This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Discovery Communications and Hasbro Officially Unveil Children's Network Brand

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Discovery Communications and Hasbro Officially Unveil Children's Network Brand

Postby Seibertron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Press release from Discovery.com

Introducing THE HUB -- Discovery Communications and Hasbro Officially Unveil Children's Network Brand

-- Joint Venture Children’s Network to Launch in Fall 2010 --

January 14, 2010

(Los Angeles, Ca.) Discovery Communications-Hasbro Joint Venture President and CEO Margaret Loesch today unveiled the official brand and logo for the children's network, set to launch in fall 2010. Moving forward, the network will be known as "The Hub" and will reach approximately 60 million homes on what is currently the Discovery Kids network.

"A hub is a place where great things come together -- and that is precisely what The Hub network will be when it launches," said Loesch. "The Hub will be a fun and transformative destination that brings kids and their families together by presenting clever stories and engaging characters."

The Hub will offer young viewers and their families novel and compelling content, ranging from new comedies and animated adventures to live-action franchises and game shows -- all celebrating the core childhood concepts of fun and play. The network’s tone will be thrilling, modern and dynamic, both on-air and online. These qualities are represented by The Hub’s spiral logo, which symbolizes a catalyst of action and imagination. In addition, the network will benefit from the strong DNA of its two parent companies, Discovery and Hasbro, which share a 50/50 partnership in the venture.
“Under the leadership of Margaret and her team, The Hub will be the next great children’s media brand,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “The goal is to create a destination for quality content, and we are confident The Hub can become a strong home for an active and engaged audience.”

“Hasbro is a company built on play, and Discovery was founded on curiosity,” said Brian Goldner, president and CEO of Hasbro. “The Hub will have the resources of both partners as it goes about reimagining the future of children’s entertainment.”

Content on The Hub will feature rich storytelling with active, multidimensional characters and unexpected heroes. The network will tap into the best production talent in the industry for shows that will reinvigorate children’s programming. Additionally, The Hub will incorporate cherished Hasbro properties, including Transformers and My Little Pony, and popular Discovery Kids franchises such as Adventure Camp and Flight 29 Down as a part of a diverse and robust lineup of original and acquired programming. The Hub’s online home, hubworld.com, will become an entertainment destination in its own right, offering kids access to video clips, interactive games and community features that extend the experience of the network’s content.

About The Hub
Announced in April 2009, the Hasbro, Inc., and Discovery Communications multiplatform joint venture named The Hub will both entertain and educate, featuring content drawn from Hasbro's rich portfolio of entertainment and educational properties built over the past 90 years, including original programming for animation, game shows, and live-action series and specials. The Hub's network and online presence will also include content from Discovery's library of award-winning children's educational programming, as well as feature extensive programming designed to entertain, enlighten, empower and educate kids and families from leading third-party producers worldwide. The Hub is expected to launch in fall 2010, reaching approximately 60 million U.S. households on what is currently Discovery Kids channel. The online home of The Hub is http://www.hubworld.com.

About Hasbro
Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure-time products and services, with a rich portfolio of brands and entertainment properties that provides some of the highest quality and most recognizable play and recreational experiences in the world. As a brand-driven, consumer-focused global company, Hasbro brings to market a range of toys, games and licensed products, from traditional to high-tech and digital, under such powerful brand names as TRANSFORMERS, PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at http://www.hasbro.com. © 2009 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's number one nonfiction media company, reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 170 countries. Discovery empowers people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity through 100-plus worldwide networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery and HD Theater, as well as leading consumer and educational products and services, and a diversified portfolio of digital media services including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit http://www.discoverycommunications.com.

Certain statements contained in this press release, including statements related to the future expectations and timing for the rebranding of the network, the types of content which the parties currently plan to create and distribute via the network, and expectations for the performance of the rebranded network, constitute forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks and the actual actions or results may differ from these current expectations. Factors which might cause a difference between actual and expected events include: (i) greater than expected costs or unexpected delays associated with the steps necessary to rebrand the network, (ii) greater than expected costs or unexpected delays related to the creation and development of content for the network, (iii) changes in plans with respect to the future content to be created for the network or the timing for its development, or with respect to the branding and marketing for the network, (iv) consumer interest in and acceptance of the network and its programming, or in entertainment-related products associated with the network, (v) the financial performance of the network and other factors which impact the resources the network has available and/or determines to spend on programming, advertising and marketing, (vi) other factors which may lead to changes in the branding of the network and/or the content to be developed for the network, as well as (vii) other factors which are discussed in Hasbro's and Discovery's public announcements and SEC filings. Neither party undertakes any obligation to update these forward-looking statements for events occurring after the date of this press release.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: Discovery Communications and Hasbro Officially Unveil Children's Network Brand

Postby Slayershoop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Motto: "I have more of an obsession with swords than Setsuna"
Weapon: Battle Blades
Huh, interesting, I hope they have on demand to satisfy my TF needs, anyway, sounds good and I hope this turns out well, don't like the name all that much though. #-o
Slayershoop reviews, Transformers and oh so much more!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Slayershoop
Slayershoop
Minibot
News Credits: 3
Watch Slayershoop on YouTube
Buy from Slayershoop on eBay
Strength: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7

Re: Discovery Communications and Hasbro Officially Unveil Children's Network Brand

Postby Thanos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Motto: "Existence is a matter of opinion."
Weapon: Quasar Rifle
Even though I own all the G1 episodes on DVD, I'd really love to see them broadcast once again on the Hub. How great would it be for an entire new generation of children to see Generation 1 in all its glory?
Thanos
Mini-Con
Buy from Thanos on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Slayershoop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Motto: "I have more of an obsession with swords than Setsuna"
Thanos wrote:Even though I own all the G1 episodes on DVD, I'd really love to see them broadcast once again on the Hub. How great would it be for an entire new generation of children to see Generation 1 in all its glory?

That would be awesome, I wonder what the new show will be like too :-?
Slayershoop reviews, Transformers and oh so much more!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Slayershoop
Slayershoop
Minibot
News Credits: 3
Watch Slayershoop on YouTube
Buy from Slayershoop on eBay
Strength: 10+
Speed: 8
Courage: 10

Postby Cheetron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Well, if it's on Discovery Kids, I'm screwed. I barely get Discovery anymore let alone any of those good networks. I don't even get Nicktoons. Sucks to have cable and not be able to upgrade for less than $200.

Hope they do a good job though.
Cheetron
Pretender
News Credits: 1

Postby Thanos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Motto: "Existence is a matter of opinion."
Weapon: Quasar Rifle
Cheetron wrote:Well, if it's on Discovery Kids, I'm screwed. I barely get Discovery anymore let alone any of those good networks. I don't even get Nicktoons. Sucks to have cable and not be able to upgrade for less than $200.

Hope they do a good job though.

You need to get satellite, bro. MUCH cheaper and more channels than cable television.
Thanos
Mini-Con
Buy from Thanos on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8

Postby --B-- » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Motto: "Doing things my own way and never giving up!"
Man, with Hasbro having 50% control in this, every cartoon is going to have a major event in the middle of the series that has every character stay exactally the same physicaly but with a new color scheme.

The repaints will be glorious and numerous!!!
Check out my sales thread, plenty of Generations, and Reveal the Shield figures for sale!!

generations-rts-deluxes-scouts-and-legends-along-with-voyager-lugnut-for-sale-t78434.php
--B--
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from --B-- on eBay

Postby YRQRM0 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm

I doubt they'd show G1. It's not up to date with today's quality animation, plus people would be looking for toys of everything which aren't sold anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Armada or Cybertron again, but Hasbro wouldn't show anything they can't sell would they? #-o

At least we now have a definite place for TF cartoons, kinda sad how much Cartoon Network has gone down though...they'll always be remembered for stuff like Courage, Dexter, Powepuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Ed Edd N' Eddy. I wonder if anything like G.I.Joe will be reborn? Or maybe they'll play the actual movies years from now.
YRQRM0
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6

Postby JRFitzpatrick7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Motto: "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
I'm wondering what sort of animation style they will use this time around. I like cell animation but can't stand it when colors or symbols are misplaced (G1). I'm not a huge fan of Anime and I especially don't like CG animation though the toy-accurate-ness was nice. I enjoyed TF Animated a great deal but a new style is needed. I haven't really watched a variety of cartoons outside of [Adultswim] in the past decade or so and I'm a bit out of touch with what the kids are watching. I will say that anything close to Spongebob Squarepants or those dreadful Fairly Odd Parents (cringe) will be hard to sit through every week. But to keep ratings up I will toon in. Also, I wonder what age group it will be set for, the general idea seems to be around the learning stages of life, hopefully everyone will get something out of it.
Seibertron wrote:

Seibertron.com is a Transformers fansite. It is not a fansite about 3rd party products. I do NOT care for 3rd party products. I am TIRED of seeing the stuff here on this site. That's all it comes down to.

JRFitzpatrick7
Headmaster Jr
Buy from JRFitzpatrick7 on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Skill: 7

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Cautiously optimistic, here. As for G1, always did want to see it updated. LOL, maybe we'll get one with all the mistakes removed. ;)
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Speed: 6
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Delicon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Motto: "Seibertron.com: Other sites lack the meat!"
YRQRM0 wrote:I doubt they'd show G1. It's not up to date with today's quality animation, plus people would be looking for toys of everything which aren't sold anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Armada or Cybertron again, but Hasbro wouldn't show anything they can't sell would they?

Have you seen the G1 cartoons in restored format? They actually hold up rather well animation-wise, and maybe it's just me but when it comes to 2-D animation the old Sunbow style is a lot better than some of the spikey hair/bug eye anime stuff that became more mainstream here in the last 10-15 years or so.

As for the second point, you're probably right but don't forget that a lot of older 90's Marvel cartoons are still being broadcast so never say never. The Thundercats are even on that WB Kids network.
Proud Seibertronian since 2008
Delicon
Gestalt
News Credits: 273
Buy from Delicon on eBay
Strength: 5
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 2

Postby Skyfire77 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Motto: "Science can't move forward without heaps!"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Delicon wrote:
YRQRM0 wrote:I doubt they'd show G1. It's not up to date with today's quality animation, plus people would be looking for toys of everything which aren't sold anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Armada or Cybertron again, but Hasbro wouldn't show anything they can't sell would they?

Have you seen the G1 cartoons in restored format? They actually hold up rather well animation-wise, and maybe it's just me but when it comes to 2-D animation the old Sunbow style is a lot better than some of the spikey hair/bug eye anime stuff that became more mainstream here in the last 10-15 years or so.

As for the second point, you're probably right but don't forget that a lot of older 90's Marvel cartoons are still being broadcast so never say never. The Thundercats are even on that WB Kids network.

Agreed. Totally blue-skying here, but I wonder if they would start with G1, then show all the other series in order, up to Animated, before starting the new series. It'll never happen, I know, but it would be glorious.
Skyfire77
Headmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Skill: 10

Postby im ruined » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Motto: "Once again, our bodies SLUGGISH with GOAT MEAT"
Weapon: Concussion Pistol
Neat!
Image I DREW THIS
im ruined
Minibot
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 2
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr G 1:50 Image Comics 2023 0823IM292 1G (CA) Manapul"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 2nd ptg Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0923IM824 (CA) Howard 240210"
TRANSFORMERS #1 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #31 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 MAR210482 31A (CA) Zuniga (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #31 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #7 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210501 7B (CA) Pirrie"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM819 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUL210494 35RI (CA) Gauntt (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers SINS OF WRECKERS #2 IDW Comics 2015 (W/A/CA) Roche 230227"
Transformers SINS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JAN210498 2A (A/CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #24 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 220622A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207A"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #20 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010V"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "REVOLUTION TRANSFORMERS One-Shot LCSD IDW Comics 2016 (CA) Matere 230124"
REVOLUTION TRANSFO ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON