This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

GM Puts Ironhide Out To Pasture

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

GM Puts Ironhide Out To Pasture

Postby Darth Bombshell » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
The Wall Street Journal has reported that GM is set to discontinue production of the GMC Topkick and Chevrolet Kodiak medium-duty trucks at the end of July. This would seem to be the first indication of how GM's recent bankruptcy announcement will affect future live action Transformers films, as the GMC Topkick is the vehicle mode for the Autobot Ironhide

To read the full article, click here. (Subscription required.)
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Re: GM Puts Ironhide Out To Pasture

Postby Megatron Wolf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
This both sucks and rocks. It sucks because this version of Ironhide wasnt that bad(even though he should be red) but now that hes going to be getting a new form, maybe this time he'll actually be red like hes suppose to be. Theres no excuse now.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Bumblebeast » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Paraphrasing Skids, "It's upgrade time!".
Bad-ass Prime wants YOUR face !!!
Bumblebeast
Vehicon
News Credits: 1

Postby Kuribohfett » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:46 pm

This doesn't mean that Ironhide has to change at all. These still have the collection of Topkicks used for filming the first two movies, so they can just use those. It's not like they need any more. And as for people that are going to claim GM's going to want to advertise something new, I doubt it. With all the trouble they're going through now I don't think they'll care about altering ONE character out of the whole franchise this late in the game, after the ILM people, the Hasbro people, and the other movie people have settled on something that works and looks awesome.
Image>
Kuribohfett
Mini-Con

Postby dumbprime » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Motto: "freedom is the right of............Huh! what was i saying?"
don't think we will see a red Ironhide. Didn't Bay state that he does like the way red films. And that was one of the reasons for the flame job on prime.
dumbprime
Minibot
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Shockerwave333 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 pm

dumbprime wrote:Didn't Bay state that he does like the way red films

That must be why he made Sideswipe silver!!!! GRRRRRR
Shockerwave333
Mini-Con

Postby muswp1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled Assault Missile Launcher
Considering I have yet to see a Topkick or Kodiak on the street or at a dealership anywhere, I thought they weren't in production yet.
"Why do so many people need help? Life's not that complicated. You get up, go to work, eat three meals, take one good s***, and go back to bed. What's the f***ing mystery?" - George Carlin - Complaints & Grievances
muswp1
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 3
Buy from muswp1 on eBay
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby Swiftknife24 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Motto: "With a blade, one gets close, personal and feels the kill."
Weapon: Diffraction Sword
RE: Previous comment

I think it's because Topkicks are mainly used for construction sites. If you look at roadworks and then the flat-beds carrying the metal and things, they're usually GM trucks. I only found out when I went to America in September and tried 'Ironhide Spotting'. I saw the vehicle modes of Barricade, Optimus Prime, Ratchet, Jazz and even Starscream! But it took me ages to realise that the Topkick was kriffing HUGE and that they (well, modified versions, anyway) were on road-work sites!

Any Americans correct me now, because if you know what I mean and they weren't Topkicks, then they were pretty damn close! lol

Still; RIP Topkick! :sad:

I've been compiling a scale list (largest to smallest) of the Film Transformers based on; vehicle/alternate modes (with the best dimension data possible), as many official charts I could find & most crucially, the figures I actually own & desire! If anyone would like a bit of assistance in scale or would simply like a peek at the list, do say so! ^^

(Also been working on something big; I'm a writer, so that's a clue... ;))
Swiftknife24
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Watch Swiftknife24 on YouTube
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Skill: 10

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm

Ironhide is probably going to still be a Topkick. I bet they have plenty of those set vehicles for that.

I wonder if they're also discontinuing the commercial version of the Topkick (the chassis they use for cargo vans and dump trucks)...
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Zeds » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
RIP Ironhide. Killed by company mismanagement. Not Megatron.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8

Postby Agent 007 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:11 pm

meh not really a prob Bay can always buy some now as props
“Ching-a-ling. Come out and get your ice cream. Any bad robot out there better get ready for an ass whoopin’.”
-Skids
remember when all else fails:
ZOMBIE DANCE!!
Agent 007
Gestalt

Postby St. Even » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Swiftknife24 wrote:RE: Previous comment

I think it's because Topkicks are mainly used for construction sites. If you look at roadworks and then the flat-beds carrying the metal and things, they're usually GM trucks. I only found out when I went to America in September and tried 'Ironhide Spotting'. I saw the vehicle modes of Barricade, Optimus Prime, Ratchet, Jazz and even Starscream! But it took me ages to realise that the Topkick was kriffing HUGE and that they (well, modified versions, anyway) were on road-work sites!

Any Americans correct me now, because if you know what I mean and they weren't Topkicks, then they were pretty damn close! lol

I think it all depends on what state you are in. The Topkick, as you noted, is usually used in commercial appliactions. Some people do buy they for personal use, and I have seen them on dealer lots here in Idaho.
St. Even
Minibot

Postby St. Even » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:27 pm

FYI--the entire medium duty truck line is being scuttled.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31170969/
St. Even
Minibot

Postby pr0wl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Motto: "I'll take you ALL on"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Shockerwave333 wrote:
dumbprime wrote:Didn't Bay state that he does like the way red films

That must be why he made Sideswipe silver!!!! GRRRRRR

i dont mean to sound like a know it all but
red is a filming nightmare (thats why prime's primary colors were blue) so they had to use as little red as possible (ie red flames) i think its a nice improvision as opposed to a pink prime or a pink ironhide
Image A look can be deceiving,a touch can be lethal.
Also,check out my stop motion cartoons on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pr0w1:
pr0wl
Micromaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Postby Rodimus2006 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Motto: "We Live for the One, We Die for the One, But we dont Die Stupidly."
Weapon: Twin Swords
Why are you people getting so bitchy about it dosent mean anything about Iron Hide he will still be in Transformers 3 depending rather or not he survives this movie or not.

All this means he will no longer be a GMC Model he will get upgraded like how BB got upgraded from the Old Camero to the 2007 model.

Unkown rather or not what the new mode for Iron Hide is going to be but it will be a truck like deal but unknown which brand he will be.

Look we still other car brands out there it dosent mean anything about the ending of transformers it just means they wont be anymore GMC Models in transformers anymore.

I think this is a plus it can bring around more diversity and maybe have some cooler car concepts for the next transformers movie.
Rodimus2006
Headmaster
News Credits: 5
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Autobot Firestorm » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Weapon: High-Powered, Laser-Sighted, Photon Rifle
St. Even wrote:

I think it all depends on what state you are in. The Topkick, as you noted, is usually used in commercial appliactions. Some people do buy they for personal use, and I have seen them on dealer lots here in Idaho.

Actually, Ironhide isn't 'technically' made by GMC. If you order a Topkick from GMC, you get a chassis bed truck - then you pay for the toolbox, flatbed, etc. Or you can have it sent to Monroe Truck Equipment - the company that builds Ironhide's alt mode and many other specialty type trucks. You can go order your own if you want (although I seem to remember the "Ironhide upgrades" being somewhere north of $85,000.....plus you have to supply the Topkick). Monroe's website isn't geared toward Ironhide as it was when TF1 came out, but you still see some photos of the truck on the site here and there. Here's the link to the site http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/index.html
War For Cybertron ID: Firestorm_Prime
Autobot Firestorm
Minibot
Strength: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Rodimus Prime » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
I always thought he should have been a Hummer to begin with, as he and Ratchet are the same body wise. And Ratchet is a Hummer emergency vehicle, right? he should have been an old school Hummer H1, just simple and tough, like Ironhide.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby DevastaTTor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 am

St. Even wrote:

You guys are right on: since no Topkicks really look like Ironhide, no one probably recogizes them anyway-on the road or in a dealer lot. They're usually white and pretty non-descript. A person can pass a half dozen of them on a highway and never notice them.

As for my opinion on the movie character, GMs problems will probably have no affect on the film. If they want to keep him the truck, I'm sure they will. From Hasbro's persepctive, they'd probably want to change him to sell more product.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Postby syphonn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 am

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Rodimus Prime wrote:I always thought he should have been a Hummer to begin with, as he and Ratchet are the same body wise. And Ratchet is a Hummer emergency vehicle, right? he should have been an old school Hummer H1, just simple and tough, like Ironhide.

I agree with you there
District 9, what Transformers could have been ...
syphonn
Vehicon
Strength: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Highbeam » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Motto: "Do what you love and do it well."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
DevastaTTor wrote:
St. Even wrote:

You guys are right on: since no Topkicks really look like Ironhide, no one probably recogizes them anyway-on the road or in a dealer lot. They're usually white and pretty non-descript. A person can pass a half dozen of them on a highway and never notice them.

As for my opinion on the movie character, GMs problems will probably have no affect on the film. If they want to keep him the truck, I'm sure they will. From Hasbro's persepctive, they'd probably want to change him to sell more product.

This is sad to hear :( Having seen a number of those bad-boys up close, I gotta say they're awesome trucks. Not remotely practical unless you've got a lot of stuff to haul and you don't mind the 7 mpg, but still. I think I've seen 3 now, one of them being the real deal when he was chilling at the GM Tech Center here in Michigan.

I love this one the most though...because of his name XD

*edit* I nearly forgot about this guy at the Dream Cruise last year...

Saber Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
  • 24. ~S.U.V. - Society of Ultimate Villainy*

~ And all this time I thought S.U.V. stood for Sports Utillity Vehicle.
Highbeam
Gestalt Team Leader
Alt Mode: Jeep Cherokee

Postby Prime Riblet » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Motto: "Mottos! We need no stinking mottos!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
St. Even wrote:

I have not seen any on lots, but I saw one on the highway in Iowa heading up to Minnesota. I did a double take. I wish it were black instead of the dark green it was painted. I would have taken a picture of it.
Prime Riblet
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Speed: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9

Postby Pontimax 01 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 am

Autobot Firestorm wrote:
St. Even wrote:

Actually, Ironhide isn't 'technically' made by GMC. If you order a Topkick from GMC, you get a chassis bed truck - then you pay for the toolbox, flatbed, etc. Or you can have it sent to Monroe Truck Equipment - the company that builds Ironhide's alt mode and many other specialty type trucks. You can go order your own if you want (although I seem to remember the "Ironhide upgrades" being somewhere north of $85,000.....plus you have to supply the Topkick). Monroe's website isn't geared toward Ironhide as it was when TF1 came out, but you still see some photos of the truck on the site here and there. Here's the link to the site http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/index.html

This is exactly right. GM does not outfit the Topkicks in the configuration we see him in the movie for the public. Monroe does that. Topkicks (and Kodiacs) are the 4500,5500,6500, and even 7500 work truck chassis' that underpin many wreckers, short buses, small dump trucks, and box trucks.

And their friggin huge when you see them in pickup truck applications such as Monroe's conversion...

I've seen them on the road before, as well as an International RXT, and both are MASSIVE. But GM has been trying to offload the medium truck platform for roughly 4 years now.
Pontimax 01
Headmaster

Postby Highbeam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Motto: "Do what you love and do it well."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Pontimax 01 wrote:And their friggin huge when you see them in pickup truck applications such as Monroe's conversion...

I've seen them on the road before, as well as an International RXT, and both are MASSIVE. But GM has been trying to offload the medium truck platform for roughly 4 years now.

That photo is adorable... ^^;
Saber Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
  • 24. ~S.U.V. - Society of Ultimate Villainy*

~ And all this time I thought S.U.V. stood for Sports Utillity Vehicle.
Highbeam
Gestalt Team Leader
Alt Mode: Jeep Cherokee

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #15 Marvel Comics 1989 (A/CA) Vosburg (W) Hama 220721A"
TALES OF GI JOE #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM327 7B (CA) Bellegarde (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 2A 1223IM259 (CA) Milana + Leoni"
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0723IM408 4C (CA) Park (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Zeck (W) Hama 220721A"
GI JOE YEARBOOK #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 4D GI JOE 0124IM250 (CA) Clarke (W) Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #299 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 299RI (CA) Royle 231010M"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr F Walking Dead 20th Image Comics 0823IM481 5F Hughes 240330"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #301 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 301A 0923IM335 (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 2nd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM895 (CA) Earls"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 2nd ptg Image Comics 2024 1023IM976 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr F RI 1:25 IDW Comics 2022 300F (CA) Joseph"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #5 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP200474 5A (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 APR230038 1A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition "Year of the Goat" Exclusive Masterpiece Soundwave by Hasbro" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON