This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works

Postby Blurrz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
Every Transformers era has had a posterboy, and with all the limelight comes more products featuring that special Transformer. While the movieverse has focused on Bumblebee, over the years IDW's current take on our favourite transforming robots has focused on a Transformer known as Drift. As reported in previous Transformers conventions and finalized in Toy Fair 2010, Drift will be getting his own toy.

Now a new listing has recently popped up on Amazon.com, signalling that Drift will get a 104 page paperback in his name. Whether this is brand new content or a recollection of old works is yet to be determined. Check out the listing here and the description below.

What was it that caused one of the Decepticon's most ruthless soldiers to turn his back on the Decepticon army and what is the ancient secret that lies hidden deep within an alien planet? All this and more as the origin of the newest Autobot, Drift, is finally revealed!

Keep it at Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works

Postby Mkall » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
This, I might just have to read. This also cements in my head that Drift will be the new Hot Shot-type character in terms of overuse in Hasbro media, and will most likely have a cartoon character.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Speed: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby Abraxsis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

I just don't get the fascination with Drift. Are the IDW that huge and well known that it warrants a toy and novel based on it?

Before the toy was revealed I'd never heard of Drift as I don't read the IDW books. Plus I really don't think the figure is that awesome, so I just don't see what the big deal about Drift is.
Abraxsis
Minibot

Postby Dead Metal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Why?
The **** are they so obsessed with Drift? Seriously idw gave us Nova Prime, badass undead Galvatron and transsexual Arcee, why not focus on the interesting characters instead of made of fail Drift?

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Mechastrike » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 am

the box says he's an Autobot... so where is his insignia on his car and robot mode?

btw, i'm starting to like this toy because of the sword storage.
Mechastrike
Combiner

Postby dragons » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 am

well only reason i like drift is hes the only transfromer that i wouldnt mind getting that only uses swords as weapons, ive seen seom other transfromers use hand weapons swords, axes but but they all carr guns with them drift fights more like ninja assasin from what i read about him never seen him use gun in his spotlight just his swords.

[/quote]Why?
The **** are they so obsessed with Drift? Seriously idw gave us Nova Prime, badass undead Galvatron and transsexual Arcee, why not focus on the interesting characters instead of made of fail Drift?[/quote]

i for one would like to see nova prime be made by hasbro or takara i doubt they do it if we where to ask to them but thats a prime to see how hasbro take on that figure
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Darth Bombshell » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:46 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Dead Metal wrote:Why?
The **** are they so obsessed with Drift? Seriously idw gave us Nova Prime, badass undead Galvatron and transsexual Arcee, why not focus on the interesting characters instead of made of fail Drift?

Because that would be smart. And when it comes to Transformers, no one seems to be capable of doing anything smart lately.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Skill: 7

Postby kirbenvost » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I don't really have a problem with Drift. Even though his backstory is pretty cliche-ridden, I still think it's cool. If this is a new comic miniseries I'm definitely interested. If it's an actual novel...I'll just read the synopsis on the TF Wiki. :P
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby Chaoslock » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
kirbenvost wrote:I don't really have a problem with Drift. Even though his backstory is pretty cliche-ridden, I still think it's cool.

Seconded... At first I hated him, but he wasn't as much overused by IDW as could have been, and the toy actually looks bada**.

Well, I may buy this...

(Damn, what one year of quality-less addiction does to me...)
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9

Postby JediJerseyJoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Motto: ""Through strength of arms, comes victory!""
Ok, look.

heres why I love drift

1) He is a completely new character with an unknown backstory, that is thrown in with the rest of the wrecker bunch... awesome!

2) He was a decpticon, that switched sides and became an autobot... awesome!

3) He is a BAMF, ninja style kick ass machine who uses huge anime style swords... awesome!

4) I absolutely LOVE his color scheme, and alt mode. His name plays to his colors. Drifting was invented in japan, and his colors are of the Japanese flag, as well as the fact that he essentially uses a 3x samurai sword set... awesome!

5) he is "recon" and fast as ****, just like blur. I see a mutual respect between the two of them and I love the was IDW developed his integration into the wreckers.

he reminds me of a jedi, and I just like the character.. lol
"The Matrix will light our Darkest Hour"

Collections complete MISB: US G1, Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines, Energon, Energon Power links, RID, Cybertron, Universe.
JediJerseyJoe
Mini-Con
Strength: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Windsweeper » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I've never taken to the IDW comics like I did Marvel and Dreamwave but I have to admit I do like Drift.

But then I always did have a soft spot for characters looking for redemption.

Shame he's not a Basic because I hate Deluxe cars. They look out of place with the Diaclones and Classic jets.

Anywho, I'm hoping this is new Drift fiction or at least collects his stories so I can finally read All Hail Megatron in it's entirety.

But yes, more Drift! Though the OTHER interesting characters would be nice too. Arcee, Nova Prime Jazz (loved him in AHM)and Prowl (love the Nick Roche story) NOT Springer, Kup and Bumblebee.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Jetstorm92210 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
I like Drift, he seems to be a fresh new idea, however, I don't like him being in the I am Optimus Prime story book, that was a bad move from IDW's part. (#$%& He doesn't even have a robot hero... yet. Nor Ratchet.)
Jetstorm92210
Fuzor
Strength: 6
Endurance: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Rodimus723 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:10 pm

I for one am a fan of Drift. The reason that I like him is that he is a former Decepticon turned Autobot. Which, dispite belief to the contrary is rather unique in the G1 universe. I say that because Jetfire/Skyfire doesn't count because he at first didn't know what he was getting into (much like Silverbolt in Beast Wars), and anyone else like that are more double agents than changing sides. Drift is repentant from his time with the Decepticons, much like Dinobot (though that wasn't Imediate but that's another story). I think that most of the people that don't like him feel that way BECAUSE he is new (aka it changed now it sucks). I will admit the swords are a little cliche but who doesn't like a good cliche character once in a while.
Rodimus723

Postby Stormer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Motto: "I just want to teleport in, destroy some monsters, damage some property and teleport out."
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Here's what I like about Drift other than the fact he's bad ass - immagine the possibilities of his background story, which may include a mysterious third faction. I think this story line has a lot of potential to open up the whole TF Universe in a different direction. Every once in a while I like a good veering off from the same ol' over used path.
I'm all about a good story - don't dissapoint me!
Stormer
Vehicon
Strength: 8
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword

I dont even know who the hell Drift is! And, Undead Galvatrons!? :???: Trans Arcees!? :shock: WTF have I been missing!?
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby mechabooks » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Motto: "Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
I'm excited about Drift being another headlining character. I don't get the obsession with Bumblebee that other people have.
mechabooks
Fuzor
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 4

Postby Badassimus Prime » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Motto: "Do it with style or don't bother doing it!"
Weapon: Photon Laser
Well this is a surprise; there are some people who actually appreciate the character. I must say It's refreshing to read other than the usual ignorant flack such as "I hate Drift...why does he get attention?...Marty Sue...blah!" Anywho, I'll look forward to this paperback. ;)
Badassimus Prime
Fuzor
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9

Postby Mkall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
SlyTF1 wrote:

I dont even know who the hell Drift is! And, Undead Galvatrons!? :???: Trans Arcees!? :shock: WTF have I been missing!?

Some of, IMO at least, the best TF storytelling in a long while; at least up until All Hail Megatron, then it's a bit of a crapshoot

AutobotJazz87 wrote:Well this is a surprise; there are some people who actually appreciate the character. I must say It's refreshing to read other than the usual ignorant flack such as "I hate Drift...why does he get attention?...Marty Sue...blah!" Anywho, I'll look forward to this paperback. ;)

Anyone that hates Drift had better hate Snake Eyes too, because they're basically the same concept, just a different backstory and one talks.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402

Postby Loki God Of Mischief » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Mkall wrote:
AutobotJazz87 wrote:Well this is a surprise; there are some people who actually appreciate the character. I must say It's refreshing to read other than the usual ignorant flack such as "I hate Drift...why does he get attention?...Marty Sue...blah!" Anywho, I'll look forward to this paperback. ;)

Anyone that hates Drift had better hate Snake Eyes too, because they're basically the same concept, just a different backstory and one talks.

Snake Eyes wasn't just created in the last year or two and retconned into the classic G.I. Joe universe. He's also actually been to Japan. Drift is a giant weeaboo ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL who would be some DeviantArt kid's OC if he weren't made canon.

It's best to assume every link I post is NSFW, and every post I make is just me taking the piss.
Loki God Of Mischief
Brainmaster

Postby Mechabreaker » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Motto: "The only good Decepticon is a deactivated Decepticon."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
IDW just doesn't get that the one thing fans hate is a stupid, self-inserted Mary-Sue fan character who has a cliche anime character personality and an equally cliche back story.

Counterpunch wrote:I'll go into the street and slap someone's momma for a Leader-1 repaint.

http://taztitan85.deviantart.com/<---My deviantart account (It's mostly poetry that I write, but I will throw in a drawing or two every now and then)
Mechabreaker
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Alt Mode: Pickup Truck
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am

SlyTF1 wrote:

The times idw was was awesome and brilliant instead of just mediocre.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 am

Dead Metal wrote:The times idw was was awesome and brilliant instead of just mediocre.

There was actually a time when that was true? Wow. I've forgotten about that.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 am

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:The times idw was was awesome and brilliant instead of just mediocre.

Yes I like to call it Pre-McCarthy era.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Mechabreaker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Motto: "The only good Decepticon is a deactivated Decepticon."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Dead Metal wrote:
Darth Bombshell wrote:

Yes I like to call it Pre-McCarthy era.

But it looks like with this "Drift Book" McCarthyism may strike again :-x

Counterpunch wrote:I'll go into the street and slap someone's momma for a Leader-1 repaint.

http://taztitan85.deviantart.com/<---My deviantart account (It's mostly poetry that I write, but I will throw in a drawing or two every now and then)
Mechabreaker
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Alt Mode: Pickup Truck
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Dead Metal wrote:Yes I like to call it Pre-McCarthy era.

I see what you did there. /:)
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IGUANUS Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
IGUANUS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNIFICUS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2023 New"
MAGNIFICUS Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME + BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Trailer 2023 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME + BU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Armada HOT SHOT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Class Hasbro 2023 New"
Armada HOT SHOT Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Deluxe Predacon Hasbro 2022"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON MEGATRON Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ENERGON MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "METROPLEX Transformers Legacy Cybertron Universe Titan Class Hasbro 2022 New"
METROPLEX Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLAMPDOWN Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Deluxe 231208A"
CLAMPDOWN Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POINTBLANK + PEACEMAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Class 2022 New **IN-STOCK**"
POINTBLANK + PEACE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINER MEGATRON + SENATOR RATBAT Transformers Legacy Evolution 2-Pack 2023 New"
MINER MEGATRON + S ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON