This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3

Postby First Gen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
In an exclusive interview at Rotten Tomatoes, Transformers movie producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura sat down and talked about some issues that were raised with Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and the possibility of certain characters making an appearance in Transformers 3.

Di Bonaventura was very open about certain questions regarding ROTF, such as movie critic reviews and how the twins characters ,Skids and Mudflap, have been met with certain distaste.

Di Bonavetura said,"Everybody has to put their own lens on these things. The intention was certainly not how some people perceived it... I'll put it that way."

He also said some things about the planetformer Unicron being in the third installment of the franchise and the introduction of minicons. You'll have to read the interview to see what he said though. You can see it by clicking here.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
I really wanted ROTF to end with a battered Megatron and Starscream floating through space. Then a bright light and big, booming voice... "Welcome, Megatron...."

That would have made the move sooooo much better/. :grin:
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 6
Skill: 8

Postby omegaprowl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:33 pm

With devastator now probably being hte biggest CGI object in any movie, if they put Unicron in the third movie at his actual size, thats def gonna be one huge piece of CGI!!!!!

Personally i dont see any use for the minicons in this franchise, in the toons they were there mainly because they were small enough for the kids to ride in, since the autobots are actual car size when they are in vehicle mode, what the heck are the minicons gonna turn into?? RC cars like wheelie?? and what would they turn into, i mean other then robots obviously; guns, swords or sheilds?

i say, toy with using unicron, screw the minicons.

Hell i wanna see prowl, ultra magnus, hot rod, cyclonus, more of soundwave, springer, even another combiner, heck two if they can afford it (autobots: Defensor or Superion Vs decepticon: Bruticus or Menasor)
omegaprowl
Mini-Con

Postby Ronynus Prime » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Motto: ""Immortality shall come to such as are fit for it.""
Weapon: Ion Pulse Guns
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I really wanted ROTF to end with a battered Megatron and Starscream floating through space. Then a bright light and big, booming voice... "Welcome, Megatron...."

Man, I fully agree... I loved RotF, but that sort of ending would have sent everyone through the roof with excitement. Wow. RodimusConvoy should direct the sequel. lol. Or at least let's get an animated epilogue like that on the Blu Ray release a la Hellboy 2.

=P~
"Immortality shall come to such as are fit for it."
Ronynus Prime
Minibot
Watch Ronynus Prime on YouTube
Buy from Ronynus Prime on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby skywarp-2 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Unicron would be kinda cool, but he makes good points about it appealing to the masses.. ROTF was touted by many as a fan boy love fest, so I can see where he and the studio is coming from..

on the whole, I don't see anything to make a big fuss about.. he said that eh likes minicons, but never that they would be in transformers 3, and that he thinks Unicron is quite large and imposing..he never said Bay wasn't going to not direct the 3rd movie.. so nothing really truly earth shattering in this interview..IMHO
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
http://capitalcomicsstudios.deviantart.com/
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... 27&t=56030
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
News Credits: 5

Postby Dclone Soundwave » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Unicron? YES. Minicons? Absolutely not. Bring on the Planet Eater.
Latest Acquisition(s):
BW Tigatron
BW II Flash Lio Convoy
BW Metals Rampage
BW Neo Big Convoy
BW Neo Magmatron
Dclone Soundwave
Godmaster

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
PlasmaPrime wrote:
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I really wanted ROTF to end with a battered Megatron and Starscream floating through space. Then a bright light and big, booming voice... "Welcome, Megatron...."

Man, I fully agree... I loved RotF, but that sort of ending would have sent everyone through the roof with excitement. Wow. RodimusConvoy should direct the sequel. lol. Or at least let's get an animated epilogue like that on the Blu Ray release a la Hellboy 2.

=P~

I also have the perfect ending for Smallville plotted out in my head... Guess I need to move to Hollywood. :grin: :grin:
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt

Postby Mkall » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:51 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
No Unicron, no Minicons please

kthxbye

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Mkall wrote:No Unicron, no Minicons please

kthxbye

no Unicron??? are you sure you're a Transformers fan? :grin: :grin:

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt

Postby Primus1101 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Motto: "Remember when that little girl mistook Ironhide for the tooth fairy? I make that look like fact!"
"I think if you go to Unicron, you're going to end up sacrificing your human characters. And for me that worries me because I like the human characters."

Is Lorenzo his first name? I'll call him Lorenzo for now. He may like the human characters but WE DON'T! I'm serious! Sam and Mikaela, their parents, Leo, Simmons, all the humans in ROTF were worthless. We need more of the soldiers. Sam and Mikaela created a pointless sub-plot: the whole "I love you" thing. I didn't care for it. If anyone agrees with me, cool. But seriously, we need WAY less of the humans. He may like the humans, but I would have rather saw more between the robots. Like the scene with Ratchet and Ironhide in the first movie where Ratchet walks into the phone cables. We need more of those moments! The Twins, some more of them in the next movie! Not as much as this one, just a little more! And I won't even bother talking about Sideswipe, Jolt and the Arcee bikes! And as for the Decepticons, I ain't even gonna say anything on them cus in the movie, they were a joke apart from the Megatron-Starscream scenes and the fight scenes.

So, all-in-all, keep the humans: But make them vital to the plot. Hows about for TF3 they are all soldiers now and they are part of a war between Earth and the Decepticons. And it's set 10-20 years after the first two movies. Anyone agree? And if your reading this, Mr. Producer, I have one thing to say: MAKE SURE WE GET ACTUAL CHARACTERS NEXT TIME!!! NOT CANNON FODDER!!! :MAD: :MAD: :MAD: And whoever said that thing about them in space and Unicron, I agree! You sir have my respect. Next time I need help writing a TF Script, I'll come to you for help! :P

And there's my two cents, so how is everyone? :)
Primus1101
Minibot
Watch Primus1101 on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Courage: 5
Firepower: 10+

Postby Jacob P. Galvatron » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Motto: "Decepticons, till the day I die! West side!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Coming Summer 20XX: Transformers Armada: The Movie.
Collect the toys!
Same molds from last time, but with Minicon pegs now!
YAY!

Oh God, no Minicons please. :(
Jacob P. Galvatron: Because You're Worth It!!

Custom Things:
Atmospheric Re-entry Bumblebee

Jacob P. Galvatron
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 6

Postby YRQRM0 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:21 pm

I agree about taking away from the human characters. Obviously, we HERE hate them, but when you're talking about a worldwide movie, you have to consider what appeals to the general audience (aka, what makes more money). Without all the lame hideous human jokes and stuff, the movie probably would have lost a huge chunk of it's non-transformer fan viewers, so I see what he's saying. And I just can't see how they would pull off any meaningful story/scenes/cgi with a planet-sized bot.
Mini-cons would rock. I love Armada. Although I can't see mini-cons without some kind of existence of Unicron.
Also, The Mini-cons would have to talk, beeping with subtitles would be kinda boring.
YRQRM0
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Endurance: 10

Postby chevymantf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:32 pm

:-x :-x NO NO NO I will not accept another transformers movie if it is directed by michael bay. I **** hated rotf he is the worst director for transformers and i will not support or anybody else should support michael bay's transformers! :evil: :evil:
chevymantf
Mini-Con

Postby Alex Jones » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm

YRQRM0 wrote:I agree about taking away from the human characters. Obviously, we HERE hate them, but when you're talking about a worldwide movie, you have to consider what appeals to the general audience (aka, what makes more money). Without all the lame hideous human jokes and stuff, the movie probably would have lost a huge chunk of it's non-transformer fan viewers, so I see what he's saying. And I just can't see how they would pull off any meaningful story/scenes/cgi with a planet-sized bot.....

TRUTH!

I also feel that if they did bring out Unicron that would pretty much be the end the series because you can't really top Unicron afterwards. I for one would like to see this movie franchise to go on. But I all for bringing out Omega Supreme.
Alex Jones
Vehicon

Postby Alex Jones » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:43 pm

chevymantf wrote::-x :-x NO NO NO I will not accept another transformers movie if it is directed by michael bay. I **** hated rotf he is the worst director for transformers and i will not support or anybody else should support michael bay's transformers! :evil: :evil:

In all honesty, Bay was born to direct Transformers. You watch his previous movies and the G1 cartoon and you will see common styles in both of them.

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.
Alex Jones
Vehicon

Postby chevymantf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:
chevymantf wrote::-x :-x NO NO NO I will not accept another transformers movie if it is directed by michael bay. I **** hated rotf he is the worst director for transformers and i will not support or anybody else should support michael bay's transformers! :evil: :evil:

In all honesty, Bay was born to direct Transformers. You watch his previous movies and the G1 cartoon and you will see common styles in both of them.

michael bay and the writers need to be replaced i have season 1 on dvd and i saw the similarities that were in the movies but transformers still arent getting thier justice when comes to the live action films. Why are the transformers still second to the humans?? I understand that the autobots have human friends like sam and mikaela but the roomate, simmons, the parents, and the military??
The military took most of the screen time in the ending battle and making the autobots completely useless. Devastator didn't **** either i was expecting a big face off between all the autobots vs devastator but instead we get skids and mudflap, michael bay WTF??? We need a real transformers fan to direct and rewrite both movies beacuase the first one was not that great either :twisted: :twisted:
chevymantf
Mini-Con

Postby Primus1101 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Motto: "Remember when that little girl mistook Ironhide for the tooth fairy? I make that look like fact!"
chevymantf wrote:

michael bay and the writers need to be replaced i have season 1 on dvd and i saw the similarities that were in the movies but transformers still arent getting thier justice when comes to the live action films. Why are the transformers still second to the humans?? I understand that the autobots have human friends like sam and mikaela but the roomate, simmons, the parents, and the military??
The military took most of the screen time in the ending battle and making the autobots completely useless. Devastator didn't **** either i was expecting a big face off between all the autobots vs devastator but instead we get skids and mudflap, michael bay WTF??? We need a real transformers fan to direct and rewrite both movies beacuase the first one was not that great either :twisted: :twisted:

You sir, should read some scripts I'm working on. The Transformers ain't second to no-one here! Hell, I find difficulty in writing human scenes apart from military scenes.
Primus1101
Minibot
Watch Primus1101 on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Alex Jones » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:16 pm

chevymantf wrote:

if anyone wants the Transformers to be first in front of the humans, then be open to having A list stars to lend the voices to the Transformers, which means no Peter Cullen and yes to say someone like Denzel Washington.
Alex Jones
Vehicon

Postby DCybertron » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Motto: "Insert your ad here"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
chevymantf wrote:

It's not Bay's fault, It's the writers. Bay only directs.
I'm back. With a Team fortress 2 addiction.
DCybertron
Vehicon
Speed: 1
Firepower: N/A

Postby oldskooltf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Weapon: Missile Launcher
There will be humans in every transformer live action movie... Budget calls for it and also because if a movie only had robots, then only the fanboys would come and it wouldn't make enough money, etc...

I'm a little torn on who is more at fault for the parts of RotF that many of us did not like. For the humor, I initially want to blame Bay -- but having said that, I actually did like SOME of the humor, but certainly not all of it. As for the plot... I didn't have major problems with it other than maybe give more time to developing / explaining it and compensate for this by dialing down the sexual humor. Just a thought.

The CGI was awesome, but to do Unicron RIGHT, it's going to take a huge budget, I would guess.

I'd rather see Dinobots (at least Grimlock) and maybe even insecticons (but I guess it could be argued that we got a little of them in RotF). Bring Soundwave to earth, give us Shockwave on Cybertron, and resurrect the constructicons to form Devastator to fight Omega Supreme. Of course I'll love any other combiner or Perceptor, Blaster, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, Cyclonus, etc... The inital issue is definitely going to be plot, and that will dictate a lot on what Robots show up and which get major roles.

I don't have any problem with cannon fodder deceps at the end of RotF. We had them in the original cartoon, they just happened to be clone jets instead of clone constructicons and protoform deceps.

I'm guessing they're going to have to go to the comics again to get GOOD plot elements for the 3rd movie.

As far as Unicron goes... bring him in when it's time for the LAST movie -- I'm hoping it won't be the 3rd.
oldskooltf
Minibot
Endurance: 5

Postby Jetstorm92210 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
Minicons? If they didn't work in Energon, Cybertron and Classics, why the hell do you want them in TF3.
Now, if we talk about Cyber planet keys and Prowl...
Jetstorm92210
Fuzor

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Primus1101 wrote: You sir, should read some scripts I'm working on. The Transformers ain't second to no-one here! Hell, I find difficulty in writing human scenes apart from military scenes.

I'm sure its very easy to write a script that involves primarly the Transformers. The problem is doing such a movie would probbly mean a $500+ million budget. Good CGI isn't cheap. Like it or not, humans will always be a strong part of the movieverse.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
News Credits: 5
Strength: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6

Postby Archanubis » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
There was some talk about bringing the Dinobots into RotF (before it was anything but TF2), but that didn't happen. Same could happen here - just a bunch of talk. Personally, I agree with some of the commenters here: save Unicron for when you know you're going to finish the series. If that's TF3, fine, if not, keep the Chaos God in your back pocket for awhile.

Minicons, hell no. Bring in some more significant characters: the Dinobots, original Predacons, Triple Changers, Sixshot, guys like that.
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby Megatron Wolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Minicons are you frakin serious? After hearing that i think the 3rd installment is going to suck worse then the 2nd. Didnt think that was possible but i guess it is. I was hoping minicons died with armada. SO whats next cyberkeys? Let the epic suckage continue. I really dont want Unicron in the 3rd movie. Not only are they going to screw up the character (like the fallen & Dev) but they're going to think of some stupid way to kill him off since the matrix is gone. Besides its to soon for him. Lets all hope the earth gets eaten and there are no more humans in the movies.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10

Postby joevill » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Motto: "For Seibertron!"
Weapon: Sword
I hope they do not include Minicons in the third movie. :cry:
joevill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 11
Watch joevill on YouTube
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 5
Skill: 5

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 5 Hasbro 2021 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALPHA STRIKE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 4 2020 Strika"
ALPHA STRIKE Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SLURP-A-DERP Transformers BotBots Series 5 Hibotchi Heats ramen noodles 2020"
SLURP-A-DERP Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "H2-EGO Transformers BotBots Series 5 Cardio Clique sports water bottle 2020"
H2-EGO Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CON-PACKTOR Transformers BotBots Con Crew Line League backpack 2019"
CON-PACKTOR Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FROSTFETTI FROSTYFACE Transformers BotBots Series 4 Sugar Shocks 2020 cake"
FROSTFETTI FROSTYF ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RADDHAXX Transformers BotBots Series 1 Techie Team laptop computer Raddhax"
RADDHAXX Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCOPE Transformers BotBots Series 4 Science Alliance Hasbro 2020 telescope"
STARSCOPE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLABBERBOOK Transformers BotBots Series 3 Swag Stylers diary book 2019 Hasbro"
BLABBERBOOK Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PIRANACON Transformers Kre-o Micro-Changers Combiner Hasbro 2013 New"
PIRANACON Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BURRITO FAVORITO Transformers BotBots Series 4 Los Deliciosos Hasbro 2020"
BURRITO FAVORITO T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAL CONTENT Transformers BotBots Series 3 jock squad 2019 Hasbro"
MAL CONTENT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PREDAKING Transformers Kre-o Micro-Changers Combiner Hasbro 2013 New"
PREDAKING Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HAWT DIGGITY Transformers BotBots Series 1 Greaser Gang 2018 Hasbro"
HAWT DIGGITY Trans ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Decepticon Viper Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Skrapnel and Reflector Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Dragstrip Figure" on AMAZON