This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

TF United Grapple to have G1 Cartoon Accurate Head Color

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: TF United Grapple to have G1 Cartoon Accurate Head Color

Postby GuyIncognito » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 am

Carnivius_Prime wrote:Never understood the 'cartoon accuracy' on stuff like this when in a lot of the cases the toys looked much better (ok I'm not including the Ratchet and Ironhide, almost typed Clank there, toys though I never cared for their cartoon selves either) and the cartoon was notorious for errors. The black head looks a lot better but this figure overall looks very poor anyways. That original G1 toy looks far better, if only it were more articulated.

I totally agree! With more recent series, like Animated, I can understand wanting cartoon accuracy. But when it comes to G1, the toys came first, and the cartoons were created to serve the toys. If there's a difference, it's the cartoon that was incorrectly colored. So if I'm going to buy a toy that's an homage to a G1 toy, I want the homage to match the original toy, not the inaccurate adver-cartoon.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
News Credits: 12
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Postby Flux Convoy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 am

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
kirbenvost wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:Unsure where I stand on this. I may end up getting both and doing a headswap.
:BOT:

Why? They're virtually identical except for the head and silver hook.

I do have to say the yellow head helps him look just that little bit more different from Inferno, but to be honest I prefer the G1 toy look, and I don't collect Grapples anyway.

Because the subtle differences (chrome hook, actual faction symbol and not rub) make me prefer the United version more. I simply like the Hasbro head opposed to the orange one. ....Aaand I'm not completely logical when it comes to collecting these here robot things. I don't specifically collect Grapples either but I do collect G1 and Classics per my own standards and both versions fit Classics in their way IMO.
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby kirbenvost » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:10 am

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Flux Convoy wrote:
kirbenvost wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:Unsure where I stand on this. I may end up getting both and doing a headswap.

Why? They're virtually identical except for the head and silver hook.

I do have to say the yellow head helps him look just that little bit more different from Inferno, but to be honest I prefer the G1 toy look, and I don't collect Grapples anyway.

Because the subtle differences (chrome hook, actual faction symbol and not rub) make me prefer the United version more. I simply like the Hasbro head opposed to the orange one. ....Aaand I'm not completely logical when it comes to collecting these here robot things. I don't specifically collect Grapples either but I do collect G1 and Classics per my own standards and both versions fit Classics in their way IMO.

Heh, 'these here robot things'. :lol: To each their own, I suppose. It just seems rather expensive to get the Takara version for some very small differences. I also don't quite understand everyone's distaste for the rubsigns. In Classics, everyone was praising them, now it's the opposite. I'm pretty indifferent myself. I guess in the end I'd prefer a symbol, but it's not a make-or-break issue for me. *shrug* If you have your reasons, it's all good. 8)
------------------------------
Old collection pics
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
kirbenvost wrote:I also don't quite understand everyone's distaste for the rubsigns. In Classics, everyone was praising them, now it's the opposite.

It's called "gimmick fatigue" or "we've-already-seen-that-show-us-something-new" syndrome :lol:
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Flux Convoy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:27 am

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
I have reasons, I have no delusion that they're good ones though. Don't get me wrong, I adore rub symbols. For characters who never had rub symbols anywhere though, not so much. I'd rather have a faction symbol for Grapple, Jazz and so on. Tracks, I get. He had a rub symbol on his car roof/robot chest. For the original G1 mini-guys getting homages, rub symbols make perfect sense for any of those to me. They hit that sweet spot in the marketing for them originally where you could have gotten either. Each is a case by case basis though and I'm fickle (mostly just ridiculous) sometimes.
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby kirbenvost » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 am

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
kirbenvost wrote:I also don't quite understand everyone's distaste for the rubsigns. In Classics, everyone was praising them, now it's the opposite.

It's called "gimmick fatigue" or "we've-already-seen-that-show-us-something-new" syndrome :lol:

How fickle we are. :lol:

Flux Convoy wrote:I have reasons, I have no delusion that they're good ones though. Don't get me wrong, I adore rub symbols. For characters who never had rub symbols anywhere though, not so much. I'd rather have a faction symbol for Grapple, Jazz and so on. Tracks, I get. He had a rub symbol on his car roof/robot chest. For the original G1 mini-guys getting homages, rub symbols make perfect sense for any of those to me. They hit that sweet spot in the marketing for them originally where you could have gotten either. Each is a case by case basis though and I'm fickle (mostly just ridiculous) sometimes.

It's cool, I have my own reasons for things too. For example, I'm not getting HFTD Terradive...even though it's a pretty great-looking mold, I don't like the head. Tomahawk looks really good, but has no recognizable G1 homage, so do I get him? Do I not? I DON'T KNOW! And then I got Henkei Ironhide mostly because I hated the Universe version's blue face, even though the overall color scheme was better IMO...etc, etc. I get you. :lol: Totally makes sense about the rubsigns though, thinking about it that way.
Old collection pics
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+

Postby Sky-Quake » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 am

Motto: "I'll rip out your optics"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
I'll be getting the hasbro version the yellow head makes him look to much like an overly big Bumblebee that changs into a crane vehicle instead of a small car
I am in need of another missle for my energon Starscram and a wing for my Armada Terrorsaur the one with his name on it if anyone has spares of these items that they don't need please PM me
Sky-Quake
Fuzor
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Lapse Of Reason » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:54 am

Weapon: Sword
At equal price points I'd go with the Takara, however I'll let money decide and go with Hasbro. It is really a minor variance and I could honestly be happy with either version.
Lapse Of Reason
Gestalt
News Credits: 10
Buy from Lapse Of Reason on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: ???
Skill: 10+

Postby Dai_Ceefax » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 am

Motto: ""A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim.""
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
Hasbro Grapple'll look better next to my Universe Inferno. Done.

United Lugnut is mine though...
Looking for:
Guardian Powered
Cybertron Backblast
BWII/Telemocha Jointrons esp. BWII DJ
PM me if you can help!
Dai_Ceefax
Minibot
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby SnapTrap » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 pm

While I do like the colors of the Henkei Grapple figure, I don't see the value of importing it when I can get the US one locally and for less.
SnapTrap
Targetmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Prime Evil » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
kirbenvost wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:I have reasons, I have no delusion that they're good ones though. Don't get me wrong, I adore rub symbols. For characters who never had rub symbols anywhere though, not so much. I'd rather have a faction symbol for Grapple, Jazz and so on. Tracks, I get. He had a rub symbol on his car roof/robot chest. For the original G1 mini-guys getting homages, rub symbols make perfect sense for any of those to me. They hit that sweet spot in the marketing for them originally where you could have gotten either. Each is a case by case basis though and I'm fickle (mostly just ridiculous) sometimes.

It's cool, I have my own reasons for things too. For example, I'm not getting HFTD Terradive...even though it's a pretty great-looking mold, I don't like the head. Tomahawk looks really good, but has no recognizable G1 homage, so do I get him? Do I not? I DON'T KNOW! And then I got Henkei Ironhide mostly because I hated the Universe version's blue face, even though the overall color scheme was better IMO...etc, etc. I get you. :lol: Totally makes sense about the rubsigns though, thinking about it that way.

I know what you both mean. Each person has a reason completely different from why collect the figures we do. Most of the past toys, I would have sided with Henkei over Classics, but it's getting close now whereas I will now like some Hasbro stuff over Japan. Definitely not the norm for me. With Grapple, I'd rather go with the United version, but price dictates Hasbro and it's not even that big of a difference to me. United Lugnut on the other hand is getting bought over Hasbro Lugnut.

As for Tomahawk and Terradive...again, I know where you are coming from. Characters like those are new and I try to find ways to include them in my universe collection. I'm just glad they have new original names so I won't have to think up something. :D
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Doctor McGrath » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Motto: "This is quick but not quite painless.."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
I like the fact that they went for the cartoon accuracy but I do like the black head better on this mold. When I pick this guy up I may have to break down and get the gears of war set for my inferno.
El Duque wrote:Quite a firestorm I started here :michaelbay:
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from Doctor McGrath on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby DevastaTTor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Will probably just buy the US version and paint the hook. I'm no customizing expert, but I think I can handle that.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Postby Swiftpaw » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Personally I prefer Hasbro's version. The orange head blends too much into the orange body, the black one stands out.

I wonder if the arm remolding will prevent the 'hand-nozzle' piece for the Gear of War set from fitting Grapple. I don't use it on Inferno because I have a fire-ax for him to hold.
Recent Aquisitions:
RTS Special Ops Jazz
RTS Wreck-Gar
FP Warbot Defender
Generations Blurr
Swiftpaw
Vehicon

Postby goshjosh95 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 am

Motto: "Amazing! A boobie trap that actually catches boobies. [Optimus Prime]"
GuyIncognito wrote:
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Never understood the 'cartoon accuracy' on stuff like this when in a lot of the cases the toys looked much better (ok I'm not including the Ratchet and Ironhide, almost typed Clank there, toys though I never cared for their cartoon selves either) and the cartoon was notorious for errors. The black head looks a lot better but this figure overall looks very poor anyways. That original G1 toy looks far better, if only it were more articulated.

I totally agree! With more recent series, like Animated, I can understand wanting cartoon accuracy. But when it comes to G1, the toys came first, and the cartoons were created to serve the toys. If there's a difference, it's the cartoon that was incorrectly colored. So if I'm going to buy a toy that's an homage to a G1 toy, I want the homage to match the original toy, not the inaccurate adver-cartoon.

You both bring up good points. I guess it depends on how you feel about the cartoon. For me, I loved the toon A LOT growing up; I couldn't wait to get home from school to watch. So as a kid, I always wondered: Why don't my toys look like the characters in the cartoon? For some ppl, having cartoon accuracy in the TakTom Henkei & United lines has been everything they had hoped/wished for as a kid. Although, I can understand why some ppl prefer G1 toy-accurate colors. Maybe it depends on one's selective memory/nostalgia? I always remembered Grapple as having a yellow head (& completely forgot about the inconsistencies in animation). My $0.02 ;)

I'm disappointed United Seaspray isn't getting more G1 toon/toy paint apps for his bot mode (I know they tried with that bright orangey-yellow), but I can understand why... probably would look weird in alt-mode. Guess I'll stick to HFTD Seaspray.
:CON: "Decepticons, transform and rise up!"

My feedback thread: http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/goshjosh95-t65587.php
goshjosh95
Vehicon
News Credits: 2

Postby Atomatron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Motto: "looking for: Machine Robo Rescue: Blue Sirens - MRR Gyro 05, help me out anyone please!"
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
4 pages discussing grapple (now 5, oh the irony)? queue jim mora voice: grapple? grapple?

Hasbro will do for this character thank you. Jazz and maybe even Tracks may need the TAK
Atomatron
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby Jazz-1982 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:02 am

I like both versions but I'm ordering the Transformers United version. The price is more expensive than Hasbro's but plus shipping it's works out the same because I can get free shipping from Amazon.co.jp.

I can't wait until January, February, March and April next year - it's going to be so cool having 2 or 3 awesome new classics/generations/united figures to look forward to at the end of each month!! :KREMZEEK:
Formerly known as the Tokyo-Matrix.
Jazz-1982
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby feeiq90 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Motto: "pew peww peeww~~"
Weapon: Destabilizer Electromagnetizer Gun
i realy love the mold,i really2 do...but 1 thing that disappoint me is that grapple's(and inferno's) head does not have the 'boxy-thingy' to make it more toon-accurate..
feeiq90
Minibot
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10+

Previous

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Class 2013 NEW"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS PREVIEW 2nd ptg Optimus Prime var Dreamwave Comics 2002 G1 (CA) Lee"
TRANSFORMERS PREVI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 1 2019 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Gamer Edition +01 Deluxe WFC 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Nitro Series OPTIMUS PRIME Energon Igniters Transformers Bumblebee Hasbro NEW"
Nitro Series OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Mega Axe Attack OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Warrior 2021"
Mega Axe Attack OP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015 Hyper Change 3-Step 220512A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures WZK73955 WizKids NECA 2020"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Block Wars BUMBLEBEE Kabaya Modern Gum Transformers Takara Tomy Japan 2016"
Block Wars BUMBLEB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYBERTRONIAN BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark Moon Cyberverse Legion DOTM TRU 2011"
CYBERTRONIAN BUMBL ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition "Year of the Goat" Exclusive Masterpiece Soundwave by Hasbro" on AMAZON