This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Mosaic: "Youthful Ignorance"

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers Mosaic: "Youthful Ignorance"

Postby Richter » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

The Universe of the Transformers is vast, and populated by many characters. Their universe is a large tapestry, made up of the stories and points of view of countless experiences that serve the larger whole.

These are some of those stories. This is:

It should be noted that while this project has been recognized by IDW Publishing and Hasbro, none of the works presented have been commissioned or solicited by either company. The stories are not official canon, except where noted. These stories are the result of Transformers enthusiasts taking the time out of their busy days to contribute to a universe they love. No one has been paid for the production of these stories.

For all Transformers news / updates / information, click here

YOUTHFUL IGNORANCE

Story by;
Curt “Duke of Luns” Lunsford

Art & Letters by;
Cappeca

Richter
Targetmaster
News Credits: 430

Re: Transformers Mosaic: "Youthful Ignorance"

Postby Black Bumblebee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:44 am

Poor 'bee. I'd make a joke about him going "emo," but that wouldn't be fitting for the work done here. Good job.
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby uranimusprime » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:14 am

Cool premise for a short story. I don't think Optimus would call Bumblebee a "true autobot" just for killing a 'con. He'd be the sort that would reassure him about his contributions without having to kill someone though. Good work.
uranimusprime
Mini-Con

Postby Wingspan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:14 am

Motto: "Death is not the end."
Well done on all fronts*; this was good.

*Accurate dialogue, panel design, use of toys, Ark background, etc.
Omnis enim, qui mala agit, odit lucem et non venit ad lucem, ut non arguantur opera eius; qui autem facit veritatem, venit ad lucem, ut manifestentur eius opera, quia in Deo sunt facta. Translation

XBox 360: BrandedByFlame
Wingspan
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Duke of Luns » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:00 am

uranimusprime wrote:Cool premise for a short story. I don't think Optimus would call Bumblebee a "true autobot" just for killing a 'con. He'd be the sort that would reassure him about his contributions without having to kill someone though. Good work.

That seems to be the most common criticism. On the one hand, maybe I did overlook that small fact. However, Prime is a soldier, and I was portraying him as a "General" of sorts, and like everyone else in the piece, maybe has "dehumanized" their enemy over time.

Or, maybe Bee's grief is misconstrueing Prime's words.
Duke of Luns
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby Chaoslock » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:06 am

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Duke of Luns wrote:
uranimusprime wrote:Cool premise for a short story. I don't think Optimus would call Bumblebee a "true autobot" just for killing a 'con. He'd be the sort that would reassure him about his contributions without having to kill someone though. Good work.

That seems to be the most common criticism. On the one hand, maybe I did overlook that small fact. However, Prime is a soldier, and I was portraying him as a "General" of sorts, and like everyone else in the piece, maybe has "dehumanized" their enemy over time.

Well, the G1 Prime or most of the bots would never agree on killing, Shattered Prime or the Movie-verse Prime would...

Still, the artwork is good, but this feels like a Shattered Glass story.
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Tigertrack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:21 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Nice job Luns. I enjoyed it a lot!
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby First-Aid » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:28 am

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
Absolutely wonderful Mosaic. One of my faves for sure.
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby esclavo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 am

Weapon: 20 Megavolt Stun Rifle
Nice mosaic! I love the art and the way you used the figures to portray the story. Story is great also. I like the fact that Optimus acts more like a general than his G1 self. It is war after all. Nice piece.
esclavo
Minibot
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+

Postby Skullgrin140 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:37 pm

You really have to feel sorry for Bumblebee, hard to see such a character like him having thoughts of guilt and selfloathing.

But well written mosaic and also great use of toys for the art.
Skullgrin140
Brainmaster

Postby Megatron Wolf » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I dont think prime would say that in this context. I never realized how small BB was compared to Prime. I knew he was small but damn hes small.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Head Shot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm

yet another crappy mosaic... am I the only one who really hates these things or am I just seriously that crazy? All they ever really seem to be is some poorly written fan-wank, and I have yet to see one that I actually like.

First off, to one of the first posters saying that the writing is accurate.... yeah its accurate if we were talking about the shattered glass universe, but none of the autobots in my mind with the exception of a few like Ironhide ever glorified killing the 'cons. Beating them by stopping them from doing further harm to the planet and other living things was glorified, even beating the pulp out of them, but killing?

Do you all forget this was a children's cartoon and not some poorly written science fiction that glorifies robots killing eachother? The autobots were never blood thirsty soldiers, and from the depiction of this, every autobot in this story, ESPECIALLY PRIME, are waaaaaay out of character. Absolutely trash writing whoever came up with the dialogue. Very good message in regards with Bumblebee's morality, and the deeper meaning behind the whole segment, but thats all defiled by the terrible dialogue and out of character personifactions of Jazz, Prime, and the others.

Flame me if you want, but I just can't stand these things... and I've tried to like them but simply can't. Maybe theres something wrong with me, or maybe its just that I can't stand 99.9999999% of fanfiction for anything. :?
Head Shot
Vehicon

Postby Mega Zarak » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Head Shot wrote:yet another crappy mosaic... am I the only one who really hates these things or am I just seriously that crazy? All they ever really seem to be is some poorly written fan-wank, and I have yet to see one that I actually like.

First off, to one of the first posters saying that the writing is accurate.... yeah its accurate if we were talking about the shattered glass universe, but none of the autobots in my mind with the exception of a few like Ironhide ever glorified killing the 'cons. Beating them by stopping them from doing further harm to the planet and other living things was glorified, even beating the pulp out of them, but killing?

Do you all forget this was a children's cartoon and not some poorly written science fiction that glorifies robots killing eachother? The autobots were never blood thirsty soldiers, and from the depiction of this, every autobot in this story, ESPECIALLY PRIME, are waaaaaay out of character. Absolutely trash writing whoever came up with the dialogue. Very good message in regards with Bumblebee's morality, and the deeper meaning behind the whole segment, but thats all defiled by the terrible dialogue and out of character personifactions of Jazz, Prime, and the others.

Flame me if you want, but I just can't stand these things... and I've tried to like them but simply can't. Maybe theres something wrong with me, or maybe its just that I can't stand 99.9999999% of fanfiction for anything. :?

No I'm not going to flame you, you are entitled to your opinion. But what was the purpose of your post? You took something that someone worked hard on and lumped in all the others for that matter and really just spit on them. "Another crappy mosaic" is really what I'm talking about, I've seen my share of bad ones but decline to comment. You know that old saying, if you can't say something nice... Not everyone is a prize winning author.
Mega Zarak
Micromaster

Postby hippymule » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Motto: "stop begging and die!"
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
thats geneis real pictures of tfs tured into a comic pure genies
hippymule
Minibot
Strength: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby hippymule » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Motto: "stop begging and die!"
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
Mega Zarak wrote:
Head Shot wrote:yet another crappy mosaic... am I the only one who really hates these things or am I just seriously that crazy? All they ever really seem to be is some poorly written fan-wank, and I have yet to see one that I actually like.

No I'm not going to flame you, you are entitled to your opinion. But what was the purpose of your post? You took something that someone worked hard on and lumped in all the others for that matter and really just spit on them. "Another crappy mosaic" is really what I'm talking about, I've seen my share of bad ones but decline to comment. You know that old saying, if you can't say something nice... Not everyone is a prize winning author.
seconed on that man
hippymule
Minibot
Strength: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby spiritofcat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I like the use of photos. It's a good look.
I do have to disagree with the characterisation though, especially Prime.
Like plenty of others before me have said, killing cons has never been the goal for the Autobots.
However, if Bumblebee had killed Starscream by accident I can imagine some of the troops being quite pleased and impressed.
I can agree with Bumblebee's side of the story.
spiritofcat
Combiner

Postby Sledge » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Before we begin, you're sadly entitled to your opinion, and even to express it. But I'm going to rip it to shreds because you don't seem to have put any thought into it.
Well, sucks to be you. I can think of several so good that I've saved them to my hard drive so I can enjoy them again and again. Poorly-written? Let's see how you back that up.
First of all, where do you see anyone praising BB for killing? They're complimenting him on a job well done. I doubt very much that the job BB was sent to do was killing what looks like Skywarp. Looks to me more like BB did his job and had to kill someone in the process.

Second, are you at all familiar with the characters? Let's look at who is complimenting him. Jazz: according to his profile, he "takes most dangerous missions," and he's a special ops agent. Doesn't sound like someone who'd shy away from killing.

Sunstreaker "is a very calm, competent, and ruthless war machine." Yeah, I'll bet he cries himself to sleep every time he has to kill a 'Con.

Sideswipe "relishes a fight to the finish with an opponent. Uses underhanded tactics when absolutely necessary." Why, this just doesn't seem to be supporting your point at all, does it? It's... it's almost like you were talking out of your rear end! :o

Do you all forget this was a children's cartoon and not some poorly written science fiction that glorifies robots killing eachother?
No. It's a series of toy robots that, over the years has spawned several cartoon shows, movies and comic books. And in every single one of them, characters have got killed. "Glorifies"? Did you actually read this? The whole frickin' point is about how terrible it is to kill someone, even an enemy! Jeez, people like you are the reason crap fiction gets made. Why bother putting some effort in when some numpty will come along, not pay attention then miss the point and blame the writer?
The autobots were never blood thirsty soldiers, and from the depiction of this, every autobot in this story, ESPECIALLY PRIME, are waaaaaay out of character.
Already covered this. You don't know those characters well. And, of course, I'll ask you to show me where Prime is saying "Way to go on slaughtering the enemy."
Absolutely trash writing whoever came up with the dialogue. Very good message in regards with Bumblebee's morality, and the deeper meaning behind the whole segment, but thats all defiled by the terrible dialogue and out of character personifactions of Jazz, Prime, and the others.
Again, try paying attention to what you're reading. Or just go back to watching the Matrix sequels.

Yes, there's something wrong with you. You don't pay attention to what you're reading and you don't know as much as you think you do about Transformers.

So, what do I think? I like it. The characters are in character, which is something a lot of TF fanfic writers have trouble with.
For anyone who hasn't seen Spotlight: Sledge (and why not?!), my gritty and dark fanfiction piece "Holiday" is posted here.
Sledge
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Location: In front of a computer, facing the monitor. Why would you want to know that?

Postby olokin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:44 pm

The effect is scratchy but I like it. I'd like more of this type of Mosaic utilizing actual toys.
olokin
City Commander

Postby Editor » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
Ok, First off. I like this Mosaic. Good story great imagery, a well thought out idea, presented brilliantly.

And for all the people who are criticizing this work, here is why.

At what point do any of them congrat BB for killing? I don't see any clear indication of them doing so. What I do see is that they are proud of him for completing a mission or a battle.

Yes, clearly he took out a Seeker during that time and it is weighing heavily on him, but there is not one direct indication that their praise is for him killing.

When taken in that light, every single one of them is reacting completely within character.

Great job.
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby DoubleOScorpio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 pm

To Head Shot - If the Mosaics have been such a disappointment to you, why not write one yourself? Put your money where your pie hole is!

To Luns - excellent job on this. I love the use of figures and the story. I felt bad for Bumbles and loved the body language in the last frame. It drove home how upset he was. Great job!!!
DoubleOScorpio
Vehicon

Postby Tiby » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 pm

I understood Prime's words to mean that Bumblebee was a true Autobot as he was suffering from these feelings of guilt, doubt and inner turmoil after taking a life, not simply because he took a life.

I thought Bumblebee's thoughts showed that he missed Prime's point after getting all the cheers from the other Autobots.

Great Mosaic! Keep them coming!
Tiby
Mini-Con

Postby Mr O » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Motto: ""No way out but through.""
Weapon: No Weapon
This is great. I love it. I want more. If I hated it I wouldn't have posted, at least not without offering something I considered better in it's place. Why slag something you could just disregard? For the sake of it? Insecure? Unimaginative? I made up my own stories when I played with TF's as a child and though I'm way past toy age now I still make up stories, it's fun. What's wrong with being creative? Mosaic is one of the coolest things I can be bothered with right now and whether I'm familiar with the continuity or not I appreciate the creativity and self-motivation for their own sake. Mosaic forever! Head Shots tend to damage the thinking.
Sorry to ramble.
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime. I'm havin' hoops!"
Mr O
Brainmaster
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: ???
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A

Postby ponycorn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Reminds me of G1 Marvel Bumblebee. Remember when he "runs away" early on in the comics. Very true to that character.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Duke of Luns » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Sledge wrote:Before we begin, you're sadly entitled to your opinion, and even to express it. But I'm going to rip it to shreds because you don't seem to have put any thought into it.
Well, sucks to be you. I can think of several so good that I've saved them to my hard drive so I can enjoy them again and again. Poorly-written? Let's see how you back that up.
First of all, where do you see anyone praising BB for killing? They're complimenting him on a job well done. I doubt very much that the job BB was sent to do was killing what looks like Skywarp. Looks to me more like BB did his job and had to kill someone in the process.

Second, are you at all familiar with the characters? Let's look at who is complimenting him. Jazz: according to his profile, he "takes most dangerous missions," and he's a special ops agent. Doesn't sound like someone who'd shy away from killing.

Sunstreaker "is a very calm, competent, and ruthless war machine." Yeah, I'll bet he cries himself to sleep every time he has to kill a 'Con.

Sideswipe "relishes a fight to the finish with an opponent. Uses underhanded tactics when absolutely necessary." Why, this just doesn't seem to be supporting your point at all, does it? It's... it's almost like you were talking out of your rear end! :o

Do you all forget this was a children's cartoon and not some poorly written science fiction that glorifies robots killing eachother?
No. It's a series of toy robots that, over the years has spawned several cartoon shows, movies and comic books. And in every single one of them, characters have got killed. "Glorifies"? Did you actually read this? The whole frickin' point is about how terrible it is to kill someone, even an enemy! Jeez, people like you are the reason crap fiction gets made. Why bother putting some effort in when some numpty will come along, not pay attention then miss the point and blame the writer?
The autobots were never blood thirsty soldiers, and from the depiction of this, every autobot in this story, ESPECIALLY PRIME, are waaaaaay out of character.
Already covered this. You don't know those characters well. And, of course, I'll ask you to show me where Prime is saying "Way to go on slaughtering the enemy."
Absolutely trash writing whoever came up with the dialogue. Very good message in regards with Bumblebee's morality, and the deeper meaning behind the whole segment, but thats all defiled by the terrible dialogue and out of character personifactions of Jazz, Prime, and the others.
Again, try paying attention to what you're reading. Or just go back to watching the Matrix sequels.
So, what do I think? I like it. The characters are in character, which is something a lot of TF fanfic writers have trouble with.

Thanks for the compliments! But uh, I kinda was consiously writing them as congratulating Bee on the kill.... :oops:

However, maybe subconsiously I wasn't, and it can work both ways. The way I see it(and have said on Devart and IDW) is that Bee is not a soldier, and isn't one of the "boys". In a lot of war media soldiers brag about how many kills they got during a battle, and they kind of look at Bee finally nailing a 'Con as a "job well done". They aren't necessarily wrong, they've just been entrenched in a millenia long struggle and have kind of "dehumanized" the enemy.

However, the main point stayed the same(Bee being grief stricken over taking a life), and I'm glad a majority of people seemed to have "got it".
Duke of Luns
Gestalt

Postby Sledge » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:38 pm

To be honest, that still works. Bumblebee's a little guy. I'd congratulate him for taking down someone twice his size.
For anyone who hasn't seen Spotlight: Sledge (and why not?!), my gritty and dark fanfiction piece "Holiday" is posted here.
Sledge
Gestalt
Location: In front of a computer, facing the monitor. Why would you want to know that?

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1071 Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0223DC047 1071A (CA) Cagle"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1 var New Champions Marvel Comics 2023 AUG230653 Andolfo"
SENSATIONAL SHE-HU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Symbiote Spider-Man KING IN BLACK #1 variant Marvel Comics 2020 (CA) Randolph"
Symbiote Spider-Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #398 DC Comics 1989 (CA) Mandrake (W) Greenberger (A)García-López 230915A"
BATMAN #398 DC Com ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18 Marvel Comics 2023 NOV220766 (W) Wells (CA) Romita Jr"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #685 DC Comics 1995 (CA) Dixon + Nolan+Janson (W) Dixon 230915A"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #141 Cvr F Bat Symbol Zur En Arrh DC Comics 2024 1023DC805 141F"
BATMAN #141 Cvr F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #14 Marvel Comics 2022 SEP220862 (CA) Romita Jr 240427E"
NEW!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #25 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2021 FEB210581 (CA) Pichelli"
MILES MORALES SPID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #3 Cvr C DC Comics 2023 0223DC021 3C (W) Williamson (CA) Mattina"
SUPERMAN #3 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ACTION COMICS #1056 Cvr G 1:25 Superman DC Comics 0423DC054 1056G (CA) Lopez"
ACTION COMICS #105 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #5 Cvr E 1:25 DC Comics 2023 0423DC046 5E (W) Williamson (CA) Sherman"
SUPERMAN #5 Cvr E ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #142 3rd ptg DC Comics 2024 1223DC879 (CA) Camuncoli + Nesi (W) Zdarsky"
NEW!
BATMAN #142 3rd pt ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SAVAGE SPIDER-MAN #2 var Marvel Comics 2022 JAN220884 (CA) Lim (W) Kelly"
SAVAGE SPIDER-MAN ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON