This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Buried Treasure Review - Cybertron Dirt Boss

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Buried Treasure Review - Cybertron Dirt Boss

Postby Skowl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:55 pm

After a temporary hiatus, the Buried Treasure feature on Seibertron.com has now returned!

The year 2009 marks the 25th anniversary of the Transformers franchise. To celebrate this incredible milestone, Seibertron.com will look back at a quarter-century of great Transformers toys, bringing back into the limelight some brilliant figures that have fallen through the cracks over the years. Once a week, a fan (be it a member of the staff or a user on the site) will have the opportunity to write about one of their favourite "hidden gems" of the Transformers Universe, and have their review posted on the site's front page.

We hope this feature will be a great success, and that many of you will be encouraged to look back at the last 25 years of Transformers and perhaps take a worthwhile second-look at some real unsung classics of the Transformers universe.

Buried Treasure - Dirt Boss (Cybertron series - 2005)

By Skowl

For me, one of the best post-Beast Wars Transformers toylines was the Cybertron series, and one of the best figures of the line (or any line for that matter) was the deluxe-class Decepticon Dirt Boss, a futuristic monster-truck from the Planet Speedia (or was it Velocitron?).

Originally released under the ackward name "Inch Up" (stop giggling!) in the Japanese Galaxy Force series, Dirt Boss was released as part of the first wave of Cybertron figures to hit stores - but as the line gained in popularity, the mold fell behind. Dirt Boss was never re-released in any subsequent wave of figures and as of today has never been repainted or remolded, though anyone who owns this toy will surely agree that the mold has great potential.

As I mentioned in the inaugural review of Cybertron Cannonball, one of the greatest things about the Cybertron line was its brilliant package design. As you can see, the card backing takes the shape of the Decepticon insignia and Dirt Boss's mainly purple colour scheme meshes very well with the packaging, creating a great look overall. The boxart features an angry-looking Dirt Boss, and it's a great interpretation of the character - better than in the cartoon anyway.

The back of the card gives us a glimpse at Dirt Boss's gimmicks (I'll get to those in a minute), as well as his bio and tech specs. Everything is very crisp, clear & uncluttered. A very nice piece for MOC collectors.

But leaving Dirt Boss in his plastic prison isn't doing this great figure justice, let's take him out and see what he can do!

Dirt Boss's vehicle mode is a wicked-looking futuristic monster truck. As far as TF vehicles go, this one is really unique and is unlike any monster truck you'll see on this planet (and I'm assuming your reading this from planet Earth). His colours here are mainly purple with green as a strong secondary colour and nice silver detailing on the hood, on the roof (with molded spotlights) and on the side of the truck. There are also some green exhaust pipes in the back and some green tubes on the hood, next to the truck's exposed engine-thing, while four green headlights decorate the grey bumper in the front. The colours are very reminiscent of classic G1 Decepticons, making this cool TF even better for having a sense of history.

The wheels and suspension take up about half of the entire truck mode. Everything here is mostly green and while the wheels may look black, they are actually a slightly transluscent dark red. What is most bizarre is how the wheels are attached to the truck - instead of having each wheel attached to the vehicle's main body, the wheels are attached to each other on each side with a connection to the truck's main body in the middle of the wheel segment. Those big wheels of his roll very nicely on carpeted surfaces, giving him great play value for the kiddies. It really looks like he's driving on two giant lollipops, but I think it looks hardcore awesome.

Just sayin'.

So there, soak it in - this really is an awesome looking truck. It looks aggressive, dangerous and it just screams "King of the Road" - oh, and while you're at it, pop in that Cyber Key, and see how Dirt Boss is "King of the Offroad" as well...

One great thing about Dirt Boss is how his Cyber Key gimmick works in vehicle mode. The line was full of hit-or-miss key gimmicks, but Dirt Boss's really shines and is possibly the most unique (and the most fun) of the entire series! Pop in the key and the suspension of the truck buckles and lowers, giving Dirt Boss a sleeker "race car" look. The play value in the vehicle mode is amazing, all it takes is a Cyber Key up the rear-end and you've got a whole different vehicle!

Transforming Dirt Boss to robot mode is easy, and great fun as well. The truck's hood unfolds into two halves, revealing both his legs. Fold out the headlights and bumper to make the feet and pull down the sides for his arms. The back end of the truck folds down and a compartment opens to reveal his head - but this can't be done if the wheels are up in "monster truck" mode as there isn't enough room to fold the piece down. Not to worry, as the designers found an ingenious way to solve this problem - simply rotate the hips around (which needs to be done anyway) and the wheels will automatically spread out as if the Cyber Key was inserted! No key needed! An Automorph gimmick years ahead of the '07 Movie line! Very clever engineering - another thing to love about this toy!

There's too much to say about how great a toy Dirt Boss is in robot mode. His truck mode is brilliant, but his bot mode is one of the coolest-looking Decepticons I've ever seen. The green and purple colour scheme continues in bot mode, with some added purple on the legs and black on the arms. My only complaint is that there is no paint detailing on the inside of his legs, and the purple panel for his head rests on green plastic, not purple, which looks rather strange. It is worth noting that this is not the case with his Galaxy Force counterpart Inch-Up (I said stop giggling!), who has solid purple throughout the robot's body and detaling on both sides of his legs, making for a much more unified look in bot mode. Dirt Boss is also very tall for a Deluxe-class figure, so that's great as well.

In this mode, the truck's giant wheels stick out on both sides - not only do they look cool, but they also have a practical use as they help balance out the toy, allowing for many great poses. And as far as poseability goes, Dirt Boss has it made. His head can swivel almost 360 degrees and his arms can move up or down, swivel at the elbows and even rotate complete around where the arms meets the shoulders.

His lower body is even more flexible (stop giggling! I didn't even say "Inch-Up" that time!) as his waist can rotate 360 degrees, his legs can rotate completely at the hip-joint and his knees can bend up or down and rotate 360 degrees as well. His long feet and "bell-bottom" legs give him just the support he needs. Getting this guy in awesome action-poses is a breeze, and there is no struggling and random toppling-over like with many other modern TF figures.

One of my favourite things about Dirt Boss is his head sculpt. The designers created a head as unique as the rest of the toy, abandoning the old symmetrical faces and giving Dirt Boss a targeting rectacle eye-patch (with three different lenses! Check out the attention to detail!) as well as an asymmetrical head crest. The silver on his face really brings out the "don't mess with me" expression, and I love the little green goatee thing.

Something else that sets Dirt Boss apart from the rest is how his Cyber Key gimmick works in robot mode. Instead of unlocking the same mechanism in both modes, Dirt Boss's gimmick is entirely different in his robot form. Instead of lowering the truck's wheels, the Cyber Key flips out two shoulder-mounted cannons - which is great since Dirt Boss, sadly, does not come packaged with any weapons.

All in all, Dirt Boss is one hell of a great toy - and one of my all time personal favourites. He is a one-of-a-kind figure with great play value all around, great looking vehicle mode with a unique gimmick, an awesome robot with amazing poseability and great engineering. All that at the Deluxe-class price-point - you really get your money's worth, and then some! I would personally recommend Galaxy Force "Inch-Up" (ha! I get it now!) if only for the better paint application, but if you can get your hands on any version of Dirt Boss, do it! This is one amazing figure that every fan should own, and love as much as I do! Thanks for reading!

Links:

Visit the Cybertron Dirt Boss gallery by clicking here
...Or find your own buried treasures by visiting all the toy galleries here!

* If you would like to write a review for our "Buried Treasures" feature, please send a private message to Skowl on the Seibertron.com forums!

Previous Buried Treasure Reviews:

Cannonball by Skowl

Snapdragon by Jeep

Cybertron Downshift by Chuckdawg1999

Frostbite by Duke of Luns

Octopunch by Jeep

Emergency Mini-Con Team by Nekoman
Last edited by Skowl on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Re: Buried Treasure Review - Cybertron Dirt Boss

Postby Mkall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Nice review Skowl. It's about time I look into getting this guy...

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby cheeser82 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Great review Skowl! I agree completely, this figure was great in almost every aspect, and I'm completely glad I bought him first, if I remember right. The only problem I've had is I can't get the head to say straight with the Cyber Key part. It's stuck at an angle for some reason.
cheeser82
Micromaster

Postby Skowl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm

cheeser82 wrote:Great review Skowl! I agree completely, this figure was great in almost every aspect, and I'm completely glad I bought him first, if I remember right. The only problem I've had is I can't get the head to say straight with the Cyber Key part. It's stuck at an angle for some reason.

Another reason to pick up the GF Inch-Up version instead, as he doesn't seem to have that problem that plague so many of the Cybertron versions...
Skowl
City Commander

Postby Omega Charge » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Motto: "Nothing. What's the motto with you?"
Weapon: Metal-slashing Claw
Wow, looks like a good toy. Great review.

You can get Inch-Up for a good price right now, so it's a good chance for anyone who doesn't have him.
Omega Charge
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 7
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 6

Postby dasbear » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 pm

This was always a great mold. He looks like a BAD ASS Texan. I just wish it was differently colored. i was SURE they would ReRElease a different color. ALso, why were there SO many Speed and EARTH planets, i think the shear numbers hurt the line.
dasbear
Mini-Con

Postby Emperor Galvatron » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
I still think this would make a great Universe Trailbreaker (with obligatory head remold of course).
Emperor Galvatron
Fuzor
News Credits: 3
Buy from Emperor Galvatron on eBay
Strength: 8
Speed: 2
Courage: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Mkall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Emperor Galvatron wrote:I still think this would make a great Universe Trailbreaker (with obligatory head remold of course).

Personally I'm going with Shattered Glass kup until some better mold comes along.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7

Postby TFBuyer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 am

Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Nice review--I have him and honestly didn't think much of him until reading your take on the figure. I may have to get him out and mess around with his gimmicks a bit!

Thanks!

Recent TF Purchases--Transformers Power of the Primes!
TFBuyer
Headmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 5
Speed: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby Flashback77 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 am

Great review. I didn't like Dirt Boss at all from early pics when Galaxy Force surfaced, but then I got him for free in a two-pack at TRU. Turns out I liked him a lot more than expected. The colors are horrifying, and his head won't sit level, but he's very articulate and playable. My biggest problem with him (aside from the colors) is that his truck tires look like yo-yo's. Aside from that he's a good figure, who Im very surprised hasn't been repainted/retooled as Classics Gears.

I'd like to write a Buried Treasure review, is there someone I need to contact?
Flashback77
Minibot

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I've always thought this design had some significant flaws.

It never really worked for me outside of alt mode.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby GuyIncognito » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:45 am

I've come close to buying him on eBay several times, but the paint job always stops me. It may have a nice mold, but it's eyesore. Nice review, though; I enjoyed reading it.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
News Credits: 12
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Postby Skowl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:11 am

I never understood all this hate for Dirt Boss's colours - purple and green are classic Decepticon colours that have been used countless times before, it never seemed to bother people when they were used on the Consctructicons...
Skowl
City Commander

Postby UltraPrimal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 am

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
Can anyone submit a "Buried Treasure" review? 'Cause there are some figures I like that I think are overlooked.
UltraPrimal
Gestalt
News Credits: 32
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Skowl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 am

Flashback77 wrote:I'd like to write a Buried Treasure review, is there someone I need to contact?

UltraPrimal wrote:Can anyone submit a "Buried Treasure" review? 'Cause there are some figures I like that I think are overlooked.

Just PM me your choice and if it's approved by the rest of the staff, I'll fit you into the schedule and give you a deadline for the review.

We have two more reviews ready to go, so we'll need some new submissions soon!
Skowl
City Commander

Postby rpetras » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Emperor Galvatron wrote:I still think this would make a great Universe Trailbreaker (with obligatory head remold of course).

I was thinking Gears, but I'm not sure you can get the colors to work.

Gears has a lot of red in bot mode. :-?
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
News Credits: 1
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Flashback77 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:17 am

Skowl wrote:
Flashback77 wrote:I'd like to write a Buried Treasure review, is there someone I need to contact?

Just PM me your choice and if it's approved by the rest of the staff, I'll fit you into the schedule and give you a deadline for the review.

We have two more reviews ready to go, so we'll need some new submissions soon!

Thanks, I'll think about it and PM you later this week.

I saw a great digibash of this mold as Gears. He'd need a new head obviously, which probably wouldn't happen.

The colors themselves aren't bad, just applied poorly. Overall they make the figure very loud and G2-like. This is part of his charm, but Id like to see the mold get at least one pass in more subdued colors. Even a few apps of black or metallized silver to this figure would help bring the brightness down a shade.
Flashback77
Minibot

Postby GuyIncognito » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Skowl wrote:I never understood all this hate for Dirt Boss's colours - purple and green are classic Decepticon colours that have been used countless times before, it never seemed to bother people when they were used on the Consctructicons...

I have no problem with purple and green. But Dirt Boss isn't purple; he's fuchsia, which is really closer to pink. It looks like something Barbie should be driving. (For comparison, look at the upper legs of the bot mode - THAT'S purple. Or look at Universe Cyclonus - THAT's purple.) And that bright green is awful.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander

Postby Doubledealer93 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Motto: "A logical mind is a healthy mind."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
i never got him cus i thought his articulation was bad! :-x damn it! now i need to find one :-(

check out my collection thread, updated 2/25/13, and i kinda lost count, i have to count them again....
doubledealer93-s-collection-as-of-2-25-13-t84309.php
my tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/doubledealer93
My deviant art, loads more pics there--> http://doubledealer93.deviantart.com/
Doubledealer93
City Commander
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby GuyIncognito » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Decepticon_25 wrote:i never got him cus i thought his articulation was bad! :-x damn it! now i need to find one :-(

I see Dirt Boss for sale on eBay fairly frequently. You can probably get one for about $20 shipped.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander

Postby zimmus prime » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 pm

I remember this guy.....This should have been ROTF Wheelie, not that scrambled mess they have shown us. This would translate perfectly to an R/C truck as Wheeliefor the new movie evn after the "Bay" treatment, it would probably look better than what we've seen.
zimmus prime
Mini-Con

Postby Windsweeper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I have this toy and was not impressed. But having read this review, I want to take him out of storage and give him another chance.

I think it's the colour scheme that put me off, strange because I'm a huge fan of G2. I've got the 4 European Stormtroopers beside me as I type.

Would love to see this mold or Cybertron Defence Hot Shot repainted as G1 Ruckus. Loved Ruckus in the Marvel comics and his MTMTE profile.

Have to say I really enjoy these Buried Treasure Reviews. Especially since I have Dirt Boss, Snapdragon, Octopunch and Frostbite.

Strangely, I would suddenly like to see this mold repainted as inner robot Stranglehold.

Anyway great review. Look forward to the next.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby i_amtrunks » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:51 pm

I'd love to see him with a new head and painted in red and black... the real Shattered Glass Cliffjumper (and finally a non-repaint of Bumblebee!)
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Swiftpaw » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I had always wanted a 'monster truck' Decepticon so Dirt Boss was one of my fan dreams come true. That he proved to be a not-sucky figure was even better. 8)

I've heard people complain about his lack of fancy weapons compared to the rest of the line, but personally I found that to be one of his charms. As I imagine him to be a big burly brute in a fight, the shoulder cannons allow him to remain very 'hands on' in bending Autobot fenders. :twisted:
Recent Aquisitions:
RTS Special Ops Jazz
RTS Wreck-Gar
FP Warbot Defender
Generations Blurr
Swiftpaw
Vehicon

Postby Darth Trader » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
Talk about a timely review! I just randomly ran across and picked this guy as a loose figure on Wednesday. :grin:

He is actually pretty cool. I kind of agree with people on the color issues. Yes, purple and green ARE 'con colors, but, did they need to go NEON? LOL His articulation really is his saving grace though.

If anybody is interested in picking him up as a loose figure PM me cuz I will most likely be getting rid of him.
Darth Trader
Targetmaster
News Credits: 3
Buy from Darth Trader on eBay
Alt Mode: The Death Star
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESERT TRACKER RATCHET Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete 2009"
NEW!
DESERT TRACKER RAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Age Extinction Voyager complete AOE Hasbro 2014 221114AB"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GALVATRON Transformers Studio Series 90 Age of Extinction AOE Movie Voyager 2022"
GALVATRON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SQWEEKS Transformers Last Knight Deluxe 100% complete TLK Movie Hasbro 221107A"
SQWEEKS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEMOLISHOR Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109T"
NEW!
DEMOLISHOR Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Leader complete + more 2009 240109Q"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ULTIMATE OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Dark Moon complete + more DOTM 2011 230427A"
ULTIMATE OPTIMUS P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers The Last Knight Legion Class Movie TLK Hasbro New 2017"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LA15 GRIMLOCK Transformers Lost Age Extinction AOE Takara Power Battlers New"
LA15 GRIMLOCK Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS (variant) Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Deluxe complete + more 221013A"
SKIDS (variant) Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109R"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Sword Slash DRIFT Transformers Age Extinction Power Attackers AOE 2014 210930A"
Sword Slash DRIFT ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON