This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby Rodimus Prime » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Cyber Bishop wrote:We know that Megatron was rebuilt by Cobra, so would they just have him show back up and defeat Bludgeon (if they completely skip the G2 storyline)?
Galvatron was just thrown in icy water so he could come back and lead...
So many possibilities.

A lot of things happened from the end of G1 to G2 and that is a big mess to clear up.

What happened to Shockwave? Was he actually killed?
If the G1 story were continued, I think it would have to go straight after #80, and before even the Joe crossover where Megs gets his makeover. Thus, he'd still be in his G1 form. And since it was just he and Starscream in the Joe crossover, IIRC, we could have a whole multi-issue "The Adventures of Megsy and Screamer." :P

Continuing the G1 story would be perfect for this. There were so many things in G2 that needed explaining. It's like there is 80 more issues' worth of material. If they're creative enough.

I hope this happens, Furman's US run is my favorite Transformers series, cartoon or comic.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Re: Transformers 81? Furman Expresses Interest in Picking Where the Marvel Run Left Off

Postby El Duque » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
As you probably already know there has been quite a bit of fan interest in IDW continuing Marvel's original Transformers run ever since the idea was brought up on Simon Furman's blog. Yesterday Newsarama posted an article about the subject with a few more quotes from Furman. Click here to read the full article.

The online petition is located here.

It’s a great feeling to think that there’s this huge groundswell of support for the continuation of a series that is now 20 years old,” Furman wrote via email. “Clearly, we must have been doing something right back then. But my experience with Transformers comics fans, across countless conventions, discussion forums and feedback on my blog, is that they’re just incredibly devoted and loyal to those original stories, storylines and characters.

The closest thing to a public acknowledgement on the petition thus far from IDW was publisher and editor-in-chief Chris Ryall tweeting last week, “If you can get the petition to 10,000 signatures/pre-orders, I'll give you an exclusive cover for issue 81 ...
Last edited by El Duque on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Seibertron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Anyone have the petition link handy? Is this something we should link to?
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby gothsaurus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am

I'd love to see "issue 81" happen... as well as a follow up on the G2 series that was cut short. These would both be definite buys for me... Someone please post the petition link when that happens!
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby Seibertron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
I think it would be awesome to have a timeline divergence, ala the new Star Trek movie, where the course of issue 81 on takes a different route than the Classics route or the G2 route.

Though now that I mention Classics, this could be an amazing opportunity for some of the Classics toys to be worked into the Marvel storyline. Could that work even?

While I love this idea, I hope we're all being honest about what drove the original Marvel run. It was the continual onslaught of toys for 7 years from the same series. Without the push from toys and that continued direction, I'd be concerned about what could happen with that overall storyline that has been "complete" for 20 years. I do think this could be a neat opportunity to introduce characters that were never brought into the American comics such as the Wreckers, the Autobot Triplechangers, the Jumpstarters, Whirl, Roadbuster, the Deluxe Insecticons, the vehicle Pretenders, Slugfest, Overkill, and so on. They could all be introduced over various storylines in a similar fashion to the way the other G1 characters were introduced to us, which could keep the storyline going. Obviously not all of the older characters would work if Furman wanted to stay true to the UK run or even just the late Marvel run, but it could be one of the many ingredients to keep this great recipe going.

Other potential storylines that easily get you to issue #100 ...

Circuit Breaker (could IDW/Hasbro work out something with Marvel?
JB Blackrock
Whatever happened to Sparkplug and Buster Witwicky?
Preventing the path of #67 from unfolding
Returning to/Rebuilding of Cybertron
The Last Autobot
Revisiting the Straxus character (relevant because of Classics toy)
Return to Earth
Bludgeon versus Megatron done right!
Ratchet's "coming of age" after fisticuffs with Starscream
What happened to the Nebulans?
Undoing the effects of Nucleon
Grimlock vs Optimus Prime while Prowl calculates from the sidelines
Just for a fun one-off issue ... return of the Scraplets!
Other human tie-ins ... 10 years later, what happened to those kids that were with Blaster/Sky Lynx?
No more Prime doubting himself! But this should be part of the story! Why is he more sure of his decisions now? What happened?
Psychological problems from Unicron ordeal
Legacy of Emirate Xaaron ... what secret did he leave behind?
Spike Witwicky and Fortress Maximus ... coming to terms!
"Who are the Wreckers?" (ignoring UK continuity) or "Return of the Wreckers!" (acknowledging UK continuity)
Hasbro/IDW buy the rights to DEATH'S HEAD!!!
Working toward or against the Movie storyline

All stories I've thought of for the past twenty years. Would love to see some of these ideas see fruition.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby RiddlerJ » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Aw, hell with it. I'm just gonna get all my toys and do issue 81 the way I think it should be, Yeah :grin:
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby F Prime » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Motto: "math...thrash...Math....Thrash...MATH....THRASH..."
Weapon: No Weapon
gothsaurus wrote:I'd love to see "issue 81" happen... as well as a follow up on the G2 series that was cut short. These would both be definite buys for me... Someone please post the petition link when that happens!

http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor
News Credits: 2

Postby Janus Prime » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 pm

What I would love to see is Bludgeon´s period of leadership after the defeat in Klo. Also, at the start of G2 Grimlock already had some leads on the Cybertronian Empire, right? seeing some of that would be cool.
Janus Prime
Fuzor
News Credits: 1

Postby cybercat » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

No. Sure, I know my anti-Furmanism is notorious but, srsly, have you guys READ Nefarious? o_O

That plotline is wrapped up.

Also, I heard that the major franchise holder (NOT IDW) has NO interest in this happening.

I'd much rather give a younger writer with fresh new ideas *cough cough mowry* the reins, or start a new storyline.

HK, SUBTLE!!!
cybercat
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby Stormer » Thu May 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Motto: "I just want to teleport in, destroy some monsters, damage some property and teleport out."
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Ah, the old days...I remember my very first TF comic was "Into the Smelting Pool" or whatever it was called - starring Blaster. That was a good story. Yup. And, I remember how heartbroken I was when the original series ended. There was so much more potential if it was just given the chance! Fast forward a couple of years later to G2. Loved it. Thought it was the greatest thing since diamond rings. And, when it ended - another dose of heartbreak and wondering where the series would have gone given half a chance...

Remember the art - especially towards the end of G1? Ack! Even then I thought it stunk. The stories made up for it...I doubt that would work today. And, the British TF's? Again, good stories, stinky art. If it wasn't for a great story, I'd never been a fan.

Now...There's a lot of really great art! LSOTW is my favorite EVER! Ongoing has potential...yep, been hanging on. There's glimmers of hope here or there.

As far as potential goes for a continuation of the original G1 run...I still think it's there. Of course, in today's market, I'd think it would have to be a lot darker and a lot more grown up - it can't be too "kiddied" up. I would like the stories to be more about the Transformers than humans. Though I'm not sure how I feel about the comic promoting new characters every month (I also understand the marketing element), I'm also a big proponent of expanding the universe as far as it can go. I'm just not so sure it should be Mr. Furman at the wheel.
Stormer
Vehicon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Cyberstrike » Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
We need some fresh writers for The Transformers comics, I'm sick and tied of Simon Furman and James Roberts (I that TLSotW is good but it's not great by any means and is highly over-rated) being apparently the only 2 guys in the world that "can write" the series.

They shouldn't be the be all and end all of Transformers comic book writers.

I don't want Mike Costa to write the ongoing series until he dies but I like his work because it's new direction that is actually NEW and to me it's far more exciting to have a writer where you don't know where he's going with and that makes him a more dangerous writer because the reader doesn't know what he is going to do with the series and with Furman it's safe, predictable, and really boring.

New writers bring new ideas and fresh perspectives that Furman can't which is what the Transformers comic needs to survive.

IDW also needs to create some ongoing spin-offs from the ongoing series (like they did with their G.I. Joe titles) because lets face it with so many characters in the G1 TF Universe to play with it makes sense to have more than one G1 TF book.

However reviving the Marvel series is not a good idea because it will only create a bigger division in the fanbase than there already is and I doubt that IDW can maintain a G1 Transformers multiverse (and the same with G.I. Joe) I think ultimately one will get pushed aside for the other.

I mean even Marvel and DC can't maintain separate comic book universes outside of their established super-hero universes.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Stormwolf » Sun May 08, 2011 11:14 am

Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Cyberstrike wrote:However reviving the Marvel series is not a good idea because it will only create a bigger division in the fanbase than there already is and I doubt that IDW can maintain a G1 Transformers multiverse (and the same with G.I. Joe) I think ultimately one will get pushed aside for the other.

The fanbase will always become more divided whenever a new series/comic gets introduced. You can't please everyone.

Hell, we even have stupid discussions about what colors Rumble and Frenzy are, back then we only had the G1 cartoon, US comic and UK comic.

You and I for instance seem like polar opposites when it comes to which stories are good or bad. And we aren't even the worst of the lot. Cough

DW back in the day never had any problems with running G1 alongside the Armada/Energon comic. Having IDW publish two series wouldn't be all that different.
Stormwolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10

Postby Cyberstrike » Sun May 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Stormwolf wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:However reviving the Marvel series is not a good idea because it will only create a bigger division in the fanbase than there already is and I doubt that IDW can maintain a G1 Transformers multiverse (and the same with G.I. Joe) I think ultimately one will get pushed aside for the other.

The fanbase will always become more divided whenever a new series/comic gets introduced. You can't please everyone.

Hell, we even have stupid discussions about what colors Rumble and Frenzy are, back then we only had the G1 cartoon, US comic and UK comic.

You and I for instance seem like polar opposites when it comes to which stories are good or bad. And we aren't even the worst of the lot. Cough

DW back in the day never had any problems with running G1 alongside the Armada/Energon comic. Having IDW publish two series wouldn't be all that different.

I meant 2 different G1 Universes (IDW publishes the movieverse).

Which will in the long term will doom one.

It has happened many times with Marvel and DC and chances are it will happen to G.I. Joe in the future.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Endurance: Infinity
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby F Prime » Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Cyberstrike wrote:

What are the two G1 universes? Besides the Marvel-verse are you counting ongoing as the other G1? Just curious.
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby Stormer » Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Motto: "I just want to teleport in, destroy some monsters, damage some property and teleport out."
F Prime wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

What are the two G1 universes? Besides the Marvel-verse are you counting ongoing as the other G1? Just curious.

Yup, IDW's Ongoing and a continuation of the Marvel G1 series. They're both G1, though IDW's take and the ever-changing appearances of the characters makes one wonder...Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Two series might doom one to fail, but I think failure tends to comes more from lame stories and unenthusiastic art - which of coarse leads to disinterest in the series (I'm sure there's lots of other factors, I'm just trying to simplify). Though, I really can't argue with the point that two G1 series would interfere with the continuity and cause some fan rifts. Better maybe to have mini-series that tie in with the current universe but also explore where Marvel G1 left off.
Stormer
Vehicon

Postby Fortress Rodimus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:22 pm

That is true i never thought of the idea that one G1 series would cancel the other out. Oh well i would still like a miniseries on the finish off the original marvel.
Fortress Rodimus
Minibot

Postby F Prime » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 am

Fortress Rodimus wrote:That is true i never thought of the idea that one G1 series would cancel the other out. Oh well i would still like a miniseries on the finish off the original marvel.

I don't think they would cancel each other out. They have entirely different versions of how the TFs came to be on Earth, so they are already not the same continuity. I think they can easily co-exist.
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby st@rscream » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 am

Signed.

I grew up with, and still love the original comics!
st@rscream
Mini-Con

Postby Blast Cannon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am

Motto: ""Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one lives forever.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
Hell, yes. I love Furman's vision of TF characters. Although I agree with Cyberstrike's sentiment that Furman certainly should not be the be all and end all of TF comic book writers, I do believe that there is a sense of 'unfinished' business for his storylines and would like to see them completed.

It's safe to assume that I'm just taking the piss.
Blast Cannon
Headmaster
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Stormer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Blast Cannon wrote:Hell, yes. I love Furman's vision of TF characters. Although I agree with Cyberstrike's sentiment that Furman certainly should not be the be all and end all of TF comic book writers, I do believe that there is a sense of 'unfinished' business for his storylines and would like to see them completed.

And now it's confirmed - #81 is gonna happen! Well, I'm looking forward to it! Always wondered what would have happened next...(ooooh...please let the art be good, please let the art be good, please...)
:grin:
Stormer
Vehicon

Postby Rodimus Prime » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:08 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Is only #81 confirmed or is it solid all the way to #100?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Energon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 am

I am glad to see this come to be a reality. Nice to see Simon writing robots again as well as Andrew Wildmans awesomely drawn robots.
Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 23

Postby st@rscream » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:15 am

The next few years will rock for Transformers comics.

This fall IDW's collected UK Transformers start hitting shelves.

Early 2012 will see the start of their G1 reprint series which will include new colors.

2012 will see Simon's continuation of G1 with hopefully a similar coloring scheme as the new reprints.

I'm hoping that the success of these releases causes IDW to reprint Generation2 as well.
st@rscream
Mini-Con

Postby Stormer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:Is only #81 confirmed or is it solid all the way to #100?

Just in case you haven't heard, yes, all the way to #100.
Stormer
Vehicon

Postby Blast Cannon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 am

Motto: ""Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one lives forever.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
Stormer wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Is only #81 confirmed or is it solid all the way to #100?

Just in case you haven't heard, yes, all the way to #100.

About damn time. Very excited to see this. :-B

It's safe to assume that I'm just taking the piss.
Blast Cannon
Headmaster
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #44 Cvr C Image Comics 2022 JUN220343 44C (CA) Rivera"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #75 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0823IM324 75C (CA) Williams III"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr N FOC TMNT Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN228339 8N"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr Q FOC Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN228342 8Q (CA) Broxton"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "tINVINCIBLE RED SONJA #9 Cvr P Dynamite Comics 2022 MAR229174 9P (CA) Moritat"
tINVINCIBLE RED SO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr V FOC 1:11 TMNT Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN228347 8V"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #57 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 DEC220315 57C (CA) Manapul"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #38 Cvr D Image Comics 2022 MAR220279 38D (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr F Walking Dead 20th Image Comics 0823IM481 5F Hughes 240330"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER Bundle set 1 #1-5 Boom Comics 2022 AUG220319 (CA) Well-Bee"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #32 Cvr C Image Comics 2022 DEC210345 32C (CA) Del Mundo"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #10 Cvr G 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN220627 10G"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #78 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 1023IM395 78B (CA) Adlard + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #49 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 AUG220257 49B (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON