This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New Gizmodo Transformers Article: Michael Bay Is Why Transformers Got So Complicated

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

New Gizmodo Transformers Article: Michael Bay Is Why Transformers Got So Complicated

Postby El Duque » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Gizmodo has posted another Transformers related article, the subject this time: "Why have Transformers become so complicated?" According Hasbro's Senior Design Director Josh Lamb we have Michael Bay to thank, more specifically the movie franchise. However, they do state there is an effort to get back to simpler more intuitive transformations. Click here to read the full article.

"The reference style is so phenomenal in the movie tie-ins, we got more complicated than we had to," Lamb says. "Right now, there's a big effort to get back to simple; and more than simple, intuitive.

Bay and ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) work it pretty well," Lamb says, "But they also do some magic." In the movie, a car's parts could fold into infinitely small sections. Tiny pieces of interlocking plastic? Not so much.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: New Gizmodo Transformers Article: Michael Bay Is Why Transformers Got So Complicated

Postby Manterax Prime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Motto: "You honestly believed that The Leige Maximo was Prima's other half? How foolish of you!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I can understand wanting to get back to simpler designs, but pair that with simpler transformations and you defeat the movement. Sure the movie toys may not be the best out there, and their designs may be over the top complex, but at least they gave us satisfying transformations. I love them for that and I hope next year's movie figures give me that as well.

Just don't give them those piece of **** gimmick weapons. We buy them for the figure, not the accessory.
INFINITY! PLEASE!
Hi-Sui-Fu-Do! Bo-Zaba-Byu-Dogon!
Manterax Prime
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 3
Watch Manterax Prime on YouTube
Buy from Manterax Prime on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: New Gizmodo Transformers Article: Michael Bay Is Why Transformers Got So Complicated

Postby Noideaforaname » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 pm

No surprise there.

While Movie complexity got way out of hand, especially during RotF (Jetfire, Mixmaster, Blazemaster, Arcee, Leader Optimus *shudders*), I kinda think they're getting too simple to compensate. I'm not liking how, with many of the Beast Hunter figures, you can easily tell the exact (or at least close enough) transformation for even the Voyagers at just a glance. Thankfully the Generations aren't like that; perhaps not coincidentally the BH are more kid-oriented and the Generations more older fan-oriented, hmm...

RiD (the original series, with Sky-Byte and pals) had some really complex figures, too. I wonder what prompted that?
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby STngAR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
Hopefully RTRON.COM gets some credit for their picture.

I have my views on the movie toys and I hope the next movie toys take a different path.
:MAXIMAL:
Sledge wrote:Finally! Wheelie will get the credit he's due with a set of five Wheelies.

ScottyP wrote:Kid 1 "What did you get for Christmas?"
Kid 2 "Steve.........What did you get?"
Kid 1 "John Cena!"

"If you want to get rich, collect money, not toys"

COLLECTION
STngAR
Pretender
News Credits: 5
Watch STngAR on YouTube
Buy from STngAR on eBay
Alt Mode: The Litter Box
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: Infinity

Postby Ravage XK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Motto: "Are those my feet?"
Weapon: 20 Megavolt Stun Rifle
Simpler also means cheaper and faster to churn out.

I quite like a complicated transformation, simple transformations seem somewhat lack lustre.

TF COUNT: Lost count!
Latest Additions: Haslab Unicron, Siege Jetifre, SS Blitzwing
Ravage XK
Gestalt
News Credits: 15
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Lord_Onslaught » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Weapon: Cannon
I love the transformations of the movie figures, but if they are wanting to go back to simplistic transformations, I am not sure. I think they should stick with the transformations of the Classics, Universe, Generations lines.

I will take articulation over simplicity any day.
Megatron BOWS! to me!
Lord_Onslaught
Mini-Con
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Postby sabrigami » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
I think they were a little too complicated in the past. what matters to me is how fun the transformation is. Another thing I look for is if the past stay in place. nothing worse than playing with your fig and the little bits keep popping out of place, I think the recent Prime and BH line is striking a nice balance for me.
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby CaptainMagic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 pm

I can get behind the idea of less difficult, more intuitive transformations, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to sacrifice complexity. A transformation can have a ton of steps that all make sense and are easy to accomplish, yet are still satisfying, so long as you don't have parts that collide or need to very carefully squeeze past each other so they don't snap off. Unfortunately, the PRID toys had exactly the opposite approach, where there would be just as many problematic spots and difficulties getting stuff to fit as the movie toys, but they accomplished it in fewer steps. I guess that's a type of progress, but it feels like we're going the wrong way.
CaptainMagic
Micromaster

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
No more stupid weapon or light/sound gimmicks, and look towards Prime Vehicon for a good example of great transformation in all areas: Fun, simplicity/complexity balance, and genius engineering.

On the other hand though, WFC Prime has an awesomely complicated transformation, and looks great in both modes (to me anyway) while still being accurate to the game model.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Burn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
MINDVVIPE wrote:No more stupid weapon or light/sound gimmicks,

ugh. That would be nice because light/sound gimmicks take up space which could be used as part of the transformation. So many figures which could have been great have been made otherwise because of the need to dazzle kids.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Shelf Space » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Motto: "Death is guaranteed, livin is optional"
Weapon: Gun
Noideaforaname wrote:Movie complexity got way out of hand, especially during RotF (Arcee)

I hate that damn toy, I hate it so much... My daughter's super into Arcee (any girl Transformer really) so I got a bunch of 'em and that one in particular is prob one of the worst Transformers I've ever owned. And complexity-wise isn't the issue even though her transformation is ****, the damn thing can't stand up good, her arms are all retarded... ARRGH! Got me hot just thinkin about it. :BANG_HEAD:

Worst. Combiner. EVER!
Shelf Space
Mini-Con
Buy from Shelf Space on eBay
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Skill: 6

Postby Rated X » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Im probally in the minority, but I hate complex transformations. If I wanted a puzzle Id buy a Rubix Cube. If I wanted a challenge Id play todays video games. I enjoy looking at the figures displayed alot more than transforming them. I like the way classics figures transform. Nice and simple can even transform them after drinking a six pack of beer or more.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Skill: 8

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Rated X wrote:Im probally in the minority, but I hate complex transformations. If I wanted a puzzle Id buy a Rubix Cube. If I wanted a challenge Id play todays video games. I enjoy looking at the figures displayed alot more than transforming them. I like the way classics figures transform. Nice and simple can even transform them after drinking a six pack of beer or more.

I was trying to transform warbot defender while I was hammered one time, took me a good twenty minutes. :lol:
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Step forward, not back...

Postby Shockwave7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Look, the G1 toys may be 'beloved', but let's be frank here. They're bricks. Back then they didn't have the know-how or the technology to do ball/socket joints, bicep/thigh swivels, waist rotation, and all the other things that make the contemporary figures so much better. And I for one do NOT want to 'go back' to those days before those existed.

Most of the G1 figures didn't even have bendable arms, or knees. Heck, you were lucky if the lazy-@$$ designers would even bother letting you separate the legs instead of leaving them welded together, forcing you to 'hop' your figure around. And don't even get me started on how many of them simply told you to flip the vehicle over on it's back, revealing crudely sculpted robot-shaped bits. And THAT was supposed to be the 'transformation'.

Why in the world would anyone WANT to go back to that? If you're a collector, that is. Sure, if you're a fat, lazy, el-cheapo Hasbro designer, the idea of stone age transformers probably sounds like a dream come true. For me - not so much.

Certainly, I don't like a figure transformation to be so complicated that it becomes a chore. But with the 2007-2010 Generations figures, they hit a great balance. I say KEEP IT THERE.

The more recent figures bear the mark of the bad economy. The figures are thinner, more hollow, the plastic is flimsy and brittle. All signs of a company trying to cut corners in bad times. They tried to fool us in 2011-2012 by making the figures smaller and charging more for them. That didn't work - we still hated them because they sucked. Now they're trying to fool us by making restoring the figures to the size they should have been, but they're making the figures hollow now.

Well, I understand trying to make do in bad times. But for the love of Pete, DON'T bring back the G1 style 'Brickformers'.
Shockwave7
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby TulioDude » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
There is nothing wrong with having complex Transformations.
Silverwing wrote:Also, I feel compelled to give the obligatory: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
One for each year of the Movieverse's decade strong tenure. Here's to a few more explosive years!

Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
TulioDude
Gestalt
News Credits: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Valandar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Motto: "It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, only that you work to make it full."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Unless you want the average kid in the target market, who buys 99.9% of these figures, to be able to actually transform them without constantly referring to the instructions. Heck, some of the more recent figures -I- have to frequently double-check the instructions.

Complex and intuitive? Wonderful! Complex and "Where does this part go? Do I this bit before or after that bit?" Not so wonderful.
Valandar
Gestalt
Strength: 6
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Eagleblaster » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I agree that the movie figures are difficult to transform so its a good thing that they are planning to make transformations easier for us. Cause some figures like dead end, battle blades bumblebee and leader Optimus were ridiculous. A person like me needs the instructions and to watch some YouTube videos while tranforming just to still take a half an hour to transform it.

And lets not even mention if you get stuck between robot mode and alt mode.
Eagleblaster
Minibot

Postby gavinfuzzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Motto: "Secrets are the foundations of success"
Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
I don't mind the look and transformations of the movie stuff.

Yeah, I actually do like all the movie designs.
But Hasbro has been doing the movie / classics stuff one after another, so I guess it's only when it comes to the movie figures then they have to make it so complex.
Add me as a friend on facebook ---> http://www.facebook.com/gavinlimkj
gavinfuzzy
Godmaster
News Credits: 10
Watch gavinfuzzy on YouTube
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Skill: 7

Postby welcometothedarksyde » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Motto: "My anaconda don't..."
This article is poorly researched. Sure, when you see G1 and the Movies it's easy to conclude that Michael Bay is responsible for complex transformations. However let's not forget that complexity often runs in cycles. The G1 era was uber-simple, then came the Beast Era that had extremely complex (and occasionally frustrating) transformations. The Unicron Trilogy returned us to simplicity, then the movies again leaped the complexity. It peaked at ROTF and has simplified since.
The fact is that the article's writer only looked at the original Transformers, and then the most recent ones. He didn't bother to look at the full timeline. Actually some Beast Wars toys are infamous for their fiddly-ness (Tigerhawk), and yet we're getting hung up over ROTF Optimus Prime that is not that hard to transform. As for my opinion, I like complexity if there is a good pay-off.
welcometothedarksyde
Combiner
News Credits: 5
Watch welcometothedarksyde on YouTube

Postby kronos6948 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Complex transformations are fine as far as I'm concerned, as long as the alt mode still looks like what it's supposed to be with little to no robot kibble anywhere. Classics Ironhide is a prime example of how a complex transformation should NOT be done, imo. Too many jagged lines running through the body of the alt mode, and Ironhide ends up looking like he's walking with a bad back and can't stand up straight. Then you have the frustration of Masterpiece Megatron. Parts coming off every time you try to transform him (at least they're not breaking). From the waist up, Megs looks great, but he's got some skinny wickets. It's like they designed him to be half anime/half G1 toy. Granted, they tried to make his legs thicker, but the way they did it was too convoluted and ended up not staying properly.

Bayformers have their difficulties too, but I do have to say some of the ROTF figures look great, and get even better looking with some paint apps. Leader class Optimus Prime (after removing the blades and adding some paint) is the best of the bunch, followed by Jetfire. Speaking of Jetfire, transforming him gives me the willies. I'm always afraid I'll break a tab. I'm just glad I've only transformed him twice.
kronos6948
Mini-Con

Postby kronos6948 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Complex transformations are fine as far as I'm concerned, as long as the alt mode still looks like what it's supposed to be with little to no robot kibble anywhere. Classics Ironhide is a prime example of how a complex transformation should NOT be done, imo. Too many jagged lines running through the body of the alt mode, and Ironhide ends up looking like he's walking with a bad back and can't stand up straight. Then you have the frustration of Masterpiece Megatron. Parts coming off every time you try to transform him (at least they're not breaking). From the waist up, Megs looks great, but he's got some skinny wickets. It's like they designed him to be half anime/half G1 toy. Granted, they tried to make his legs thicker, but the way they did it was too convoluted and ended up not staying properly.

Bayformers have their difficulties too, but I do have to say some of the ROTF figures look great, and get even better looking with some paint apps. Leader class Optimus Prime (after removing the blades and adding some paint) is the best of the bunch, followed by Jetfire. Speaking of Jetfire, transforming him gives me the willies. I'm always afraid I'll break a tab. I'm just glad I've only transformed him twice.
kronos6948
Mini-Con

Postby KNM2012 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

Why is it that only Michael Bay made it complicated? The whole franchise was a combination of him and Stephen Spielberg. I remember this because they said from day 1 that there will be "no cheating" when it comes to the transformations - As in the fact that despite the fact they come from a technologically advanced race, they are not allowed to change sizes and/or specific shapes. :lol:

Besides, to this day, I still hear rumors that the Japanese (Masterpiece) MP-5 Megatron is still the most complicated toy in terms of transforming. So yeah... As long as we do not mention him to Gizmodo, they will blame him for these fugly, complicated toys. :lol:
MY TRANSFORMERS FANDOM: 1984-2013
KNM2012
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby gantzrunner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Motto: "This life is a game...and I play for keeps"
Weapon: Double Beam Guns
I love how bay gets blamed for everything lol how about Transmetals? Tell me you were able to just look at Rampage it it all made sense, or the alternators...or *shudder* RID Ultra Magnus? Not getting him to robot mode, but back to truck mode was infuriating, requiring EXACT placement of his parts. Sludgeslinger was confusing too, the way his parts rotated and reversed. All I can say is classics is perfect, prime not bad, and DOTM have to be the worst figures I ever bought hands down. I loved the first 2 movie lines (ROTF WAS insanely complex but that was fun) and I'm hoping the 4th movie line is way better than the third in terms of staying true to designs and level of complexity so I dont have as much buyers remorse this time lmao
oh yeah and :michaelbay:
gantzrunner
Minibot
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 8

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
They give Bay too much credit. Btw, I'm not a Bay hater its just that Hasbro and Paramount are the final arbiters for the new design. If Hasbro didn't approve it, then the look would habeen a lot different.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8

Postby noctorro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 am

Rated X wrote:Im probally in the minority, but I hate complex transformations. If I wanted a puzzle Id buy a Rubix Cube. If I wanted a challenge Id play todays video games. I enjoy looking at the figures displayed alot more than transforming them. I like the way classics figures transform. Nice and simple can even transform them after drinking a six pack of beer or more.

With you here.

I like simple transformations with good articulation more then complex transformations.
http://www.plasticpolygon.com
I 3d design and print! Check out my instagram http://www.instagram.com/plasticpolygon3d for some Transformers weapons if you're interested. The War for Cybertron standard machine gun is ready as well as the Armada Optimus gun (smaller) and a Robotech Gunpod.
noctorro
Gestalt Team Leader

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Studio Series 91 Revenge of ROTF Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "N.E.S.T. BONECRUSHER Transformers Studio Series 95 Buzzworthy Bumblebee Voyager"
N.E.S.T. BONECRUSH ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JOLT Transformers Studio Series 75 Deluxe ROTF Hasbro 2021 New"
JOLT Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EXO-SUIT SPIKE WITWICKY Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class 2022 230131A"
EXO-SUIT SPIKE WIT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATCHET Transformers Studio Series 82 Deluxe Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
RATCHET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 86-02 Hasbro 2022 New"
KUP Transformers B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2023 New"
IRONHIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AIRAZOR Transformers Studio Series 97 Deluxe Rise Beasts ROTB Hasbro 2023 New"
AIRAZOR Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Gamer Edition +01 Deluxe WFC 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Studio Series 86-02 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
KUP Transformers S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHEELIE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2022 New"
WHEELIE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCRAPHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-24 Animated Movie Voyager 2024 New"
SCRAPHEAP Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Dead End Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON