This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Classics: UK

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers Classics: UK

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:32 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
It looks like IDW will be launching a new reprint series, and oh boy is this going to be spiffy!
Amazon.com has posted a pre-order page for a new title by IDW named "Transformers Classics: UK Volume 1", a collection reprinting the old Marvel UK run in chronological order! IDW has reprinted the odd story from the UK run before, but this series promises to reprint the entire run for the first time in the US.
The description also states that this series will feature recoloured artwork and is slated for a release on 6. of September 2011.
To get to the pre-order page just click here!

For those that do not know, the old Marvel UK run of the Transforemrs comics reprinted the US comic material but also included new original stories. And by doing so creating a new continuity that went beyond the original US comics, introducing new characters and concepts that have become fan favourites over the years, like Death's Head and the Wreckers. While the US continuity, with some changes, is cannon with the UK continuity, the UK continuity is not cannon for the US continuity.

And if you're a fan of the old Marvel comics continuity and want it to be continued, sign the petition here, sure this will ignore the UK continuity, but it's written by Simon Furman who will undoubtedly introduce a few UK original things, like Ultra Magnus actually existing in the comic universe beyond just one movie adaptation.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Re: Transformers Classics: UK

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:36 am

I'll wait and see what the remastered artwork looks like, because this is actually really interesting. I enjoyed a few issues I've read of this. IT would be cool if it actually featured the US material as well.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby alldarker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 am

Motto: "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
Weapon: Vibro-Force Gun
Hello nostalgia! These are the comics I grew up with, back when I was living in England in '84 to '88! Excellent stories and excellent art-work: I remember the stories having a bit more depth than the Marvel run, but that might be youthful imagination playing tricks on my memory.

Anyhow, it seems I have some reading to do: I only recently bought IDW's Classic Transformers volumes 1 to 6. I also bought the IDW Best of UK Omnibus: looks like that one is going to be a bit redundant.
I'm so meta, even this acronym...
alldarker
Brainmaster
News Credits: 7
Buy from alldarker on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Windsweeper » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:48 am

This sounds interesting. I only started reading it with Target 2006 whose artwork should not be touched as it is a masterpiece.

Love the splash page where Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr come back from the future. The bottom scene with Galvatron and Cyclonus chills me every time I've read it these past 25 years. There's a haunted look in their eyes and my alltime favourite narrative is the one on that page.

Most of the UK art was good. If anything, they should redo the art of the US comics.

Interesting how this new post uses a scene from the US comic. I liked Wildman's art when he started with Time Wars but his US stuff annoys me with the fleshy faces.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 am

Windsweeper wrote:This sounds interesting. I only started reading it with Target 2006 whose artwork should not be touched as it is a masterpiece.

Love the splash page where Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr come back from the future. The bottom scene with Galvatron and Cyclonus chills me every time I've read it these past 25 years. There's a haunted look in their eyes and my alltime favourite narrative is the one on that page.

Most of the UK art was good. If anything, they should redo the art of the US comics.

Interesting how this new post uses a scene from the US comic. I liked Wildman's art when he started with Time Wars but his US stuff annoys me with the fleshy faces.

It is?
I'll change it then.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Blackstreak » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:32 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
I've always been intrigued by the UK storyline, always wanted to read it. Pretty cool they are reprinting the whole series from the UK. I see they did a reprint of some of the US Marvel issues but would probably be too much to ask for the whole series on reprint. I personally wouldn't need it as I have the originals but no reason to show favoritism towards one series over the other.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:36 am

Blackstreak wrote:I've always been intrigued by the UK storyline, always wanted to read it. Pretty cool they are reprinting the whole series from the UK. I see they did a reprint of some of the US Marvel issues but would probably be too much to ask for the whole series on reprint. I personally wouldn't need it as I have the originals but no reason to show favoritism towards one series over the other.

That would work for the most part, but form what I heard, the UK team made a few changes to the US material to let it work better with it's own comic material.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Stormwolf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:50 am

Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Dead Metal wrote:
Blackstreak wrote:I've always been intrigued by the UK storyline, always wanted to read it. Pretty cool they are reprinting the whole series from the UK. I see they did a reprint of some of the US Marvel issues but would probably be too much to ask for the whole series on reprint. I personally wouldn't need it as I have the originals but no reason to show favoritism towards one series over the other.

That would work for the most part, but form what I heard, the UK team made a few changes to the US material to let it work better with it's own comic material.

They usually only altered the dialogue a bit and added in a few pages.

It was nothing drastic.
Stormwolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Mcluskyism » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 am

This book is only going to print the UK stories, not the US ones with altered dialogue/corrected spelling, etc.

Andy Schmidt posted the contents on the IDW forums a while back:

Here are the contents of volume 1 as I understand it.

All re-colored and with James Roberts "commentary".

Also, yes, we have worked out a deal with Marvel so that we can reprint Death's Head's issues--thank you, Marvel.

Man of Iron
The Enemy Within
Raiders of the Last Ark
Decepticon Dambusters
Wrath of Guardian/Wrath of Grimlock
Christmas Breaker!
Crisis of Command
A Plague of Insecticons
...And There Shall Come A Leader
Missing In Action (text story)
Hunted! (text story)

So basically all the UK stories from the first 44 issues and the first annual, which is great as I don't think the text stories have ever been reprinted and Raiders of the Last Ark has never been reprinted or been seen in full colour before.

New cover from Andrew Wildman, a pencilled version of which has been posted here before.
Mcluskyism
Mini-Con
News Credits: 2

Postby First Gen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 am

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
And here's our answer to TF #81. If this sells its gonna cause some havoc as Dead Metal mentioned the UK is non canon so to reprint its entirety is probably telling us it ain't gonna happen. And if so, the UK material will be official canon across the board and they'll pick up the story where the UK left off. The UK version made it waaaayyyyyyyyyy better anyway.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Stormwolf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 am

Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
First Gen wrote:And here's our answer to TF #81. If this sells its gonna cause some havoc as Dead Metal mentioned the UK is non canon so to reprint its entirety is probably telling us it ain't gonna happen. And if so, the UK material will be official canon across the board and they'll pick up the story where the UK left off. The UK version made it waaaayyyyyyyyyy better anyway.

Agreed, it was far more epic. But let's be fair, Furman had way more liberties then Budiansky.
Stormwolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:18 am

First Gen wrote:And here's our answer to TF #81. If this sells its gonna cause some havoc as Dead Metal mentioned the UK is non canon so to reprint its entirety is probably telling us it ain't gonna happen. And if so, the UK material will be official canon across the board and they'll pick up the story where the UK left off. The UK version made it waaaayyyyyyyyyy better anyway.

I don't think this has anything to do with a yes or no to #81, it was Furman who stated that if #81 was made he wanted to ignore the UK and the G2 stuff.
IDW has reprinted a lot of stuff that's not in continuity with their own projects, and even publishes stuff that won't mesh with their own continuity.

I see this reprint collection solemnly as IDW's answer to those who've been demanding reprints of the UK stuff.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby First Gen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Dead Metal wrote:

I don't think this has anything to do with a yes or no to #81, it was Furman who stated that if #81 was made he wanted to ignore the UK and the G2 stuff.
IDW has reprinted a lot of stuff that's not in continuity with their own projects, and even publishes stuff that won't mesh with their own continuity.

I see this reprint collection solemnly as IDW's answer to those who've been demanding reprints of the UK stuff.

Ignore that UK and G2 ever existed? I'm sure that's a mistake as they open the flood gates for possibilities. And I honestly don't think the UK reprint is a call to the fans as much as its a "our material is failing so lets throw a reprint at em to ignite the fandom" type approach.

On a side note, should they reinstate the marvel storyline with 80s art, I won't be buying it. Leave the bad pastels and horrible inks in the past please.

First Gen
Faction Commander

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 pm

First Gen wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Ignore that UK and G2 ever existed? I'm sure that's a mistake as they open the flood gates for possibilities. And I honestly don't think the UK reprint is a call to the fans as much as its a "our material is failing so lets throw a reprint at em to ignite the fandom" type approach.

On a side note, should they reinstate the marvel storyline with 80s art, I won't be buying it. Leave the bad pastels and horrible inks in the past please.

Yea, he stated that the idea he has for #81 takes place right after Mervel G1 #80, set in the present and ignores the UK stuff for some reason and the G2 stuff since "it's too 90's and dark" he wants to try something different that feels more like the original run.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby First Gen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Dead Metal wrote:
First Gen wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Yea, he stated that the idea he has for #81 takes place right after Mervel G1 #80, set in the present and ignores the UK stuff for some reason and the G2 stuff since "it's too 90's and dark" he wants to try something different that feels more like the original run.

Haha too 90s? But an 80s storyline is perfectly fine.

First Gen
Faction Commander

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 pm

First Gen wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
First Gen wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Haha too 90s? But an 80s storyline is perfectly fine.

Yup, that's what he said, on hindsight he does not seem to like the G2 material too much which is why he wants to use #81 as an opportunity to take the stuff in a different direction, and apparently the '80s material is a little more "neutral" style.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby First Gen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Dead Metal wrote: Yup he said in hindsight he does not seem to like the G2 material too much which is why he wants to use #81 as an opportunity to take the stuff in a different direction, and apparently the '80s material is a little more "neutral" style.

I can buy that but picking up after the last autobot won't be an easy task.

First Gen
Faction Commander

Postby El Duque » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
I'll definitely be picking this up, been wanting to read the UK stuff for a while now.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Pot Bot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 am

Weapon: Electro-Sword
Never read ANY of the original comics, us or uk, my first transformers comic was infiltration. Might be worth looking at methinks
Pot Bot
Godmaster

Postby shamone » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am

ah the warm duvet of nostalgia

as an irish resident, we got the UK scheduling, and boy did furman blow budiansky out of the water. Got a few of the IDW reprints, space pirates, target 2006, and they were still exceptional

Prefer to imagine that they ended before they did.

gen 2 never happened
shamone
Combiner

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #1 Cvr J 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230482 1J (CA) Crain"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr E Dynamite Comics 2024 AUG230320 11E (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr G 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUN230666 2G (CA) Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #61 Cvr C 1:10 RI IDW Comics MAR231619 61C 61RI Fourdraine"
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK #4 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 NOV221604 4C (CA) Quinones (W) Kelly +Lanzing"
STAR TREK #4 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars CRIMSON REIGN #3 connecting Marvel Comics 2022 JAN220991 (CA) Anindito"
Star Wars CRIMSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #3 Cvr H 1:10 modern icon Dynamite Comics DEC220626 3H (CA) Conner"
GARGOYLES #3 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr O 1:30 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUN230674 2O (CA) Andolfo"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Trek Deep Space Nine DOG WAR #3 Cvr A IDW Comics MAR231644 3A (CA)Hernandez"
Star Trek Deep Spa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars YODA #4 var Marvel Comics 2023 DEC220802 (CA) Stott (W)Houser (A)Ross"
Star Wars YODA #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR WARS #27 Marvel Comics 2022 JUL220935 (CA) Gist (W) Soule (A) Genolet"
STAR WARS #27 Marv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #6 Cvr Q LTD Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney MAR230509 6Q (CA) Conner"
NEW!
GARGOYLES #6 Cvr Q ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK DEFIANT #10 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 OCT231336 10B (CA) Unzueta"
STAR TREK DEFIANT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK LOWER DECKS #3 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 SEP221716 3A (A/CA) Fenoglio"
STAR TREK LOWER DE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON