This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:26 am

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
The Los Angeles Timeshas posted a story about The Hub. The article discusses the concern that much of the programming on the channel is nothing more than 30 minute infomercials for Hasbro Products.

"The notion of a toy company owning a television channel for the sole purpose of promoting their toys is egregious practice," said Susan Linn, director of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, which has emerged as one of the Hub's harshest critics. Linn acknowledged that she had yet to see any of the network's new shows.

Shows/Products that are mentioned in the article are GI JOE, Transformers, My Little Pony and Pound Puppies.

Still, neither partner is backing off the idea that one of the objectives of the Hub is to move Hasbro's products. Nonetheless, such TV-toy tie-ins are as old as the marionettes, board games and wristwatches that sold because of the popularity of NBC's "The Howdy Doody Show," whose run began in the late 1940s.

See the full article here.

What do you think? Share your opinion in the Energon Pub Forums.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: The Hub Raises Product Placement Concerns

Postby Mindmaster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:55 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
That's kinda the point of Transformers. What good is a Autobot/Decepticon figure that doesn't have some fiction behind them? Say for instance a kid gets a Megatron figure. There is no TV show to backup his... backstory (I dunno, I'm making this up along as I'm going). The kid not only wants to learn more about this specific character, but wants to hear him speak and interact with other characters. So how will that happen? By the magic of television (and a couple of comics to throw into some official cannon) of course. So take THAT, Susan Linn! :lol: :DANCE: :HEADHURTS:
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Hans » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:24 am

Some people really need to get a life. I had a great childhood because of these "commercials".
Hans
Fuzor
News Credits: 8

Postby chrisc4 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 am

Motto: "Never let fear overcome you."
Weapon: Old-Style Musket Laser
what's the big deal? this has been going on since 1984! i dont know about you guys but I'd rather see a little kid watching cartoons and buying toys than playing call of duty or grand theft auto. and trust me I've seen my little 5th garde cousin play that.
chrisc4
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: ???

Postby NuclearConvoy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:02 am

I think somebody should tell those campaigners that we are about 70 years too late for anybody to ever have a commercial free childhood and that advertising really hasnt done all that much damage in most peoples lives. Everything I saw advertised and got excited over and told my mum I wanted I didn't necessarily get, and if I did get it I genuinely enjoyed it because, well, I am fairly certain that kids aren't as dumb as people think.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster

Postby Lord Onixprime » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 am

So? Every cartoon (at least almost every one) has a toy-line ,or in some cases card game, that they are trying to get kids to buy. Kids want to play with their cartoon heroes.

The only problem here is that they don't like Hasbro having a hand in the TV station, but Hasbro has become more than a toymaker. They have books, comic books, multi-million dollar movies and video games they are collaborating on. They are an entertainment company, be it entertaining kids with toys, or with cartoons and movies about their toys.
Lord Onixprime
Headmaster Jr

Postby GEEWUN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 am

Motto: ""I'm not Psychotic... just Crazy!!!""
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
DRAT!!! I knew this was gonna happen... I hope they pull through though.
By the way "commercial-free-childhood-campaign" WHAT THE HECK!?!?!?! Do people not have better things to do other other than criticizing commercials?

Like playing with transformers, now that is something better to do! :P
GEEWUN
Pretender
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Skyfire77 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 am

Motto: "Science can't move forward without heaps!"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood - Translation: "Mummy and Daddy didn't buy me what I wanted when I was growing up, so I'm going to take it out on all of you!".
Skyfire77
Headmaster
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 10+
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby SLUGSLINGER81 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:22 am

Motto: ""If you can't find a way, make a way""
Weapon: Slingshot
"The notion of a toy company owning a television channel for the sole purpose of promoting their toys is egregious practice,"...NOT S**T SHERLOCK!!!
SLUGSLINGER81
Minibot
Strength: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10

Postby whacko » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 am

Weapon: Proton Rifle
What kid doesn't like toys and cartoons? I mean cartoons have had a long history of selling toys, from Hasbro's past shows, Transformers, He-Man, GI-Joe, etc to the more recent Pokemon and Bakugan and other similar titles.

Kids like cartoons because they are fun.

Kids like toys because they are fun.

Kids like playing with toys based on their favorite cartoon characters because then you get twice the fun!

Susan Linn and other people like here need to wake up and realize that kids just wanna have fun. Even if Hasbro wasn't making toys and the Hub was never conceived, kids would still want to have fun, and most of the time that fun doesn't include doing arithmetic problems.
whacko
Minibot
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby hinomars19 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:54 am

Motto: "never forget what you don't know"
Weapon: Blunt Force Battle Clubs
Oh my...ok, people like this seriously need to grow up!

I'm sick of these type of folk who think they are righteous and above the rest.

Cartoons, toys, ads, it's all a win-win! The design, manufacturing, distribution, and of course the advertising keeps jobs on good peoples plates (and food on their families') And it keeps kids (and us big kids) uber happy!

Happy, well fed kids with well paid parents-these tools want to take a pop at that yet claim to be the righteous heroes of kid's welfare??

WTF??
hinomars19
Targetmaster
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10+
Courage: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby Blackstreak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
We all know Susan Linn is right about that. The HUB's purpose is to move the toy product lines. But I'm not complaining, I love watching cartoons all the same. :grin:

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby rpetras » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:28 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
My problem with people like this Susan Linn is that they want to raise my kid by their idea of a perfect childhood.

There are lots of options for raising a kid without commercials.

There are commercial free channels like Nick Jr. as well as on-demand. And you can always have stuff on DVD, use netflix or line up programming from the internet. Or just DVR stuff and blow through the commercials. Like I said, many, many options are out there.

My son is 3 and only recently (maybe 4 months ago) saw his first commercial! He cried because his show went away and "some junk" came on!

He is a bit bigger now and gets that they can show him stuff he may or may not want.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
Strength: 9
Speed: 4
Courage: 7

Postby Cobalt Prime » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 am

Motto: ""Excessive force is not necessary.""
Terrific. Another liberal whacko out to protect our kids from what is now the "big bad toy commercial". Commercial free? I hadn't realized that kids were having seizures and foaming at the mouth with their eyes rolled up in their heads from OD-ing on commercials or toy-related TV shows.

Ya know, I learned a very simple practice from my father back in the day, which was to turn down the volume knob (the mute button on the remo in later days) during the commercials. That took care of the problem without all those fancy organizations. In the early days, I remember pointing at the TV screen and declaring "I want that!" and my Mom saying "No". That was the end of it because back then, parents represented authority. Of course today's popular weak-kneed parenting practices don't help where children are allowed to scream their heads off in public if they want something they saw on TV and parents are too frightened of Big Brother to deliver a well deserved smack to restore order.

In terms of a channel consisting of programming related to Hasbro's licenses, I say if folks don't like it, it is their prerogative to change the channel and not the choice of some bleeding heart, self-righteous special interest group.
Cobalt Prime
Transmetal Warrior

Postby StryderPrime » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am

lil 2 lil 2 late to be all concern about. if a parent feel the child is watching these "toy commercial-like shows" to much then change the channel. Problem Solved
StryderPrime
Fuzor

Postby AutobotTrainer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 am

Motto: "Rule number two: Double Tap."
Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Cobalt Prime wrote:Terrific. Another liberal whacko out to protect our kids from what is now the "big bad toy commercial". Commercial free? I hadn't realized that kids were having seizures and foaming at the mouth with their eyes rolled up in their heads from OD-ing on commercials or toy-related TV shows.

Ya know, I learned a very simple practice from my father back in the day, which was to turn down the volume knob (the mute button on the remo in later days) during the commercials. That took care of the problem without all those fancy organizations. In the early days, I remember pointing at the TV screen and declaring "I want that!" and my Mom saying "No". That was the end of it because back then, parents represented authority. Of course today's popular weak-kneed parenting practices don't help where children are allowed to scream their heads off in public if they want something they saw on TV and parents are too frightened of Big Brother to deliver a well deserved smack to restore order.

In terms of a channel consisting of programming related to Hasbro's licenses, I say if folks don't like it, it is their prerogative to change the channel and not the choice of some bleeding heart, self-righteous special interest group.

BRAVO sir, BRAVO. Nicely said.
No thing that is created by humans is infallable.

Help! I need:
The chin piece for Animated Shockwave/Longarm (grey)
One pistol for TF:ROTF Brawn
AutobotTrainer
Minibot

Postby Requiem Prime » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:57 am

Motto: "You take care of your team and stay out of my way, so I can take care of mine."
Weapon: Hypersonic Concussion Blasters
I assume she wants to argue for children to grow up having more fun for its own sake than steeped with consumerism. (I don't actually know this, she could just be a crazy) But it's not the strongest position to stand for.

For one thing; It's not like commercials for stuff like toys and games are utterly scarring children or messing with their sense of restraint vs desire. Kids are going to want stuff, they always have. Children's shows from Howdy Doody on have try to make their stuff compelling so kids will want their stuff. Moreover, there's still the matter of them having, far as I know, a lot more dignity about themselves than commercials and product placement aimed at adults.

For another; fun for its own sake does not directly mean "wholesome". I'm not going to go further into that, I'll just stop with saying children can be just as disturbed as adults.

If you don't want your kids to spend all their time being marketed to, take them outside, go places and do stuff. It's not that hard.
Requiem Prime
Headmaster Jr
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 6

Postby NatsumeRyu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 am

Motto: ""'Camshaft' See, they said my name!""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
And how many times have we reminded the fans that Hasbro is a company? Do we need to remind everyone else now too? Or do we live in a perfect world where you don't have to make money to make a living?

On a different tact, did she ever stop to think that kids actually enjoy the toys &/or shows [and that that might not be a bad thing]?

Personally, I love bringing peoples' dreams to life. That's why I draw, or model/animate in 3D, or build costumes, or whatever. Hasbro does something similar with their work. Unfortunately, Hasbro can't do it as a non-profit company. They can't offer their stuff for free like I can (don't doubt it would certainly be nice to get paid for what I like to do, versus making money elsewhere and trying to fit the fun stuff on the side). So they sell stuff. And there is a demand for it.

I'm confused. Does she really think that we're so good at making commercials we can make people want anything? That commercials aren't a win-win situation anymore (consumer is made aware of something they may or may not want; corporate, now selling because people know it's there, can sell enough [if it's a worthy product] to keep going as a business).

Don't tell me anybody believes commercials are why people are spending money they don't have. *face palm*

Is the community here any example? Collecters like who're here couldn't collect much if they didn't know how to budget properly.
I take commissions!
2014-Officer Vi-Senketsu & Junketsu-Silver Knight-Origami Cyclone
13-Terminus Armor-Megaman-Lord Death-Tali
12-WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc
11-Reaper Conduit-Rampage
<10-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Combiner
News Credits: 3
Buy from NatsumeRyu on eBay
Strength: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 3
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Cyberstrike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Another self-righteous evil liberal conservative nutball that wants to tell people how to live, how to raise their kids, what religion to believe in, how to have sex, and waste my time with this crap. F*** YOU SUSAN LINN!
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Skill: 5

Postby The Legend » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am

Parenting... Let the TV do it.
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Dr. Caelus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am

Oh... right...

Skyfire77 wrote:Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood - Translation: "Mummy and Daddy didn't buy me what I wanted when I was growing up, so I'm going to take it out on all of you!".

Cyberstrike wrote:Another self-righteous evil liberal conservative nutball that wants to tell people how to live, how to raise their kids, what religion to believe in, how to have sex, and waste my time with this crap. F*** YOU

AutobotTrainer wrote:
Cobalt Prime wrote:Terrific. Another liberal whacko... Of course today's popular weak-kneed parenting practices don't help where children are allowed to scream their heads off in public if they want something they saw on TV and parents are too frightened of Big Brother to deliver a well deserved smack to restore order...

BRAVO sir, BRAVO. Nicely said.

That's why I stopped coming here.
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby Megatron Wolf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Isnt that what most cartoons are about these days? And last time i checked all the TF shows on there are not going to have a current toyline well except for maybe G1, generations kinda is a G1 toyline. As for the others i really have no clue. The way that i see it is if a kid watches a show & likes it he or she is going to want merchandise for it so they can recreate the show and show that they like it. Just think about all the cartoons & shows you watched when you were a kid and how many of the toys or shirts or cups you got from them. This is called supporting something you like and thats how the entire world works. This is just another case of someone needing a story for a deadline and picking something obvious and blowing it out of proportion. Cartoons are originally made to entertain but the 2nd point of them is to make money, and thats done by merchandising. Thats how its always been and its never going to change.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10

Postby Vicalliose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
Ripped from one of her sites
Susan Linn wrote:Children are now the focus of a marketing maelstrom, targets for everything from minivans to M&M counting books. All aspects of children's lives—their health, education, creativity, and values—are at risk of being compromised by their status in the marketplace.

What in the f*** is wrong with this woman?

She's been having little too much happy leaf.

Cobalt Prime wrote:Terrific. Another liberal whacko out to protect our kids from what is now the "big bad toy commercial".

In the early days, I remember pointing at the TV screen and declaring "I want that!" and my Mom saying "No".

Summed up my feelings on this pretty well. This is no different than the video game censorship debates.

At the end of the day, it's the parent's job to decide how their kid grows up. Not the babysitters, not the teachers, not TV, nor video games, and especially not politicians. If your kid is brainwashed by consumerism, or turns into a violent monster because of some video game you bought, it's your fault as the parent.
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Postby The Legend » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Susan Linn wrote:Children are now the focus of a marketing maelstrom, targets for everything from minivans to M&M counting books.

Really? :roll:
The Legend
Headmaster Jr

Postby Cyber Bishop » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
chrisc4 wrote:what's the big deal? this has been going on since 1984!

Actually earlier than that.. Gi Joe was released in 83 and pushed Toys, comics, etc..
Not a sheeple.
Think for yourself, don't let the magic TV box and social media do the thinking for you.
Question EVERYTHING!!
Just because you have a youtube review channel doesn't make you special.
No, I am not friendly online or in real life.
I look forward to attending a Botcon only to settle matters with idiots in person.
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 103
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K38 RED ALERT Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Walgreens 2021 New"
WFC-K38 RED ALERT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Studio Series 86-16 G1 Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR Transformers Studio Series 86-03 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
BLURR Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIER Transformers War Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUNKHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-14 Animated Movie Voyager 2022 New"
JUNKHEAP Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K26 TRACKS Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K26 TRACKS Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S13 ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Leader 2019 220825A"
WFC-S13 ULTRA MAGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 6B (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alpha Trion Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON