This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Michael Bay on the Dinobots: "I hate them."

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Michael Bay on the Dinobots: "I hate them."

Postby First Gen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
According to a post by TFW2005.com member Alienbot, Empire Magazine will be featuring a piece on Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Director Michael Bay in its September 2009 issue.

Michael Bay was quoted in the post as saying this about the possible introduction of the Dinobots for Transformers 3:

"They've never been discussed [for inclusion]" stated Bay. "I don't like them. Actually, I hate them."

Could the director of the 10th most domestically grossing film in movie history be throwing us an early "misinformation" loop well before production of the third film begins? Let us know what you think by clicking Discuss this topic above.

Keep your optics locked, right here at Seibertron.com, your Ultimate Transformers Resource!
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Michael Bay on the Dinobots: "I hate them."

Postby Seibertron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I have to say that I kind of hope that the Dinobots don't make it to the movie-verse, but I dunno ... after Skids and Mudflap, anything would be better than them. I could buy the whole Dinobot story-line I guess if they stick to their Marvel comics origin of Shockwave coming to Earth in Prehistoric times, etc. Though I think they ruined that version's chance after doing a prehistoric bit with The Fallen. * sigh *

I'd like to see Soundwave get some robot screen time in the next film. And a return to Cybertron.

Unicron is another character that scares me for the 3rd film. I just don't see the point in the movie-verse.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Universe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:57 pm

i like the Dinobots however, it doesn't seem like they will fit in well with the movie universe. Having monsters (robots), robots, and dinosaurs is a bit much.
Universe
Micromaster
News Credits: 5

Postby RiddlerJ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:59 pm

I remember Bay complaining how he hated Arcee too. Is there any characters he does actually like? I mean, besides the jive talkin' ones he makes up?
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby Jacob P. Galvatron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Motto: "Decepticons, till the day I die! West side!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
RiddlerJ wrote:I remember Bay complaining how he hated Arcee too. Is there any characters he does actually like? I mean, besides the jive talkin' ones he makes up?

QFT
Jacob P. Galvatron: Because You're Worth It!!

Custom Things:
Atmospheric Re-entry Bumblebee

Jacob P. Galvatron
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 6

Postby Lockdown91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Weapon: Electromagnetic Photon Laser
There are ways in which they could write them into the film, something like, bring wheeljack into it first, and wheeljack being a mad scientest decides to build them out of fascination of prehistoric dinosaurs, then they come in and kick tailpipes at the end climatic battle which is bound to happen.

but if michael bay claims he hates them then there's probably not much of a chance of them being in the third film.

but then again, maybe it is another misinformation campaign which will fail just as much as ROTF's misinformation campaign failed hahaha :P

anyway it would be interesting to see how they'd work them into the film.
Lockdown91
Minibot
Speed: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9

Postby Jetstorm92210 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
"Me Grimlock, hate him too!"
Jetstorm92210
Fuzor
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Skill: 8

Postby sunburn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 pm

I think Bay hates plot continuity too. It seems like the only thing that Bay supervised in the movie was the explosions and making sure his name was incorporated with transformers.
sunburn
Mini-Con

Postby First Gen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
sunburn wrote:I think Bay hates plot continuity too. It seems like the only thing that Bay supervised in the movie was the explosions and making sure his name was incorporated with transformers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to Seibertron.com sunburn.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Speed: 6

Postby DinobotKing » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Yeah, because we can totally buy the believability of a giant robot scorpion in the first two movies. But robot dinosaurs? Now you're just being silly.....
DinobotKing
Mini-Con

Postby bronzgunz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Weapon: Armor Axe
Jetstorm9221 wrote:"Me Grimlock, hate him too!"

:lol: Seriously, "hate"? That's harsh, dude. :(
Last edited by bronzgunz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Till all are one."
bronzgunz
Mini-Con
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Archanubis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
Sometimes I think he says things just to see how the fans will react. Besides, he's not the first person involved with the films to say he's not fond of the Dinobots.

Personally, I would love to see 'em in the films, but there may not be any way to fit them into the films, either storywise or aesthetically. Besides, Bay's always wanted that aircraft-carrier Transformer, so now would be a good time to introduce the supergiants like Omega Supreme or Tidal Wave.
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
DinobotKing wrote:Yeah, because we can totally buy the believability of a giant robot scorpion in the first two movies. But robot dinosaurs? Now you're just being silly.....

Hmm.... Never thought about that. Good point.

Though i have to agree with most, that i hope they don't make it into the next movie. Scorpinix worked well being a "Scout" that was able to tail the army team in the first movie.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby It Is Him » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:05 pm

First Gen wrote:Michael Bay was quoted in the post as saying this about the possible introduction of the Dinobots for Transformers 3:

"They've never been discussed [for inclusion]" stated Bay. "I don't like them. Actually, I hate them."

Before I even read the story, the headline alone made me LOL hard. I love that Bay's already decided he hates the Dinobots. How could anyone hate on Snarl?
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Tigertrack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I could not really care. When I found out that the movie universe did not really fit with what I consider my favorite Transformers aesthetic, stories, etc., I really gave up caring what choices they make.

I mean sure it's fun to see in the theater, but after that, back to collecting the Transformers I like. The only thing that I hope for, is that the movie-universe does not become the next cartoon universe.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8

Postby First-Aid » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
I really don't listen to anything he says anymore, honestly, and could care less.

The biggest reason for not having Dinobots is the fact that continue to try and hold on to the robots IN DISGUISE thing. Giant mechanical dinosaurs are not really very good disguises. Simple logic. You could incorporate them in an ancient Earth setting, but in the modern world it makes no sense because they'd stick out like...uh...well, like a T. Rex in downtown Chicago. Now, I like what has been done in the recent comics- turning the Dinobots into the Dynobots (it's the "A-Team" of the Transformers universe!). But as dinosaurs...no. Won't work.
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby Starscream6 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Weapon: Photon Cannon
says the guy who knows nothing about them OR any other character, what an ass.
Starscream6
Vehicon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Archanubis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
First-Aid wrote:The biggest reason for not having Dinobots is the fact that continue to try and hold on to the robots IN DISGUISE thing.

Kinda got blown out of the water in the last movie with the Fallen announcing the presence of Transformers on Earth, don'tcha think?
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby TRANS+CRAZY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Universe wrote:i like the Dinobots however, it doesn't seem like they will fit in well with the movie universe.

I agree 100% on that.
TRANS+CRAZY
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Location: In Michigan... just minutes away from towns you've never heard of before...

Postby Baha08 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm

I honestly think Bay is more for the fame and the quick bucks. Because the plot, lack of character in the characters, use of military hook ups, use of special effects that are not really needed, it's safe to say to some degree the movie isn't much for the fans.

I mean I bet the G.I. Joe movie does somewhat better and has a plot. The original G1 hardly had a plot but like their are easy ways to make the Transformers movie line better and it's not even that hard, one thing would have to be simple by tuning down the realism a slight bit because it's one of the things people except hardasses or jokes point out about how this and that isn't real, even though everyone wanted to see huge robots fighting.

And if anything I bet he'll go to the realistic extremes again and have the entire ROTF plot covered up, even after the transmission from Soundwave and the Fallen, not to mention a pyramid blowing up.
Baha08
Minibot

Postby Convotron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Archanubis wrote:
First-Aid wrote:The biggest reason for not having Dinobots is the fact that continue to try and hold on to the robots IN DISGUISE thing.

Kinda got blown out of the water in the last movie with the Fallen announcing the presence of Transformers on Earth, don'tcha think?

This actually reminds me of something I wondered when watching RotF: Where does the movie series go from here? With the revelation of an alien presence on Earth, how does the world at large react?

I mean the final battle from the first movie takes place in a populated area. The second movie shows that at least one NEST operation was in the wide open(the Shanghai scene). Add in the Fallen's broadcast to the world. Can the fictional world's governments cover all that up? Will the third movie go with the Autobots and Decepticons as known entities to the general public? If so, I'm sure Dinobots can be worked in to be okay in the movie's context since the robots no longer have to be in disguise.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
Convotron
City Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Baha08 wrote:
I mean I bet the G.I. Joe movie does somewhat better and has a plot.

Actually, the G.I Joe forums are hating on the movie claiming the story (among other things) lacks. Just like many here were doing when the first movie came out.

At most, i think its pointless to try and cater movies like these to the fans cause one way or another, they'll find some way to bitch and complain. Its really a no win situation.

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Convotron wrote:
Archanubis wrote:

This actually reminds me of something I wondered when watching RotF: Where does the movie series go from here? With the revelation of an alien presence on Earth, how does the world at large react?

I mean the final battle from the first movie takes place in a populated area. The second movie shows that at least one NEST operation was in the wide open(the Shanghai scene). Add in the Fallen's broadcast to the world. Can the fictional world's governments cover all that up? .

The fallens broadcast is easy enough to cover up as a hoax. Someone hacking into a network. (and this was said in the movie). Be honest with yourself... If you saw a broadcast like that would you believe it without some kind of evidence? I'm most just brushed it off as some hacker playing a game.

5150 Cruiser
Headmaster

Postby Baha08 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 pm

5150 Cruiser wrote:
Baha08 wrote:
I mean I bet the G.I. Joe movie does somewhat better and has a plot.

Actually, the G.I Joe forums are hating on the movie claiming the story (among other things) lacks. Just like many here were doing when the first movie came out.

At most, i think its pointless to try and cater movies like these to the fans cause one way or another, they'll find some way to bitch and complain. Its really a no win situation.

Actually it's pretty damn simple to cater to the fans and new people. It's not very hard, in fact it's called making a good plot. I mean even for a movie like Transformers you can do it in like three movies and have a plot similar to the original but still different or easy to follow so the others would enjoy it. I just think that half the time writers like to think they are special but in reality they are pretty crappy from time to time.
Baha08
Minibot

Postby Metroplex79 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Jetstorm9221 wrote:"Me Grimlock, hate him too!"

But...but you're Jetstorm!!! :P

Seriously, I don't see how Dinobots can be in this movie-universe. It could happen...Scorponok and Ravage showed up. Maybe they'll introduce "Beast Planet", looking for a fight, Grimlock and his band of followers head to Earth on a rumor that big bad Megatron is there, and he wants to challenge Megatron. :-?

But realistically, I'm more expecting Jumpstarters, Battlechargers, and Duocons in the next movie. Looking for an advantage in combat, transforming faster into robot mode will give the Autobots a chance to strike first. The Decepticons counter with Battlechargers and develop Duocons...double the Con, double strength, double the power!!!

*hauled away in a straitjacket* 8-} 8-} 8-}
Metroplex79
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 6

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #2 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2012 2RI (CA) Milne"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers SHATTERED GLASS #1 RE IDW Comics 2021 Hasbro Pulse 1RE (CA) Coller"
Transformers SHATT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #50 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ESCALATION #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2007 3B (W) Furman (CA) Scherwinski"
Transformers ESCAL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #28 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Akin (W) Budiansky 231010E"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #15 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 BOLD NEW ERA 15B (CA) Burcham SEP190684"
TRANSFORMERS #15 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 0124IM329 7D (CA) Allen (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM896 (CA) Parel + Chuong"
TRANSFORMERS #1 3r ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #26 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010B"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 0923IM467 6D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATION 2 #6 Marvel Comics 1994 (CA) Yaniger 210227A"
TRANSFORMERS GENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #7 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0224IM313 7A (CA) Johnson"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #7 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers DAWN OF THE PREDACUS BotCon One-Shot IDW Comics 2016 240415A"
NEW!
Transformers DAWN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #19 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010S"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON