This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

US Patent Office Denies Hasbro's Attempt To Trademark "Airachnid"

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

US Patent Office Denies Hasbro's Attempt To Trademark "Airachnid"

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:52 am

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
In a response to Hasbro's attempt to trademark the name "Airachnid", the United States Patent and Trademark Office has denied the attempt in a document released on March 10th, 2010.

The USPTO cites an existing trademark which is too similar to "Airachnid":

USPTO wrote:Registration of the applied-for mark is refused because of a likelihood of confusion with the mark in U.S. Registration No. 2917921.

Applicant’s mark, AIRACHNID, is highly similar to registrant’s mark, ARACHNOID. The marks are both intended to be plays on the word “arachnid,” and as such, are highly similar in impression. Additionally, the first portion of the marks, “AIRACHN” and “ARACHN” are nearly identical in sound and appearance, and the final portion “NID” and “NOID” is also highly similar. Note that slight differences in the sound of similar marks will not avoid a likelihood of confusion.

The highly similar wording raises the likelihood that a consumer may believe applicant’s goods to be related to registrant’s goods, and ultimately from the same source.

To see the full body of the Trademark application and the decision, search here and enter Serial Number 77892423. Review the document labeled "Offc Action Outgoing". You can also see this document here.

Seibertron.com: your source for trustworthy Transformers news!
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: US Patent Office Denies Hasbro's Attempt To Trademark "Airachnid"

Postby Overcracker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am

Motto: "Collecting little transforming action figures is the right of all sentient Geeks."
Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
A possible name for an HFTD Insecticon repaint? Perhaps they can all it Bugbite instead ad paint him white with lilac wings.
Check the Collection Manager Updates at the thread in the General discussion forum.
TF Search Website First Beta is now up. Click this link!
Beast Wars complete, Beast Machines almost done.
Last Update: March 14, 2024:
Now holding 1000!!! figures and 2310 releases of figures. Please check forum post above
Overcracker
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 5
Watch Overcracker on YouTube
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Overcracker wrote:A possible name for an HFTD Insecticon repaint? Perhaps they can all it Bugbite instead ad paint him white with lilac wings.

This was supposed to have been in connection with a character in Transformers: Prime, apparently, according to S250.
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Intelligence: 10+
Firepower: 10

Postby Elita_5 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:13 am

It's for the best, anyway. The name is silly.
Elita_5
Mini-Con
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby UltraPrimal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
It's a dumb name anyways. When I think of "Airachnid" I think of a helicopter with spider legs. Which is stupid, but awesome.
UltraPrimal
Gestalt
News Credits: 32
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Sky-Quake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Motto: "I'll rip out your optics"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
very dumb name anyway if I were say a Decepticon with that name I would be walking out on the battlefield saying somebody shoot me so I can be rebuilt into a new character like Tidalwave or Energon Inferno :D LOL
I am in need of another missle for my energon Starscram and a wing for my Armada Terrorsaur the one with his name on it if anyone has spares of these items that they don't need please PM me
Sky-Quake
Fuzor
Strength: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Postby Covenant » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Motto: "Just keep going.."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
That's a shame. I actually like the name 'Airachnid'. It's got that cheez-filled fun of a Beast Wars name to it.

As for the denial on the name, over-nitpicking, completely unnecessary imo. The name should have been a go, preference for it aside, in my book.
Covenant
Combiner
Buy from Covenant on eBay
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby craggy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:50 pm

I vote for Eireachnid. Make him or her an Irish Helicopter Spider. Go for a stereotypical drunken character and it'd go some ways to explaining the ridiculous of the name. Or, y'know, just use Blackarachnia, and ensure some sales to people who don't give a damn about TF: Prime but to like big bootied spider-girl-bots.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Mindmaster » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Would have made a pretty good Transformer name, most likely a Decepticon. But if they had gotten a hold of it and it was a Decepticon, they were probably gonna pull a twist in the plot; Airachnid somehow defects to the Autobot side much like Blackarachnia did in Beast Wars. :-B :lol:
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Intelligence: Infinity
Firepower: 6

Postby Galvatron X » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Motto: "Such heroic nonsense..."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Very interesting...but schtoopid!

Seriously though, that's not a really good name anyway...
Galvatron X
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 4

Postby amtm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Motto: "I'd've written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time."
Weapon: Sonic Boomer Laser
USPTO wrote:Applicant’s mark, AIRACHNID, is highly similar to registrant’s mark, ARACHNOID. The marks are both intended to be plays on the word “arachnid,” and as such, are highly similar in impression. Additionally, the first portion of the marks, “AIRACHN” and “ARACHN” are nearly identical in sound and appearance, and the final portion “NID” and “NOID” is also highly similar. Note that slight differences in the sound of similar marks will not avoid a likelihood of confusion.

The highly similar wording raises the likelihood that a consumer may believe applicant’s goods to be related to registrant’s goods, and ultimately from the same source.

That's like saying because "are" and "air" sound similar, English speakers will be confused as to which one you mean when you talk to them. Who says the "A" in "Arachnid" like the "Ai" in "Air"? And who says "oid" like "id"? Someone at the patent office needs a new job.
For sale: My entire Transformers and third-party collection. Includes Masterpiece, Generations, Universe, Movie, Prime, Armada/Energon/Cybertron, G1, G2, a few Japanese imports, etc. Many never opened, the rest displayed in enclosed display cases to keep the dust off. A few ads on Craigslist/OfferUp for DC/MD/VA locals, will post on boards or ebay when I have time.
amtm
Vehicon
Buy from amtm on eBay
Strength: 3
Endurance: 9
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 5

Postby Noideaforaname » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:46 pm

It's for the best, anyway. The name is silly.

It's a dumb name anyways.

Seriously though, that's not a really good name anyway...

I can't help but think of Aesop's fable about the fox and the grapes (though in all fairness I'm ignoring any name criticism from before this bit of news).

Anyway, saying it sounds sort of to similar to another name seems like a weak reason to deny a trademark -- although I personally am putting an obnoxious, yet typical for a toy commercial, emphasis on the "air" in "Airachnid."
This won't effect not-Airachnid's looks, will it? I'm fully expecting some flying arachnid (as in a spider, or a solifugid, or even an amblypygid... that... flies) to come out of this at some point, and hopefully not just an Insecticon repaint.
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby Oilspill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 am

Crapness of the name aside (and it is a terrible name), this does give an interesting insight into why Hasbro are frequently unable to use the traditional names for a character.

I mean, see what the patent office are getting at, but I think there is quite an obvious difference between airachnid and arachnoid. Particularly as the emphasis is on the 'air' and the 'noid' in each word (at least the way I would pronounce them) which further sets them apart.
Oilspill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 5

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Kinda reminds me of this guy.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #352 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0124IM314 352A (CA) Barberi (W) McConville"
NEW!
SPAWN #352 Cvr A I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #21 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 JUL220262 21B (CA) Asrar"
UNDISCOVERED COUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #13 Cvr B Image Comics 2021 APR210198 13B (CA) Francavilla"
UNDISCOVERED COUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Image 30th Annv Anthology #1 Image Comics 2022 FEB220047 (CA) Costa + Monti"
Image 30th Annv An ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #350 Cvr F B&W var Image Comics 2024 1123IM228 350F (CA) McFarlane"
SPAWN #350 Cvr F B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #51 Cvr C Image Comics 2022 SEP220089 51C (CA) Lotay"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #61 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 FEB230270 61D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM326 5D (CA) Bustos"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 One Shot Cvr M 1:50 DC Image Comics 2022 1M OCT223280 (CA) Booth"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 On ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2019 1A (CA) Camuncoli 230305A"
UNDISCOVERED COUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIRE POWER #11 Cvr B AAPI Image Comics 2021 FEB219190 11B (W)Kirkman (CA) Samnee"
FIRE POWER #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIRE POWER #12 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 APR210167 12C (W) Kirkman (CA) Lee"
FIRE POWER #12 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #10 Cvr B Dynamic Forces DF Image Comics 2024 (CA) Haeser 240210A"
KING SPAWN #10 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Spawn UNWANTED VIOLENCE #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 NOV220029 1A (A/CA) Del Mundo"
Spawn UNWANTED VIO ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Krok and Gatorface" on AMAZON