This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
During the past week, I have implemented a ton of minor changes intended to improve everyone's experience here at the Seibertron.com Forums. Now that I've made several rounds of initial changes, I'd like to get your input about what you think could be done to improve the forums. I'd like to have this be an open discussion ... a sharing of our minds. There is no wrong idea, no stupid idea, no idea to small ... let's bounce ideas off each other to see what can be done to improve the forums.

Here are a few things that were changed in the past week:

1. Search engine friendly URLs ... this basically means the URLs for forums, topics and posts are now readable to the human eye. The URLs now also include keywords which will help improve Seibertron.com's results on various search engines.

2. I fixed some CSS (stylesheet) issues. I decreased the margins and padding to bring the whole page up about 30 or 40 pixels. Not a big issue until you're looking at the site on a mobile phone.

3. I fixed the CSS for the "advanced search" so that it would be a dark color on a light background instead of a light color on a light background.

4. I removed the "Smilies" text that appeared above the smilies below the textarea for editing posts. I think everyone knows what smilies are now ... no sense wasting space.

5. I decreased the font size of the text below the smilies, again to decrease the distance between the textarea and the submit button when you are editing a post.

6. I moved the "Moderator(s)" text string to the bottom of the forums and topics instead of appearing below the forum and topic name. If you guys need to find out who the appropriate moderator is for a particular forum, you can now find the links for the moderators at the bottom of the page instead of wasting space at the top of the page. Again, just trying to make the page more accessible.

7. I got rid of a few forums this past week. Merged the Philosopher's forum with General Discussion due to how little traffic the Philosopher's Forum got in the past year (not ever 100 topics). I looked through that forum and didn't see anything that couldn't have been discussed in General Discussion, which is the point of having a "general" discussion forum. I also merged HMW's Maximal and Predacon forums with their respective Autobot and Decepticon forums.

8. I moved the Toy Sightings forum to be a subforum of the Transformers Toys forum. I figured it would be more noticeable if the sightings forum was available in the toys forum. Hopefully this will get some more attention.

9. HMW, Transtopia, and RPG forums are now subforums of the "Feature Forums" section. None of the links changed, I just thought the front page of the forums might look cleaner, more focused, and less intimidating if the individual sub-forums for those sections didn't appear on the Forum's main page.

10. And of course, there's the new BB codes that allow you to easily post YouTube videos, do strikes through text, and easily add spoiler text (finally).

So now I turn to all of you. What ideas do you guys have? No idea is too small, not idea is too unimportant. Small details make the world of difference. Share your thoughts!
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: Discuss ways to improve our forums

Postby Mykltron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
The search function is a PITA. How about giving us the choice of searching forum text or forum titles?

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 pm

I just fixed the "quote" code in the news section so that our quotes from the message board will display properly, particularly with user comments below a news post.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... oss/17821/
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Mykltron wrote:The search function is a PITA. How about giving us the choice of searching forum text or forum titles?

You have that option when you click on "Advanced Search":

search.php

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're requesting ...
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby The Legend » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Large photos are cropped when posted in forums. Can they be auto-thumbed if they are above a certain size?

When signing up to the site forums the verification code is extremely hard to work out. When you can see the code through the speckles the letters and numbers look like they were written by a 2 year old using MSpaint and just look like scrawl. It took me about 15 tries through several hours to sign up.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Re: Share your ideas about ways to improve Seibertron.com's forums

Postby Nemesis_Apoc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Party Forum Resurrection anyone?

I Døden finnes all makt
Nemesis_Apoc
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Large photo test ...

Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby The Legend » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Seibertron wrote:Large photo test ...

Unless you posted half of Banzai-tron's face, test failed.
EDIT- That's better.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby The Legend » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 pm

The post times are about 10 minutes out.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

The Legend wrote:The post times are about 10 minutes out.

Should be fixed now.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:15 pm

The Legend wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Large photo test ...

Unless you posted half of Banzai-tron's face, test failed.
EDIT- That's better.

Ah, much better. I applied "max-width:100%" in the style sheet to images. Now they will scale according to your browser's width. Ugh. I should've done this years ago. I never thought about doing max-width:100% ... I kept thinking that I should have a fixed pixel width.

I applied this change to the front end for the news section as well. Another awesome side-effect is that this will fix the images in the forums and the news section for mobile devices as well.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Skyfire77 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Motto: "Science can't move forward without heaps!"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Night Raid and I mentioned this on the Trouble thread, but just in case: the Mark Topics Read button doesn't seem to be working.
Skyfire77
Headmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby YRQRM0 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 pm

That picture thing was the only thing that bothered me, I have no complaints....as long as I can see the whole picture
YRQRM0
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10

Postby Down_Shift » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
Not so much an improvement to the forums so much as it is a suggestion for the galleries. Over the years when I've looked at the galleries I always like to take a closer look at the pictures but always have to go back to see the thumbnails again.

Why not have the thumbnails available under the larger images. This way you have the option of going forward through the gallery of larger images while still being able to see and cycle through the thumbnail images?

Also I'd like to see an import emoticon feature. People always seem to have there own hilarious emoticons, and while ours are pretty good there are some good ones out there not gracing the pages here on Seibertron.com.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Skill: 6

Postby Seibertron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Down_Shift wrote:Not so much an improvement to the forums so much as it is a suggestion for the galleries. Over the years when I've looked at the galleries I always like to take a closer look at the pictures but always have to go back to see the thumbnails again. Why not have the thumbnails available under the larger images. This way you have the option of going forward through the gallery of larger images while still being able to see and cycle through the thumbnail images?

This is an interesting suggestion and definitely something for me to ponder. I guess I always assumed that people would hold down the "ctrl" button on their keyboard and then click on the thumbnails to open the images up in new tabs in their browser or would click on the "thumbs" button in the top right hand corner of the galleries to move forward while viewing new images (when you do this, it makes the last image you viewed the first thumbnail on the page followed by the next batch of images following the image you just viewed).

Down_Shift wrote:Also I'd like to see an import emoticon feature. People always seem to have there own hilarious emoticons, and while ours are pretty good there are some good ones out there not gracing the pages here on Seibertron.com.

If you've got some awesome emoticons that you think we should have available here, please send them my way and I'll see about adding them if they're appropriate.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Tekka » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:34 am

Motto: "I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
The only thing I'd like at the moment is for the Mark Forums Read button to work again.

Edit: Oops, just noticed this has already been reported. Sorry.
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Seibertron » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 am

Tekka wrote:The only thing I'd like at the moment is for the Mark Forums Read button to work again.

How long has it not been working for you guys? Did it just stop working last week? I'm trying to assess if the changes I made last week broke this or if it's been broken for a while.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Tekka » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 am

Motto: "I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Yeah, it stopped working when you made the changes.

Before it would include the session id in the url when you clicked the link, now the sid isn't there, but it still doesn't work even if you put the &sid=123456etc on the url manually.
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Name_Violation » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
can we condense some of the announcement. it looks like an aweful lot could be combined. do we need 7 stickied topics? cant we get it down to 3 or 4

edit: i guess its just GD that has the big problem. but cant "Posting in spambot threads", "General warning about trolling, flaming and not respecting others opinions", "Info about our warning and ban system", and "Sig size guidelines" all be put into "**BOARD RULES PLEASE READ** ". all of thoses just seem like they could be in the 1 board rules thread which would de-clutter the top of the forum
Last edited by Name_Violation on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 3
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Cyberstrike » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
How about seprating the cartoons and comics into 2 fourms or have a sub-forum featuring comics or cartoons?
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Skill: 5

Postby Seibertron » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Cyberstrike wrote:How about seprating the cartoons and comics into 2 fourms or have a sub-forum featuring comics or cartoons?

I had the forums separated like that a few years ago, but neither separate forum was getting a lot of traffic. I merged them to help generate more interest but that still hasn't really seemed to work. There have only been 100 topics posted in since December 21st so I'm not sure what to do with that forum at this time.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas though on how to improve activity in the cartoon and comics forum(s).
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby The Legend » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Seibertron wrote:I'm open to suggestions and ideas though on how to improve activity in the cartoon and comics forum(s).

Seperate the forums and have have the staff create a topic when a new issue/episode is released to kick start a conversation. Oftentimes people have thoughts on issues/episodes that they don't feel the need to create their own topic for so their opinions go unvoiced. A catch-all topic to discuss in would be welcome.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Seibertron » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Name_Violation wrote:can we condense some of the announcement. it looks like an aweful lot could be combined. do we need 7 stickied topics? cant we get it down to 3 or 4

edit: i guess its just GD that has the big problem. but cant "Posting in spambot threads", "General warning about trolling, flaming and not respecting others opinions", "Info about our warning and ban system", and "Sig size guidelines" all be put into "**BOARD RULES PLEASE READ** ". all of thoses just seem like they could be in the 1 board rules thread which would de-clutter the top of the forum

This has been a concern of mine for a while. I created a new Subforum, which now appears under General Discussion called "Rules Forum". I moved all of the rules topics into that forum, modified the topic titles, and unlocked the topics in order to allow users to ask questions if necessary.

general-discussion-f14.html
rules-forum-f214.html

Now to create a "Rules" link somewhere in the forum's header.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Skyfire77 wrote:Night Raid and I mentioned this on the Trouble thread, but just in case: the Mark Topics Read button doesn't seem to be working.

Tekka wrote:The only thing I'd like at the moment is for the Mark Forums Read button to work again.

Tekka wrote:Yeah, it stopped working when you made the changes.

Before it would include the session id in the url when you clicked the link, now the sid isn't there, but it still doesn't work even if you put the &sid=123456etc on the url manually.

This should be working properly now. Can you guys confirm?
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 pm

I meant to mention yesterday that I fixed the "quotes" so that they will display properly in the news section and display slightly differently than they used to in the forums.

share-your-ideas-about-ways-to-improve-seibertron-com-s-forums-t63300s20.html

Also modified the smilies and added back in some old favorites. Moved the smilies back to the right of the textarea that we type in, again to help free up some space following the textarea and the submit button.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Next

Return to General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNICRON Transformers Super7 Reaction Retro Wave 6 G1 Prototype 2023 New"
UNICRON Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHARKTICON (Gnaw) Transformers Super7 Reaction Retro Wave 6 2023 New"
SHARKTICON (Gnaw) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Funko Pop! Transformers BUMBLEBEE Vinyl Figure #23 Retro Toys 2020 New"
Funko Pop! Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (Purple) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Autobot Series Decoy"
BUMBLEBEE (Purple) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON + KREMZEEK Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" figure WV2 2023 New"
MEGATRON + KREMZEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BANZAI-TRON Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" action master figure WV1 2022 New"
BANZAI-TRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FALLEN LEADER OPTIMUS PRIME W/ MATRIX Transformers Super7 Reaction Series 4 New"
FALLEN LEADER OPTI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK + WHEELIE Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" dino figure WV2 figure 2023"
GRIMLOCK + WHEELIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" Junkion action figure 2023 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HYPER STEEL MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023"
HYPER STEEL MEGATR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Funko Pop! Transformers SOUNDWAVE Vinyl Figure #37 Retro Toys Gamestop 2021 New"
Funko Pop! Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON (Orange) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Decepticon Series Decoys"
MEGATRON (Orange) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING STARSCREAM Transformers Movie Super7 Reaction Series 4 Retro Figure 2021"
KING STARSCREAM Tr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Optimus Prime and Grimlock Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON