This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers The Last Stand of the Wreckers Trade Collection Review

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers The Last Stand of the Wreckers Trade Collection Review

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
It’s been a few months since James Roberts’ and Nick Roche’s highly-regarded Transformers comic series, THE LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS ended with surprise and fury. Sad for the end and what we were left with, readers wanted more from the duo, continuing Wrecker tales, or a sign of a new TRANSFORMERS project.

Unfortunately, there is no news of a new project yet, but this week coming to comic book retailers is the collected trade of THE LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS mini- series.

You either love a trade or you hate it. You love it because you waited for the collection, and did not pick up the individual issues, or you hate it, because trades usually include an extensive art gallery with alternate covers, artist sketches, or other such extras that readers may find interesting--but who will very begrudgingly lay down more cash to get in only the most special cases.

Guess what? If you waited patiently for the collection book, congratulations, your patience is about to be rewarded. If you are on the other side, and already bought the issues, well you might find yourself needing to buy this set regardless. What would convince you to lay down your hard earned money again when you already paid to read the original story as it was released month after painstakingly long between issues month?

How about a LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS prequel? Issue #0 if you will? Interested yet? I hope that my short review of this new story written by series co-writer James Roberts can help you to make that tough decision.

Expect their to be SPOILERS from the series, and from the new prose in my review. Yes friends, there be SPOILERS afoot.

‘Bullets’ is a narrative with no images. Sorry Roche fans, but this prequel is for reading only, no images for salivating over, unlike the case with LSOTW. Savvy and inspired artists will no doubt divide the story up and create their own book, or images, but for now you must employ your imagination.

Anyone who was a fan of the MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE-type, AUTOPEDIA PERSONAL DATA REPOSITORY entries at the end of certain issues will certainly appreciate this new writing. The 11-page story actually fleshes out the characters’ backgrounds and where the details in the AUTOPEDIA originate from.

I’m going to try not to gush here, but it was refreshing to read this style, and these characters brought to life again (some quite literally for those who read the high body count LSOTW). I may be a bit influenced already based on my previous experience with the series, and wanting to see more. Okay, I am. Deal.

This chronicle is not Garrus-9 based, although G-9 does get a little bit of a mention. This account takes us to Ironfist’s workshop, the ethics committee room, various Autobot bases, squad locales, and Autobot medical facilities.

For those looking for a lot of Decepticon here, it’s not happening. This is an Autobot-based story, and the Decepticons are only rarely mentioned as the antagonists who the Autobots are reacting to.

This is not a story of physical battles like in the series. There are a lot of mental battles taking place, and a focus on what happens before the Garrus-9 incident to members of the Autobot army in different positions.

First off, we see what Pyro, Guzzle, Ironfist, and Rotorstorm were doing previous to their enlistment with the Wreckers. A whole extra angle is approached here as we get introduced to many familiar and unfamiliar supporting characters who help to tell their tales. Staying true to their portrayals in LSOTW, these characters gain more depth and more detail as we read through what appears to be unrelated stories from each bot, up to the point where they meet to be picked up by the Wreckers.

The leader, Pyro wants to prove himself, and be as inspiring as his idol. The weapons engineer wants to be a part of his idols' experiences instead of just writing about it. Two soldiers are looking to take care of some personal ghosts involved with their different previous assignments.

Ironfist's partner in weapon creation, Skyfall, as well as, Xaaron, Flattop, First Aid, and Trailbreaker will be some of the many names you will recognize while reading through this story of war, agendas, and yes, betrayal.

From Garrus-9 to Gideon’s Glue, and even Grindcore, elements and details are explored, and brought together in ways that the series readers may not have really predicted, and should find fascinating at the very least, in a fun way.

If you want answers to some of these questions, then it is definitely worth the purchase:

How did Ironfist’s fatal condition come about?

Where were the‘noticeably absent’ from the Wreckers’ last stand bots: Whirl, Roadbuster, Sandstorm, and Broadside? You know, the guys we recognize as being ‘The Wreckers’ mainstays.

Why is First Aid closely checking Autobot symbols on patients in the emergency medical ward?

Why does an old myth scare so many Autobots?

What kinds of weapons had Ironfist and others created for the Autobot cause? What kind of regulations were set for the creators, or the weapons' uses?

What happened on Babu Yar and how did it effect the soldiers battling there?

Which new Wrecker experienced an abusive relationship with a commanding officer, early on in his career, perhaps causing his high regard for himself?

You may not have known you wanted answers to these questions, but after reading this tale, you may actually go back and read your issues of THE LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS (conveniently included in the trade) a little differently. Details will stand out to you now, that may not have before. Again, experiences will vary.

In my opinion, this is an excellent addition to the already known story. Was it needed? Nope, the story told originally was absolutely complete without it. Does it add something more to the experience of the series...ABSOLUTELY!

Ultimately, I am one purchaser of the original series, who also happens to have been lucky enough to read the extra bit without having to buy the trade. But, I will also be one of those purchasing the trade to have a nice, complete story for my shelf to pick up and read periodically as I wait for other IDW TRANSFORMERS books to find their way.

While Fisitron was famous for ending his Wrecker entries with the saying, “It’s over. Finished.” I know I speak for quite a few Transformers fiction readers, and all I have to say is, I sincerely hope not.

THE LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS paperback collection is due to hit stores this week, tomorrow for most, later for some.

Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Transformers The Last Stand of the Wreckers Trade Collection Review

Postby sabrigami » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
I am so freaking excited for this trade to hit shelves here! After reading this review and learning of these new facts I think I might squee myself to death =P~ :KREMZEEK:
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Chupacabra Convoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Motto: "Wait, we're supposed to save all humans? Are you sure?"
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Where was First Aid in the comic?

Also, already preordered mine!
Formerly Nova-Ting Ranger (That's right, I'm back! And in Pog form!)
Chupacabra Convoy
Vehicon
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Chupacabra Convoy wrote:Where was First Aid in the comic?

He's not, he's in the new prose written by James Roberts that is included with the TPB.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Chupacabra Convoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Motto: "Wait, we're supposed to save all humans? Are you sure?"
Weapon: Energo-Sword
tigertracks 24 wrote:
Chupacabra Convoy wrote:Where was First Aid in the comic?

He's not, he's in the new prose written by James Roberts that is included with the TPB.

Okay, thanks. Also it nice to see what we'll be getting a prose story. For $20 bucks for this trade is a deal and half. Usually I'd get just the collected issues and a cover gallery.
Formerly Nova-Ting Ranger (That's right, I'm back! And in Pog form!)
Chupacabra Convoy
Vehicon
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Blurrz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 am

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
All the awesome you could possibly want in one trade paperback. Too much awesome.
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Blurrz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:23 pm

...and Bullets was freaking a-m-a-z-i-n-g.
Blurrz
God Of Transformers

Postby sabrigami » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
Blurrz wrote:...and Bullets was freaking a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

My stores haven't gotten any copies yet :-( Man I wanna read this soooo bad :BANG_HEAD:
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Energon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:55 pm

I read it the other day. I will be glad to mail my copy to anyone who is in want of it. Make me an offer and I will put it in the mail asap.
I could not get into the story at all so I did not bother looking at the extras. The whole thing seemed like a bunch of inside jokes. A story about robots acting as low IQ humans even to the point where one pretends to have a cigar or some sort of device that looks like one in its mouth. The repititive use of the word "Kid" drove me nuts and supported the fact this story was more of a human story rather than about robots. The story had only two characters get any characterization. Not worth the $21.35 that I paid for it.
If this is the current IDW verse then they can have it.
I thought Transformers were robots, not humans. In the past there were quite a few instances where writers have tried to humanize Transformers. I didn't care at all for those scripts. This is one of those.
I give it a 2 out of 10 and that is because I like Nick's art.
Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 23

Postby Tigertrack » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Energon wrote:I read it the other day. I will be glad to mail my copy to anyone who is in want of it. Make me an offer and I will put it in the mail asap.
I could not get into the story at all so I did not bother looking at the extras. The whole thing seemed like a bunch of inside jokes. A story about robots acting as low IQ humans even to the point where one pretends to have a cigar or some sort of device that looks like one in its mouth. The repititive use of the word "Kid" drove me nuts and supported the fact this story was more of a human story rather than about robots. The story had only two characters get any characterization. Not worth the $21.35 that I paid for it.
If this is the current IDW verse then they can have it.
I thought Transformers were robots, not humans. In the past there were quite a few instances where writers have tried to humanize Transformers. I didn't care at all for those scripts. This is one of those.
I give it a 2 out of 10 and that is because I like Nick's art.

What story did you read? THis is not typical IDW now, it's the best they have put out...recently. ;)
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Blurrz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Well.. you can't please everyone - but damn you're lucky you did not touch Transformers Ongoing...
Blurrz
God Of Transformers

Postby Energon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:17 pm

I have read a lot of TF stories, am quite glad that I skipped most of the AHM series and all of the Ongoing due to the fact that it was related to AHM. I do not feel that I have missed anything at all.

If you want a tongue in cheek summary for LSotW then here it is.

Robot thugs get dropped onto planet in hopes to shoot anything that moves and wind up to fight a robot that has chip on shoulder about Megatron and torture fetish.

Arkworthy robot with chip on shoulder whines at a human about being shot.

Computer chip? Hey, you know that the data that it is about is useless now that the prisioners were terminated on the planet. What should we do with it? HaHa. Let's give it to Bumblebee. Maybe he will put it around his neck with a lanyard or something.

LOL
Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 23

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K32 PIPES Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
WFC-K32 PIPES Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROAD HAULER Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Voyager Hasbro 2022 New"
ROAD HAULER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K13 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K13 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DK-3 BREAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
DK-3 BREAKER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETRITUS Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Hasbro 2023 New"
DETRITUS Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHRAPNEL Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe G1 Universe Insecticon 2023 240224"
NEW!
SHRAPNEL Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K27 RHINOX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K27 RHINOX Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SILVERSTREAK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Hasbro 2022 New"
SILVERSTREAK Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINER MEGATRON + SENATOR RATBAT Transformers Legacy Evolution 2-Pack 2023 New"
MINER MEGATRON + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHEETOR Transformers Legacy United Core Beast Machines Hasbro 2024 New"
NEW!
CHEETOR Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LASER OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Legacy United Leader G2 Universe 2024 New"
LASER OPTIMUS PRIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEAD END Transformers Legacy Deluxe Stunticon Menasor Hasbro 2022 New"
DEAD END Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Trailbreaker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Quake and Chasm" on AMAZON