This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Toy Makers Hit with Added Costs

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Toy Makers Hit with Added Costs

Postby Stormrider » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
The U.S. government recently passed stricter safety laws for toys in response to the millions of toys that were recalled last year due to lead paint. The laws are aimed at big toy manufacturers, to ensure that toys made overseas are adhere to the safety policies. Unfortunately the new laws are having a substantial negative affect on small toy makers, who can't compete with the added costs.

Under the law, all children's products must be tested for lead and other harmful substances. Toy makers are required to pay a third-party lab for the testing and to put tracking labels on all toys to show when and where they were made.

Those requirements make sense for a multinational toy manufacturer churning out thousands of plastic toys on an overseas assembly line, said Marshall. But a business that makes, for example, a few hundred handcrafted wooden baby rattles each year cannot afford to pay up to $4,000 per product for testing, a price some toy makers have been quoted, he said.

A revisement to the law is under consideration so that unfinished materials will be exempt from testing such as wood and fibers - cotton, silk, wool, hemp, flax, and linen. However, not everyone is satisfied that the proposal goes far enough to alleviate the burden on small toy makers. Because the exemptions only apply to unfinished materials, very few toy makers will have products that are entirely spared from testing, said Julia Chen, owner of The Playstore in Palo Alto, which specializes in wooden and organic playthings.

Already, some small toy manufacturers have announced that they will stop importing their toys to the U.S. or reduce their volume because they cannot afford the testing fees.

It is uncertain at this time what kind of affect these new laws will have on the small 3rd party Transformers makers, such as: Fansproject, Impossibletoys, or Justitoys. Because the toys are made from plastic, metal, and paint, they would not be exempt from the testing fees.

The product safety commission has until Jan. 5 to decide on the recommended exemptions.

To read the full article click here.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Re: Toy Makers Hit with Added Costs

Postby First-Aid » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
And the idiots in Congress strike again...

Merry Freaking Christmas...I vote to remove their pensions and salaries. All in favor?
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby muswp1 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled Assault Missile Launcher
I would vote for that too. I wonder how this would affect overseas toy sites like Action-HQ or etoysjapan??
"Why do so many people need help? Life's not that complicated. You get up, go to work, eat three meals, take one good s***, and go back to bed. What's the f***ing mystery?" - George Carlin - Complaints & Grievances
muswp1
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 3
Buy from muswp1 on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby HighPrime » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Motto: "Wake up with the King!"
Why get mad at congress? It's the toy manufacturer/buyers fault for using/buying substandard components. Lead exposure is a serious problem. Can't blame the parents (in most case).

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_ ... d_behavior

Small companies will have to find a way to adapt to survive. For companies like JustiToys, I have no sympathy. Do they have any intellectual property/ideas that hasn't been robbed from Takara/Hasbro?
HighPrime
Targetmaster
News Credits: 10
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 4
Endurance: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby NuclearConvoy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:30 pm

One more reason I'm glad I'm Canadian.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby Blackstreak » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Another reason jobs need to come back to the states. If we can't trust the foreign factories to adhere to our rules than take the business away from them. Simple as that.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby mattyc1007 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:40 am

Motto: "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Hungry"
Weapon: Sword
I dont know who I would want to be more, British or American now.

Britain- Very high Tax, Very Bad Music, Ignorant People On Ebay (another american invention runined by some greedy brits) got JXR or JKR from car robots for £20 and after the auction, said he wanted £40, one way to get bad feedback and loose a customer but has been resolved hopefully :-?. Goverment getting on my nerves.
Note. i know there is a lot of nice people wo would be offended but i only mean the minority of greedy people and people who complain about tiny ignificant little things.

America- Pound-Doller 1.04 last time i checked, could afford to live there. This with the paint. Scared to death of the weather in certain places.

Canada- Nice, dosnt have US or british safety laws,

im confused at the moment, im goign to live in spain or japan.

Transform and Chill Out!

Couldnt Resist (Check Em Out!)

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=48806

Don't delete me, not my fault I only log in every eon :(
mattyc1007
Transmetal Warrior
Watch mattyc1007 on YouTube
Alt Mode: 93 Talbot Express
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Emperor Primacron the 1st » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:54 am

Blackstreak wrote:Another reason jobs need to come back to the states. If we can't trust the foreign factories to adhere to our rules than take the business away from them. Simple as that.

Plus we get needed jobs here.

Plus the Chinese government hates us already, what better way to attack someone by selling them toxic stuff and making some cash at the same time? :-?
Emperor Primacron the 1st
Transmetal Warrior

Postby MrMunkeepants » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:41 am

I'm sure the small 3rd party Transformers makers could get around it by calling them "collector's accessories" or something similar, to make it clear that their products aren't toys intended for children.
selling all my Alternators, like new in boxes; PM me for info! I have LNIB RTS Grapple, leader Starscream, Windcharger, legends Megatron! Also: TF07 Allspark leaders
MrMunkeepants
Minibot

Postby Serpent O - R » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Like was just mentioned, stamping the products age 13+ would severely lower the chances of the buyer putting the toy in their mouth.

Stamping the toys age 13+ puts the burden and fault directly on the buyer... If the seller sells to a person under age, fault lies on the seller. Never should it reach the manufacturer unless the 'illness' can be contracted through passive contact with the item. [example; Can you open this for me? Sure... Ack, ack, sigh... Hello, emergency? My friends hands just melted off from opening a toy!]

The purpose for these laws is to generate revenue by regulating the lesser of 2 moral evils; Punish the manufacturer for making something that can be abused dangerously OR Punish the parent for not being a good parent by finding a good parent for their soon to be former child.

Personally, I feel most bad parents would celebrate the theft of their child because then they won't have to worry about getting in trouble anymore for being their ignorant selves. Unfortunately, doing so would seriously cut into the revenue generated by fining bad parents or worse yet, the bad parent might reform into a good person and no longer make deposits into the criminal revenue system. Either way, big gov loses money.

Now forcing the manufacturers to spend money in the economy by mandating third party examinations... that's money in the bank. Takara/Tomy will pay because they need to to continue making money themselves.

Fansproject, on the other hand, will be forced to close it's doors due to insane prices for the testing. How would this benefit big gov? Well, small business succeed by putting out a quality product, one that doesn't need replacing after usage as designed. That equals less taxable revenue and more unemployment, both are things hated by big gov for reasons I won't get into here. [it's worse then you think.]

In the end it's about money, not safety...

To our Brit friend who is looking for somewhere to move... I'm in America. I want to leave. I'm looking for a place where there are no preventative laws for the citizen, I'm fully capable of supporting and protecting myself and my family. Ignorance of self preservation equals death in my book, not laws that infringe on the liberties of intelligent individuals because Dingbat Darla doesn't watch out for her child's well being.

If you know a place like this, let me know and I'll split the cost of a house with you... As long as there is near 0 annual snowfall... I'm sick of the snow.
SlyTF1 wrote:I dont understand why the hell anyone would see a movie for the story, if you want a story, go read a f*ckin book.
Serpent O - R
Fuzor

Postby Stormrider » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:39 pm

I think lead poisoning can also occur through touch. It can be absorbed through the skin. I don't think eating it is the only way to get sick.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby rpetras » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Another knee-jerk reaction that is "for the children" will do nothing and cost you, the consumer, millions.

Yay.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Ariannus » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:12 am

Lead in an organic compound can be absorbed through the skin, but lead paint would have to be eaten or breathed in.

Stormrider wrote:I think lead poisoning can also occur through touch. It can be absorbed through the skin. I don't think eating it is the only way to get sick.
Ariannus
Mini-Con

Postby Emperor Primacron the 1st » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Stormrider wrote:I think lead poisoning can also occur through touch. It can be absorbed through the skin. I don't think eating it is the only way to get sick.

Yes. Skin is a very good way of transfering anything. Take one of those patches you put on the bottoms of your feet to withdraw heavy metals and other toxic material from your body, and you'll see a good example of skin transfer.

Plus some biological weapons, I believe, work on skin transfer. :-?
Emperor Primacron the 1st
Transmetal Warrior

Postby NuclearConvoy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Emperor Primacron the 1st wrote:

Yes. Skin is a very good way of transfering anything. Take one of those patches you put on the bottoms of your feet to withdraw heavy metals and other toxic material from your body, and you'll see a good example of skin transfer.

More chemical weapons go through skin than biological ones, and where would one get those heavy metal removing foot patches?
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:03 pm

First-Aid wrote:And the idiots in Congress strike again...

Because clearly, the industry can police itself and keep toys with lead-based paint from ending up on the shelves.

Oh, wait, that's right... they can't. #-o

Or won't.

Given the massive recent recall, I'd say this was inevitable. If toy companies had been monitoring the situation on their own, this wouldn't be happening.
MagnusPrimal
Transmetal Warrior

Postby Optimist_Prime » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 am

If toys coming from China and elsewhere are so **** dangerous, why don't we just load those on our B-52's.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - G. Stanley Hall, Unsourced variant
Optimist_Prime
Targetmaster

Postby Stormrider » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:21 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:
Emperor Primacron the 1st wrote:

More chemical weapons go through skin than biological ones, and where would one get those heavy metal removing foot patches?

Hahaha...perhaps Congress should create a law requiring toy makers to supply one of those patches with each toy.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby mattyc1007 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 am

Motto: "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Hungry"
Weapon: Sword
Serpent O - R wrote:To our Brit friend who is looking for somewhere to move... I'm in America. I want to leave. I'm looking for a place where there are no preventative laws for the citizen, I'm fully capable of supporting and protecting myself and my family. Ignorance of self preservation equals death in my book, not laws that infringe on the liberties of intelligent individuals because Dingbat Darla doesn't watch out for her child's well being.

If you know a place like this, let me know and I'll split the cost of a house with you... As long as there is near 0 annual snowfall... I'm sick of the snow.

im goign to spian, nice people, nice food, sunny, language isnt a problem, echanging the euro is a problem 1 euro for a pound, great tfs i cant beleive that time i picked up RID prime and magnus 5 years after their release misb. i deffently moving there, but it snows in the mountain, its worse if youre scared of the espania abonable snowman. :mrgreen: but its a great place in all, been going their 16 years and will go for the rst of my life

Transform and Chill Out!

Couldnt Resist (Check Em Out!)

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=48806

Don't delete me, not my fault I only log in every eon :(
mattyc1007
Transmetal Warrior
Watch mattyc1007 on YouTube
Alt Mode: 93 Talbot Express
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 5
Skill: 7

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S33 POWERTRAIN + HIGHJUMP Transformers Siege Micromasters Off-Road Patrol"
WFC-S33 POWERTRAIN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K38 RED ALERT Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Walgreens 2021 New"
WFC-K38 RED ALERT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUNKHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-14 Animated Movie Voyager 2022 New"
JUNKHEAP Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E38 MEGATRON Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER-13 Takara New"
NEW!
WFC-E38 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 86-02 Hasbro 2022 New"
KUP Transformers B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHEELIE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2022 New"
WHEELIE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover A IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON