This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

MGS-03 Upgrades for Universe Hound and Ravage

Do you love your new Hercules set? Can't get enough of FansProject's items? Upset that you bought a knock off when you thought you were getting an original? Use this forum to tell everyone your thoughts about unlicensed and knock off TF products.

MGS-03 Upgrades for Universe Hound and Ravage

Postby El Duque » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
It would appear you'll have yet another option for upgrading your Universe Hound and Ravage. This time around it's from the relatively new third-party group MGS. The set titled MGS-03 Scout comes with a set of missiles for Ravage, two new combinable guns, gas cans, and a shoulder/rear weapons mounting plate for Hound. Check out the images mirrored from ACToys below.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: MGS-03 Upgrades for Universe Hound and Ravage

Postby megatronus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Neat-o

I kind of like these over the alternatives we've seen so far. If it's <$20, I'm sold.

This all beckons the question for me: What are MGS-01 & MGS-02?
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby President-prime » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I'm not understanding how some of you say that these third party stuff cannot be proven character likeness. Uhhhh,it comes with a character bio card saying "Hound" and "Autobot.". And at the bottom, it said "copy righted.". Copy right for who? I have nothing against 3rd party stuff but to argue blindly saying that hasbro doesn't have a case is flawed. Just wanted to point that out. Back to this upgrade. I'll be all over it if it's chromed. THe plastic makes it seemed well, "plasticky.". No thanks
President-prime
Fuzor
Buy from President-prime on eBay

Postby El Duque » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
President-prime wrote:I'm not understanding how some of you say that these third party stuff cannot be proven character likeness. Uhhhh,it comes with a character bio card saying "Hound" and "Autobot.". And at the bottom, it said "copy righted.". Copy right for who? I have nothing against 3rd party stuff but to argue blindly saying that hasbro doesn't have a case is flawed. Just wanted to point that out. Back to this upgrade. I'll be all over it if it's chromed. THe plastic makes it seemed well, "plasticky.". No thanks

"Most" third-party companies are careful not to use official names or faction symbols, not sure why these guys are being so bold. Maybe it's because they're just making upgrade parts of an existing figure? Whatever the case using the official names probably isn't the smartest move.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby RhA » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
Well, the figure IS Autobot Hound. They're acknowledging Hastaks alsready exsisting figure, can't be illegal. Is it?
Love thy pretenders.
RhA
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Vic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 am

Weapon: Twin Swords
Not bad. Starting to make me wish I hadn't bought the Dr. Wu weapons.
Maintaining my meager place in this world...
Vic
Minibot
News Credits: 5

Postby G1 Legacy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 am

Motto: "Aw c'mon Hasbro! What can I say...I've been spoiled by 3rd party."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
:BANG_HEAD:
Well buckle up boys and girls...it's time for the latest installment of G1 Legacy's semantic bitch & moan routine...

I'm having mixed feelings about this. Putting the whole "3rd party bold infringment" discussion aside for the moment. I respect the effort that has been made on this, I really do. But my complaint here is the SAME one I keep having for every upgrade kit that keeps surfacing for G3 Hound....it's not G1 enough (and before you roll your eye's, just hear me out). Yeah, we're modernizing the G1 brand with the Classics/Universe line... trust me, I get that. But I have yet to see a third party add-on kit for this character that has accurate peripheral hardware. Lets try to combine the G1 toy design and his cartoon portrayal. How do we do this? Well lets keep it simple and go with what we know.

And what two things is Hound known for??? Number one HOLOGRAMS! And second being his peace loving exploratory nature...he's an Autobot, not a Decepticon...why are we arming him to the teeth and/or adding an awkward big gun (or guns)????

Back when this Hound figure came out a few years back I was initially impressed with it (and the Cyclonus Targetmaster homage during that same wave). I thought the Ravage addition with Hound was a BRILLIANT move on Hasbro's part. But what was equally frustrating on the flip side of the coin was the lack of proper guns. Now you could argue that Hasbro was trying to stay true to character by just giving Hound his shoulder mounted Hologram projector, but how can you kiss up to the fanboys and add Ravage from an obscure episode of the old cartoon, but then NOT add the basic accesories from the G1 toy? I never got that. Not to mention the awkward transformation design (also his shoulder missle/hologram projector doesn't seem to want to stay mounted in bot mode). I have two of these figures and their both "loose" and awkward. They don't wanna stand up straight or maintain poses it seems. I mean, thank god for the big feet, you need that foundation to hold up the awkward center of gravity on this guy...so why am I picking on Hasbro when the subject at hand is this kit you ask?

Because with the flaws just mentioned, why would you want to add more "top heavy" guns to this guy to just weigh the figure down with?

I can see how you can want to expand or modernize on a Transformer character that has been portrayed across several iterations of the toy line, but Hound is one of those characters that has only been portrayed in the G1 universe (correct me if I'm wrong). The original Hound toy came with a Pistol, a rocket launcher w/ 3 rockets, a gas tank and last but not least the ever elusive spare tire.

Just give me a damn simple 5 or 6 piece kit with an add-on to correct the poor posture issues and allows a mounting bracket for his rear mounted G1 gun "turret" (which it seems like these guys attempted to do with this upgrade, kudos BTW). But at the same time, give me one that looks similar to G1...and in doing so, PLEASE keep in mind that its equally important to recognize the characterization behind the figure (which 30 years into this is borderline myth/legend at this point). And the peace loving, geologist and sociolgist minded Hound would not carry this level of armaments and arsenal period. It's just against his established character profile. And don't get me wrong, I'm all about tricking out robots and arming them to the teeth for combat scenarios. But do it with the bots that liked combat or were atleast more up for it, like Cliffjumper, Bluestreak, and Sunstreaker for example.
These companies keep adding more guns, MORE GUNS! To me the cool gimmick would be a few Holograms for him to be projecting...several come to mind from the old cartoon. Or a transparent driver etc...and add last but not least how about a SPARE TIRE and one (JUST ONE, not three or six) gas can. Sorry, I had to rant there for a bit folks...I feel better now. Now this is usually the part where another forum member will paste photos to back up there disagreement with something I've pointed out. LOL And the dance continues... :DANCE: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Last edited by G1 Legacy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
G1 Legacy
G1 Legacy
Minibot
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Aluus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 am

I think hasbro has said they don't mind upgrade sets to existing figures. After all, when a set becomes popular, it only increases sales of the figure, which IS their original product. It's the 3rd parties figures that mostly piss them off as it directly takes away from their sales, particularly if it's a figure they have not yet made.

now... all this is trivial. I'm more interested in this hound repaint. i'm not familiar with it...
Aluus
Fuzor

Postby G1 Legacy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 am

And I swear to Primus, the first one of you guys that posts a photo of G2 Hound blazing away with big cannons from the Marvel G2 premiere comic is just asking for it. Especially since Simon Furman has so much as discretited that whole timeline/continuity with the upcoming G1 Marvel continuation of issue #81...but I know, thats a whole 'nother debate :lol: :lol: :lol:
G1 Legacy
G1 Legacy
Minibot

Postby G1 Legacy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 am

Aluus wrote:
I think hasbro has said they don't mind upgrade sets to existing figures. After all, when a set becomes popular, it only increases sales of the figure, which IS their original product. It's the 3rd parties figures that mostly piss them off as it directly takes away from their sales, particularly if it's a figure they have not yet made.

Yea, I tend to agree with that line of thinking. Boy you must have missed the whole third party fireworks show thats been cracking, popping off, and eventually blowing up on here latley. Phew, last weekends threads were a doozy.
G1 Legacy
G1 Legacy
Minibot

Postby President-prime » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 am

Though I agree to try and keep the characterization of hound, these guys, like myself prob. Like to arm their transformers with awesome weapons. While some people like their guys a certain way, many people (collectors) display their figures on shelves or glass cases. Don't know about you, but robots with holograms and gas cans don't look too appealing. Most of my toys are displayed with swords and big guns. It just makes my collection look better ( to 'me', of course). These guys are prob trying to sell to the masses.
President-prime
Fuzor

Postby horus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:00 am

Motto: "Drown them in sound till you here no whispers"
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun

:grin:

Hope they chrome it g1/Henkei style
horus
Fuzor
News Credits: 5
Strength: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10+

Postby G1 Legacy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am

President-Prime wrote:
Though I agree to try and keep the characterization of hound, these guys, like myself prob. Like to arm their transformers with awesome weapons. While some people like their guys a certain way, many people (collectors) display their figures on shelves or glass cases. Don't know about you, but robots with holograms and gas cans don't look too appealing. Most of my toys are displayed with swords and big guns. It just makes my collection look better ( to 'me', of course). These guys are prob trying to sell to the masses.

Well said. Point.....counter point. Yeah, my display is glass cased etc. Although my collection is more about quality as opposed to quantity. I just position them in ways that depicts or harkens back to the original portrayls as much as possible while trying to maintain a tolerant and flexable attitude toward Hasbro's Universe updates where needed.

We should preface all of our posts on here with a "to me, of course" disclaimer. LOL THX
G1 Legacy
G1 Legacy
Minibot

Postby G1 Legacy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 am

:APPLAUSE: Ughhhhhhhh, I knew it was just a matter of time. Way to go Horus! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[EDIT]
And while we're on the subject:
See there, another missing item from this kit? Where is the "Holy Hand grenade of Antioch" tied to Hounds ankle. Because we all know that an advanced alien race of intergalactic space faring transforming robots from a far away galaxy simply must be using a basic balistic 20th century armament, not to mention guns that fire traditional "cased" cartridge ammo. Ahhh yes, the early ninties I remember it well.
:michaelbay: :SICK:
Last edited by G1 Legacy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
G1 Legacy
G1 Legacy
Minibot

Postby President-prime » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:10 am

Lol. You guys are funny. I've never smiled or laugh so hard reading, but the posts are more entertaing than anybooks I've read in a long time. Still smiling.
President-prime
Fuzor

Postby robotmel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:02 am

Motto: "I once pooped an Energon Cube!"
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
G1 Legacy wrote:And I swear to Primus, the first one of you guys that posts a photo of G2 Hound blazing away with big cannons from the Marvel G2 premiere comic is just asking for it. Especially since Simon Furman has so much as discretited that whole timeline/continuity with the upcoming G1 Marvel continuation of issue #81...but I know, thats a whole 'nother debate :lol: :lol: :lol:

:evil:
How very dare you!

Simon Furman is a GOD! He's like the fourteenth member of The Thirteen!! :BOWDOWN:
ROBOTMEL'S WANTS LIST! :BOT: PM ME PLEASE!
Classics/Generations - 25th Ann Unicron, YotS Omega Supreme
Alternity - Ultra Magnus, Dai Atlas, Saber
IDW Transformers (2009 Ongoing) - #22b (VF/NM)
MARVEL Generation 2 - Halloween Special (VF/NM)
robotmel
Gestalt
News Credits: 14
Buy from robotmel on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 6
Skill: 8

Postby synthetik » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:38 am

Motto: "You! Yes, you! You are dead!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
I'm interested in this. And although I agree with hound's personification, he has hands and mounts on his body that can be outfitted with endless machineguns.

Gets the roboladies wet.
synthetik
Minibot
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: Infinity

Postby Aluus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 am

G1 Legacy wrote:Aluus wrote:

Yea, I tend to agree with that line of thinking. Boy you must have missed the whole third party fireworks show thats been cracking, popping off, and eventually blowing up on here latley. Phew, last weekends threads were a doozy.

Nah, I check Seibertron daily. 3rd party upgrades and figures don't interest me though, given the cost. Take Hercules for example... For what all 6 Constructicons cost, I could put a custom CAT-Back exhaust on my car, or i could lower it and do a projector retrofit, etc. I still love my transformers, and I buy a figure if the mold or character interests me, but I can't justify dropping cash like that on plastic that sits and gathers dust on my shelves.

The whole third party thing is just getting ludicrous anyway. Now we have knock-offs of third party products... but even more ludicrous, we have third party companies producing upgrades for third party upgrades. And still the fans and collectors keep ponying up the cash, paying even more when the figure's demand exceeds it's supply. I do not mean to step on anyone's toes here, but when i step back and look at the situation, i can't keep a straight face. It is so... absurd.

Now... back on topic... Hello? Orange Hound? Anyone?
Aluus
Fuzor

Postby Dead Metal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Aluus wrote:
G1 Legacy wrote:Aluus wrote:

Nah, I check Seibertron daily. 3rd party upgrades and figures don't interest me though, given the cost. Take Hercules for example... For what all 6 Constructicons cost, I could put a custom CAT-Back exhaust on my car, or i could lower it and do a projector retrofit, etc. I still love my transformers, and I buy a figure if the mold or character interests me, but I can't justify dropping cash like that on plastic that sits and gathers dust on my shelves.

The whole third party thing is just getting ludicrous anyway. Now we have knock-offs of third party products... but even more ludicrous, we have third party companies producing upgrades for third party upgrades. And still the fans and collectors keep ponying up the cash, paying even more when the figure's demand exceeds it's supply. I do not mean to step on anyone's toes here, but when i step back and look at the situation, i can't keep a straight face. It is so... absurd.

Now... back on topic... Hello? Orange Hound? Anyone?

We've had 3rd party stuff for 3rd party stuff ever since City Commander came out.

Also theyellow Hound is a BotCon figure, Turbomaster/Scorch.

Personally I like this set, it's a little much (guns wise) but I like it, so for itS' the best Hound kit out there.

For those woundering what MGS-01 and 02 are, those are the KO Perfect Effect Masterswords that came with Minibot heads. Which you can see here.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Prime Evil » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 am

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Aluus wrote:Now... back on topic... Hello? Orange Hound? Anyone?

You must have missed this. Came out two years ago for Botcon 2010.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scorch

Anywho, I collect 3rd party toys and actually wholeheartedly agree with you. I think the 3rd party business is getting out of control. To much crap and not enough quality or originality. I'm more pick and choose anymore. And the fact that these 3rd party guys are charging more for inferior quality work makes me not want to get a lot of them. So far, I think Fans Project has been the most fair and the one company I will support for their ideas, work, and quality. (besides Takara/Hasbro)
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8

Postby Rated X » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:15 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
If it allows you to put the rocket launcher properly as shown in the picture, I’m all in. Im already getting Renderform’s Ravage missiles, but I’m all for Hounds rocket launcher getting some much needed attention.

And I love the card. Screw intellectual property. Hasbro wants us to spend our extra money on lego men.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Blackstreak » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Who's the orange repaint? Never seen that one before but my first instinct was Detritus. And it looks like two sets for both characters. I like it but I will probably only use one shoulder mounted missile.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9

Postby grimeyingo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 am

i skipped on Dr Wu cuz i just used the G1 missiles for ravage... bu this is nice!
grimeyingo
Mini-Con

Postby Midnight_Fox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am

Motto: "The Midnight Fox comes in the night,
always in shadow, never in sight."
Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Already grabbed Renderform's set, but I'll probably pick this up for the same reason as Rated X: it puts the shoulder missile in the correct position.

Probably give the rest of the guns to Scorch/Turbomaster.

If it comes with missiles for SG Ravage, I'll probably leave them off since he's actually depicted with the small ones his figure already has:

Midnight_Fox
Godmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 6
Speed: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3

Postby DevastaTTor » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 am

Up for pre-order now at BBTS for $30: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Arrival expected next month.
Check out my BST Sales Thread HERE!

Equal Opportunity Transforming Robot Collector
DevastaTTor
Gestalt
News Credits: 198

Next

Return to Unlicensed and KO Transformers Toys

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #20 var BHM Blade Marvel Comics 2023 AUG229000 (CA) Allen (W) Lore"
MOON KNIGHT #20 va ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL Woman Without Fear #1 var Marvel Comics 2022 NOV210819 (CA) Hitch"
DAREDEVIL Woman Wi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #8 var X-Treme Marvel Comics 2022 SEP221025 (CA) Coccolo (W) Percy"
GHOST RIDER #8 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Ghost Rider Wolverine WEAPONS VENGEANCE #1 Marvel Comics JUN230949 (CA) Kuder"
Ghost Rider Wolver ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #13 var 1:50 Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230861 (CA) Land (W) Rowell"
SHE-HULK #13 var 1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #1 var Bullseye Marvel Comics 2023 JUN231149 (CA) Portacio (W) Ahmed"
DAREDEVIL #1 var B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL + ECHO #2 var Marvel Comics 2023 APR230732 (CA) Mack"
DAREDEVIL + ECHO # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 JUN231146 (CA) Miller (W) Ahmed (A) Kuder"
DAREDEVIL #1 var M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #11 var Skrull Marvel Comics 2022 MAR221061 (CA) Manna (W) MacKay"
MOON KNIGHT #11 va ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 JUN231150 (CA) Kuder (W) Ahmed (A) Kuder"
DAREDEVIL #1 var M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #9 var x-treme Marvel Comics 2022 OCT220949 (CA) Ruan (W) Rowell"
SHE-HULK #9 var x- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #1 Vol 10 var 1:50 Marvel Comics 2022 DEC210898 (CA) Lee (W) Percy"
GHOST RIDER #1 Vol ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IMMORTAL SHE-HULK #1 Marvel Comics 2020 JUL200653 (CA) Bennett (A) Davis-Hunt"
IMMORTAL SHE-HULK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #1 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2022 APR220762 (CA) Stegman (W) Zdarsky"
DAREDEVIL #1 var 1 ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON