This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Diamond Selects Comics and IDW Bringing Back the Battle Beasts!

Do you collect other toys besides Transformers? Maybe you've got a Masters of the Universe collection you'd like to show off, or maybe you like Thundercats, Voltron, G.I.Joe, Power Rangers, Star Wars, Wrestling, or any of the various comic book toy lines. Please keep the discussions here to non-Transformers toy lines.

Diamond Selects Comics and IDW Bringing Back the Battle Beasts!

Postby GetRightRobot » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Motto: "Surf in the Summer, Collect in the Winter."
Weapon: Neptune Sword
Not everything that comes through here at Seibertron.com is Transformers related. This is one of those instances. IDW has been a part of the Transformers community for years now, and they have teamed up with Diamond Select Toys to bring another close relative of the Transformers universe to the comic and toy world, Battle Beasts!

Diamond Select Toys and IDW to Unleash the Battle Beasts at C2E2!

TImonium, MD (April 12, 2012) – Since 2010, Diamond Select Toys has been searching to find the right partner to introduce their Battle Beasts brand to a broader audience. Now the search is over, and DST and IDW Publishing have teamed up to immortalize a new breed of Beasts! At this year's Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), which runs from April 13-15, the two companies will offer a taste of what's to come: DST will give out an ashcan preview of IDW's upcoming BATTLE BEASTS comic-book mini-series, as well as an exclusive promo Minimate of one of the book's lead characters!

“We are thrilled to have found a partner in IDW, a company that understands toy fans just as well as they understand comic book fans,” said director of Diamond Select Toys Chuck Terceira. “Their experience with licensed comic books -- and with the dedicated fan bases they write for on a monthly basis -- is proof that the Battle Beasts brand is in the right hands, and we look forward to working with them for this mini-series, and, hopefully, beyond!”

The mini-series is written by Bobby Curnow (Godzilla Legends, Night of 1000 Wolves) and penciled by Valerio Schiti (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Donatello, Dungeons & Dragons: Eberron). It focuses on a group of renegade Beasts who return to Earth to protect the ultimate weapon (and the human who activated it) from an armada of their violent brethren. The ashcan will reprint the first eight pages of issue #1 in full color, and fans will be able to get a free translucent Minimate of the ram Vorin while supplies last. Both will be given away during C2E2 by DST at booth #311.

“BATTLE BEASTS is a great fit for IDW”, said writer Bobby Curnow. “What's so important about toys is they enable kids to build worlds in their imaginations, and create stories for those worlds. Since I never really grew up, getting the chance to help create the new Battle Beasts in comic form has been a fantastic and supremely fun experience. The world has been turned upside down with the arrival of the Battle Beasts, and we're going to have a great time showing just how crazy things get. IDW has a lot of experience finding riveting stories in toy-based licenses, and I hope BATTLE BEASTS is no exception. I know for a fact that Valerio is knocking it out of the park. His art is going to floor a lot of people.”

And the excitement does not stop there -- at San Diego Comic-Con (July 11-15), IDW will launch the BATTLE BEASTS mini-series with issue #1, and DST will unveil the first full wave of Battle Beasts Minimates, which will be in stores in late fall of 2012! The first wave of two-packs will focus heavily on characters who appear in the comic, and will have a gameplay element, as well. DST will also have an exclusive two-pack of Battle Beasts for sale at the show.

Minimates are 2-inch minifigures created by Art Asylum in 2002. This year marks the brand's 10th anniversary, and in that time Diamond Select Toys and Art Asylum have released over 1,000 Minimates for nearly 50 separate licenses. Highly detailed and highly poseable, each Minimate features 14 points of articulation and comes with plenty of interchangeable parts and accessories.

Visit BattleBeast.com for more information about the comic book and toy line.

Visit IDWPublishing.com to sign up for updates and learn more about the company and its top-selling books.

BATTLE BEASTS #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in July 2012. Diamond order code:

About IDW Publishing
IDW is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. Renowned for its diverse catalog of licensed and independent titles, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including: Hasbro’s The TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE, Paramount’s Star Trek; HBO’s True Blood; the BBC’s DOCTOR WHO; Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Toho’s Godzilla; Wizards of the Coasts Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons; and the Eisner-Award winning Locke & Key series, created by best-selling author Joe Hill and artist Gabriel Rodriguez. IDW is also home to the Library of American Comics imprint, which publishes classic comic reprints, and Yoe! Books, a partnership with Yoe! Studio.

IDW’s critically- and fan-acclaimed series are continually moving into new mediums. Currently, Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Disney are creating a feature film based on World War Robot, while Michael Bay‘s Platinum Dunes and Sony are bringing Zombies vs. Robots to film.

About Diamond Select Toys
Diamond Select Toys and Collectibles, LLC, was founded in 1999 by sister company Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. Headquartered in Timonium, MD, Diamond Select Toys was envisioned to create unique and exciting collectibles for children and adults alike, and today the company licenses a wide range of pop culture properties from partners such as Marvel Enterprises, Microsoft, Universal Studios, Twentieth Century Fox, Hasbro, MGM and Sony Pictures. In 2007, Diamond Select Toys acquired select assets of the New York based Art Asylum, creators of the global Minimates brand. Minimates have been recognized as the #1 selling block figure in the world and were the first toys ever to be inducted into the ToyFare Magazine Hall of Fame. In addition to Minimates, Diamond Select Toys manufactures a broad variety of products for the specialty and mass markets, including figures, statues, banks, role-play items, replicas and housewares.

GetRightRobot
Godmaster
News Credits: 187
Watch GetRightRobot on YouTube
Buy from GetRightRobot on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Diamond Selects Comics and IDW Bringing Back the Battle Beasts!

Postby vegetacron » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Weapon: Spinning Augers
I saw the article and was like, "HELL YESSSSSSS!!!!!!"

I saw the toys and the comic book cover and was like, http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
vegetacron
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
RAMGUY ACTION FIGURE! - COMES FRESHLY CASTRATED FOR BONUS PLAYABILITY!
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby xyl360 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Yay, BeastFormers (as they're called in Japan) :D!

They were actually featured in the Japanese Headmasters series.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
xyl360
City Commander
News Credits: 2

Postby Screamfleet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
No mention at all of fire/water/wood, or elements in general.
That was kind of expected though.

Clear ram figure doesn't look too good, but it's clear. Hopefully a painted one will look nice. Maybe, though, maybe.
Screamfleet
Pretender
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Courage: 8

Postby griftimus prime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Motto: "you will have no freedom. whether you are sentient or not."
Weapon: 16 Cannons
might be cool if i cared about battle beasts. seriously?
griftimus prime
Brainmaster
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby rpetras » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Interesting that hey are built on the minimate body.

I'm a little surprised there is no mention of a game component at all.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Gandalf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Motto: "Not all those who wander are lost."
Weapon: Sword
I don't like that they are based on Minimates. If they were 100% newly designed figures, I would definitely be interested.

However, I'm glad to see another 80s toyline getting a modern update. Just last year I was digging through an old box of junk and mixed toys that I hadn't seen in many years, and there at the bottom was my handful of Battle Beasts. They now stand proud in my collection once again.

rpetras wrote:I'm a little surprised there is no mention of a game component at all.

"The first wave of two-packs will focus heavily on characters who appear in the comic, and will have a gameplay element, as well."

Hopefully this "gameplay element" will actually involve the elemental theme of the originals.
Gandalf
Fuzor

Postby T-Macksimus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 pm

vegetacron wrote:I saw the article and was like, "HELL YESSSSSSS!!!!!!"

I saw the toys and the comic book cover and was like, http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

That makes two of us. Having just rediscovered my stash of original BB's from the 80's I personally don't see any reason to change the design of the original toys. I was seriously hoping that the art style for the comic would have been more along the lines of the limited Beast Wars comic run that IDW did back in 2007. The whole general style would have been better suited to the original simplistic design of the characters AND still have held appeal to a new generation as well.
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt

Postby waaaaghlord » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Is this really the first that people have heard of these? Diamond have had the license to the Battle Beasts name for a couple of years now and first teased the line back in 2010 with 4 versions of their Minimates 'gator as exclusives at various shows. They have also confirmed that rubsigns are a no go and that the 'gameplay element' will not be elementally based like the originals.

This is in fact one of three Battle Beast themed lines to be launching this year. As well as the Minimates line we can also expect the 'Rise of the Beasts' line from a new company called Plastic !magination to hit this summer and Takara Tomy will be releasing a new Beast Saga line to compliment the recent Manga of the same name, which seems to be set in the original Beastformers continuity. Images of the TT prototypes can be found here

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/ ... pic=108804

For my money the Diamond take on the franchise is the weakest of the three.
waaaaghlord
Gestalt
News Credits: 7

Postby Screamfleet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 pm

I don't like that they are based on Minimates. If they were 100% newly designed figures, I would definitely be interested.

I'm not too keen on this either. I have the universal monsters minimates, and they feel cheap and kind of crappy. They come apart, don't balance well and their parts can get in the way. The appeal of minimates is they're little versions of things you know.

Making completely original designs on a toy that really is mostly a parody does concern me.
I do love the papo mutants, they're 4-5 inch solid figures, they're anthropomorphic warriors, more a medieval theme, though the gorilla is a a cyborg.
So I'm interested in a new line of animal warriors with possibility.
Screamfleet
Pretender

Postby Crisdecal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:56 am

Motto: "Pimps up, hoes down!"
I love Battle Beasts. This has got to be my second favorite toy behind Transformers....a very distant second I might add. I have the 4 gator convention exclusives and I like them. By the looks of this next convention exclusive they're changing the design of the toys. I would have liked if they would have made them closer to the originals but looks like Takara is trying to capitalize on this revival as well. Either way, more Battle Beasts for me!
Check out my store for various Transformers items: www.crisdecal.ioffer.com
Crisdecal
Micromaster
Buy from Crisdecal on eBay

Postby Downbeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 am

Motto: "Can't think and I'm feeling fine."
Weapon: Electro-Disruptor
Ehhhh. Comic looked okay, not great. bit too bloody for my tastes. I have the gold gator because I wanted some form of battle beast, but the ram looks awful and I'm not expecting much better for the future beasts. Might ebay some of the original 80s beasts, orrrrrr
http://battlebeasts.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -logo.html
I might get some of these guys when they come out. TakaraTomy is working on armored beasts that look just like modernizations of the 80s figures, as opposed to the Diamond minimates. I hope that Hasbro brings these over in some way since they (foolishly, in my opinion) gave up the Battle Beasts license. If not, might just import from Takara.
Downbeat
Minibot
Strength: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby Screamfleet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 am

The takara battle beasts look ok, but they look really gimmicky, or too super deformed. They have the original style though.

Would have been nice to have something in between what diamond is doing and what takara is doing.
Screamfleet
Pretender

Postby Dead Metal » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Moved due to new evidence pointing towards this having nothing to do with the old TF related Battle Beasts.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Return to Non-Transformers Toy Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC269 5B (CA) Kane"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 0923DC273 1B (CA) Peter"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Facsimile Ed GOLD FOIL Dynamite Comics DEC220641 (CA) Madureira"
GARGOYLES #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC273 1C"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #142 Facsimile 2023 ptg Marvel Comics SEP230777 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #142 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #141 Facsimile 2023 ptg foil Marvel Comics SEP230776 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #141 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC270 5C"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #181 Facsimile Edition Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 0323DC160 181A"
BATMAN #181 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #123 Facsimile Cvr C foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC806 123C"
FLASH #123 Facsimi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN BEYOND #1 Facsimile Cvr C foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC803 1C (CA) Timm"
BATMAN BEYOND #1 F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ADVENTURE COMICS #260 Facsimile Cvr B blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC264"
ADVENTURE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #140 Facsimile DC Comics 2023 ptg 0823DC210 Riddler Mortimer"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230685 (CA) Miller"
ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AVENGERS #1 Facsimile Ed Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230608 (W) Lee (A/CA) Kirby"
AVENGERS #1 Facsim ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON