This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New Don Murphy interview on comics2film! Spoilers...

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

New Don Murphy interview on comics2film! Spoilers...

Postby Collector Maximus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 am

I just found this interview and it's a pretty good read actually.

It contains a lot of things we already know/knew but there is some new insight and info in there.
link:
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=27854

Seibertron's #1 Cure fan!
Collector Maximus
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Re: New Don Murphy interview on comics2film! Spoilers...

Postby Stormrider » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:46 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Collector Maximus wrote:I just found this interview and it's a pretty good read actually.

It contains a lot of things we already know/knew but there is some new insight and info in there.
link:
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=27854

Front paged and credited :D
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Autobot032 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:07 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
He's so full of sh*t. Bay clearly proved that beyond getting the ball rolling (which is important, don't get me wrong) Murphy and DeSanto really didn't add anything to this. But they sure took credit.

Murphy doesn't care about the fans wishes, he made that clear in how he treated them. On his board and others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that he did the footwork to get this started, but to pat himself on the back like he did is pure crapola.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby † Sunstorm » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:45 am

to hell with don murphy, hes only here for credits and he gives a **** about fans, he only pay attention to them to just harras them! >:(
† Sunstorm
Micromaster

Postby The Mad Asshatter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:16 am

Ah yes, Murphy the Hut.

He seems to have left out the part where he trolled and insulted the fans.
The Mad Asshatter
Combiner

Postby Blozor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:39 am

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
If he's such an active producer on the project, how could he not know that the sequel has already been greenlit? He also made it sound like Spielberg was only passingly interested when we all know that Spielberg was highly interested and worked with Bay on it more than Murphy did.

How is it that random fans on the Internet know more about his own movie than he does?
Blozor
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby The Mad Asshatter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:42 am

Blozor wrote:How is it that random fans on the Internet know more about his own movie than he does?

Because he doesn't do his job. :-$
The Mad Asshatter
Combiner

Postby Robinson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 am

Blozor wrote:If he's such an active producer on the project, how could he not know that the sequel has already been greenlit? He also made it sound like Spielberg was only passingly interested when we all know that Spielberg was highly interested and worked with Bay on it more than Murphy did.

How is it that random fans on the Internet know more about his own movie than he does?

YOu have to factor in when the interview was done. It may have not been greenlit at the time.
Robinson
Gestalt
News Credits: 11

Postby Creature SH » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:35 am

Autobot032 wrote:He's so full of sh*t. Bay clearly proved that beyond getting the ball rolling (which is important, don't get me wrong) Murphy and DeSanto really didn't add anything to this.

Wait - I know that he said it, but how did he prove it ?
Creature SH
Targetmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:43 am

To me, it didn't really look so much like he was taking credit for what he didn't do as it was the interviewer there was throwing credit his way, & he was just giving input as to what his part was in the whole mess, & then just telling a bit of what goes into the movie-making process.

The guy is still an asshat, though.
Nemesis Cyberplex
Headmaster

Postby machinegeist » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:09 am

I also find it funny that he called Bonecrusher, Barricade.
machinegeist
Mini-Con

Postby Liege Evilmus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Don't ask me why, but I don't like this guy. Even without him, we all still would have petitioned for Peter Cullens.

If he realy did care about more than his paycheck, I think he would have gone the distance and put a firmer foot down on alot of the design issues, and other little neuances in this still very good film.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:06 pm

I thought that the opening sequence was the cube, and not Cybertron. I thought we only saw Cybertron when Prime Holomatters it to show Sam and Mikheala.

Still not impressed with the childish and arrogant behaviour of Murphy throughout the process, he should consider himself lucky that ILM did such a good job with such bad robot designs, or he would be hard pressed to find another job.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Grimshock » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Agree with all of ya. And, disagree with Murphy on so many things, especially Bumblebee. I'm still quite pissed that he's a muscle car. It's a big part of why I'm not going to see this movie. That, and all the other design choices.
Grimshock
Minibot

Postby Damolisher » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Yeah, what an arse. I still hold a grudge over the way he treated me when I was merely sticking up for this place.
Damolisher
Brainmaster

Postby Renne » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Don Murphy wrote:Murphy: Well, from the very beginning I had a message board on my website, and the design was to interact with the fans because I absolutely cared what they thought.

You "absolutely cared" so much you called people asses for having opinions.

What a tosser.
Vast.
Renne
Fuzor

Postby NightFall » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:25 am

Why is this guy given the time of day....still?
NightFall
Headmaster Jr

Postby Autobot032 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:54 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
You know, once the movie starting rolling (commercials, trailers and whatnot) there was nothing even noticeable about Murphy or DeSanto out there. (In the credits, yes, but it flashed so fast...)

I give DeSanto a little more credit. He at least went on AOTS and answered some questions, even if he still isn't worth much.

Murphy just sits around with a baseball bat, waiting for the next person to "diss" him.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby The Mad Asshatter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 am

Autobot032 wrote:Murphy just sits around with a baseball bat, waiting for the next person to "diss" him.

That and he probably hogged the set lunches for himself.
The Mad Asshatter
Combiner

Postby Phenotype » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Grimshock wrote:Agree with all of ya. And, disagree with Murphy on so many things, especially Bumblebee. I'm still quite pissed that he's a muscle car. It's a big part of why I'm not going to see this movie. That, and all the other design choices.

Dude, get out of 1984. You're not even going to see the movie? That's pretty close-minded if you ask me. Just give it a chance, you might really enjoy it.
Phenotype
Vehicon

Postby Damolisher » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Wow, Bumblebee's a muscle car. If THAT'S your reason for not going to see that movie, you need help.
Damolisher
Brainmaster

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Phenotype wrote:
Grimshock wrote:Agree with all of ya. And, disagree with Murphy on so many things, especially Bumblebee. I'm still quite pissed that he's a muscle car. It's a big part of why I'm not going to see this movie. That, and all the other design choices.

Dude, get out of 1984. You're not even going to see the movie? That's pretty close-minded if you ask me. Just give it a chance, you might really enjoy it.
Why is it that when someone has an opinion against something, they're instantly labeled as closed-minded? seems kinda closed-minded to me to think that you have to agree with every new idea that comes along without any reguard to past ideas, customs, or traditions.... :-?

Anywho...I really didn't like the idea of it either, untill you see the 2 sitting side-by-side, like they did in the movie. The bug looks bad...real bad....but then again, the bug in the movie, being banged up & craptastic as it is, is meant to make the bug look bad. The new design isn't really that bad, but it is made to be different than the original. For what it is, it's pretty cool. The movie Bumblebee is meant to be a namesake & an homage, but that's about it. If you like that, fine, if not.....hope along with others that they make some new form of video media made specifically for G1 fans similar to the Marvel direct-to DVD movies being made as of late....because it's probably either gonna be that or unfortunately you'll just have to stick to G1 in all of it's spectacular yet 20-years cancelled glory.

& people, be considerate of others' opinions. IIRC, being "stuck in 1984" was prefectly acceptable for a transfan to be untill Bay came along & said, " Yeah, it's crap....my stuff's better." Not to mention, apparently Hasbro is stuck in the 80's too, because most of the movie toys' repaints/remolds are designed to make them look like their G1 counterparts (Ratchet, Starscream, & Jazz at least).

Anywho...I'm gonna go play the TF 360 game now...
Nemesis Cyberplex
Headmaster

Postby chrisguyver » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Phenotype wrote:

;)^
chrisguyver
Mini-Con

Postby Nightracer GT » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
Liege Evilmus wrote:Don't ask me why, but I don't like this guy. Even without him, we all still would have petitioned for Peter Cullens.

It's attitudes like this that are the reason Murphy was a dick to us on the boards. You do realize that all he did was ask for our input and used what he could.

Without him, there would have been no Peter Cullen. Accept it. Yes, we would have petitioned. And it would have been as successful, and taken as seriously, as that petition to rename The Two Towers because it was disrespectful to 9/11 victims.

We are **** on the heels of Hollywood. Almost everyone I talk to about this movie, right after saying how cool it looks, badmouths "the fanboys".

As much of a dick as we was, we owe him one for getting the sheer awesomeness of the true Optimus Prime on the big screen.
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
Nightracer GT
Headmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Goldmine for Murphy

Postby nurex » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 pm

I agree with many of you guys but that's the way Hollywood works. In a way, he was the first one to find out that a Transformers movie (and maybe the trilogy) is a goldmine. He was willing to risk it and he reaps the rewards.

Hollywood studios have no ideas that is why they rely on outside people. If a movie tanks, then people like Murphy are to blame and those studio Executvies keep their jobs, even the Junior Executives.

Even if Murphy did not thank you, I do. I liked the movie but I think all of you guys contributed ideas to Mr. Murphy's website that made this movie possible. Thank you all for your contributions. :grin:

P.S. I think the biggest design flaws were some of the faces on the transformers. There was very little facial expression to discern their emotions. And, some of those insect-like faces would have served better on the Insecticons ---sorry Bumblebee. I guess body language would have to play a bigger role in the next movie.
nurex
Mini-Con

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALL-STAR COMICS #3 Facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC267"
ALL-STAR COMICS #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BRAVE AND THE BOLD #54 Facsimile Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 54B (CA) Blank Sketch"
NEW!
BRAVE AND THE BOLD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #255 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 ptg FEB240720 (CA) Frenz"
NEW!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 ptg JAN240732 (CA) Buscema"
NEW!
WOLVERINE #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALL-STAR COMICS #3 Facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 0923DC266 (CA) EE Hibbard"
ALL-STAR COMICS #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile var foil Marvel Comics 2024 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile var 1:50 Marvel Comics 2024 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 OCT230973 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALL-STAR COMICS #3 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC265 (CA) EE Hibbard"
ALL-STAR COMICS #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ADVENTURE COMICS #260 Facsimile Cvr B blank sketch DC Comics 2023 0923DC264"
ADVENTURE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "X-MEN #101 Facsimile 2023 ptg Marvel Comics MAY230703  (CA) Cockrum (W)Claremont"
X-MEN #101 Facsimi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MICRONAUTS #1 Facsimile var BLANK SKETCH Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230683 (W) Mantlo"
MICRONAUTS #1 Facs ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #411 Facsimile Cvr C Foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 0124DC163 Adams"
NEW!
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC268 5A (CA) Kane (W) Finger"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Skywarp Figure" on AMAZON