This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Buried Treasure Review - G1 Snapdragon

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Buried Treasure Review - G1 Snapdragon

Postby Skowl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:43 am

The year 2009 marks the 25th anniversary of the Transformers franchise. To celebrate this incredible milestone, Seibertron.com will look back at a quarter-century of great Transformers toys, bringing back into the limelight some brilliant figures that have fallen through the cracks over the years. Once a week, a fan (be it a member of the staff or a user on the site) will have the opportunity to write about one of their favourite "hidden gems" of the Transformers Universe, and have their review posted on the site's front page.

We hope this feature will be a great success, and that many of you will be encouraged to look back at the last 25 years of Transformers and perhaps take a worthwhile second-look at some real unsung classics of the Transformers universe.

Buried Treasure - Snapdragon (Generation 1 series - 1987)

by Jeep?

Ah, good old Snapdragon. Who could forget that loveably stinking filth-ridden Horrorcon? Well, if you were one of the unfortunates without the toy in your collection, you’d be forgiven for missing his hi-then-bye appearances in “The Rebirth” and the Marvel Comics series, since this is a character whose real legacy lies in moulded plastic, screws and washers. Now, since I didn’t have the toy growing up (being raised in the time of G2 and the European ‘Classic Series’ re-releases, coupled with the fecker being three years older than I am), I can’t speak for precisely how awesome he was considered ‘way back when’, - though the TV advert for the Horrorcons does feature a suitably enthused kiddo revelling in owning the thing. No, I’ve owned the fellow for a grand total of around six or seven months, and even in this day and age of high-tech ball joints and flashing lights, he blew me away.

For those who don’t know, the Horrorcons were a triple-changing subgroup (well, duo) of the Headmasters series – which meant that in addition to the Headmaster gimmick of a removable head which transformed into an additional robot, the Horrorcons (Snappy and his buddy Apeface) also featured two modes, one being a fighter jet and the other an animal - in Snappy’s case, appropriately, a dinosaur. Another interesting twist is that the Headmaster partner forms both the robot-mode and animal-mode heads, which I suppose could be considered two triple-changers in one box? Eh? Ah, worth a try.

It’s probably best to look at the jet mode first, as it’s the mode he’s packaged in whilst in the box, and the mode I received mine shipped in when I got it second-hand. As you can see here:

He’s got quite a long nose for a jet, with an opening cockpit to place his Headmaster partner – the oddly named Krunk – into. His twin guns fit under the wings, whilst two detachable fins adorn the top side. As jets go, it’s quite interesting, with a strangely sleek design more reminiscent of a star-ship than a fighter jet. Either way it’s a bundle of awesome.

Next mode is the dinosaur mode (labelled as a lizard, but damn it, you know that’s a T-Rex, and you knew it back then too!). It’s a relatively simple transformation, most of which involves flipping the jet round and spinning the turbines round to form the legs. Here’s the first instance of Krunk being used a Headmaster, when he fits into a socket in the flip-out neck used for the dinosaur. Showing an angry gob full of teeth, appropriately enough coloured a nice suggestive red, the angry lizard is further augmented with the addition of the two guns which can now be mounted on his back (or in his stubby little dino hands if you really want). You can see the blighter here:

Worth noting here is the articulation in his tail – while not as articulated as some later figures, it’s surprising for a toy of this era to have detail like this, especially when the tail serves a whole other purpose as a jet nose – but there are two points of articulation there, allowing a few poses to be worked out, and helping with any balance issues the toy might have.

However, the real joy of Snapdragon's toy is his robot mode. Humorously, the robot seems a complete reversal of the dinosaur, with the legs of one forming the arms of the other, and vice-versa. In fact, the robot mode head even plugs into what we could assume to be the dinosaur’s, well, poop hole. Again armed with his twin balance-destroying gyro guns, the figure is remarkably articulated for a toy of its time, as you can see here:

Of course, the main gimmick of the Headmasters line is revealed behind the flip-down panel on his chest, revealing three of his tech spec stats – speed, strength and intelligence. Without Krunk, all of these seemingly read as zero, but plugging in the Headmaster partner gives our little Snappy a definite boost to Strength 10, Speed 9 and Intelligence 9. Head on! The Headmaster gimmick is interchangeable throughout the entire line, with each Headmaster partner giving different stat boosts to whatever robot they’re attached to. Try it out if you have any of them.

As for Krunk himself, there isn’t a lot to say but it’s worth saying it, I suppose. His small size and the necessity for several uses means he’s not much more than functional, though he is able to move his arms up and down, either for a hug or a zombie shuffle – or, in a pinch, the monster mash. The nature of his dual head modes means that as a robot head, he’s got the yellowest cheeks you’ll ever see, and as a dinosaur head, there’s a disturbing purple mouth-plate on top of his noggin, but overlooking these is easy enough in light of everything.

Overall, the toy holds up well even today, although it is prone to a bit of yellowing due to the huge areas of white adorning it. Thankfully, with the black and dark purple parts offering a good contrast, this isn’t enough to ruin the figure. A highly recommended figure, and a buried treasure well worth digging up – or searching for.

Links:

Snapdragon gallery
Headmaster Krunk gallery
...Or find your own buried treasures by visiting all the toy galleries here!
*** If you would like to submit a review for our Buried Treasure feature, please send a private message to Skowl on the Seibertron.com forums!

Previous Buried Treasure Reviews:

Image Cannonball by Skowl (Link)
Last edited by Skowl on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Re: Buried Treasure Review - G1 Snapdragon

Postby Lorekeeper » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Weapon: Venom Blaster
Bird mode!

Alternate transformation of jet mode.

Cockpit=head, bend at tail articulation points.

Dinohands= bird feet.

This made me think of Snapdragon as a cousin to skylynx :)
Lorekeeper
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Courage: 4
Firepower: 2
Skill: 9

Postby 8 bit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Motto: "You only live thrice."
Weapon: Buffalo Missile
Great review! Snapdragon has some pretty decent articulation for G1.
Jeep? wrote:The Headmaster gimmick is interchangeable throughout the entire line, with each Headmaster partner giving different stat boosts to whatever robot they’re attached to. Try it out if you have any of them.

I never knew this. Unfortunately, I only have one Headmaster.
8 bit
Targetmaster
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Technically weird » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Motto: "Cut a hole in the box!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Officially 10x cooler thanks to you.
Technically weird
Minibot
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 7
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 4
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Sledge » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Top choice, sir. Easily one of my favorite G1 figures. Shame I need to get the fins and gyro guns for mine. :( But a cracking figure, and one I'm always surprised isn't more widely regarded.
For anyone who hasn't seen Spotlight: Sledge (and why not?!), my gritty and dark fanfiction piece "Holiday" is posted here.
Sledge
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Location: In front of a computer, facing the monitor. Why would you want to know that?

Postby Dread_Wing » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Motto: "We Decepticons are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun!"
Weapon: Laser-Guided Electro-Kinetic Blasters
Snapdragon was always neat. I have never seen him for an affordable price. Something about a WHITE SR-71 Blackbird, lol.
Dread_Wing
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby Jeep? » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Dread_Wing wrote:Snapdragon was always neat. I have never seen him for an affordable price. Something about a WHITE SR-71 Blackbird, lol.

You're going to hate me for saying mine was twenty pounds sterling, aren't you?
Founding member of the RDD
Member of the 100% Strafe Club (Pre-Reset)
Interviewed by Kamijin
Toy reviews: Snapdragon|Octopunch

Omega Sentinel wrote:Man that's the truth. I hate that OS guy.
Jeep?
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 1
Location: Cursing at ignorant strangers with terrible pronunciation, Sawyers Deli, Fountain Street, Belfast

Postby Rodentus Prime » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

This guy is the only headmaster I bought as a kid and I still have him - I agree that he's a top figure.
Rodentus Prime
Vehicon

Postby Dread_Wing » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Motto: "We Decepticons are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun!"
Weapon: Laser-Guided Electro-Kinetic Blasters
Jeep? wrote:You're going to hate me for saying mine was twenty pounds sterling, aren't you?

60 NZ dollars for one in that condition? Nice. I do want at least one headmaster for my collection, I have a powermaster and a couple of targetmasters, I would like it to be either Snapdragon, Scorponok or Fort Max. In my current 'Out of work and still want to buy MP Grimlock' mode, I would probably be forced to turn him down even for 60 dollars. :(
Dread_Wing
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby Mykltron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Nice review - full of childish excitement and bounce! Don't be offended - I'm like that with a new TF and I grew up with G1! I had (and still have) Snapdragon as a kid and I can tell you he was SO awesome for me then.

FYI his jet mode is based on the Blackbird SR71, which is what Jetfire is going to be in ROTF.

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby Rated X » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Pretty cool. I got this guy from my childhood collection. Still in good condition too. Only thing I always hated as a kid was how in dinosaur mode his head points up in the air instead of looking straight foward. I actually bought him cause his jet mode is a spin-off of the SR-71 Blackbird, one of my favorite jets. Cant wait to see how the ROTF Jetfire is gonna look in voyager !!!

Peace
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Stormrider » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:23 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Fun review. I have both him and Apeface. They're a cool spin on the Headmaster series. If you're into Headmaster, you definitely should get him. The dual use of the head is creative. I also think the coloring is rad.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby High_Q » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:22 am

BumbleScream84 wrote:Great review! Snapdragon has some pretty decent articulation for G1.
Jeep? wrote:The Headmaster gimmick is interchangeable throughout the entire line, with each Headmaster partner giving different stat boosts to whatever robot they’re attached to. Try it out if you have any of them.

I never knew this. Unfortunately, I only have one Headmaster.

This cool ability is called "Cross Head On!" in the Japanese Headmasters cartoon series.
High_Q
Mini-Con

Postby SJ21 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I had this guy and my brother had Apeface when we were kids. Those to toys got more use that any other. Great toys.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Godmaster
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Random » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 am

Wow! I loved this guy when I was a kid. He was the first headmaster I ever got. I remember when we got home, I transformed him a few times then set him up in dino form in front of Zod-from the Gobots.

Come to think of it, I have his head somewhere.
Random
Vehicon
News Credits: 2

Postby Cyber Bishop » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:59 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
Snapdragon has always been one of my favorite Headmasters.
Great review.
Not a sheeple.
Think for yourself, don't let the magic TV box and social media do the thinking for you.
Question EVERYTHING!!
Just because you have a youtube review channel doesn't make you special.
No, I am not friendly online or in real life.
I look forward to attending a Botcon only to settle matters with idiots in person.
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 103
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Postby Black Bumblebee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 am

I got this guy as part of a junk lot once... unfortunately, he was missing his fins and guns--but he did come with a headmaster head...

...the one for Apeface. :?

So, although I cannot fully appreciate the awesomeness that is Snapdragon, I'm 85 percent of the way there!
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby ponycorn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Oh slag yes! I think I saw that guy at a vintage toy shop recently. Didn't know who the white decepticon jet was. After that review, I'm definately going back to see A: If it is Snapdragon and B: If he has a head/Krunk and C: Pick him up if all of the above are true.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Iron Prime » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Weapon: Energo-Sword
Very nicely done! I always thought he was cool - someday I'll find one for my collection!
*Formerly Snarlus Prime

sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:You are honorable enough to join the house of STO :grin:

Let us pick up arms and join the battle :twisted:
Iron Prime
Brainmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby craggy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:22 pm

got this guy when i were a wee lad.

very fun toy, gimmick mash-up that he is. quite a lot of articulation for the time (head, shoulders, knees and toes...well, shoulders, elbows, hips and knees anyway, double the standard headmasters) a couple of cool alt modes. i think i still have mine complete stored away.

recommended if you're into that sort of thing.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Firebird » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Weapon: Blinding Black Light Beam Gun
Black Bumblebee wrote:I got this guy as part of a junk lot once... unfortunately, he was missing his fins and guns--but he did come with a headmaster head...

...the one for Apeface. :?

So, although I cannot fully appreciate the awesomeness that is Snapdragon, I'm 85 percent of the way there!

Hey at least your 85% closer than I am.

Snapdragon is on the short list of G1 transformers that I hope to start picking up soon.
Twitter - @FirebirdGT
:BOT: [AWC]
Firebird
Godmaster
News Credits: 4
Buy from Firebird on eBay

Postby pietrestan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:22 am

great review. nice articulation and the blockiness of the character makes it almost "cute." had forgotten about the headmaster gimmick showing different tech-specs depending on what head you used.
pietrestan
Mini-Con
Location: Now in Chicago. Formerly in Boston. Grew up in NYC.

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E22 QUINTESSON JUDGE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER EX-08"
NEW!
WFC-E22 QUINTESSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EXO-SUIT SPIKE WITWICKY Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class 2022 230131A"
EXO-SUIT SPIKE WIT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Studio Series 86-16 G1 Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR Transformers Studio Series 86-03 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
BLURR Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT SLUDGE Transformers Studio Series 86-15 Movie Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
DINOBOT SLUDGE Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHEELIE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2022 New"
WHEELIE Transforme ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Huffer Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON