This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Interview with Michael Bay on Yahoo!

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Interview with Michael Bay on Yahoo!

Postby Dragonslayer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm

Motto: "Howdy, dammit!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
Yahoo! Movies has put up a video of an interview with Transformers Movis director Michael Bay where he addresses some of the purists' complaints such as why Optimus has flames as well as explain some of the engineering behind designing the robots directly from his editing room. Check it out here.
Wingz wrote:His servos bring all Naval Strikes 'Cons to the yard
Dragonslayer
Gestalt
News Credits: 7
Alt Mode: Classified
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 pm

"Why flames? 'Cuz I wanted flames."

This just in: Michael Bay thinks painted flames make things look faster.

Why couldn't Starscream or Megatron come close to resembling their previous counterparts like Optimus does his namesake? In summation, "because the cartoons look dated and blocky robots wouldn't look realistic. Starscream needed bird legs because humanoid legs wouldn't be ergonomic... ignore the fact that none of the others have bird legs". WTF.
AbsumZer0
Headmaster Jr

Postby Skowl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 pm

front paged and credited!
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby clk430r1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:06 pm

front paged and credited!
clk430r1
Mini-Con

Postby Skowl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 pm

clk430r1 wrote:front paged and credited!

Yup, I credited both of you since I originally found out through clk430r1's email, but noticed Dragonslayer also had a thread up.

What about the "Fans Speak" video that runs right after the interview, is that new? I don't remember seeing that before...
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby decepticonjon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:11 pm

AbsumZer0 wrote:"Why flames? 'Cuz I wanted flames."

Why couldn't Starscream or Megatron come close to resembling their previous counterparts like Optimus does his namesake? In summation, "because the cartoons look dated and blocky robots wouldn't look realistic. Starscream needed bird legs because humanoid legs wouldn't be ergonomic... ignore the fact that none of the others have bird legs". WTF.

nice! :grin:
Mykltron wrote:Surely it's not THAT hard to train monkeys... Is it? Maybe the monkeys were trained by monkeys who hadn't been trained properly.

G1Blaster wrote:Saying an album is ten times better than St. Anger is like saying you'd rather be hit in the head with a bat instead of kicked in the nuts.
decepticonjon
Godmaster
News Credits: 5

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Skowl wrote:

Yup, I credited both of you since I originally found out through clk430r1's email, but noticed Dragonslayer also had a thread up.

What about the "Fans Speak" video that runs right after the interview, is that new? I don't remember seeing that before...

I think that's the video that was shown at the last BotCon (or some other event), wasn't it?
AbsumZer0
Headmaster Jr

Postby Skalor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm pretty much over the fact that people still criticize with dismay Bay's work on the movie. The fact is, this is going to rock, the designs are working really well and just about everyone I know is excited to see this. Bravo Michael Bay. :APPLAUSE:
Skalor
Minibot
News Credits: 2

Postby Ultra Magnus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Motto: "COME ON YOU APES! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?"
Weapon: Dual Cluster Bomb Missile Launchers
Well, at least he was honest. Ah, well. Based on what I've seen, it looks like Transformers, they're calling it Transformers, it is Transformers. Let's just enjoy the ride.
"Alright Bots, the time is Now. Transform and Finish it!"

Ultra Magnus
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby ScorpoMax » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 pm

AbsumZer0 wrote:"Why flames? 'Cuz I wanted flames."

Something about that whole attitude of his that turned me off totally. I'm sure that this will be a good movie, I'm sure it will have plenty of action and quality special effects that will amuse the kiddies. But it's still not quite the movie I was waiting for.
ScorpoMax
Minibot

Postby Dragonslayer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:29 pm

Motto: "Howdy, dammit!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
Skowl wrote:front paged and credited!

Sweet action! :grin:

As for the Fans speak vid, I think It's a few months old. I started to watch, but I didn't finish it because I got bored :P
Last edited by Dragonslayer on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wingz wrote:His servos bring all Naval Strikes 'Cons to the yard
Dragonslayer
Gestalt
News Credits: 7
Alt Mode: Classified
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby clk430r1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:38 pm

Skowl wrote:

:D
clk430r1
Mini-Con

Postby Darth Decepticonus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:56 pm

Yeah his answer "Why the flames? Because I wanted them" did souns both dumb and childish but hey at least he was honest. I have grown to accept the flams. I mean Prime's main color scheme is blue and red right? And the idea that his I dunno what you call them in truck mode but in robot legs are blue. I mean that wouldn't fly well.

He is right that it is dated. Though I do not look down at the G1 cartoon really. I do look down at Voltron cause the characters piss me off so much and it's the same story everytime or the G.I. Joe movie...must I explain myself.
Darth Decepticonus
Micromaster
News Credits: 6

Postby tile_mcgillus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:12 pm

That whole interview made me sad face. The reasoning behind certain choices: The flames...oh gosh, The bird legs...shiver. The diss on the cartoon again. He just rubs me the wrong way. I always hoped he have a concept for the flames. Like a explanation that validated the whole thing that played into Prime's character and his perception of the character. He didn't. Could care less too. Man oh man.
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Darth Decepticonus wrote:Yeah his answer "Why the flames? Because I wanted them" did souns both dumb and childish but hey at least he was honest. I have grown to accept the flams. I mean Prime's main color scheme is blue and red right? And the idea that his I dunno what you call them in truck mode but in robot legs are blue. I mean that wouldn't fly well.

He is right that it is dated. Though I do not look down at the G1 cartoon really. I do look down at Voltron cause the characters piss me off so much and it's the same story everytime or the G.I. Joe movie...must I explain myself.

I don't mind the flames so much myself, but they do seem silly to me. Every time I see Optimus I'm reminded of the episode of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (I think that's what it's called?) where the retarded friend named cheese shows up and the blue thing wants to paint flames on their soapbox car. Or the episode of House where he buys a cane with flames on it and deadpans that it makes him look like he's going really fast.

I know the cartoon looks dated. It is dated. But saying that the cartoon looks dated still doesn't explain why they decided to make Starscream look nothing like his previous namesakes or why Megatron has to look the way he does, as if he's made of soldering iron glued to an artist's mannequin. There are other routes they could have taken and pointing out that the cartoon is dated and that robots made of rectangles wouldn't have worked feels a lot like someone saying 'terrorism' to justify the decisions made in the middle-east. We know things wouldn't have worked as they were, but what exactly is the reasoning for this particular route? Otherwise it really isn't an answer to anything.
AbsumZer0
Headmaster Jr

Postby Darth Decepticonus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 pm

I wont deny that I want Megatron's old design. I mean he's so basic looking yet when you still look at him you can tell he is evil and may be terrified in some way. You get that with the new Megatron but too much. While I have grown accustom to Screamer's design but would prefer the other one still. Hell I bet if he did keep that, Megs or both designs he may of saved some time and money I dunno.
Darth Decepticonus
Micromaster
News Credits: 6

Postby Roboto750 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:24 am

Motto: "Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try."
Weapon: Electro Scrambler Gun
Bay really didn't upset me with his comments, though I will say that I found the majority of his comments to be in response to fan's criticisms. The video should have been titled, "Bay Defends Himself." I will say that the fact that he didn't know many of the names while filming makes me a bit uneasy. I assume this means that many of the characters will not be addressed by their name in the movie. Lame.

Though, I still very much look forward to this movie! Can't wait to see it at Botcon! :D
Roboto750
Headmaster
Buy from Roboto750 on eBay
Courage: 8
Skill: 10

Postby dabattousai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:40 am

I hope not calling the robots by name during shooting isn't gonna effect their characteristics...

I guess we will all soon see if Bay destroyed the TransFormers, or did revitelized them to Pop Culture.
dabattousai
Combiner

Postby Stormrider » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:50 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
After reading so many interviews about Michael Bay I am starting to get the impression that he doesn't get it when it comes to what drives this series.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby bobpiecheese » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 am

...I'm not gonna say anything. Anything I say will can and will be used against me. Thus I shall say nothing.

Oh bugger, I just did :P.
bobpiecheese
Micromaster

Postby Spoon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 am

Stormrider wrote:After reading so many interviews about Michael Bay I am starting to get the impression that he doesn't get it when it comes to what drives this series.
Pretty much. He keeps referring them as "Robots" (which I believed means a mechanical humanoid like thing that has no will on its own) while he should be saying "Transformers" (which are you sentient mechs)
As for his arguments... how poopy can they get really?
"Because I wanted flames?" and "I didn't wrecked your childhood because if you look at the cartoons now they look really dated" ? Now I could try to write a whole essay (especially on the dated part) on this but since 1. I just woke up 2. Nobody is really going to care anyway. I will refrain from doing so.
Spoon

Postby Liege Evilmus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:27 am

I think I'm gonna not hate this guy so much anymore and just focus the remander of my movie rage towards the designers, blaming them for the look of the film.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby D-340 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 am

Spoon wrote: He keeps referring them as "Robots" (which I believed means a mechanical humanoid like thing that has no will on its own) while he should be saying "Transformers" (which are you sentient mechs)

That's kinda nitpicky, eh? I mean TFs have been refered to as robots since G1. I mean it said on the boxes "Converts from (insert to Alt. mode here) to robot and back". Not to flame or anything, just kinda comes off that way.

As for the interview, seems more like he's defending the choices made with the movie than anything else. The whole "Cuz I wanted flames" bit kinda urks me. The flames never bugged, being that I see at least 2 semis a day with flames on them going to and from work, but his way of responding to it does. Basically it comes off as "I'll do what I want cuz I can" kind of attitude.

As far as Screamer, while he's growing on me, ole gorilla-chicken legs isn't Starscream. Now I agree, the old G1 designs are very dated, but Starscream coulda been a bit more recognizable.

And that's all I gotta say about that.

"Consider the knowledge dropped."
From ToplessRobot.com:• "Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is marginally better than sh***ing your pants, but it takes a lot longer." Very well put.
D-340
Headmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Roboto750 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:28 am

Motto: "Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try."
Weapon: Electro Scrambler Gun
dabattousai wrote:I hope not calling the robots by name during shooting isn't gonna effect their characteristics...

I guess we will all soon see if Bay destroyed the TransFormers, or did revitelized them to Pop Culture.

True, it may not really effect their characteristics and story, but I still find it pretty lame. It's kinda like how they never called Venom "Venom" in Spider-Man 3. It won't ruin the movie for me, but it's just one of those things I like to see/hear in a movie.
Roboto750
Headmaster
Buy from Roboto750 on eBay
Courage: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Spoon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:00 am

D-340 wrote:
Spoon wrote: He keeps referring them as "Robots" (which I believed means a mechanical humanoid like thing that has no will on its own) while he should be saying "Transformers" (which are you sentient mechs)

That's kinda nitpicky, eh? I mean TFs have been refered to as robots since G1. I mean it said on the boxes "Converts from (insert to Alt. mode here) to robot and back". Not to flame or anything, just kinda comes off that way.
I know what you mean. What I meant to say is: Transformers is about sentient robots that are the center of the show. That's whats interesting about them. Hearing Bay call them "robots" just reminds me on how much I disagree about having the movie point of view being that of humans instead of the tranformers. It gives me the bad vibes of having an other "Alien something invades earth! What are we to do?!" kind of movies. Instead of focusing on what made transformers so interesting to begin with, the tranformers themselves.
Spoon

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0823IM476 5A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 FEB220440 (CA) Miller"
Transformers BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 3C 0124IM240 (CA) Burnham"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #41 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 JAN220487 41A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #41 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 2nd ptg Cvr A Megatron Image Comics 2024 0124IM894 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #4 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REGENERATION ONE #100 CE IDW Comics 2014 100CE convention 230207B"
Transformers REGEN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ANNUAL 2021 IDW Comics 2021 MAR210489 (A/CA) Milne (W) Ruckley"
Transformers ANNUA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 2B GI JOE 1123IM273 (CA) Ortiz (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #2 Cvr B Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Legends & Rumors 100-Page Giant IDW Comics 2021 231222C"
TRANSFORMERS '84 L ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #27 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 NOV200364 27B (CA) Powell (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #27 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #43 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Macchio (CA) Trimpe 231222W"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr G blank sketch Image Comics 2023 1G GI JOE 1023IM265 (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr G blan ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WAR'S END #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 DEC210547 1B (CA) Lawrence"
Transformers WAR'S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 4B GI JOE 0124IM248 (CA) Bressan + Lucas"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr B Imag ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Vortex(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Alpha Bravo Figure" on AMAZON