This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Generation 2 in Review

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Generation 2 in Review

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 pm

With practice, you can actually shoot PEZ out of a regular dispenser with the right curve to its head. So I've heard.

Oh, and G2 technically launched at the tail end of 1992; I very distinctly remember getting Slag and Sideswipe for Christmas that year. Op, yellow Constructicons, the 3 cars, 3 Dinobots, and 2 Jets were all in Toys'R'Us that December, and I saw the 4 chromed Mini-vehicles in stores first thing in '93. Those ex-Euro-exclusives hit shelves that summer, alongside those awesome Jurassic Park toys. Repainted Combaticons and Aerialbots got released around Thanksgiving (though Silverbolt and Onslaught may not have made it till the new year), just like big-ol tank Megs in time for that Christmas, by the end of which I had every figure from the line, minus Starscream and the ones I had in G1 form.

The G2 comic debuted in October 1993, but for those of you who've yet to pursue it (which you SHOULD), there was also a crossover in G.I.Joe #138-142 that explains how Megs gets his tankin' new bod. Otherwise, it picks up right where G1 #80 left off.

1994 was all new molds with the Rotors and Rods, and Dreadwing being the big toy that Christmas. As cool as Megs's new rail gun was, it should be noted that the 2 launchers that attach to Dreadwing's smaller jet are some of the only toys that actually warranted that "Do not point at eyes or face" warning. Sharpen 'em, and you could probably kill rats with a little practice. He's gotten re-released a lot over the years.

In '95 all the new TFs were getting smaller, but the Cyberjets seemed really cool at the time, with their pressure missile system being so impressive/cheap that you can find knock-offs of them all to this day, though usually all in white and so brittle that the launchers break if you use 'em, so stick with the real thing. Go-Bots on the other hand...well, we had to wait 6 years for their group to retroactively get a decent name. The 6 new Autobots themselves, however, were cool characters with new names to match...until their first re-release gave us the worst thing to come out of G2. No, the cartoon was actually nice and tolerable for those of us who didn't have cable and therefore hadn't seen the old series in 7 years, and missed a dozen or two back then. I mean that calling the sub-group "Go-Bots" foreshadowed the advent of random, careless, character-name-recycling, including pickup-truck Soundwave and stock-car Frenzy, and Op and megs as puny sports cars that didn't really even get new color schemes. Yeah, I know it's for copyright reasons, but I was so mad about it at the time that I passed up Laser Optimus Prime, deeming him yet another unnecessary version. My loss. Oh, and the 2 Laser cycles and 2 construction Auto-Rollers came out that last summer too, the latter getting redecoed and released with the 2 military Auto-Rollers 3 years later in Japan for Beast Wars II. Those guys all ruled, and carried on the G1 tradition of TFs who turned into dump trucks having the coolest names, by actually giving us a Decepticon called "Dirtbag". That tradition sadly fell by the wayside by the time of Energon.

Sorry for a post that long, but G2 was an emotional time for me. It seemed like Transformers as a whole could breathe its last breath at any time, and it wasn't until the end of Season 2 of Beast Wars that I finally realized that would never be the case.

And then (sigh) Beast Machines came along and inserted the term "mercy-killing" into my daily vocabulary...okay, sorry, wrong thread. Hell, I've even forgiven the Power Rangers for kicking the crap out of the G2 toyline's sales, so my only regret is that even with this Botcon set, we STILL have never gotten a toy of a single character from the Cybertronian faction introduced in the comics. Ironic, as they actually made the term "second generation Decepticon" make sense within the context of a story. Yes, KB exclusive Jhiaxus and calling one of Sideways's heads "Rook" were very nice gestures, but they don't really count.

On a lighter, more mysterious note, at some point in '94 or '95, I swear I saw those Ultra Magnus, Galvatron, and Superion watches in a Meijers once, but passed on them, and they were gone the next week. Did those get a U.S. G2 release? Meijers has occasionally imported J-exclusive Bakugan and Dragonball GT figures since then, so those watches could still technically be exclusive to Japan. Anyone know for sure?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Re: Generation Two in Review

Postby Pyrostrata » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Motto: "Autobots just BORE me!"
Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
Duke of Luns wrote:You think Megatron is bad? I stumbled upon this recently:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3uxeI_sB4[/youtube]

They did sell it in realistic colors(another reviews shows one), but even in those colors that thing has "lawsuit" written all over it were they even to try to sell it today.

My how times have changed eh?

That is so many incredible levels of win I could hardly stand it! :lol:

Pez Pistols are awesome!
Cannabis Prime wrote:I didn't know a super-sonic jet could park on the grass like that!

Caboose wrote:Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!

The First Lady of Rage on the Twincast Podcast! http://www.seibertron.com/podcast/

Desperately seeking: Individual weapons (flash included) and missiles for G1 Reflector! PM me if ya got em!
Pyrostrata
Podcast Staff
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Generation Two in Review

Postby kirbenvost » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:37 am

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
^ Call me crazy, but I grew up in an era where toy guns were the norm too (I think most of us did). Heck, I even had a dollar-store disc-shooting pistol I PAINTED back into proper gun colors, and never once got in trouble for it. And then there were Supersoakers...well, those are still around, but they look even less like guns these days.

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
kirbenvost wrote:Interesting, this is the first time I've seen the Rotor Force guys. Pretty cool. Even though I was a kid when G2 was in full swing, I never saw most of them. They just weren't popular in stores, and I guess I'd moved on to Ninja Turtles by that time.

Let's not forget the Power Rangers!

Indeed. I was never really a fan of them myself, but many people were.
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Pyrostrata » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:21 am

Motto: "Autobots just BORE me!"
Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
I was at the end of my first collection when G2 came out....and pissed me off. I just was sickened back then by the garrish colors and ridiculous character names. I stopped collecting around that time. Fast forward to the present, and with older and wiser eyes.....I still find the colors obnoxious, but yet nostalgically acceptable. So, needless to say, I know nothing whatsoever about G2.

Thanks, Sav, for the crash-course! :D
Cannabis Prime wrote:I didn't know a super-sonic jet could park on the grass like that!

Caboose wrote:Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!

The First Lady of Rage on the Twincast Podcast! http://www.seibertron.com/podcast/

Desperately seeking: Individual weapons (flash included) and missiles for G1 Reflector! PM me if ya got em!
Pyrostrata
Podcast Staff
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Hairball178 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:57 pm

The G2 promo commercial was the best thing that happened to me during my high school years. From my PoV the greatest thing that ever happened to my childhood somehow made a comeback, and since I was getting more disposable income (yard mowing) I could buy the TF toys that I never got a chance to own...

...except for the fact that no store sold G2 toys within a 60-mile radius of me. The only opportunities I had were when my family would happen to want to go to the closest Target store to me, and if I didn't cave in to the "Aren't you getting a little old for these?", I'd make off with some TF loot. I hadn't even heard of the internet yet, so the only way I could know who was being made into toys was by seeing the occasional toy commercial & flyers in the Sunday paper...for stores I would not be able to go to.

The first figures I got were Sideswipe (my first TF would also be my first G2 TF), Inferno (never owned him, had a G1 Jazz, so I saw this as an opportunity to snag a new one for my collection), and Slag (my first, and only Dinobot I have ever owned; Pretender Grimlock doesn't count). Later I bought all six of the yellow Constructicons, my grandma got me Drench for Christmas, and my dad found G2 Megatron when was working as a garbageman. My opportunities were so few and far between to buy them that I could never keep up with what was coming out before it disappeared from store shelves. I had the same problem with getting the G2 comic, as I was able to get #2-6, 9, and 12. It was a struggle to find anything.

I know the Cybercube gimmick was regarded as lame, but to me I was going crazy because THE FREAKING ORIGINAL CARTOON WAS ON AGAIN, BUT I DON'T HAVE A CHANNEL THAT CARRIES IT!!! My grandparents did (barely), but that was if my family would cooperate with me & get to their house early enough for Sunday dinner.

Overall I'm grateful for what I could get my mitts on for G2. I hear the hate people had for the cartoon and all that, but I cherished what I could get out of what I thiought may be the last hurrah for the Transformers.
Hairball178
Combiner
News Credits: 1

Postby Higear » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 pm

If Ive counted correctly I have 62 sealed of 79 so I have 17 to go. I could praise this line so much id have a wall of text in minutes if I did but Ill suffice to say one thing. This line is 9 kinds of awesome. It seems for me the 2 most incredibly hard to find Transformers is 2 orange Constructicons sealed. Scrapper and Hook. Im just overjoyed FP saw fit to do homage to one of my favorite lines next to Classics 2006.

HG
Higear
Mini-Con

Previous

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #37 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #284 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 APR210635 284RI Hollins"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #34 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Morgan 231010M"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #305 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM259 305B (CA)Kubert"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926P"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #280 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 DEC200419 280B (CA) McKeown"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #19 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #28 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Akin (W) Budiansky 231010D"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr D IDW Comics 2022 SEP221682 300D (CA) McKeown"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #17 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010O"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222S"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #13 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010G"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #68 Marvel Comics 1990 (W) Furman (A/CA) Turner 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #32 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Skywarp Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Decepticon Viper Figure" on AMAZON