This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro Banking on "Transformers" Hitting It Big at Box Office

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Hasbro Banking on "Transformers" Hitting It Big at Box Office

Postby Hotrod » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:46 pm

This has been a busy year so far for Hasbro. Not only have they produced their brand toys but they have also been producing toys for four major movies, including the Transformers Movie. Today a new article was posted by Yahoo.com talking about how Hasbro is banking on the movies to help make money and the movie they are really banking on is the Transformers Movie. Read the article by clicking here.
Hotrod
City Commander
News Credits: 2024

Postby Marsekay » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 pm

i hope they do well.
heres for a repeat of the 80's!!
Marsekay
Mini-Con

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Interesting, although I dont like the sound of the Monopoly movie, I dont think it has the same kind of edge to it as Jumanji or Zathura...
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby jgilkinson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Marsekay wrote:i hope they do well.
heres for a repeat of the 80's!!

Seconded on both counts
jgilkinson
Pretender
News Credits: 1

Postby Booda » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm

Hasbro banking on Transformers?

...duh?
Booda
Micromaster

Postby Liege Evilmus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Realy, not the Fantastic 4, or maybe a suprize Ghost Rider2!?!

WHODA THUNK IT!

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby dabattousai » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Anything to bump Spider-Man 3 out of #1, that movie was crap and it deserves to be pushed out.
dabattousai
Combiner

Postby Gierling » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:34 pm

*waits for Monopoly movie winging*

"What the Hell, the little bald rich guy charged $1000 to stay at his boardwalk hotel!... CHILDHOOD RAPIGE!!!"
Gierling
Micromaster

Postby Sideshow Sideswipe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:37 pm

Motto: "Fritos are the right of all hungry beings"
Weapon: Shotgun
they already have tons of our money and the movie's not even out yet.
God, save me from your followers.

Sideshow Sideswipe
Fuzor
News Credits: 70
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 9

Postby Starscream_8_my_Dog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Just wish they had made a decent Megatron Movie Figure. I'm more then happy with the entire movie line ( Though 76' Bumblebee and Ratchet were a bit "Underwhelming") , And though I do feel Brawl and Bonecrusher should have been voyager sized, there molds are otherwise great, Bonecrusher specially.

Heres hoping Hasbro has a great summer of profits, so we can have more great toys.
Starscream_8_my_Dog
Mini-Con

Postby Wheeljack35 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Oh I think the movie will do very well
Wheeljack35
City Commander
News Credits: 26
Watch Wheeljack35 on YouTube

Postby SilverSurferX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Starscream_8_my_Dog wrote:Just wish they had made a decent Megatron Movie Figure. I'm more then happy with the entire movie line ( Though 76' Bumblebee and Ratchet were a bit "Underwhelming") , And though I do feel Brawl and Bonecrusher should have been voyager sized, there molds are otherwise great, Bonecrusher specially.

Heres hoping Hasbro has a great summer of profits, so we can have more great toys.

This is just wave one of this series of toys. Taking into account Hasbros penchant for making multiples of each toy to soak die hard fans like us dry of cash their will be voyager class of each deluxe toy. My true hope is that make an OP figure for the movie that truly "automorphs" (a step above Ultimate Bumblebee). I would really like to see a fully automated OP and would pay big bucks for it.
SilverSurferX
Mini-Con

Postby Booda » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Well, as much as Hasbro would like to milk the die-hards, they do have to have a general public market to make it worth mass-producing the figures.

Otherwise, you get BotCon exclusives.
Booda
Micromaster

Postby Prowl76 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Motto: "Can't live by logical thinking alone."
Weapon: Wind Funnel Producing Laser
Tranformers is going to be bigger than ever I think.
Prowl76
Godmaster
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Spooner » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:45 pm

That article just stated what I've been saying for months - no royalties to pay + licensing deals with other companies = $$$.
Spooner
Minibot

Postby Salazaar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 pm

That would be hilarious if the film tanked.
Salazaar

Postby metimoteo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:26 pm

"That would be hilarious if the film tanked."--Salazaar

I agree. Instead of licensing the brand to Dreamworks, as Hasbro did, they should have been more involved in developing the Transformers franchise from its roots, as Marvel did with Spider-Man. Frankly, I'm not optimistic for this film's success. Sure, it will have a big opening week, but I doubt it will outdo "Spider-Man 3," "Shrek the Third" or "Pirates" in either opening or total gross receipts. Moreover, there is wider anticipation from a broader audience of people for the next Harry Potter film, which will debut one week after Transformers does. Harry Potter will crush Transformers. Bet on it!
metimoteo

Postby AutobotJazz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Motto: "I do it my way: with style."
Weapon: Electrostatic Discharger Rifle
It doesn't suprise they're banking on this one. This could be their big brand this year. Make or break time is coming up.
AutobotJazz
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 104
Watch AutobotJazz on YouTube

Postby Roboto750 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Motto: "Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try."
Weapon: Electro Scrambler Gun
dabattousai wrote:Anything to bump Spider-Man 3 out of #1, that movie was crap and it deserves to be pushed out.

Agreed! It was easily the 2nd worst movie I've seen in 2007 (the first being "Epic Movie" - WORST FILM EVER). I've seen a lot of movies this year too.

Anyway, I think TF will be successful enough for Hasbro and to warrant the sequels, whether or not it actually breaks some records (which, again, I feel it does have a shot at).

8)
Roboto750
Headmaster
Buy from Roboto750 on eBay
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby lockepsb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm a Transfan, and I am kinda hoping it bombs so they can turn to Spielberg and ask why the hell he gave the helm to Michael Bay?
lockepsb
Mini-Con

Postby Autobot032 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Gierling wrote:*waits for Monopoly movie winging*

"What the Hell, the little bald rich guy charged $1000 to stay at his boardwalk hotel!... CHILDHOOD RAPIGE!!!"

...it's funny you should mention that.

Ridley Scott is at the helm of an upcoming Monopoly film. (No lie. http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=11223)

Anywho, those of you wanting and wishing the movie would crash and burn are being absolutely ridiculous.

Believe me, you want this film to do well. You really do. If it crashes and burns, we'll never see another movie, and Bay/Spielberg were the only ones capable of legitimizing the entire thing.... any legitimacy will be out the window and we'll be laughed out of the theater.

In fact, if it does crash and burn and does enough damage to the rep...Hasbro might even consider cutting their losses and drop the toyline altogether.

Think about it for a second:

1.) You build a toyline, spending billions on it over the years.

2.) You take a cartoon (a cheesy, 30 minute commercial) and you get two of the biggest names in Hollywood behind it and they do their best to legitimize and give weight to something so brainless and weightless...

3.) You go for the gusto pushing this thing, and spending millions upon millions more on the toy construction.

...and then it all crashes and burns.

1.) You'll have spent all that money on the toyline, and it will most assuredly do worse than you expected.

2.) No movies, no cartoons, no legitimacy, and you drag down the names of two of the biggest in Hollywood. If Bay and Spielberg are taken down by this, no one else in the biz will want to go near the property. Hell, even Uwe Boll might run for the hills.

3.) Money down the drain.

....after all of that, wouldn't *YOU* consider dropping it altogether? Salvage what's left of your reputation, and move on while you can?

Anyone with normal business sense would at least consider it.

And if this crashes and burns like you wish....you may not see TransFormers ever again.

Remember...be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby SpacerAM2 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 pm

I like to see it fail. Which it most certainly will. Because Robert Orci is both a Castro follower ,and is also focus on Star Trek more than transformers. Can't stand Orci's diabolical Castro avatar on Murphy's site. If Orci lived in Cuba he would of never been as wealthy as he is now. Guaranteed! Also cause Don Murphy is insanely evil ,and a very bad producer. Cause Bay is an ego driven maniac for doing it his own way ,and ignoring the fans. Talking smack about us on almost every interview. Spielberg for letting Bay commit chaos by destroying the tf film franchise at his first try. And for Hasbro not caring as usual. Cause Hasbro is going to make a profit on the huge transformers fan base. But they all won't make a penny from me on either the film or any of their other merchandise from the film.
SpacerAM2
Pretender

Postby Asderiphel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Autobot032 wrote:

Ridley Scott is at the helm of an upcoming Monopoly film. (No lie. http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=11223)

Anywho, those of you wanting and wishing the movie would crash and burn are being absolutely ridiculous.

Believe me, you want this film to do well. You really do. If it crashes and burns, we'll never see another movie, and Bay/Spielberg were the only ones capable of legitimizing the entire thing.... any legitimacy will be out the window and we'll be laughed out of the theater.

In fact, if it does crash and burn and does enough damage to the rep...Hasbro might even consider cutting their losses and drop the toyline altogether.

2.) You take a cartoon (a cheesy, 30 minute commercial) and you get two of the biggest names in Hollywood behind it and they do their best to legitimize and give weight to something so brainless and weightless...

3.) You go for the gusto pushing this thing, and spending millions upon millions more on the toy construction.

1.) You'll have spent all that money on the toyline, and it will most assuredly do worse than you expected.

2.) No movies, no cartoons, no legitimacy, and you drag down the names of two of the biggest in Hollywood. If Bay and Spielberg are taken down by this, no one else in the biz will want to go near the property. Hell, even Uwe Boll might run for the hills.

....after all of that, wouldn't *YOU* consider dropping it altogether? Salvage what's left of your reputation, and move on while you can?

And if this crashes and burns like you wish....you may not see TransFormers ever again.

QFT.

Seriously, if the movie tanks, what kind of hobby do we have left? Transformers development will be slowed to a crawl. No new toys means no new kids getting interested, no new fans. We'll all be sitting on ebay trying to outbid each other for stuff that will eventually become valueless.

Everything is shaping up for TF's to do well: the buzz is good, the weekend is clear of competition, the FX is outstanding. Now, Monopoly on the other hand...

Well, Disney did make Haunted Mansion.
Asderiphel
Minibot

Postby Roboto750 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 pm

Motto: "Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try."
Weapon: Electro Scrambler Gun
Autobot032 wrote:

Thank you for spelling it out for everyone. To sum it up, even if the movie tanks with the fanbase, but does good enough with the rest of the movie going public, the brand (i.e. future lines, comics, cartoons, etc.) is pretty secure. If the movie flops with all crowds, then you better start buying up anything TF you can get your hands on, because that's it! Though, there is the possibility of the (movie) toyline standing on its own legs, which would make for quite an interesting scenario...

But all this aside, there's enough hype out there that the movie will do decent enough at the theater to warrant "success." It may not crush the competition (which I hope it does), but it won't totally crash and burn at this point.
Roboto750
Headmaster
Buy from Roboto750 on eBay
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Autobot032 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:24 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
SpacerAM2 wrote:I like to see it fail. Which it most certainly will. Because Robert Orci is both a Castro follower ,and is also focus on Star Trek more than transformers. Can't stand Orci's diabolical Castro avatar on Murphy's site. If Orci lived in Cuba he would of never been as wealthy as he is now. Guaranteed! Also cause Don Murphy is insanely evil ,and a very bad producer. Cause Bay is an ego driven maniac for doing it his own way ,and ignoring the fans. Talking smack about us on almost every interview. Spielberg for letting Bay commit chaos by destroying the tf film franchise at his first try. And for Hasbro not caring as usual. Cause Hasbro is going to make a profit on the huge transformers fan base. But they all won't make a penny from me on either the film or any of their other merchandise from the film.

Get over yourself. It's fans like you that make Bay say the things he says.

Orci's a Castro follower? WTF?! Plenty of people have had Castro pictures and icons, it doesn't always mean what you think. Plenty of people have reasons why they do what they do without being sinister. They also owe you no explanation at all, either.

Sad thing, until you mentioned him in your post, I had forgotten all about Don Murphy. The film and everyone else around him outclasses him by leaps and bounds so much so, that I had forgotten about his pointless and stupid little tirades long ago.

If Hasbro didn't care, we wouldn't have TFs period. Late '80s, G1 died out. A few years later, they tried to bring the line back to life with G2. It failed, but at least they tried. (They didn't have to.) Then they gave us Beast Wars (and telling you how much that didn't fail is pointless. Unless you're that oblivious, and you're starting to prove that to me....)

I admit that money's definitely a driving force behind all of this, I mean who doesn't see that? I'd be crazy and/or ignorant not to admit it, however...there's more than money behind it.

Hasbro does indeed appreciate the fans or we wouldn't have gotten the fanwanks we've received in these past few years. Hell, they've even had Aaron Archer at some of the BotCons (at least one to my knowledge) when they could just say "Hah! A convention? What losers. No, we won't attend. We have to spend time making more money. These lemmings will buy anything!" but they don't. They actually listen to our input, they actually give a damn about our opinion. Just because they can't answer all of our concerns or give into all of our demands, doesn't mean they're in it solely for the money.

As I said before, get over yourself. The world (especially the business world) doesn't revolve around you, and if you must continue bitching, please...get the hell out of the way so the rest of us can enjoy what you're willing to pass up.

More for us, ftw!

BTW, one key point that was noted in the original article:

The movie is one of the most anticipated of the summer. It won an MTV Movie Award this month for the best "Summer movie you haven't seen," and is opening on what has traditionally been one of the biggest moviegoing holidays of the year.

"They put their stake down and everybody avoided it," Silver said. "That is the biggest statement of how Hollywood expects the movie to be."
Even the industry is wowed enough to say "You know what? It's going to kick ass, it's time to admit it."
Last edited by Autobot032 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr G FOIL Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230210 1G (CA) Nakayama"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #5 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 MAY231425 5A (CA) Sakai"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #3 Cvr C IDW Comics 2022 JUL228553 3C (CA) Eastman"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #1 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics DEC220422 1B MOTU Jones"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT X STRANGER THINGS #2 Cvr E 1:25 virgin IDW Comics 2023 JUN231496 2E (CA) Pe"
TMNT X STRANGER TH ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #2 Cvr B IDW Comics FEB231520 2B (CA) Eastman"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #149 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2024 JAN241250 149D Turtles Ongoing Wijngaard"
NEW!
TMNT #149 Cvr D 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 JUN221664 1B (CA) Eastman"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #110 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles AUG200576 110A"
TMNT #110 Cvr A ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Best of BEBOP + ROCKSTEADY #1 IDW Comics 2023 Ninja Turtles AUG231437"
TMNT Best of BEBOP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #1 Cvr F RI 1:50 IDW Comics JAN231649 1F Petersen"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #121 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 Ninja Turtles JUL210490 121RI (CA) Alleyne"
TMNT #121 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #143 Cvr C 1:10 RI IDW Comics JUL231252 143C Turtles Ongoing (CA) Sanchez"
TMNT #143 Cvr C 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #142 Cvr C 1:10 IDW Comics MAY231415 142C Ninja Turtles Ongoing (CA) Gonzo"
TMNT #142 Cvr C 1: ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON