This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby El Duque » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Comic book scribe Simon Furman has expressed an interest in picking up where Marvel's G1 Comic left off. The subject came up in a Q&A session that Furman has posted to his blog:

The GI Joe fans are thrilled that Hama has continued the original ARAH continuity and that has sparked some of us here to ask Andy if the same could be done for TF’s. Have you given any thought to continuing the original TF continuity from the Marvel run? And an even better question is, are you even interested in going down that road?

SF) I actually would like to pick up the baton from Marvel issue #80 and run with it again. There was a lot we never got to do, that I’d like to revisit or just to take the next big steps with all that we’d set up in the previous 20 or so issues. I’d certainly rather do G1 #81 than G2 #13, as, strangely, and for no good reason I can formulate into words, I think the time has passed for G2. It was very, well… 90s.

Posters over at the IDW Publishing Forums are trying to garner support. Would you be interested is seeing the series revisited? Discuss it here.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
I actually do enjoy ARAH over the other Joe books out there at the moment, so yeah, i'd like to see them pick up where they left off with TF's.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby El Duque » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm in the process of putting together a complete set of the Marvel run, so I'd be interested as well.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper

Postby zodconvoy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"
BUT THAT WOULD DEVALUE THE 2007 "GAMES OF DECEPTION" BOTCON COMIC!!! I MUST START AN INTERNET PETITION AND EVERY TRUE FAN WILL RALLY TO MY SIDE!!!

Just kidding. All of you guys who've heard of the one about Generations Thundercracker know what I'm talking about...

Personally, I would love this!
Now for Sale!

NOW ON eBAY:

Visit My Store!
zodconvoy
City Commander
News Credits: 5
Buy from zodconvoy on eBay

Postby Diem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm an army of one here but I would rather not see interesting characters being killed off left right and centre while Grimlock survives to show off how "badass" he is. I totally admire Furman's talent but I find his content abhorrent.
Diem
City Commander
News Credits: 217

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Wait a sec... what was the last issue about? And no, don't say it was 22 pages or anything like that. :p
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Diem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:11 pm

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Wait a sec... what was the last issue about? And no, don't say it was 22 pages or anything like that. :p

Grimlock screws up, Decepticons massacre Autobots, Optimus Prime comes back to life (again), Last Autobot resurrects Autobots (though presumably not Nebulan partners), Decepticons run away and live to fight another day, Cybertron deus ex machinas back into existence.
Diem
City Commander

Postby flashmech » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

I would like to see them pick up where Marvel left off. I like the G.I. Joe ARAH series as it's being done now, and it would be interesting to see a Transformers series taking up from issue 80 of the Marvel series.
flashmech
Micromaster

Postby Seibertron » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I would be 100% for this IF they could stay true to the overall spirit of the old school Marvel comics. This would make me a very happy fan as long as characters we all know and love aren't killed off for the sake of killing them off.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Supreme Convoy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd totally pick that up! I wouldn't mind if it's called #81 but if it picks up from G2 with Liege Maximo, that would be gravy. I know he did a prose story but it could be cool to have it as a sequential comic as well.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby Solrac333 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Now if they did this for the G1 cartoon. :grin: :grin: :grin: (with no CG or crappy big chinned designs)
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 am

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
It really can't be any worse than Larry Hama, honestly his G.I. Joe is like Days of Our Lives with guns & ninjas.

Maybe we could leverage a completion of War Within v3 as well…?
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10

Postby Starscream GaGa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 am

Motto: ""I'm a free Decepti-bitch, baby!""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
For frack's sake, let it die. It deserves to.
Starscream GaGa
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Skill: 7

Postby ausbot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 am

Motto: "Don't want none, don't start none!"
Weapon: Battle Blades
This must happen!
ausbot
Pretender
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 5
Skill: 5

Postby JaffleMaker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 am

This would be the only current TF comic i would buy if it were to occur. Marvel has and always will be my favourite adaption and there are far too many adaptions floating around that i have given up buying new comics. If this were to happen I would be more than happy picking up where everything left off.... a possible re-write of the last few rushed issues or a few issues to fill the gaps in the story wouldnt hurt either :)
JaffleMaker
Micromaster

Postby Sentinel Maximus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 am

Motto: ""The paltry armies of the universe are but play things to me.""
Weapon: Dual Photon Launchers
I would love to see the Marvel continuity again! :grin:

Hmmm,...would Furman do the same for the DreamWave continuity? Im guessing no :P
Thats a pipe dream
Sentinel Maximus
Minibot
Buy from Sentinel Maximus on eBay
Intelligence: 10+
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:02 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Oh. Hell. Yeah!

Furman's share of the G1 Marvel comic (issues 56-80) are my favorite Transformers series, cartoon or comic, and they have THE BEST character development, PERIOD. I really liked the G2 stuff as well, but the G1 stories were the greatest. I'm all for this.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Bumblevivisector » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:10 am

Well, it'd be a better read than most of IDW's TF ongoing.

In an interview for the FunPub TF zine a few years back, Furman outlined what he'd have done with the Marvel storyline for the next couple years or so if it hadn't been canned, and it sounded awesome, even giving a plausible reason for Autobots becoming Action Masters, at least for a while. Furman could have even turned one of the comic's greatest weaknesses into a strength by utilizing the dozens of toy characters who'd been crammed in over the years but never had room to do anything. However, I have to agree with whoever said they were tired of classic characters being bumped off nonchalantly, as what he had in mind for Slag just sounded depressing.

Regardless, I'd love to see it done as a matter of principle: TF was on the verge of proving that a toy-comic could have a strong enough story to outlive its toyline, something that I believe had happened just once before with 'ROM: Spaceknight' (or does 'Micronauts' count too?). It seemed like DeFalco and Co. just axed it because a book about toy robots was too kiddie-ish for what they wanted Marvel to be in the coming decade (its sales weren't THAT bad, right?), which I could almost accept if they hadn't green-lit crap like 'NFL Superpro' as being perfectly acceptable at the same time. Indeed, the logic of '90s pop culture just plain sucked.

Nonetheless, I'd actually love to see him do TFG2 #13 after doing G1 up to #100, or wherever he wanted to stop. That book already splintered off the Joe book in an irreconcilable direction after its crossover to rebuild Megatron, and it's not clear where Earthforce fits in between the established G1 and G2 books anyway, so who cares if a G1 continuation would make the G2 book irreconcilable by the time he got around to it? I felt so abandoned when G2 ended that I'm still always doing kitbashes of Cybertronian-Army guys to flesh out that poor, neglected faction that never got a single toy.

And with so many CHUGUR toys based off IDW redesigns since Universe 2.0, a continued G2 could finally mean getting an honest to Primus toy of Jhiaxus! Do 'em both, Si! And Age of Wrath!
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby Black Bumblebee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:19 am

G2, for me, is finished as Furman wrote a novel called Alignment that completed the story. And, believe it or not, he was perfectly okay with killing off Grimlock in that. He probably got out everything he wanted to say in it, there and then.

But Marvel G1 would be something I would be interested in seeing continued, if only to revisit old friends in the way that I originally remembered them.
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
Black Bumblebee
Pretender
News Credits: 2
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Postby Cyberstrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
NO.
HELL NO.
Or if that is too harsh to the crybabies out there how about this:
Been there. Done that.

I don't want another see creator vanity project like Marvel's X-Men Forever, X-Factor Forever, New Mutants Forever and IDW's continuation of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

As far I'm concerned Simon Furman has already proved that he can't write the G1 Transformers worth a damn anymore, and I'm not interested in going backwards, I want to see the franchise go forward with the current ongoing series which is what and where the series needs to go.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 am

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Diem wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Wait a sec... what was the last issue about? And no, don't say it was 22 pages or anything like that. :p

Grimlock screws up, Decepticons massacre Autobots, Optimus Prime comes back to life (again), Last Autobot resurrects Autobots (though presumably not Nebulan partners), Decepticons run away and live to fight another day, Cybertron deus ex machinas back into existence.

Thanks for the answer. :) I could be down with seeing a continuation of this. It'd beat what IDW's turned into, that's for sure!
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby Seibertron » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Bumblevivisector wrote:Regardless, I'd love to see it done as a matter of principle: TF was on the verge of proving that a toy-comic could have a strong enough story to outlive its toyline, something that I believe had happened just once before with 'ROM: Spaceknight' (or does 'Micronauts' count too?). It seemed like DeFalco and Co. just axed it because a book about toy robots was too kiddie-ish for what they wanted Marvel to be in the coming decade (its sales weren't THAT bad, right?), which I could almost accept if they hadn't green-lit crap like 'NFL Superpro' as being perfectly acceptable at the same time. Indeed, the logic of '90s pop culture just plain sucked.

Actually, at the time, Marvel's Transformers was near at the bottom of their list. From what I understand, it was doing around 80,000 to 100,000 books per month (which is very impressive by today's numbers). Hell, if someone told me it was doing 25,000 I'd still be really impressed. However, that was during the heyday of the comic book industry when the top books were selling millions of copies (think Jim Lee's X-Men, Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man, Spawn #1, etc). Transformers was small peanuts back then, but the big dogs now only wish they could maintain the numbers that Transformers was canceled at back then.

Supply and demand is why the last issues of the Marvel Transformers comic book (both US and UK) are worth far more than your average mainstream comic book from around that time.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet

Postby Fortress Rodimus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm

I would love to see this picked up again. Marvel is so my favorite run of TF comics. Man i would be so happy.
Fortress Rodimus
Minibot

Postby Diem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Bumblevivisector wrote: However, I have to agree with whoever said they were tired of classic characters being bumped off nonchalantly, as what he had in mind for Slag just sounded depressing.

Given that Slag got disintegrated and consumed protecting Slingshot in the G2 Comic (Slingshot died anyway, D'oh!) he didn't really get off that easily.
Diem
City Commander

Postby El Duque » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 pm

I wonder what the probability of this actually happening are?
El Duque
Matrix Keeper

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK #8 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 MAR231622 8C (CA) Reis"
STAR TREK #8 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES Phase III #4 Cvr A Dark Horse Comics 2024 4A"
NEW!
Star Wars HIGH REP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr M 1:25 virgin Dynamite Comics JUN230672 2M (CA) Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #9 IDW Comics 2021 AUG210572 (CA) Tolibao"
STAR WARS HIGH REP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr F action figure Dynamite Comics JUN230665 2F (CA)Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR WARS #31 var BHM Marvel Comics 2023 AUG229004 (CA) Manhanni (W) Sacks"
STAR WARS #31 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HIDDEN EMPIRE #3 Marvel Comics 2023 NOV221030 (CA) Siqueira"
Star Wars HIDDEN E ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SCRAPNIK ISLAND #2 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 SEP221709 2RI C"
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars BOUNTY HUNTERS #30 Marvel Comics 2023 NOV220836 (CA) Camuncoli"
Star Wars BOUNTY H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2023 JUN230663 2D (CA) Danino"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #1 Marvel Comics 2022 JAN220997 (CA) Maleev"
Star Wars HAN SOLO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars High Republic THE BLADE #1 var Marvel Comics 2022 SEP221082 (CA)McCrea"
Star Wars High Rep ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Trek MIRROR WAR SISKO #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 APR221581 1A (CA) Prasetya"
Star Trek MIRROR W ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #63 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 MAY231369 63A (CA) Dutreix"
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Vortex(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON