This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #1 Preview and Review

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #1 Preview and Review

Postby El Duque » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Courtesy of our friends at IDW Publishing we have a seven page preview of the debut issue of their new Transformers ongoing title Transformers: Robots in Disguise. Be sure to pick up your copy tomorrow! Enjoy the preview below.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #1
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a) • Marcelo Matere x 4, Griffith (c)
The war for Cybertron is over—now the hard part begins!
This first of two new ongoing Transformers series offers an excellent jumping-on point and all-new direction as BUMBLEBEE and his fellow AUTOBOTS struggle to maintain control of a world without OPTIMUS PRIME!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99-

*Variant covers:
Wraparound Marcelo Matere cover, featuring the inter-connected image of all 4 covers!
Autobot logo temporary tattoos!
Dan Khanna hand-drawn Autobot sketch cover!

Bullet points:
• ONE UNIVERSE! This series, in conjunction with Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, expands the Transformers universe into exciting, unexplored territory.
• Never read an IDW TRANSFORMERS book? THIS is the place to start!
• 4 inter-connected covers by Marcelo Matere, each featuring a character from the new ongoing series, combining to make one image!
• All covers have an eye-catching foil enhancement!

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Exclusive Review of Robots In Disguise #1

Postby Psychout » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Motto: "This post clearly was meant to offend, and if you are affected by it in any way please close your browser and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously."
Weapon: Black Magic
Robots in Disguise, (a.k.a. "The one with the Decepticons in it") titles this second comic book series to run parallel with More than Meets the Eye, a catchy title, but is the comic as good as its longer named sibling?

Obviously, spoilers aplenty ahead...

Ah, ah, ah, ah staying' aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!

It is the Golden age of Cybertron, and peace has returned... Or has it?
Following the other side of the coin - thrust into leadership of Cybertron, up against it with half his friends believed dead on The Lost Light, this story of the little guy struggling to make huge decisions adds a new twist to a faction that has almost always has its stalwart and dependable leader in the past, so its no surprise that Bumblebee is the focus here.

Turns out the welcome wagon does have that good coffee flavour.

Unlike its longer titled counterpart, Robots In Disguise initially suffers from taking itself a bit too seriously. After the epic-scaled intergalactic nonsense of the Chaos arc, this story begins with a tight focus on the difficult relationship between the Autobots, weary from their millennia-long battle to free Cybertron, and the Nails, those who hold the Autobots equally as responsible for the war as the Decepticons, egged on by Metalhawk. It's an uneasy balance of power where the protectors are regarded as conquerors, and the 'bots decision to use Ratbat's Decepticons as controlled enforcers makes it look worse, even if they are 'contained' under Prowls ever-watchful eye.

Cybertron's finest in action.

Andrew Griffith's art in the book has a 'familiar' feel to it. 'Bee takes on a design those of you familiar with War for Cybertron would be more accustomed to, Metalhawks stick-figure physique is reminiscent of Starscream from transformers Prime, whilst the Nails and the unnamed background characters seem to comprise of everything from the old school cartoon cuboids right up to Beast-era designs (and thankfully, there is little to none of the awful movie-style segmenting of facial features). Lesser-known characters such as Needlenose and Horri-bull can be easily identified to those who may have only seen them from the old Marvel comics, and the wider shots are well drawn and clear, however that isn't to say that all of it is good - one or two members of the Decepticons (I'm looking you YOU here Skywarp) just look plain weird.

But, whilst the art is familiar and easy, John Barber's story is set to be a slow burner. With the high impact climax to MTMTE this was never going to be an easy sell, unable as this is to blast off to pastures anew. Setting a story on a rebuilt Cybertron was never going to be easy and, as is the fashion in domestic-based stories, civil disorder and terrorism is a theme that everyone understands and rarely if ever has a clear 'winner'.

94% if you are really honest, eh Prowl?

In recreating a world in this fashion Barber engineers an unforgiving but oft-explored choice: Exactly how far is Bumblebee willing to go to ensure Cybertron's freedom, and how, if at all, can they prevent the existing ill feeling from escalating further into violence and bloodshed? The Decepticons, as are to be expected, are unhappy with their lot and the Nails themselves, overseen by self-styled ambassador Metalhawk, only add to the volatile situation. As the decision Bumblebee makes at the end demonstrates, civil unrest is never a black and white issue, and although the conclusion to this issue did seem a little predicable, its knock-on effects will hopefully bring this story to life.

Cassettes always have a plan.

This is a longer read. As opposed to the light-hearted jaunt that MTMTE delivers, the long term arc within RID will raise a few eyebrows - and a few hackles no doubt - but with even Cybertron itself fighting its own population one must ask oneself, how much worse can it get for Bumblebee now? Depending on what Ratbat is planning for 'tomorrow night', the answer could well be 'much, much worse.'
Psychout
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Cassette. The 80s ROCKED
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise #1 Preview and Review

Postby MYoung23 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 am

I havent posted in a long time but..... SkyLynx!!!
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby #Sideways# » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 am

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
Are you seeing what I am seeing??

El Duque wrote:Image

Bottom center!

Its...!

BOBA FETT?!

By the way, am I the only one who noticed Omega Supreme's alt. mode in the background?
Check out my YouTube for my Transformers Trading Card Game lists, gameplay and general thoughts on the game!
#Sideways#
Godmaster
News Credits: 62
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Heavy B » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 am

Motto: "The best weapon isn't one you never have to fire, It's the one you only have to fire once."
Is that Oil Slick behind Jazz's head?.

Also, Metalhawk is a prick.
Psycho Warrior wrote: Heavy B, the man who can open armor plating with his bare ass. To fight a bear no less.
Heavy B
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Location: Anywhere I roam, Where I lay my head is home. Carved upon my stone, My body lie, but still I roam.
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Postby Prime Evil » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:11 am

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I'm not to familiar with Andrew Griffith's work, but I'm liking it so far. Hoping for another good TF coming from the new creative direction IDW has for Transformers. I am kind of curious why they do have the cons working in tandem instead of one con and one bot so that they don't really get out of hand.
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Really liking the artwork. Hopefully the story is not as slow as it sounds.

I'm curious to read further to see what is happening with Prowl and his decision-making.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Add Bluestreak and Jazz to the WFC-bodied dudes. :roll:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 8
Skill: 9

Postby 1111111222233333 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 am

Motto: ""...more than you need a FRIEND??" - Tracks"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
I really love that the comic is splitting into two separate storylines. That is just so awesome. I kind of think Robots in Disguise will pale in comparison to MTMTE, it just seems like the latter will be way more exciting.
Micromaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Firepower: 4

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Wait a minute...
See that long thing sticking up behind Horribul and Needlenose? Is that the robot thing from "Flight of the Navigator"? Don't know, that's kinda the first thing that springs to mind seeing it.

Also, this looks and sounds interesting.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby craggy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 pm

so good Transformers comics have bus alt-modes? because we've waited ages, and now two have come along at once!
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby ILL-Star » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Motto: "What is life without misfortune?"
Weapon: Cluster Bombs
Dr. Heavy B wrote:Is that Oil Slick behind Jazz's head?.

Looks to me like the bot behind Jazz is the green version of Cy-kill.
ILL-Star
Fuzor

Postby ILL-Star » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Motto: "What is life without misfortune?"
Weapon: Cluster Bombs
Dr. Heavy B wrote:Is that Oil Slick behind Jazz's head?.

Looks to me like the bot behind Jazz is the green version of Cy-kill.

Sorry for the double post. #-o
ILL-Star
Fuzor

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Haha, I noticed the fett man too. Damnit boba fett, these aren't the droids you're looking for!
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Stormrider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Nice review.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby El Duque » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Steven Boyd dropped by the Seibertron facebook page to share the TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #1 Retailer Incentive Sketch Cover by Dan Khanna seen below. Transformers: Robots in Disguise debuts today, be sure to swing by your local comic retailer to grab a copy.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby dedcat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Motto: "It's dedcat, son."
A surprisingly emotive expression, considering it's a cartoon robot. I likes it.
dedcat
Fuzor
News Credits: 5

Postby quickmixed » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:26 pm

A nice sketch. Khanna has also uploaded a pic of a second variant cover to his Deviant Art page of wfc style prowl.
http://dan-the-artguy.deviantart.com/#/d4ndnob
WANTED TO BUY

C-125:Shoki, C126:Getsui, C127:Yukikaze, C129:Seizan. MIB + unused stickers PM for details.
quickmixed
Vehicon

Postby Neurie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:43 pm

This does nothing but strengthern my view that Khanna is only good for covers and portraits.

His actual comic work is poor in comparison, I dont know why botcon keep using him.
Neurie
Headmaster Jr

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Read it yesterday night.

I have to say, I am not sure I like the way things are set up for the characters in RID.

Prowl is manipulating his fellow bots a bit too much for me. Bumblebee = puppet/face of gov, Prowl = puppetmaster.

If that fellow in shadow with Prowl is Swindle or Skywarp, I'm tearing that next issue up (cover suggests Skywarp). If it's Megatron or a new Con or Autobot, my interest is piqued.

Why is Sideswipe G1 colors again? Why did he switch for one issue? Joke from the colorist?

And I thought Ratbat said they no longer had their special skills...who do we see using his teleport skill at the end of the issue. That's why I think it's Swindle in shadow, because he did something like those chips to Brawl in ongoing's end, and I could see it being used here, like he made a deal with Prowl, freedom for the ID chips...faulty ID chips (and Horribull shall now become a headmaster...) Because of Autocracy and Ongoing, Swindle is being set up as a big player in IDWs TFU.

Not sure which book I like better. Ultra-serious, or a bit more loose and silly?

The art I can deal with and am happy about, minus the WFC designs (especially Bumblebee). Like the Bee design on the cover much more.

Like the nod to Boba Fett in the splash panel (bottom right)...
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Neurie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:38 pm

It wont be Megatron as Prime is off searching the galaxy for him, bringing him back this soome is just plan stupid.

Swindle is doubtful, more likely it would be Thundercracker. As the person talking to Prowl has little or no knowledge of Earth it would suggest its a character who was not on Earth.

Also, Ratbat is a politician and a trained liar so the fact that he said Skywarp could not teleport should not lead you to believe he was telling the truth especially when he said he had a plan. Those"guys sitting quiet in the corner" are obviously the guys who figured out how to overide it and they are using deception to hide thier true plans.

Quiet simple really.
Neurie
Headmaster Jr

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Neurie wrote:It wont be Megatron as Prime is off searching the galaxy for him, bringing him back this soome is just plan stupid.

Swindle is doubtful, more likely it would be Thundercracker. As the person talking to Prowl has little or no knowledge of Earth it would suggest its a character who was not on Earth.

Also, Ratbat is a politician and a trained liar so the fact that he said Skywarp could not teleport should not lead you to believe he was telling the truth especially when he said he had a plan. Those"guys sitting quiet in the corner" are obviously the guys who figured out how to overide it and they are using deception to hide thier true plans.

Quiet simple really.

I get the Ratbat deal, it's why I was assuming Swindle, with faulty chips..or overideable chips.

Not quite so simple as you say, but I've only read it once with distractions.

My ponderance/cross-reference time may not have been equal to yours here.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper

Postby Josh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:29 am

Josh
Micromaster
News Credits: 30

Postby CCsilverbolt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Motto: "Like a Boss ;d"
Weapon: Electro-Magnetic Rocket Launcher
Why does Bumblebee have a walking stick !? :???:
CCsilverbolt
Mini-Con
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 6
Speed: Infinity
Firepower: ???

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
CCsilverbolt wrote:Why does Bumblebee have a walking stick !? :???:
Cuz he's had one since...

...um...

...How long ago was it that he got his cane? During the ongoing? I don't remember. :oops:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Courage: 8

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K31 SHADOW PANTHER Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K31 SHADOW PAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E38 MEGATRON Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER-13 Takara New"
NEW!
WFC-E38 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL + RATTRAP Transformers War Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix 2021"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL + R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cover B IDW Comic Book 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 5B (CA) Whitman"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2023 New"
IRONHIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT SLUDGE Transformers Studio Series 86-15 Movie Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
DINOBOT SLUDGE Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Quake and Chasm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Six Shot and Decepticon Revolver" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Perceptor and Convex" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON