This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Shout! Factory's Transformers – Japanese Collection: Complete Series

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Shout! Factory's Transformers – Japanese Collection: Complete Series

Postby El Duque » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Shout! Factory has listed a preorder on their website for Transformers – Japanese Collection: Complete Series. The set is listed at $89.99 + Shipping and scheduled to release on July 5th 2011.

The Complete Japanese Collection - First Time On DVD In North America!

In 1984 the world was introduced to a unique line of transforming toys designed by a Japanese toymaker. Originally created as independent action figures, the line was repackaged as The Transformers by American toy powerhouse Hasbro, who enlisted the help of advertisers Tom Griffin and Joe Bacal and comic book writer Bob Budiansky to create a comprehensive backstory of valiant Autobots and treacherous Decepticons. The franchise was an instant success, launching popular comic books and a daily animated series that spanned four stunning seasons and a theatrical motion picture.

After the events of the Transformers Gen One TV seasons, Japanese creators had more stories to tell. This trilogy steered the heroic adventures of the Autobots — known as Cybertrons in Japan — in a completely new and wild direction. Finally, for the very first time in North America, those three Japanese creations — Headmasters, Super-God Masterforce and Victory — can be seen in one deluxe 13-DVD box set!

Offered with the original Japanese Language Audio and English Subtitles. Additional bonus features include original toy commercials, art galleries including rare material and much more.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Shout! Factory's Transformers – Japanese Collection: Complete Series

Postby MysteriousDewd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Sweet can't wait to get this, my only question though is will it contain Zone?
MysteriousDewd
Fuzor

Postby King Slick » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Weapon: Energon Cutlass
Just happened to see the story via FB. This is most exciting. Gonna have to snag up the savings. Know all we need is Japanese Beast Wars, though again that drifts from the US series in the same fashion that G1 drifted direction with Transformers: Rebirth (Beast Machines ends up being a longer Beast era "Rebirth" with the inclusion of details from Rebirth)
Big trouble in a small package.
King Slick
Minibot
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby King Slick » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Weapon: Energon Cutlass
MysteriousDewd wrote:Sweet can't wait to get this, my only question though is will it contain Zone?

If Zone is what they say it is, most likely it will. Kind of like how G1 Season 3 included "Rebirth" which ended up being the all too short Season 4 (would of loved seeing a more psychotic Galvatron do battle with the Autobots (even though he meets a sad end due to "the ring of friendship"...bah!
Big trouble in a small package.
King Slick
Minibot
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm

MysteriousDewd wrote:Sweet can't wait to get this, my only question though is will it contain Zone?

If that's the only question...then is it common knowledge that there's no chance of Scramble City with audio and subtitles?

Why was that such a problem on the last TF:TM DVD again? Toei just showing how much they appreciate their fans, like with Sailor Moon?

And I'd love to see them do the JBW stuff too; if it's profitable to just re-release the same American BW series we'd already previously gotten,even in this economy, then I don't see how the first official release of more TF toons we never got in this hemisphere could lose Shout! any money.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby ALEXD3498 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:36 pm

i cannot wait i was screaming!!!!! holy ****, Star Saber :D ;) :sad: =P~ :BOT: :CON: :KREMZEEK: :APPLAUSE: :-B is on the cover!!!!!!!!!
ALEXD3498
Mini-Con
News Credits: 2

Postby kirbenvost » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Yipes! Awesome, but now do I wait for this or pick up the individual releases? I kind of missed out on the cool package art with the first box set.
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+
Courage: 8

Postby F Prime » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Motto: "math...thrash...Math....Thrash...MATH....THRASH..."
Weapon: No Weapon
Pre-Ordered. I am excited to have an actual copy of these instead of the burned VCDs I bought in the mid-90s and the torrents I downloaded last year.
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I am very excited for this.

Will be good for the TF community.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Speed: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8

Postby Rodimus2006 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Motto: "We Live for the One, We Die for the One, But we dont Die Stupidly."
Weapon: Twin Swords
All this time waiting and waiting and still not in English thanks Hasbro.

Also thanks to Hasbro they are the reasons we havent got our Animated Season 3 yet also the reason why we have never seen the US release of RID either.

It has been almost 10 years since RID it has never ever been here in the states yes I know that the UK and they have been other countries with the sets but I am talking about a domestic US release which has never happened.

I knew it when I saw Takara also when it says Japanese this wouldnt be in English.

Japanese English Subs no thanks I will just get my Beast Wars.
Rodimus2006
Headmaster
News Credits: 5
Strength: 10+
Endurance: 6
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Motto: "Roll out!"
Awesome!!!

which are they?

Thanks for BeastProwl fixing the link!
Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: ???
Skill: 10+

Postby Galvatron X » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Motto: "Such heroic nonsense..."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
I can't wait for these.

As a total noob to the Japanese cartoons, I'm looking forward to learning about what the rest of you all know!

Also, I'm happy about the English subs. I WANT it to be in Japanese!
Galvatron X
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 4

Postby #Sideways# » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
I want this, but it is waaaaaaaaaaay to expensive for my taste. :-(
Check out my YouTube for my Transformers Trading Card Game lists, gameplay and general thoughts on the game!
#Sideways#
Godmaster
News Credits: 62
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Rated X » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
I downloaded all this stuff last year. If they would do english voiceovers and get rid of the subtitles, I would love to but an original copy. But this would not be anything new to me. Its the subtitles that have kept me from watching the versions I have now. Theyre just plain annoying.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Supreme Convoy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Argh. I recently bought the Madman set.

If this set has better video quality, I might double dip...
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby F Prime » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:08 am

I would prefer a version with both English and Japanese options. I have watched the series both with subs and with the terrible, terrible dubs that we all know and loathe.

With that said, however, I don't know how realistic it is to expect SHOUT! to hire an entire voice cast to re-do this show....I doubt they are going to sell enough to make it worth that much.

I am also not surprised that Hasbro is reluctant to have these translated and sold....the transformers say "****" almost every episode and Wheelie partakes in underage drinking. :) Sure, Hasbro could put it out as "mature content" or something, but I really don't think they want to go that route.
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:18 am

F Prime wrote:I would prefer a version with both English and Japanese options. I have watched the series both with subs and with the terrible, terrible dubs that we all know and loathe.

With that said, however, I don't know how realistic it is to expect SHOUT! to hire an entire voice cast to re-do this show....I doubt they are going to sell enough to make it worth that much.

I am also not surprised that Hasbro is reluctant to have these translated and sold....the transformers say "****" almost every episode and Wheelie partakes in underage drinking. :) Sure, Hasbro could put it out as "mature content" or something, but I really don't think they want to go that route.

Exactly! Much the same with Beast Wars II and Beast Wars: Neo, and no offence to the Japanese people on Seibertron because I know you’re not responsible, but the Japanese TV shows are more matured then the American.

Exhibit A:Image

Sooo… as you can see the chances of BWII and BWN being released are quite slim..

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby F Prime » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am

Speaking of adult content in Headmasters....who can forget this haunting scene?

I don't think Westboro Baptist Church is going to be thrilled with Pipiro....
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:16 am

F Prime wrote:Speaking of adult content in Headmasters....who can forget this haunting scene?

I don't think Westboro Baptist Church is going to be thrilled with Pipiro....

“Twitch” :shock:

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Joetx » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am

This is great news!

Now I'll get to see what all the hubbub about these series is all about.
Joetx
Fuzor

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:03 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Re: Will it contain Zone? - That... remains to be seen. Currently, Brian Ward of Shout Factory had this to say about that:
I can say that you should expect follow-ups of at least Super-God Masterforce and Victory. I can't really make any promises, regarding Scramble City or Zone at this time. That being said, Headmasters will certainly be used as a rough gauge of the series' popularity. After all, it is the only one of the three that is a direct continuation from S3, so we wouldn't necessarily expect the same response to the subsequent series.

Hope to have more information for you guys soon.

Brian

Re: Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo - These two may be the most difficult of the Japanese TF series to acquire. Because every other Japanese TF series had been released on DVD, they were able to be released as such in the West. However, Beast Wars II and Neo NEVER had a DVD release, not even in Japan (they were only released on VHS). Because of this lack of a DVD release, there's a possibility that there do not exxist digital copies of the Toei masters of this series. If that's the case, then a DVD release of either would be impossible.

Re: A English dub - It has already been confirmed that these set will not have an English dub of any kind on this set:
I really can't make this any more clear. We've tried and tried to no avail. The brand team at Hasbro is dead set against including the dubs on the DVDs. They're not happy with the fact that the names of some of their most popular characters have been changed and find it confusing to their less hardcore fans in the United States. Furthermore, there are other things they've heard and find objectionable; content they feel to be detrimental to their brand name. As a result, they will not currently allow me to include the dubs.

the topic of fan dubs or new dubs has also been broached with the brand team. In order to have anything like this approved for inclusion on the sets, they want approvals over the scripts, the voice cast and then the final audio. We don't have the money required for a new dub. For starters, it takes studio time. Then, it takes paying the actors. Everyone asks the same question; would the original voice cast be able to come back and voice the characters? Simple answer: no. There are members of that voice cast that charge as much as $10k just to make a public convention appearance. That's a single person. Now multiply that by the number of voice actors. We don't have that kind of money. These guys aren't going to do this simply out of love for the show. For you, it's a passion. For them, it's a job. And once the voice cast completes their task, we then have to remix the entire show. This is all very expensive and incredibly time consuming.

so there you have it. It's not that we don't want it included. I very much want the option of the Japanese or English language tracks. But Hasbro is equally adamant about keeping them off. You're more than welcome to try to convince them otherwise, but believe me; when you have this conversation with them, you realize very early on how little love they actually have for the Takara shows, let alone the English dubs they find to be confusIng and offensive.

Brian

And now, to respond to some of these posts directly.

King Slick wrote:Just happened to see the story via FB. This is most exciting. Gonna have to snag up the savings. Know all we need is Japanese Beast Wars, though again that drifts from the US series in the same fashion that G1 drifted direction with Transformers: Rebirth (Beast Machines ends up being a longer Beast era "Rebirth" with the inclusion of details from Rebirth)
Actually... they don't do that. Beast Wars II and Neo officially occur "tens of thousands of years" after Beast Wars Returns (Beast Machines).

Bumblevivisector wrote:Why was that such a problem on the last TF:TM DVD again? Toei just showing how much they appreciate their fans, like with Sailor Moon?
I take it you haven't been following the official news of that series, have you? ;)

Bumblevivisector wrote:And I'd love to see them do the JBW stuff too; if it's profitable to just re-release the same American BW series we'd already previously gotten,even in this economy, then I don't see how the first official release of more TF toons we never got in this hemisphere could lose Shout! any money.
Like I said above, there were no Japanese DVDs of the two JBW series. If digital copies of the masters don't exist, then there's no hope for a DVD release of either series.

Plus, Shout! also considers the people who will buy these JG1 series a very niche market. So, it's gonna be enough of a challenge to just sell these JG1 series.

kirbenvost wrote:Yipes! Awesome, but now do I wait for this or pick up the individual releases? I kind of missed out on the cool package art with the first box set.
I'd say go for this complete set, as you'd have everything all at once plus its exclusive bonus content that won't be included in the individual sets.

godzillabot wrote:Awesome!!!

which are they?
Transformers: The Headmasters
Transformers: Chōjin Masterforce (Super-God Masterforce)
Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers: Victory

Galvatron X wrote:I can't wait for these.

As a total noob to the Japanese cartoons, I'm looking forward to learning about what the rest of you all know!

Also, I'm happy about the English subs. I WANT it to be in Japanese!
Good man. :D

#Sideways# wrote:I want this, but it is waaaaaaaaaaay to expensive for my taste. :-(
Save up or request it for Christmas. ;)

Rated X wrote:I downloaded all this stuff last year. If they would do english voiceovers and get rid of the subtitles, I would love to but an original copy. But this would not be anything new to me. Its the subtitles that have kept me from watching the versions I have now. Theyre just plain annoying.
If you own downloads of them, then you most likely own the TV-Nihon subtitled versions. While their subs are "okay", they're not up to par with official DVD subs. They leave certain lines untranslated or just leave some words in Japanese (i.e. - "yatsura", "yatsu", "kisama", "combi", etc.) rather than using an English language equivalent. You will need to get the DVDs to get the full experience.

And, any English version would be botched up job, regardless of its quality.

Supreme Convoy wrote:Argh. I recently bought the Madman set.

If this set has better video quality, I might double dip...
I have the Metrodome set, but I too may wind up double dipping if its Headmasters subs are polished up and uncut (both the UK and Australian DVDs had missing footage and subs with tons of QC issues).

F Prime wrote:I would prefer a version with both English and Japanese options. I have watched the series both with subs and with the terrible, terrible dubs that we all know and loathe.

Hasbro said "No!" to the old Omni dub and any fan dubs, and a completely new redub was simply unfeasible.

F Prime wrote:I am also not surprised that Hasbro is reluctant to have these translated and sold....the transformers say "****" almost every episode and Wheelie partakes in underage drinking. :) Sure, Hasbro could put it out as "mature content" or something, but I really don't think they want to go that route.
They do not say that. They say "Shimatta!", "Onore!", "Ku so~tsu!" and the like, which all translated out to saying "Darn it!"

And, as for that "mature content" you and godzillabot posted, can you really call that any worse than what we saw in the ROTF movie?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 8
Skill: 9

Postby F Prime » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 am

Sabrblade wrote:

Hasbro said "No!" to the old Omni dub and any fan dubs, and a completely new redub was simply unfeasible.

Yup, that was my point exactly. I would love for it to happen but I don't see how SHOUT! could possibly do it.

Sabrblade wrote:
F Prime wrote:I am also not surprised that Hasbro is reluctant to have these translated and sold....the transformers say "****" almost every episode and Wheelie partakes in underage drinking. :) Sure, Hasbro could put it out as "mature content" or something, but I really don't think they want to go that route.
They do not say that. They say "Shimatta!", "Onore!", "Ku so~tsu!" and the like, which all translated out to saying "Darn it!"

Thanks, I did not know that! But I can't same I am surprised that the subs were not accurate.

Sabrblade wrote: And, as for that "mature content" you and godzillabot posted, can you really call that any worse than what we saw in the ROTF movie?

I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

No, they are not more adult than RotF, but I don't believe Hasbro (I am guessing here) would put the cartoon franchise and the movies in the same category regarding intended audience. I believe there is an expectation that animated TF would be accessible for younger audiences, while the movies may or may not be.

However, now that I know that the TFs are saying nothing worse than "damn" when properly translated my entire opinion of the mature content bit changes.
Pi is exactly 3!
F Prime
Fuzor

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:23 pm

F Prime wrote:However, now that I know that the TFs are saying nothing worse than "damn" when properly translated my entire opinion of the mature content bit changes.
They just used that word in the fansubs to make them have a stronger sounding connotation than necessary.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Transformers: The Headmasters

thanks SB as always you're the heart of the know

Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm

godzillabot wrote:Transformers: The Headmasters

thanks SB as always you're the heart of the know
Though, I am a little surprised that you weren't aware of this. :-?

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SLIPSTREAM Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 5 Hasbro 2021 New"
SLIPSTREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NOPE SOAP Transformers BotBots Series 2 Toilet Troop 2019 used bar soap"
NOPE SOAP Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLOGSTOPPER Transformers BotBots Series 1 LOST BOTS 2018 Hasbro plunger"
CLOGSTOPPER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VENUS FROGRAP Transformers BotBots Series 1 Shed Heads 2018 Hasbro venus flytrap"
VENUS FROGRAP Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GAME OVER Transformers BotBots Series 1 LOST BOTS 2018 Hasbro Video Controller"
GAME OVER Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CARB O'NATE Transformers BotBots Con Crew Fantastic Fuelers energy drink 2019"
CARB O'NATE Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHREDDER JACK Transformers BotBots Series 1 Greaser Gang 2018 Hasbro"
SHREDDER JACK Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRITICALLY COMPLAINED Transformers BotBots Series 4 Movie Moguls Hasbro 2020"
CRITICALLY COMPLAI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING CANDYHOOVES Transformers BotBots Series 2 2019 Sugar Shocks Hasbro"
KING CANDYHOOVES T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 2 2019 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ULTIMATE KREON COLLECTION A4642 Transformers Kre-o Hasbro 2011 New"
ULTIMATE KREON COL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WASABI BREATH Transformers BotBots Series 5 Hibotchi Heats sushi Hasbro 2020"
WASABI BREATH Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRIST BANNED Transformers BotBots Series 3 Arcade Renegades watch 2019 Hasbro"
WRIST BANNED Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Kre-o Battle Changer Building Toy Hasbro 2015 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON