This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Michael Bay Speaks: Why The Marina City Location Was Cut From Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Michael Bay Speaks: Why The Marina City Location Was Cut From Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Postby RodimusConvoy13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:55 am

Motto: "Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards! That's MY policy!"
Weapon: Photon Blaster
Over at Shootfortheedit.com, Michael Bay posted his reasoning as to why scenes at Marina City in Chicago were cut from Transformers: The Dark of the Moon before filming. He also explains that Transformers:DOTM is still under budget.

Why did I cut the stunt, because the building wanted a $40,000 location fee. I told my producer we are not paying that - Why? Because I like to stay on budget, and I also don't like to get ripped off. So there's the truth. And yes, we are are still under budget today.

Michael

See the thread here.
"One of them even took the time to smear, “Fans are TeH SUCK!!!” in poop all over my windshield!"

Counterpunch
RodimusConvoy13
Gestalt
News Credits: 194
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: Michael Bay Speaks: Why The Marina City Location Was Cut From Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Postby Swiftknife24 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:25 am

Motto: "With a blade, one gets close, personal and feels the kill."
Weapon: Diffraction Sword
Good on him; under budget and knows value for money! Well done that man! :APPLAUSE:

I've been compiling a scale list (largest to smallest) of the Film Transformers based on; vehicle/alternate modes (with the best dimension data possible), as many official charts I could find & most crucially, the figures I actually own & desire! If anyone would like a bit of assistance in scale or would simply like a peek at the list, do say so! ^^

(Also been working on something big; I'm a writer, so that's a clue... ;))
Swiftknife24
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Watch Swiftknife24 on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: Michael Bay Speaks: Why The Marina City Location Was Cut From Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Postby ConBotFormer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I can see where Bay is coming from. I'm glad he didn't pay the $40 grand to film. And I understand being under budget, BUT, here's the thing. I just hope he's not as cheap with TF3 as he was with ROTF.

I maen, ROTF had A LOT of reused footage from the first TransFormers movie and also reused footage from ROTF itself. Used time and time again through the whole movie.

Not to mention the CGI in TF1 was way better then in ROTF.

I'm not Bay bashing here!! I'm just saying I hope TF3 is awesome, not too cheap and stands alone from the other 2 movies.

Can't wait to see it!!!
ConBotFormer
Minibot
News Credits: 2

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
ConBotFormer wrote:I can see where Bay is coming from. I'm glad he didn't pay the $40 grand to film. And I understand being under budget, BUT, here's the thing. I just hope he's not as cheap with TF3 as he was with ROTF.

I maen, ROTF had A LOT of reused footage from the first TransFormers movie and also reused footage from ROTF itself. Used time and time again through the whole movie.

I'm not Bay bashing here!! I'm just saying I hope TF3 is awesome, not too cheap and stands alone from the other 2 movies.

Can't wait to see it!!!

That might have been due to the rush caused by the writer's strike. I don't know for sure though.
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby Cryosis Prime » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 pm

From the DVD goodies on ROTF, they had to cut some scenes right out of the movie - such as a longer end battle with Megatron and the Fallen - because they ended up biting off more then they could chew. Touch-ups were being done up to 30 minutes before the would premiere.
Real Vampires Burn In Sunlight - Say "No" To Twilight!
Cryosis Prime
Mini-Con

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword
ConBotFormer wrote:I can see where Bay is coming from. I'm glad he didn't pay the $40 grand to film. And I understand being under budget, BUT, here's the thing. I just hope he's not as cheap with TF3 as he was with ROTF.

Can't wait to see it!!!

The CG may have looked more realistic in the first one, but I liked the way it looked in ROTF way more! IDK why, I guess they looked like people instead of piles of metal.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

WOW, an entire youtube account just to whine about a movie? Someone need to make some friends or something, damn.
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Haha, definitely a little extreme... buut, as a true fan, I can appreciate his frustration. And hey, theres the proof... ROTF was a steaming pile. Reusing footage?... thats the most disgraceful thing a movie maker can do.
For those just waiting to retaliate, i'm not looking to start a big thing, just thought I'd share since it related to "budget". Its not like i'm not enjoying the parts of good that came out of the movie franchise, like some of the figures, and prolonged TF life on the toy shelves.

BUT STILL!

:CON:
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."

Really? Get a got damn f*cking life. And this is coming from a kid who has no life. If you don't like the movie, fine, but don't go posting f*cking bullshit about it. God, I hate humanity.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:35 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:

Really? Get a got damn f*cking life. And this is coming from a kid who has no life. If you don't like the movie, fine, but don't go posting f*cking bullshit about it. God, I hate humanity.

sooo..if you don't have a life, why are you saying other needs to get one?... I don't understand. Your just invalidated yourself... Making anything you said afterwards worthless. Its all opinion, don't get so pissed off, kid. I personally didn't like the movies except for the robot fight scenes, and even then I feel the characters were betrayed (and hard as hell to make them out coz of the excess of geometry). I'll take the comics and War for Cybertron over the movie in every way possible as an entertainment piece, but yea, just coz I wanted to share some reasons why I thought ROTF sucked doesn't mean you gota flip out... so childish.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

sooo..if you don't have a life, why are you saying other needs to get one?... I don't understand. Your just invalidated yourself... Making anything you said afterwards worthless.

I don't give a ****. Every time I turn on my damn computer screen or my TV or go out in public, it's the same bullshit second after second! Why can't people just damn leave things alone, and stop bringing dumb ass **** up every damn chance they get! Leave the **** alone! If you don't like it, LEAVE! Damn, WTF is so hard about the concept of simply saying you don't like it and moving on?
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:43 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

sooo..if you don't have a life, why are you saying other needs to get one?... I don't understand. Your just invalidated yourself... Making anything you said afterwards worthless.

I don't give a ****. Every time I turn on my damn computer screen or my TV or go out in public, it's the same bullshit second after second! Why can't people just damn leave things alone, and stop bringing dumb ass **** up every damn chance they get! Leave the **** alone! If you don't like it, LEAVE! Damn, WTF is so hard about the concept of simply saying you don't like it and moving on?

Same reasons why people decide to keep discussing things they like, its related to the news, and is currently an ongoing event. Learn to not be a little bitch. Sorry mods, he is being a bitch, haha.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby Megatronsdemise666 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle

Can't wait to see it!!!

uhm i understand the reused footage of the unmanned air craft.
it cost alot for the Air Force to put jets into the air and pay for fuel

but i dont see any more footage take from the first movie but that
and what footage was reused from rotf for rotf?

i dont care about the CGI as long as it looks nice.

i just hope that the "jokes" would stay out
:CON: :CON: :CON:
Megatronsdemise666
Fuzor
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8
Courage: 5
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Megatronsdemise666 wrote:

Can't wait to see it!!!

uhm i understand the reused footage of the unmanned air craft.
it cost alot for the Air Force to put jets into the air and pay for fuel

but i dont see any more footage take from the first movie but that
and what footage was reused from rotf for rotf?

i dont care about the CGI as long as it looks nice.

i just hope that the "jokes" would stay out
:CON: :CON: :CON:

Check the links I posted.
I don't think theres any excuse to reuse footage, you can always find a better way to unfold the story (not that I really care that much, especially if I had liked the movie). Do we really need to see an unmanned drone? theres a ton of footage to show off america's surplus, more than necessary considering you could show more robot action. Plus, you could just do it wth CG if its too expensive to do it in real life. Yea, the jokes cheapen the whole thing to a level that doesn't allow the fans to appreciate a "realism" of a Transformers live action movie. Missed potential.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

I know what you mean, the trolling of the movie has reached levels I've never seen. George W. Bush didn't get this much criticism. It's like you can't discuss any movie without someone trashing RotF out of nowhere.

Guy A: "what did you think of Inception?"
Guy B: "it was pretty good, kinda hard to follow though"
Guy C: "TRANSFORMERS 2 WAS THE WORST PIECE OF **** IN HISTORY!!!!! MICHAEL BAY SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE!!!!"

I don't understand how people are still in such a frenzy over it 17 months after it came out. Holding on to hatred this long, especially an insignificant movie can't be healthy. Find something constructive to do with your time instead of digging up more little nitpicky things to complain about.
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:23 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
MINDVVIPE wrote:sooo..if you don't have a life, why are you saying other needs to get one?... I don't understand. Your just invalidated yourself... Making anything you said afterwards worthless. Its all opinion, don't get so pissed off, kid. I personally didn't like the movies except for the robot fight scenes, and even then I feel the characters were betrayed (and hard as hell to make them out coz of the excess of geometry). I'll take the comics and War for Cybertron over the movie in every way possible as an entertainment piece, but yea, just coz I wanted to share some reasons why I thought ROTF sucked doesn't mean you gota flip out... so childish.

I'll take the movies over War for Cybertron easily. WfC was the most excruciatingly tedious piece of Transformers related 'entertainment' I've had to endure in years. And you find the cgi in the movies hard to make out? I could barely tell what's what in WfC due to the ugly graphics, mostly lousy TF designs and poor choice of lighting technique that often made things look like vague outlines in darkness. I seem to have finished the story mode more out of chance and trophy addiction (though I'd rather go without video games forever than play the game any more to get the platinum). Cool, it's fun to have a say.

'betrayed'... what the hell does that even mean here? Any worse than the 1986 movie killing off so many characters in one go for nothing more than to introduce new toys for kids to nag their parents for?
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
*grabs popcorn and sits back, watching all the mindless fighting about a length of celluloid.*
Last edited by Rodimus Prime on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 am

I play WFC on the PC, the graphics are sharp and the designs are WAAAAYYYY more transformers than Bay's designs that are pretty much the obvious extreme attempt to make it look as crazy as possible... its pretty poor design all around. WFC story is pretty much just pre G1 story, and a decent take at it since it treats the subject matter with respect to the characters, but whatever, i'm not going to argue, your already mind set. The animated movie had characters killed off, and you know what I say? GREAT. It atleast adds a seriousness to the war, like in real life, when people you know die. Plus they could have had their sparks brought back online later on like any number of times it has been seen in TF history.
Michael Bay ass raped TF lore. period.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
MINDVVIPE wrote:Michael Bay ass raped TF lore. period.

You call others "childish" and "bitch" and then you say stuff like that? Don't get me wrong, the movieverse fell way short, but no need to rip your hair out over it. Or insult people like that. IT'S A MOVIE. "Hello, McFly, hello?!"

And if anyone is to be blamed for RoTF it's Orci and Kurtzman, not Bay.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 am

Rodimus Prime wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:Michael Bay ass raped TF lore. period.

You call others "childish" and "bitch" and then you say stuff like that? Don't get me wrong, the movieverse fell way short, but no need to rip your hair out over it. Or insult people like that. IT'S A MOVIE. "Hello, McFly, hello?!"

And if anyone is to be blamed for RoTF it's Orci and Kurtzman, not Bay.

What? saying Michael Bay performed anal sex as an analogy to describe the extent I feel he abused his license to create isn't apt enough for you? its a little colour added in, definitely not angry over this at all, I keep getting attacked actually, haha... so lame. Yes, maybe Bay isn't the only one to blame, but from what i've read and heard, he didn't much like G1 Transformers at all... not saying I love it, but I definitely know the roots in all this, and what core elemenets made TF awesome.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:55 am

SlyTF1 wrote:

First attack on me, just so we're clear where this started.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:I play WFC on the PC, the graphics are sharp and the designs are WAAAAYYYY more transformers than Bay's designs that are pretty much the obvious extreme attempt to make it look as crazy as possible... its pretty poor design all around. WFC story is pretty much just pre G1 story, and a decent take at it since it treats the subject matter with respect to the characters, but whatever, i'm not going to argue, your already mind set. The animated movie had characters killed off, and you know what I say? GREAT. It atleast adds a seriousness to the war, like in real life, when people you know die. Plus they could have had their sparks brought back online later on like any number of times it has been seen in TF history.
Michael Bay ass raped TF lore. period.

Wait, so the G1 movie was more realistic because characters died, but then could be brought back? That doesn't make any sense. For one the movies did the exact same thing. For another, coming back from the dead is impossible in real life. I don't know how Bay "ass raped" TF lore as you put it, especially since your biggest problem is with the way they look. You seem to be hung up on G1, the movies are a new continuity just like every series after Beast Machines. Did all of them "ass rape" Transformers too?
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt

Postby SlyTF1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Evil_the_Nub wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

I know what you mean, the trolling of the movie has reached levels I've never seen. George W. Bush didn't get this much criticism. It's like you can't discuss any movie without someone trashing RotF out of nowhere.

Guy A: "what did you think of Inception?"
Guy B: "it was pretty good, kinda hard to follow though"
Guy C: "TRANSFORMERS 2 WAS THE WORST PIECE OF **** IN HISTORY!!!!! MICHAEL BAY SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE!!!!"

I don't understand how people are still in such a frenzy over it 17 months after it came out. Holding on to hatred this long, especially an insignificant movie can't be healthy. Find something constructive to do with your time instead of digging up more little nitpicky things to complain about.

This is exactly what I was "bitching" about. Every time I turn on my TV or computer, I'm bombarded with this incoherent bullshit every time.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Whatever guys, I don't care anymore, clearly this isn't a fair match of wits (you pretty much tottaly missed my points, so...)

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1123IM342 4A (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #4 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr C Laughter Image Comics 2023 1123IM810 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 RE IDW Comics 2007 1RE Brian's Toys 230323"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUL210493 35A (CA) Samu (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REGENERATION ONE #86 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 86RI (CA) Senior 230207"
Transformers REGEN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Legends & Rumors 100-Page Giant IDW Comics 2021 231222C"
TRANSFORMERS '84 L ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 3B 0124IM239 (CA) Azaceta"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP210478 10A (CA) Malkova"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 4A GI JOE 0124IM247 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #1 2nd ptg IDW Comics 2012 (CA) Griffith"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #20 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010V"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WAR'S END #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 DEC210547 1B (CA) Lawrence"
Transformers WAR'S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM821 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #4 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Texeira (W) Salicrup 230915N"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy and Blowpipe" on AMAZON