This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift

Postby Blurrz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 am

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
It's Drift time, all the time over at RyallTime, the blog of IDW Publishing's Editor-In-Chief. We get a sneak peek at Transformers: Drift, the new mini-series focusing on the sword swinging, and faction changing Transformer. Check out the preview below, and what Mr.Ryall has to say about the series.

Since Amazon.com has a listing up for the TRANSFORMERS: DRIFT TPB, it's not exactly a big secret that we're going to be doing a miniseries based around the character. The listing also details the creators, writer Shane McCarthy and artist Alex Milne (along with colorist Josh Perez), but doesn't show any cover image. So let's show a little bit here--the cover for issue 1 by Milne and Perez, and page one of issue 1 as well. The 4-issue series will be shipping bi-weekly in August and September.

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: Sneak Peek at IDW Publishing New Mini-series - Transformers: Drift

Postby Hard Hacker » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 am

No no no no NO NO NO! Why?
Hard Hacker
Headmaster Jr

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Hard Hacker wrote:No no no no NO NO NO! Why?

Because someone touched themselves at night.
Not to offend you Hacker.

And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

I'm guessing that's Drift as in his original Decepticon colours? If so I hope his toy gets repainted in those colours as I would buy that repaint.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Blurrz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 am

Like everything IDW, i'll give it a chance. I won't jump the gun because hey, this Drift backstory might be pretty well done!
Blurrz
God Of Transformers

Postby Nekoman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:48 am

Motto: "Think for yourself, and think hard."
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
I've never paid much attention to the comics, but I'm interested in this. I guess just another example of how I'm a deviant.

I like Drift.
Nekoman
Gestalt
News Credits: 387
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: N/A
Firepower: 10
Skill: N/A

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Motto: "Be brief of speech and long on action."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Didn't read Spotlight: Drift, so I'm not too familiar with the character. In fact all I really know about the guy is from artwork I've seen of the character. With the attention he's gotten since word of the Spotlight came, it makes sense to me that he's getting a mini-series.
My vote for the HOF goes to my favorite Transformer, Kup, to the Headmasters (who still need new figures that aren't just the characters without their master components) and to seibertron.com for for being the ultimate TF resource.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: 3
Skill: 3

Postby Dread_Wing » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Motto: "We Decepticons are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun!"
Weapon: Laser-Guided Electro-Kinetic Blasters
Dead Metal wrote:I'm guessing that's Drift as in his original Decepticon colours? If so I hope his toy gets repainted in those colours as I would buy that repaint.

I agree, I do not think much of his character as it is written, but a sword wielding con, maybe as Bludgeon's apprentice? That may work. For once I will say, Bring on the repaint! :CON:
Dread_Wing
Headmaster Jr

Postby Cyberstrike » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Dead Metal wrote:And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

I wish IDW could or would fine a high-quality colorist for Alex Milne, everytime I see his artwok in color I get eye strain.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8

Postby Mkall » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
I'll get it, it looks like a fun comic, if for nothing else than gratuitous violence and sword fighting.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Speed: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby Aluus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Except from what we know, it's been implied that Drift didn't start using a sword til he became an Autobot. Look at the picture closely, at his weapons. No blades at all as Decepticon Deadlock. The name alone implies he preferred firearms. I'm going to guess his role was probably more of a sniper/commando. Furthermore, his bio in the spotlight said he refuses to use a gun of any kind. Probably some form of penance for all the Autobots he killed with them. I for one can't wait to read this series. I'll be interested in seeing this 3rd faction of Cybertronians he encountered.
Aluus
Fuzor

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Cyberstrike wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:And again a series which will only be cool due to it's art.

I wish IDW could or would fine a high-quality colorist for Alex Milne, everytime I see his artwok in color I get eye strain.

True but I think that will never happen, I think it has to do with Milne having a very "mangaish" artstyle after all that's where most of his inspiration comes from. And from experience manga only really looks good in colour if it's pastel or water colours, techni coloured high gloss manga always looks kinda off.

Maybe they should just let Milne colour the stuff himself with his markers, after all he is the "markerguru". :P

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Dr. Caelus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Lots of G2 guys in this one - Manta Ray, Skyjack, Ransack, the Decepticon Laser cycle (Road-pig?), and one of the Decepticon Hydrowarriors or Stormtroopers whose name I'm blanking on.
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Caelus wrote:Lots of G2 guys in this one - Manta Ray, Skyjack, Ransack, the Decepticon Laser cycle (Road-pig?), and one of the Decepticon Hydrowarriors or Stormtroopers whose name I'm blanking on.

Who cares, they're G2 so they will all die, twice to make Drift look more cool.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Blurrz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 pm

His toy release along with his own comic series.. next thing you know he's going to be in TF3 and Transformers: Prime. F*ck! Atleast put a worthy character like Blurr in there. :KREMZEEK:
Blurrz
God Of Transformers

Postby Darth Bombshell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Didn't read Spotlight: Drift, so I'm not too familiar with the character.

Go here. Tells you everything you need to know, really.

ShGarland_1383 wrote:With the attention he's gotten since word of the Spotlight came, it makes sense to me that he's getting a mini-series.

No, it doesn't.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

In All Hail Megatron, before actually being addressed as "he" in his spotlight...am I the only one who thought Drift was female due to his close resemblance to the Cybertron Override repaint?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby OptimusShr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Hmmm, do comics make good toilet paper?

Also since All Hail Megatron issue 6 I've only been buying the movieverse comics. Those are probably better than anything else since then. And less pain on my wallet
OptimusShr
Fuzor

Postby Stormer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Motto: "I just want to teleport in, destroy some monsters, damage some property and teleport out."
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Aluus wrote:I'll be interested in seeing this 3rd faction of Cybertronians he encountered.

Finally! Someone else is interested in that! I'm been saying that for months!
I'm really looking forward to seeing this - hopefully it'll take the storyline into brand new territory.
Stormer
Vehicon
Strength: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10

Postby T-Macksimus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:46 pm

For those of you unfamiliar with the Drift character or who are new to the site or the world of TF's the only thing you really need to know about this character is that he is approached with hatred, loathing and contempt by 99% of the people on Seibertron.com. As such, anyone showing the slightest inclination towards liking this character during his brief appearance/page-time in the All Hail Megatron series is also often met with the same contempt and scorn. Best thing you could do for yourself is forget you ever read everything about this character. From personal experience, absolutely NOBODY will respect your personal decision and the myriad number of people who were complete and total ***holes to myself and a few others over the introduction of the character was what led me to leave this site for an extended period of time. If you do decide to pick up this series, for your own sake don't tell anyone about it, don't enter into any discussions, don't even think about having an opinion because everyone here will tell you your opinion is wrong.

Before anybody jumps in my grill about this maybe you better take a good look around at the attitudes of the others on this site and ask yourselves why I've been so negative lately and on so little. What started out as a great place to commune with other collectors and fans has turned into a breeding ground for conflict, hate and derision. The real pisser is that all of you have turned the Drift character into your poster-child for all of it to. Every time I see this character now all I can think about is how many of you people on this site were absolute total pricks to a small handfull of us who found something to latch onto. Way to treat your fellow Transformer fans and collectors. Real show of community spirit. You should be proud of yourselves.
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby Oilspill » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 am

Yeah, the Drift hate is overdone. I didn't find him offensive or overused in AHM. Looking forward to the Generations toy actually.
Oilspill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 5

Postby MYoung23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 am

Count me in the 1% of people here who don't hate Drift. Every caretaker of the Transformers mythos has been given the leeway to create new characters.

I never understood the hate and still don't. I'll take Drift 100 times out of a 100 over Botanica.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr

Postby MYoung23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:02 am

Count me in the 1% of people here who don't hate Drift. Every caretaker of the Transformers mythos has been given the leeway to create new characters.

I never understood the hate and still don't. I'll take Drift 100 times out of a 100 over Botanica.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr

Postby Badassimus Prime » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 am

Motto: "Do it with style or don't bother doing it!"
Weapon: Photon Laser
I'm with T-Macksimus, Oilspill, and MYoung23 on this one; I appreciate the character and I'm well aware I'm in the minority. Then again, people on the web always tend to be pricks about everything so this is nothing new to me. If you enjoy something, then just do that; enjoy it. But why waste your time posting on a forum about something you don't like only to spew hate? It's idiotic. :roll:

On a sidenote, doesn't that picture of the black bot look like he's stepping on Hotrod's/Rodimus's head? :shock:
Badassimus Prime
Fuzor
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9

Postby Darth Bombshell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
MYoung23 wrote: I never understood the hate and still don't.

Then allow me to inform you. Drift was given heaps of attention during AHM, even to the point of getting a Spotlight (over literally hundreds of better candidates) despite doing very little in the story to deserve it. It's roughly the equivalent of a fanfic writer putting his own original character in a story above all the others.

Wait a minute. That's not the equivalent. That's the actual fact.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Mkall » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 am

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
T-Macksimus wrote:For those of you unfamiliar with the Drift character or who are new to the site or the world of TF's the only thing you really need to know about this character is that he is approached with hatred, loathing and contempt by 99% of the people on Seibertron.com. As such, anyone showing the slightest inclination towards liking this character during his brief appearance/page-time in the All Hail Megatron series is also often met with the same contempt and scorn. Best thing you could do for yourself is forget you ever read everything about this character. From personal experience, absolutely NOBODY will respect your personal decision and the myriad number of people who were complete and total ***holes to myself and a few others over the introduction of the character was what led me to leave this site for an extended period of time. If you do decide to pick up this series, for your own sake don't tell anyone about it, don't enter into any discussions, don't even think about having an opinion because everyone here will tell you your opinion is wrong.

Before anybody jumps in my grill about this maybe you better take a good look around at the attitudes of the others on this site and ask yourselves why I've been so negative lately and on so little. What started out as a great place to commune with other collectors and fans has turned into a breeding ground for conflict, hate and derision. The real pisser is that all of you have turned the Drift character into your poster-child for all of it to. Every time I see this character now all I can think about is how many of you people on this site were absolute total pricks to a small handfull of us who found something to latch onto. Way to treat your fellow Transformer fans and collectors. Real show of community spirit. You should be proud of yourselves.

I'd be VERY interested to see where these so-called posters who hae been "complete and total ***holes" to you.

Drop me a PM if you're able to back this statement up but I've seen none of this behaviour that you're referring to.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2022 Disney OCT220545 1D (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #1 Cvr D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #118 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics 2024 JAN240055 118C"
NEW!
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Cvr K 1:20 video packaging Dynamite Comics 2022 OCT220551 1K"
GARGOYLES #1 Cvr K ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER RANGERS #1 Cvr B Boom Studios Comics 2020 SEP200912 1B (CA) Nicuolo"
POWER RANGERS #1 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER RANGERS #1 1:25 variant Boom Studios Comics 2020 SEP200915 (CA) Momoko"
POWER RANGERS #1 1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #3 Cvr ZC 1:10 FOC Dynamite Comics DEC228479 3ZC (CA) Haeser"
GARGOYLES #3 Cvr Z ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #53 1:25 Boom Studios Comics 2020 JUN200771 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #5 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2024 SEP230246 5D (CA) Danino"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #110 Cvr C 1:10 Boom Studios Comics MAY230344 110C"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #114 Cvr B Boom Studios Comics 2023 SEP230080 114B"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #1 Cvr E Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230477 1E (CA) Henderson"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr P 1:150 virgin Dynamite Comics 2023 NOV220598 2P (CA) Parrillo"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #5 Cvr L 1:30 Dynamite Comics FEB230523 5L (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #5 Cvr L ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr S LTD Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220601 2S (CA) Nakayama"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr S ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations, Platinum Edition, One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" on AMAZON