This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New law restricts re-sale of kid's products

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: New law restricts re-sale of kid's products

Postby Baneblade » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Motto: "Scream....it only make it more fun"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
i really have no clue about the US legal system and why stuff like this happens, hell i have no clue about the UK legal system, but thats because they are even more retarded over here and listen to the 3% of the population that sits on their arses and do nothing but whine about almost everything that isn't done in a certain way, hell they whine if you sneeze in the wrong direction.

anyroad, i hate to be a killjoy, but i had toys with lead paint in them, i handled and worked with lead metal miniatures (games workshop) and i've had nothing serioulsy detrimental happen to me. i stuck toys in my mouth when i was a kid, held onto them with my teeth whilst getting something else, and i;ve not had anything happen to me.

personally it not the fault of the parents, its more down to the media and the manufacturers. the media for all the bloody scaremongering that they do when something "catastrophic" or "harmful" happens, and the manufacturers for not holding tighter QC on their overseas factories
Baneblade
Targetmaster
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby nemesis-prime » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Kaiser Convoy wrote:i really have no clue about the US legal system and why stuff like this happens, hell i have no clue about the UK legal system, but thats because they are even more retarded over here and listen to the 3% of the population that sits on their arses and do nothing but whine about almost everything that isn't done in a certain way, hell they whine if you sneeze in the wrong direction.

anyroad, i hate to be a killjoy, but i had toys with lead paint in them, i handled and worked with lead metal miniatures (games workshop) and i've had nothing serioulsy detrimental happen to me. i stuck toys in my mouth when i was a kid, held onto them with my teeth whilst getting something else, and i;ve not had anything happen to me.

My mom used to be a QC and she said it was unreal the amount of mistakes and shotty things that she viewed and sometimes the boss would say ship it anyway.
personally it not the fault of the parents, its more down to the media and the manufacturers. the media for all the bloody scaremongering that they do when something "catastrophic" or "harmful" happens, and the manufacturers for not holding tighter QC on their overseas factories
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 12

Postby Baneblade » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Kaiser Convoy wrote:i really have no clue about the US legal system and why stuff like this happens, hell i have no clue about the UK legal system, but thats because they are even more retarded over here and listen to the 3% of the population that sits on their arses and do nothing but whine about almost everything that isn't done in a certain way, hell they whine if you sneeze in the wrong direction.

nemesis-prime wrote:My mom used to be a QC and she said it was unreal the amount of mistakes and shotty things that she viewed and sometimes the boss would say ship it anyway.

was that what you meant to write?? lol
Baneblade
Targetmaster

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Mkall wrote:I wonder if this explains BBTS's recent warning?

BBTS wrote:Safety Warning: This Product is for Adult Collectors. It may contain sharp points, small parts that are choking hazards, and other elements that are not suitable for children under 16 years of age.

If it is, it means BBTS think that they might get sued by parents if the toys are tested later.

Funny usually laws like this are made to give the public a sense of feeling that their government is doing something to help and protect them, but its all for show and they never follow through with it and enforce it.

The only thing to come from unenforceable laws like this are law suits...
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Baneblade » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:06 pm

which means someone gets hurt and another walks away with a huge wad of cash and their face in the paper for a few weeks - but bragging rights that get overused
Baneblade
Targetmaster

Postby nemesis-prime » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Kaiser Convoy wrote:

nemesis-prime wrote:My mom used to be a QC and she said it was unreal the amount of mistakes and shotty things that she viewed and sometimes the boss would say ship it anyway.

was that what you meant to write?? lol

yes i was just stating stuff gets shipped anyway no matter way, suppliers arnt just gonna throw away inventory
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Mkall » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Found this little tidbit sorting through the law:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... =h110-4040

Sec105, 1, D, ii wrote:The term ‘retailer’ has the meaning given that term in section 3 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2052), but does not include an individual whose selling activity is intermittent and does not constitute a trade or business.

Sec201 a, a, 4 wrote:the efforts of the Commission to reach and educate retailers of second-hand products and informal sellers, such as thrift shops and yard sales, concerning consumer product safety rules and product recalls, especially those relating to durable nursery products, in order to prevent the resale of any products that have been recalled, including the development of educational materials for distribution not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act.

So it looks like second-hand merchandise may not be banned, but the government will see to their "education" whatever that means. Also it looks like if you're only selling stuff on ebay unaffiliated with a business, you should be all right. Unless you're selling stuff that's suposed to have been recalled.

I think

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby Nekoman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Motto: "Think for yourself, and think hard."
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
FP&C'ed
Nekoman
Gestalt
News Credits: 387
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Orion_Prime48 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 pm

wow they are goin outta the way to make new laws anymore arent they....... that is smart in a way to prevent lead poisoning but cmon
My Sale Thread
Sledge wrote: :shock: I REALLY don't want to know what a "cumputer" is used for. A little one-handed web surfing, perhaps?
Orion_Prime48
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 9

Postby Shadowstream » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
It's times like this I wish I could point out everything wrong with humanity in general, but that would take years.
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Nothing Hasbro does surprises me anymore, their ineptitude is legendary!

Burn wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:It's quite clear they dun dropped the ball, but did they have to drop it so far and so hard?

It's FunPub. It's their specialty.

I'm a killjoy, and proud of it!
don't take that to mean I'm a killjoy just because I can be, though...
Shadowstream
Headmaster

Postby Bumblebeast » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm surprised that there are still toys with lead in them.
Bad-ass Prime wants YOUR face !!!
Bumblebeast
Vehicon
News Credits: 1

Postby Serpent O - R » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Agent 007 wrote:lame, now quick we gotta form a tf underground railroad! :P

We can start with H-O-S Optimus Prime...

ok, not that funny, but still.

This is retarded [no offense intended].

All this is is a way to generate more revenue for the american government and its patron saints, the lobbyists.
SlyTF1 wrote:I dont understand why the hell anyone would see a movie for the story, if you want a story, go read a f*ckin book.
Serpent O - R
Fuzor
News Credits: 3

Postby nemesis-prime » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 am

This will only make someone put some "LEAD" in some government ass. LOL
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby CollectionTF » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 am

It's not going to affect us as a collector. Plus BBTS was thier every product has a safety warning that says "not suitable for children under 16 years of age."

I mean so what, the toy has be tested, big deal. It has happened before.
CollectionTF
Mini-Con

Postby First-Aid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 am

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
It's very interesting to see how the US works anymore. This is supposedly a democracy (or a representative republic, according to the Constitution) in which the majority should rule. However, what we are finding more and more is that it is not the majority that rules, but the MINORITY. One example: several states put up votes on gay marriage...which to me is really a non-issue, but the governments felt that the people should choose. The people voted and the majority ruled in those cases. However, the MINORITY proceeded to get the law changed in their favor or altered DESPITE the majority vote. Now I am using this only as an example; gay rights, like I said, are a non-issue for me...6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to get in the middle of it. This lead paint thing is another of these situations where a SMALL minority of the toys used these paints. I'm all for safety but is anyone really aware 1) how much lead it takes to have an adverse affect on a human being and 2) how relatively LITTLE exposure this is? There are ZERO news reports about kids being affected by this...just that lead was found in the paint! This would be another case where, if properly researched numbers were to come out to the public and they were allowed to actually vote on it, the majority would vote the law down...and then it would promptly be overturned by the minority.

Pathetic, really. This could conceivably be a MAJOR economic blow, especially to people who sell these for a living (and it is a major market). THe small business lobbies have to be spinning in their seats right now.
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby Savage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 am

Weapon: Diffraction Sword
This is sad. Why target the sellers and consumers? We don't need this law, we need reliable and thorough quality control in the manufacturing process.
WANTED: Botcon 2007 Dreadwind | BotCon 2014 Scorponok & Devcon
Savage
Godmaster
News Credits: 97
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8

Postby Stormrider » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:53 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
i_amtrunks wrote:
Mkall wrote:I wonder if this explains BBTS's recent warning?

BBTS wrote:Safety Warning: This Product is for Adult Collectors. It may contain sharp points, small parts that are choking hazards, and other elements that are not suitable for children under 16 years of age.

If it is, it means BBTS think that they might get sued by parents if the toys are tested later.

Funny usually laws like this are made to give the public a sense of feeling that their government is doing something to help and protect them, but its all for show and they never follow through with it and enforce it.

The only thing to come from unenforceable laws like this are law suits...

I tend to agree. I think the U.S. Government is going to cave on this law and requirements for resellers, the same way they are caving right now on the terms they setup for retailers with toys and clothes. The terminology is too broad and unenforceable. They are also too costly and prohibitive. Can you imagine how many laboratories there need to be in order test all the potential clothes and toys in the U.S. for each reseller? There would be a back log of testing for months and months.

I don't see them going after small resellers. In fact, the terms above state that most eBay sellers are excluded from the term "reseller". However, with all of that said, I wouldn't put it past eBay to come up with some new ridiculous rule that makes it difficult to sell toys.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Ravage XK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 am

Motto: "Are those my feet?"
Weapon: 20 Megavolt Stun Rifle
Its all a bit daft.

If we are talking G1 toys containing lead and I dont know if they do or not. These a mostly sold/bought by collectors and I dont know many collectors that would hunt down a G1 Smokescreen just so he could give it a good lick.

TF COUNT: Lost count!
Latest Additions: Haslab Unicron, Siege Jetifre, SS Blitzwing
Ravage XK
Gestalt
News Credits: 15
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:17 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Laws have to be enforcable.

This will never fly.

You guys are too jumpy.

::kicks dirt at reactive legislation::
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Firepower: 4

Postby Optimist_Prime » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 am

They want to enforce this with flee markets and yard sales? :)) :)) :))

Hey, all the more luck to 'em :P .

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - G. Stanley Hall, Unsourced variant
Optimist_Prime
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Zeds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:00 am

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
Glad I sold off the majority of my collection on eBay already. This is stupid.

I would just start posting on eBay CANADA to get around the issue, but US customs may confiscate the parcel once it tries to cross the border once inspected.

I really think the US government has more pressing issues than this to deal with don't you?
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Speed: 4

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Counterpunch wrote:Laws have to be enforcable.

This will never fly.

You guys are too jumpy.

::kicks dirt at reactive legislation::
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Firepower: 4

Postby insanityzmaster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 am

Yeah you would think in a day and age when we have starvation and poverty and all kinds of wars and crazy crap happening that the govt would worry a lil less that (insert name) is trying to eek out a meager existence by selling old stuff at a flea market or in his eBay store seriously wtf!!!
insanityzmaster
Minibot

Postby nemesis-prime » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 am

well im gonna sell stuff untill i get some kind of notice to stop, i might have to stop shipping to canada thou :-x
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby DMSL » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am

Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
DOn't they have anything better to do than to come up with stupid restrictions like this? I understand the part about lead in new toys, but come on.
DMSL
Transmetal Warrior
Watch DMSL on YouTube
Intelligence: 9
Firepower: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME ALLIANCE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 1RI (CA) Santolouco"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #55 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2020 AUG201012 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr H 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUN230686 9H (CA) Nakayama"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Cvr L 1:25 virgin Dynamite Comics 2022 OCT220553 1L (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #1 Cvr L ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #6 Cvr E Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney MAR230497 6E (CA) Lee"
GARGOYLES #6 Cvr E ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr M 1:20 Dynamite Comics 2024 Disney AUG230328 11M (CA) Lee"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr J 1:20 action figure Dynamite Comics JUN230665 2J"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr G 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220589 2G (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr G ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Garbage Pail Kids TRASHIN THROUGH TIME #4 Cvr D Dynamite Comics NOV230234 4D GPK"
NEW!
Garbage Pail Kids ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #3 Cvr F 1:25 Boom Studios Comics 2023 DEC220388 3F"
MMPR TMNT II #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR 30TH ANNV SPECIAL #1 Cvr H 1:10 Boom Studios Comics JUN230426 (CA) Mercado"
MMPR 30TH ANNV SPE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #12 Cvr I 1:10 Dynamite Comics SEP230265 12I (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #12 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv ENDLESS SUMMER Cvr C 1:10 IDW Comics JUN231429 Tango"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #2 Cvr F 1:25 Boom Studios Comics NOV220378 2F Eastman + Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #2 Cv ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe protectobot Groove" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Movie Anniversary Edition Optimus Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON