This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

MakeToys Giant Set "B" Mobile Crane and Dump Truck Video Review

Post your reviews of Transformers toys in this topic. Videos can be posted in a topic as well as text reviews and images.
Please keep each topic dedicated to one specific toy (i.e. DOTM Deluxe Class Optimus Prime") that has actually been released.

MakeToys Giant Set "B" Mobile Crane and Dump Truck Video Review

Postby El Duque » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Seibertron.com member TJ Ducketttjduckett has uploaded a video review of MakeToys Giant Series Set "B" Mobile Crane and Dump Truck. He's also provided some very nice in-hand images of the duo. Check out his review and images embedded below.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: MakeToys Giant Set "B" Mobile Crane and Dump Truck Video Review

Postby Flux Convoy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
Nearly 14 minutes of a bunch of uummm uhhhh buuuts. Edited out the transformation but none of the droning on. Sounds logical. How about showing the face in a clear still shot? Why not show the screw/pile driver looking pieces? Hand articulation? All that video and I barely know any more than I went in with. If we're calling these things video reviews, review the toys. Just calling it like I see it.
:BOT:
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby Banjo-Tron » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Motto: "My banjo is everything; defeat is ukelele"
Nice review man, excellent, clear visuals as ususal. Great use of lighting. I need to get these guys in green so badly :BOOM:
Banjo-Tron
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

Postby 1111111222233333 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Motto: ""...more than you need a FRIEND??" - Tracks"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Nearly 14 minutes of a bunch of uummm uhhhh buuuts. Edited out the transformation but none of the droning on. Sounds logical. How about showing the face in a clear still shot? Why not show the screw/pile driver looking pieces? Hand articulation? All that video and I barely know any more than I went in with. If we're calling these things video reviews, review the toys. Just calling it like I see it.

You know the guy took time out of his day to film that review just so everyone could see it. He clearly explained why he didn't transform on camera. Maybe a little gratitude is in order instead of unnecessary cynicism? Besides, it's not like "IN ORDER TO BE AN OFFICIAL REVIEWER THIS MUST BE IN THE VIDEO" just calling it like I see it too.
Micromaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 10

Postby Flux Convoy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:06 pm

KenjaminLinus wrote:
You know the guy took time out of his day to film that review just so everyone could see it. He clearly explained why he didn't transform on camera. Maybe a little gratitude is in order instead of unnecessary cynicism? Besides, it's not like "IN ORDER TO BE AN OFFICIAL REVIEWER THIS MUST BE IN THE VIDEO" just calling it like I see it too.

Maybe he could have taken a few more minutes to figure out the figures better and transform them. Maybe he could have take even a few more minutes and edit this into something that doesn't remind me of middle school girls attempting conversation. Gratitude for what? I literally know one detail more from that video than I already did. I'm a cynic because this video is bad and could be much better. You want a decent review? Here you go. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... ost7614268 That video is a guy repeating his opinion on two figures he hardly explores in the video.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby worldsgreatest » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Flux Convoy is a steaming pile of slag. Just 'calling it as I see it'.
worldsgreatest
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby Flux Convoy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:40 pm

worldsgreatest wrote:Flux Convoy is a steaming pile of slag. Just 'calling it as I see it'.

:lol: Sure, you got me.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby Doctor McGrath » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Motto: "This is quick but not quite painless.."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
I hate review threads.

*meanwhile*

I really want the Longhaul figure.
El Duque wrote:Quite a firestorm I started here :michaelbay:
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from Doctor McGrath on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby MINDVVIPE » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Can anyone who finally gets set B (Still waiting on mine from tfsource) tell me whether Hook has a problem with all his wheels touching the floor and rolling freely? I feel thats a pretty big annoyance and could be fixed with some adjustment to all the overall pieces in alt. mode. Thanks.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Court Jester » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Show of hands:
How many of you would show gratitude for me reviewing myself scratch my ass for 30 mins? :-?

I always wanted to be the first one to be called a steaming pile of slag...
F U up the A Flux; how dare you steal my joy!
:-x
Court Jester

Postby megatronus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Hmmm... I learned that the vehicle shoulder pads are entirely unnecessary, given they can just flip up and show that the arm pieces are almost independent of the bots. Interesting...
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby Rated X » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
KenjaminLinus wrote:

In my opinion, the transformation should always be shown. Im sure some might take this the wrong way, but I see so called "reviews" as nothing more than online transformation tutorials. I usually dont watch them until I have the figure in my hands. Let somebody else do the hard work and risk breaking the figure trying to figure it out. Theyre the experts, right ? Take one for the team !!! :D
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Vicalliose » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
BraveMax@TFW2005 wrote:The reason why the head's been "hidden" in all of the pictures we've seen is because the neck is PURPOSELY MOLDED THAT WAY. It means that Giant is ALWAYS looking slightly down. You cannot truly straighten his head or have him look up. Not a fan of that design choice personally...
Jeez, that really kinda sucks. I'm also guessing the replacement head and flaps coming with the next set will not be a new mold either, since they did just use the word "replacement" instead of something like "fixed version". I was at least hoping not-Hook's foot/head would at be able to move around and possibly help balance the figure, but apparently this is impossible. Everything I've seen and read about Giant's not-Hook really shows that he's just a complete mess.

Edit: Actually it is possible to use the head as a balancing toe, I've just never seen anyone do it outside of the official images. Silly me for forgetting that.
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 3
Skill: 1

Postby Almagnus1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:15 pm

After seeing that review, I'm not liking Giant all that much anymore, especially when you start comparing it to Herc and the modded G1 versions.

It almost feels as if Giant was designed with only combined mode in mind - with vehicle mode as a somewhat close second, and robot mode paying the price for the low price tag.

When you compare against Hercules - sure you might have had a small pile of parts off to the side when the team was in robot mode (specifically Structor and Exgraver's cabs and both Devy hands), or had Neckbreaker's Hand off to the side when all are in vehicle mode, but the team looked good in all modes - with the exception of Neckbreaker's vehicle mode (which I would love to see TFC do a Neckbreaker 2.0 and fix the figure). To me at least, the bigger size feels about right to scale with FansProject Bruticus, so he looks good on the Classics shelf next to the various FansProject pieces.

Giant, on the other hand, has really strong vehicle modes, but a few of them have minor kibble issues. Three of the robot modes are actually bad enough to be strong enough reasons for me not to spend money on the set, with only Dump Truck being the only robot that's selling the second set to me. Combined mode, however, is where this set is doing well - baring the head/neck issue. Until someone compares a completed Giant next to something, I'm not going to have an accurate read for that. He looks to be about FP Bruticus in height, and (to me atleast) that feels small for a Devastator.

Really, this seems like a case of "you get what you pay for". Yeah, Herc will set you back at least another $100-$200 over Giant (depending on how lucky you can get), but that extra $100-$200 brings you generally better engineering because the design team could budget for it.

I'll be waiting for the third set (and other reviews), but so far, I don't think I'll be spending money on Giant, while I was kinda hoping too =/
Almagnus1
Mini-Con

Postby TJ Duckett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Oh wow guys, thanks. I appreciate the link on here, and credit. It's unfortnate that Flux Convoy seems to have been bitten by the "hater bug", but that's the internet and trolls for ya... and, of course, I'm just calling it like I see it.

He did ask for some clear pictures of the face... so here, how about some very clear shots of both the bots and the gestalt?

Thanks again guys, and the site is looking awesome. I miss talking to my IL. boys on here. :(
TJ Duckett
Minibot
News Credits: 6
Buy from TJ Duckett on eBay

Postby MINDVVIPE » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 pm

How the hell is the current gestalt head an issue? Coz it doesn't look up any higher than it does in pics??? That looks high enough for me, can see the entire face, looks fine. Pretty retarded thing to complain about. So far, the only complaint that actually might be legit, is the chest causing Hook's vehicle mode to not roll freely. Everything else just gets better the more I read and see more pics. I hadn't checked out the HERC individual bot pics in a while, and dear lord are some of them ugly. Exgravers huge shoulders and wide set hips for starters. To say the robot modes were the last on the list of priorities is ridiculous. I will give you Hook's thin knees; those are unnatractive when seen from the side.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby TJ Duckett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:58 pm

The head isn't molded to face downwards. I corrected that non-truth on TFW. It faces straightforward, but it just doesn't look UP. The head being recessed, and the forehead area taking up so much of the front of his face makes him look like he's looking down unless you're looking at him straight on.
TJ Duckett
Minibot

Postby Almagnus1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:43 am

MINDVVIPE wrote:How the hell is the current gestalt head an issue? Coz it doesn't look up any higher than it does in pics??? That looks high enough for me, can see the entire face, looks fine. Pretty retarded thing to complain about. So far, the only complaint that actually might be legit, is the chest causing Hook's vehicle mode to not roll freely. Everything else just gets better the more I read and see more pics. I hadn't checked out the HERC individual bot pics in a while, and dear lord are some of them ugly. Exgravers huge shoulders and wide set hips for starters. To say the robot modes were the last on the list of priorities is ridiculous. I will give you Hook's thin knees; those are unnatractive when seen from the side.

So the robot arm connectors that hang off the back of the robot modes, as seen in your sig,the don't matter?

And what about the two arm robots bing mostly hollow, one of which has a head connector that looks like something begging to be snapped from normal wear and tear? If you look at the arms (and now the crane) from the wrong point of view, they look horrible.

The Herc team has attitude, it's also got chunk and heft reminiscent of most of my collection (which is primarily G1). For me, the fragile appearance of the Giant figures I've seen in YouTube reviews is a pretty big turn off. YMMV on that point
Almagnus1
Mini-Con

Postby MINDVVIPE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 am

Almagnus1 wrote:So the robot arm connectors that hang off the back of the robot modes, as seen in your sig,the don't matter?

And what about the two arm robots bing mostly hollow, one of which has a head connector that looks like something begging to be snapped from normal wear and tear? If you look at the arms (and now the crane) from the wrong point of view, they look horrible.

The Herc team has attitude, it's also got chunk and heft reminiscent of most of my collection (which is primarily G1). For me, the fragile appearance of the Giant figures I've seen in YouTube reviews is a pretty big turn off. YMMV on that point

The arm connectors don't bother me at all. There are a ton of TFs in my collection with kibble here and there (and much worse). They're robots, They are allowed to have robotic parts visible. The gaps don't bother me either (they used to). Some of my favourite TFs have gaps. Warbot Defender has a very clear albeit thin gap by his neck and chest. If it bothers you, you can always reposition the connectors so they fill the gaps. The connector hanging off the back isn't THAT bad.

Considering all this, and then considering how much better I think Giants combined mode looks, which is pretty much what matters most... Well, we can go on forever. But I wanted to be clear to other readers (who might not have bought either yet) that the issues aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, or appear to be from pictures. As for the neck on Scavenger being fragile, time well tell. For now, its as solid as ever even with the tightness.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby Vicalliose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:45 am

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
TJ Duckett wrote:The head isn't molded to face downwards. I corrected that non-truth on TFW. It faces straightforward, but it just doesn't look UP. The head being recessed, and the forehead area taking up so much of the front of his face makes him look like he's looking down unless you're looking at him straight on.
Ah, that's not so bad then. Thanks for clearing that up. Though I should've just been paying more attention to the thread.

To me the individual figures are what like the most about these sets, even with their flaws. They just look far more dynamic than any of the Hercules figures. To some, what's on their backs looks like combiner kibble, these people are highly unimaginative, just pretend they're Energon powerpacks. I mean it's not like they have combiner hands blatantly hanging off of them. Mobile Crane may have a head for a foot, but if you can't see it's face then it's not a head, it's just a foot.

To me all the Herc figures look lame, plain, lanky and even too blocky for my tastes. Heck some of them are actually worse about tucking away kibble.
Wheel Loader is a freaking badass. To me, Structor just looks like a lame duck in comparison.
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 3
Skill: 1

Postby TJ Duckett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:21 am

Wheel loader DOES look badassed. Here are a few more of Dump Truck:

TJ Duckett
Minibot

Postby Flux Convoy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:45 am

TJ Duckett wrote: It's unfortnate that Flux Convoy seems to have been bitten by the "hater bug", but that's the internet and trolls for ya... and, of course, I'm just calling it like I see it.

He did ask for some clear pictures of the face... so here, how about some very clear shots of both the bots and the gestalt?

No, what's unfortunate is that everyone got so butthurt about my two cents of your "review". It isn't so much that I'm trying to be insulting but would you have sat 14 minutes of that? To your credit, you've mostly taken it in stride and shown clear pictures. I thank you for that. However, I'd ask that you keep your personal attacks or insults to yourself though. Troll? Please, you don't know me or my experience in the fandom.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby Mykltron » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
TJ Duckett, can those pistons on the back of his arms be used for anything cos they look redundant to me so far.

Almagnus1 wrote:Really, this seems like a case of "you get what you pay for". Yeah, Herc will set you back at least another $100-$200 over Giant (depending on how lucky you can get), but that extra $100-$200 brings you generally better engineering because the design team could budget for it.

Does 'better engineering' include all the flaws in the molds that I read about?

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby Hotrodimust » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 am

I get my set b in Wednesday and I will be doing full reviews on everything alt mode bot mode and combined mode and I will compare every mode to hercs modes. I will be doing 3 separate videos one for each mode and I will try and be as thrall as possible. So if anyone wants to check them out they will be going up in the afternoon sometime because my ups driver comes anywhere from 10am to 2pm
Hotrodimust
Combiner
Watch Hotrodimust on YouTube
Buy from Hotrodimust on eBay

Postby Jehuty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 am

This review was awesome, don't know what some lamer is talking about, they should probably just delete their account for all the whining.

This is the best representation of G1 Devastator to date, I have a full G1 crazy devy set and it is a complete waste of money compared to this set (In green). The robot modes are definately something to be desired but that's why I have hercules. I intend to display the green set in Devastator mode (As he is the TRUE representation of the character), and hercules in their individual but highly accurate to the G1 robot counterparts infront of devastator, and it will look amazing. Not to mention all of the dynamic poses you can get out of the hercules robot modes.

If you doubt me I'll post some pictures up some time, my hook has got his arms crossed with both guns in hand in quite the gunslinger fashion, my Scavenger looks as he did when he leans in to fire upon the autobots much like he did in the Transformers movie (1988), and scrapper (My favourite of the constructicons) in a kneeling shooting pose with his abdomen leaning away from his target to balance himself, quite freaking awesome.
Last edited by Jehuty on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jehuty
Mini-Con

Next

Return to Transformers Toy Reviews

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr F Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220272 1F (CA)Eastman+Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Cvr H 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2022 OCT220549 1H (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #1 Cvr H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr N 1:50 virgin Dynamite Comics 2023 NOV220596 2N (CA) Conner"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr N ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #54 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2020 JUL200907 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #5 Cvr J 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2024 SEP230252 5J (CA) Andolfo"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #11 Cvr H 1:7 Dynamite Comics 2024 AUG230323 11H (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #11 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #6 Cvr T 1:10 FOC Dynamite Comics MAR239167 6T (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #6 Cvr T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #112 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics 2023 JUL230120 112C"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr M 1:25 virgin Dynamite Comics JUN230672 2M (CA) Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #1 Cvr H 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 MAY230480 1H (CA) Lee"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #55 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2020 AUG201012 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #2 Cvr J 1:20 action figure Dynamite Comics JUN230665 2J"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #116 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics 2024 NOV230035 116C"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr E Gatefold Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220273 1E (CA) Mora"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Starscream Figure Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON