This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot vid review on YouTube

Do you love your new Hercules set? Can't get enough of FansProject's items? Upset that you bought a knock off when you thought you were getting an original? Use this forum to tell everyone your thoughts about unlicensed and knock off TF products.

Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot vid review on YouTube

Postby Fistful of Energon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePb1oMk53k

kinda wishing the speakers worked here at work so I can hear what the guy is saying
Fistful of Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 3

Re: Xovergen Mecha Warfare Grand Patriot vid review on YouTube

Postby Midnight_Fox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am

Motto: "The Midnight Fox comes in the night,
always in shadow, never in sight."
Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Fistful of Energon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePb1oMk53k

kinda wishing the speakers worked here at work so I can hear what the guy is saying

Kinda wish he'd made the video with sound to begin with.
Midnight_Fox
Godmaster
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby Fistful of Energon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 am

So there isnt sound to begin with? Guess im not missing much then....
Fistful of Energon
Targetmaster

Postby ShardFenix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm

yeah pretty crappy video overall. Its not really a review either. No size comparions or articulation points were even shown. And either the toy is really tight or the guy in the fideo is really weak. I dont think i have evr struggled like he did pulling and pushin plastic toy pieces.
ShardFenix
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 1

Postby Fistful of Energon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Now that I know there isnt audio I gotta agree w/ you. Its a crap video, hardly a review. Maybe if I have time Ill do a proper one on YouTube and post it.
Fistful of Energon
Targetmaster

Postby Midnight_Fox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Motto: "The Midnight Fox comes in the night,
always in shadow, never in sight."
ShardFenix wrote:yeah pretty crappy video overall. Its not really a review either. No size comparions or articulation points were even shown. And either the toy is really tight or the guy in the fideo is really weak. I dont think i have evr struggled like he did pulling and pushin plastic toy pieces.

The figure is REALLY tight, especially where the chest folds down. If you get it, be careful and go slow with that part.
Midnight_Fox
Godmaster
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby ShardFenix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:47 pm

I trying to decide which figure i want. The red and blue is nice, but i kinda want the all green. It can be springer prime...lol
ShardFenix
Headmaster Jr

Postby LOST Cybertronian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Motto: "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was...beautiful"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Better review but the sound is low so you have to turn your speaker up.

-Kanrabat- wrote:YEah, too many Transformers are in a serious need of a good rim job.

Blast Cannon wrote:This thread is brilliant. Duragrip you are a gloriously weird sexual deviant and I love it.
LOST Cybertronian
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1235
Buy from LOST Cybertronian on eBay

Postby LOST Cybertronian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Motto: "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was...beautiful"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Word of warning that the sound does jump at 12:58 so be prepared.
-Kanrabat- wrote:YEah, too many Transformers are in a serious need of a good rim job.

Blast Cannon wrote:This thread is brilliant. Duragrip you are a gloriously weird sexual deviant and I love it.
LOST Cybertronian
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1235
Buy from LOST Cybertronian on eBay

Postby El Duque » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
I'm really starting to regret buying these, but they are already paid for and on the way. Oh well, anybody want to buy my Red and Blue version?

I guess some of the issues people are having with the transformation is why they posted this on their homepage.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Doctor McGrath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Motto: "This is quick but not quite painless.."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
They should have started with a slightly smaller/easier first product. This could have been awesome. Unfortunately, it's not.
El Duque wrote:Quite a firestorm I started here :michaelbay:
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from Doctor McGrath on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Court Jester » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, I'll have the triple failburger with extra fail... hold the awesomesauce.
Court Jester

Postby MGrotusque » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:18 am

I like primes hand guns at least.

That speaker looking plate on his chest sure had me fooled though. I thought for sure there were some sound effects with this figure.
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9

Postby ShardFenix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:49 am

well im pretty glad i wait for reviews before i ever buy stuff. this one just saved me 70.00 dollars. guess its time to buy the FP Powered Commander for my prime.
ShardFenix
Headmaster Jr

Postby Seibertron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Not sure what to say about these figures. I'm in the middle of doing galleries of these Grand Patriot figures right now. I have the same problems with my figures. The back piece in the trailer mode doesn't stay together because it's missing the screws. The middle piece that connects the torso to his waist shattered on my green one while doing the transformation which renders this image from their website untrue.

I rigged it together with an extra screw and a tab from an air can. I glued the back trailer pieces together and got a couple of extra screws to keep the trailer connector in place. I'm sorry to say that I would not recommend these figures unless you've got money to blow and don't mind having figures that you will NEED to modify upon receiving them.

While I agree with the video reviewers closing statements about these being toys and not collectible items, I disagree about waiting for these to go on sale for $40. I don't know about you guys, but I like that the things that I spend my money on last for years and years. The green one broke during the transformation thanks to the fragile white plastic. I think it's safe to say that I know how to transform transforming robot toys since I own about 3,500+ Transformers. It's also missing about a half dozen screws on each figure and it just feels cheap. Wait until these are a clearance blowout at $10 if you're still curious about these figures after the reviews.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby MINDVVIPE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 am

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal
thats what you get for loving primes too much. He turns around and shafts ya.
:CON:
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Autobot032 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 am

Wow. The review just amazes me. And, now that I hear that Ryan's had problems with his, I'm definitely against buying these.

I wasn't all that interested to begin with, honestly, but now? I wouldn't take 'em for free as a gift.

When an $80.00 figure breaks because it's nothing more than a glorified toy and makes Hasbro's work seem like a work of art...PASS.

What a piss off product.

EDIT: Be careful connecting to Xovergen's website. McAfee's Site Advisor went red and stated that connecting to their site would lead to browser corruption or something close to that.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Vicalliose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:24 am

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
Aw, To bad. Looks like the biz might just kill this little up and coming fan company.

You know, It's not like I'll ever be able to do it or anything. But at least I've seen some stuff that seems to work. These guys kinda broke away from all of these.

1: Release one figure at a time! Save repaints for later when you have the resources.

2: Spend more time designing the thing. You need to make a figure more complex and visually appealing if your going to expect us to buy it. I personally liked Don Fig's designs, but these are pretty ugly.

3: Go the extra mile and choose quality plastic, even if you have to raise the price a little. People don't like things that break, it's not hard to figure out. Also skip translucent plastic whenever possible as it can add quite a bit to the costs.

4: Think small. On your first try at a figure, anything above deluxe and your getting quite out of your depth. Legends/scouts are the way to start.

5: Listen to your fans. Your part of the collectors market, so the people on these sites are the vary people that make up your bottom line. Even so, mixing things up a little could be the way to keep us interested.

Again. This is just what little I've seen that works. I really know nothing about business. :-?

Autobot032 wrote:EDIT: Be careful connecting to Xovergen's website. McAfee's Site Advisor went red and stated that connecting to their site would lead to browser corruption or something close to that.
Well ain't that the icing on the cake. :roll:
Last edited by Vicalliose on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Postby Seibertron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I figured out what the problem was with the wheel/backpack thing that wouldn't transform correctly. The piece that attaches the wheel/backpack thing to lower back of the Prime robot mode is assembled incorrectly ... it's upside down! I unscrewed the white connector, flipped the connector piece around, and now it transforms correctly and pegs into his shoulder blade areas properly.

Now that I have the green one transformed correctly, I see yet another problem. The left knee guard piece that flips up in robot mode has severe stress on it ... it looks like it's about ready to break the next time I transform it. Joy.

For the record and for the sake of being 100% up front with all of you, I received these as "review" toys from Xovergen. I did not pay for these. I feel guilty about having to be so blunt about the problems with these toys when they have been so kind and generous with sending me these items to photograph to share with all of you and for express shipping them to me, but I cannot in good conscience just take pictures of these figures and not openly discuss the problems with these toys.

While people did a lot of bitching about the Impossible Toys Arcee / Paradron Medic toys, I did not have a single problem with them breaking, missing pieces/screws, or being assembled incorrectly. I would rank the Impossible Toys Arcee mold higher than this figure at this time.

In Xovergen's defense, however, I will say that these figures are the closest 3rd party toy to the look and feel of an actual Hasbro/Takara Tomy Transformer toy (which might lead some of you to think this sentence conflicts with my comparison in previous paragraph). They've got transparent windows in vehicle mode, which Warbot did not have, they've got light piping which I love and most 3rd party products are missing, they've got little paint details that have Hasbro written all over them, little flip out weapons, etc. It just feels like it's close to a Hasbro toy despite the problems with the figure. It does feel "cheap" compared to a normal Transformer, but it doesn't feel cheap like the Robot Masters toys you see at Family Dollar and such.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5

Postby Ravage XK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:45 am

Motto: "Are those my feet?"
Weapon: 20 Megavolt Stun Rifle
By todays standards these seem a little basic. Shame because the design they are based on is pretty smart. These just dont appeal to me at all and they wouldnt be out of place in the corner of your local newsagents selling for £9.99 with the other wierd toy lines you have never heard of but are suspiciously similar to well known brands.

TF COUNT: Lost count!
Latest Additions: Haslab Unicron, Siege Jetifre, SS Blitzwing
Ravage XK
Gestalt
News Credits: 15
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 4
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby fenrir72 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
A lot of burn from seibertron himself (reminds me of your other scathing review of 25th anniversary Prime......right on the money). Would you give them an A for effort Ryan?

I blame this all to FansProject. They make a product full of awesomeness sauce that, well, has become such a standard that is waaaaaay hard to overcome.

And based on your analogy, yeah, IT's Valkyrie showed such promise too ( I prefer her car mode over iGears )but it was more or less a miss.

iGears Delicate warrior on the other hand looked too boxy in car mode but had a more sturdy, better design fembot mode (plus light piping).

I wait with baited breath on what next is coming in the pipe-line.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby starboykb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 am

Motto: "Autobots and Decepticons have a common ancestor - ignorance"
Weapon: Automatic Machine Gun
Xovergen definitely going to suffer sales from how bad their products are. i am lucky didn't pre-order the Green prime from RK. Well, let's see what Xovergen going to react on this.
starboykb
Mini-Con
Buy from starboykb on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Blackstreak » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:48 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
The sound didn't jump around as much as the comments led me to believe. I only heard the volume lose out towards the end.

When I first heard of these my initial thought was where is the premise for these figures? I don't remember there being a comic or cartoon that a 3rd party company would produce these. Knight Morpher has a basis because of the DW comic series. But these Grand Patriots seem to pop up randomly. For this reason I had no intention of picking up a set. I have enough Optimus Primes as it is w/out there being yet one more Optimus Prime for the collection. If I were to buy one it would be the green Green Patriot. But after seeing how loose the parts are I won't entertain a second guessing.

I will hand it to the company. They have a good idea w/ some very interesting concepts for the armaments. I can see potential for the different setups in vehicle whether as a semi w/ trailer or as a military missile launcher. But these variant alt-mode formations aren't enough for me to buy these. Perhaps on future releases when improvements have been made.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9

Postby DevastaTTor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 am

Wow, feel like I dodged a bullet here-was about to get these for my birthday. Me thinks I'll get a few United figures instead. It's a shame too; they looked promising.

I will add that this is the kind of thing that scares me about TFClub's Devastator. It looks awesome but they have no track record that I'm aware of for producing stand alone figures and they're creating perhaps the most complex and expensive gestalt to date. That scares me considering I had to resolder the connections in my Prime gun from their Gear of War 2 set.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Postby Sodan-1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 am

Motto: "Motive is a universal weakness."
Blackstreak wrote:When I first heard of these my initial thought was where is the premise for these figures? I don't remember there being a comic or cartoon that a 3rd party company would produce these. Knight Morpher has a basis because of the DW comic series. But these Grand Patriots seem to pop up randomly....

.....I will hand it to the company. They have a good idea w/ some very interesting concepts for the armaments.

These figures were based on an unused piece of concept art by Don Figueroa that saw him cross Optimus Prime with G.I. Joe's Rolling Thunder. It was a great idea and the drawings were epic, but this figure falls far short of matching them aesthetically.

I don't own this figure, and after that review I have no intentions of ever owning it. It strikes me that Xovergen decided to mass produce their first prototype without an ounce of product development. Did anyone else notice the photo at the bottom of Xovergen's website, the one of the green version with the cannon turret on the rear? It's position suggests Xovergen struggled to keep the turret upright as well.

Such a wasted opportunity.
Sodan-1
Gestalt

Next

Return to Unlicensed and KO Transformers Toys

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #407 Facsimile DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC216 (CA) Mazzucchelli"
BATMAN #407 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #13 Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230859 (CA) Bartel (W) Rowell (A) Genolet"
SHE-HULK #13 Marve ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #26 2nd ptg Marvel Comics 2023 APR238100 (CA) Andrews"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #134 Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0223DC042 134A (W) Zdarsky (CA) Jimenez"
BATMAN #134 Cvr A ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLACK PANTHER #5 var Spider-Man Marvel Comics 2022 FEB220989 (CA) Bosslogic"
BLACK PANTHER #5 v ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #15 var 1:10 Marvel Comics 2022 OCT220764 (A/CA) McGuinness"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #3 Cvr E DC Comics 2023 0223DC023 3E (W) Williamson (CA) Mercer + Miki"
SUPERMAN #3 Cvr E ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #3 Cvr H 1:50 DC Comics 2023 0223DC026 3H (W) Williamson (CA) Kolins"
SUPERMAN #3 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1069 Cvr C DC Comics 2023 DEC222972 1069C (CA) Reis"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #21 var Stormbreakers Marvel Comics JAN230808 (CA) Bazaldua"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #402 Marvel Comics 1993 (W) David (A) Duursema + Farmer 200610A"
INCREDIBLE HULK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #58 2nd ptg Marvel Comics 2021 DEC209011 (A/CA) Bagley"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #26 var Spoiler Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230737 (CA) Frank"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #4 var Timeless Marvel Comics JAN230865 (CA) Ross"
MILES MORALES SPID ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alchemist Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 05 Voyager Class Movie 2 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON