This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

The Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson Goes Full Megatron in ESPN Promo

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

The Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson Goes Full Megatron in ESPN Promo

Postby El Duque » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
The Detroits Lions's Calvin "Megatron" Johnson transforms in the latest ESPN promo embedded below. Not quite the same alt mode as the evil Decepticon leader, but great to hiding around the office! Check it out below!

Big thanks to my friend and sport enthusiast Bryan Martin for pointing this one out!

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: The Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson Goes Full Megatron in ESPN Promo

Postby rdrunr89 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 am

Not a Lions fan by any means (Bears here, say what you will) but that was the funniest SportsCenter commercial I've seen. Even Stuart Scott got it perfect with the "WTF" facial expression. Good stuff. :APPLAUSE:

Ranks up there with the old one where one of the SC announcers was trying to come up with a saying when a guy hit a home run. He would say stuff like "It's gotta be a Homer, Simpson because the pitcher just went 'DOH'!"
rdrunr89
Mini-Con
News Credits: 1
Buy from rdrunr89 on eBay

Postby Dead Metal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
lol, love stuff like this ^-^

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby MGrotusque » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am

Not bad. Simple and funny.
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Megatron Wolf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
thank you espn for using the correct sound effects, on another note im not 100% sure but on the new nike commercial with him i think hes wearing a decepticon symbol.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby EagleTron » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Motto: "I laugh out loud for no reason at all after I have won a Great Battle. The very last Bot Standing!"
Weapon: Gamma-Ray Laser Cannons
I approve this tv commercial That was indeed proper usage of the legendary transformers transformation sound.
Optimus: The Decepticons are a species of life just like us Autobots. They deserve a choice.
Bumblebee: You are rite Optimus, your compassion and courage is what makes you a great leader, bearer of the matrix.
Grimlock: I will Crush the Decepticons, I will Destroy, Dinobots transform, I'm ready for anything, Attaaaaack, No survivorsssssss.
EagleTron
Minibot
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 6
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 9

Postby Boom.stick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 pm

rdrunr89 wrote:Not a Lions fan by any means (Bears here, say what you will) but that was the funniest SportsCenter commercial I've seen. Even Stuart Scott got it perfect with the "WTF" facial expression. Good stuff. :APPLAUSE:

Ranks up there with the old one where one of the SC announcers was trying to come up with a saying when a guy hit a home run. He would say stuff like "It's gotta be a Homer, Simpson because the pitcher just went 'DOH'!"

Ah yes, one of my favorites. "Its never iffy if its Griffey" and the classic "YAHTZEE!!"
Boom.stick
Mini-Con

Postby stevescustoms » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Eagles fan here. I liked the commercial.
stevescustoms
Mini-Con

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 am

One more thing that saddens me about where Hasbro and the fandom are taking Transformers. This is honestly the dumbest and most insulting thing I have ever seen Hasbro do to this toyline. Of all the people who have put in DECADES of time, talent, enthusiasm, love, and literally sweated for these life inspiring figures; how does some new ~sissy rugby~ player get a Megatron toy painted after him? He has nothing to do with Transformers and does nothing for society, he plays with a ball; a child's game. Then here comes ESPN and fans thinking this is awesome, settling for whatever lame thing gets thrown at them, all the while associating ~sissy rugby~ players once again with things on the side of the corrupt. Megatron is the most renowned villain ever created. He doesn't carry balls in his hands... he kills worlds. So arming a Megatron toy with a ~sissy rugby~ ball is just damn wrong. I just can't comprehend the lazy, lame things that come out of what could be the coolest toy line in history.

How about instead you do something for the likes of:

http://www.allspark.com/

http://www.seibertron.com/

http://tformers.com/

http://www.tfw2005.com/

you know, people that kill themselves for your brand who are renowned for their tireless effort. You want a prime example, how about a Seiberton theme colored Primus toy that says "Transforms from robot into Seibertron.Com" on all over the box?

This has nothing to do with me, nor am I in any way thinking of myself. But I could never count the number of writers, artists, convention planners, panel organizers, devoted cosplayers or the like who could deserve something like this 1000 times more.

I do not get it, or want to understand it people. Please, feel free to let the bashing begin.
No One
Vehicon
News Credits: 3
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby njb902 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:42 am

MR Optimus Prime wrote:One more thing that saddens me about where Hasbro and the fandom are taking Transformers. This is honestly the dumbest and most insulting thing I have ever seen Hasbro do to this toyline. Of all the people who have put in DECADES of time, talent, enthusiasm, love, and literally sweated for these life inspiring figures; how does some new ~sissy rugby~ player get a Megatron toy painted after him? He has nothing to do with Transformers and does nothing for society, he plays with a ball; a child's game. Then here comes ESPN and fans thinking this is awesome, settling for whatever lame thing gets thrown at them, all the while associating ~sissy rugby~ players once again with things on the side of the corrupt. Megatron is the most renowned villain ever created. He doesn't carry balls in his hands... he kills worlds. So arming a Megatron toy with a ~sissy rugby~ ball is just damn wrong. I just can't comprehend the lazy, lame things that come out of what could be the coolest toy line in history.

you know, people that kill themselves for your brand who are renowned for their tireless effort. You want a prime example, how about a Seiberton theme colored Primus toy that says "Transforms from robot into Seibertron.Com" on all over the box?

This has nothing to do with me, nor am I in any way thinking of myself. But I could never count the number of writers, artists, convention planners, panel organizers, devoted cosplayers or the like who could deserve something like this 1000 times more.

I do not get it, or want to understand it people. Please, feel free to let the bashing begin.

Dude they are just toys.
njb902
Gestalt

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:39 am

njb902 wrote:
MR Optimus Prime wrote:One more thing that saddens me about where Hasbro and the fandom are taking Transformers. This is honestly the dumbest and most insulting thing I have ever seen Hasbro do to this toyline. Of all the people who have put in DECADES of time, talent, enthusiasm, love, and literally sweated for these life inspiring figures; how does some new ~sissy rugby~ player get a Megatron toy painted after him? He has nothing to do with Transformers and does nothing for society, he plays with a ball; a child's game. Then here comes ESPN and fans thinking this is awesome, settling for whatever lame thing gets thrown at them, all the while associating ~sissy rugby~ players once again with things on the side of the corrupt. Megatron is the most renowned villain ever created. He doesn't carry balls in his hands... he kills worlds. So arming a Megatron toy with a ~sissy rugby~ ball is just damn wrong. I just can't comprehend the lazy, lame things that come out of what could be the coolest toy line in history.

Dude they are just toys.

It's just an opinion.
No One
Vehicon

Postby Burn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Hey I'm not fan of this either but geez, no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 am

Burn wrote:Hey I'm not fan of this either but geez, no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

Why not, it's downright horrid. No one is ranting, it took a while to type that. It's just an opinion.
No One
Vehicon

Postby Roadbuster » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:06 am

Having an opinion is one thing, but you are making a bigger deal out of it like it's a personal attack on you. It was all in good fun. Johnson's a fan in his own way. Let him have his fun.
Roadbuster
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 6

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 am

Roadbuster wrote:Having an opinion is one thing, but you are making a bigger deal out of it like it's a personal attack on you. It was all in good fun. Johnson's a fan in his own way. Let him have his fun.

So the part where I specifically typed it isn't about me, and in reply to another poster where I typed it took a while to type it and was not a rant, are the parts you missed it not being an attack on me, along with me typing three times now it's just an opinion?

You all are getting YOUR feelings hurt here not me.
No One
Vehicon

Postby njb902 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 am

I'm paraphrasing here "we play with an action figure; a child's toy." How are we any less children? What makes him a "sissy"? Who are any of us to decide who isn't part of the fandom?
njb902
Gestalt

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 am

njb902 wrote:I'm paraphrasing here "we play with an action figure; a child's toy." How are we any less children? What makes him a "sissy"? Who are any of us to decide who isn't part of the fandom?

I didn't or wouldn't call him a sissy, as I don't know him. I have a thing about calling american football ~sissy Rugby~ that's all. We took the world's most popular sport and changed it's name to soccer, then called a form of Rugby, football.
No One
Vehicon

Postby T-Macksimus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am

MR Optimus Prime wrote:
njb902 wrote:I'm paraphrasing here "we play with an action figure; a child's toy." How are we any less children? What makes him a "sissy"? Who are any of us to decide who isn't part of the fandom?

I didn't or wouldn't call him a sissy, as I don't know him. I have a thing about calling american football ~sissy Rugby~ that's all. We took the world's most popular sport and changed it's name to soccer, then called a form of Rugby, football.

I may not agree with your opinion (strongly, truth be told) and Primus knows I'm one of the biggest cynical types on here and the first the be a prick towards people on any given day but I will stand up for your right to express your opinion. Freedom (of Speech) is the right of all sentient beings.

Seriously folks, lay off him. He's said his bit, we've had responses, now move along.
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt

Postby njb902 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:15 am

T-Macksimus wrote:
MR Optimus Prime wrote:

I may not agree with your opinion (strongly, truth be told) and Primus knows I'm one of the biggest cynical types on here and the first the be a prick towards people on any given day but I will stand up for your right to express your opinion. Freedom (of Speech) is the right of all sentient beings.

Seriously folks, lay off him. He's said his bit, we've had responses, now move along.

I'm not laying into him, I'm trying to understand why he wrote what he wrote.
njb902
Gestalt

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 am

Hey NO worries from anyone here. Yes I get defensive over this toy brand. Always have, always will. Just how the old man is.
No One
Vehicon

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 pm

You guys leave MR Optimus Prime alone, he is the greatest legend in this fandom and he knows exactly what is kiddy and stupid and he's always super level headed. I mean after all he changed his name legally to Optimus Prime and he totally didn't go completely insane and call this site a disgrace to the legend that is Optimus Prime when it used a pic of Optimus Prime's death from the movie during the great blackout a while back.

So a little more respect, if he says this is the worst that has every happened to the brand and it's a disgrace and disgusting it must be true.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby No One » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Dead Metal wrote:You guys leave MR Optimus Prime alone, he is the greatest legend in this fandom and he knows exactly what is kiddy and stupid and he's always super level headed. I mean after all he changed his name legally to Optimus Prime and he totally didn't go completely insane and call this site a disgrace to the legend that is Optimus Prime when it used a pic of Optimus Prime's death from the movie during the great blackout a while back.

So a little more respect, if he says this is the worst that has every happened to the brand and it's a disgrace and disgusting it must be true.

I wish I could tell people like you to go F.U.C.K...Y.O.U.R.S.E.L.F. face to face.
No One
Vehicon

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm

MR Optimus Prime wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:You guys leave MR Optimus Prime alone, he is the greatest legend in this fandom and he knows exactly what is kiddy and stupid and he's always super level headed. I mean after all he changed his name legally to Optimus Prime and he totally didn't go completely insane and call this site a disgrace to the legend that is Optimus Prime when it used a pic of Optimus Prime's death from the movie during the great blackout a while back.

I wish I could tell people like you to go F.U.C.K...Y.O.U.R.S.E.L.F. face to face.

Why? It's only an opinion. ;;)

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby Bed Bugs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Motto: "The Bigger The Buffet, The Better!"
Weapon: Black Magic
Things that ruined Transformers forever:

Transformers The Movie
Transformers G1 Season 3
Transformers Japanese Series
Transformers: Generation 2
Beast Wars
Beast Machines
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
Dreamwave Comics
3H OTFCC
Transformers: Armada
Transformers: Energon
Transformers: Cybertron
Transformers: Kiss Players
Transformers Movie (2007)
Transformers: Animated
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Prime
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Calvin Johnson inspired Megatron repaint

Yes, by far, that was the greatest offense on this brand. ;)
Botcon: The Legacy Collection
Bed Bugs
Gestalt
News Credits: 349
Alt Mode: A Bed Bug
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Burn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Fender Bender wrote:Things that ruined Transformers forever:

Transformers The Movie
Transformers G1 Season 3
Transformers Japanese Series
Transformers: Generation 2
Beast Wars
Beast Machines
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
Dreamwave Comics
3H OTFCC
Transformers: Armada
Transformers: Energon
Transformers: Cybertron
Transformers: Kiss Players
Transformers Movie (2007)
Transformers: Animated
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Prime
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Calvin Johnson inspired Megatron repaint

Yes, by far, that was the greatest offense on this brand. ;)

You forgot Michael Bay individually. >:oP
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #10 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 JAN210225 10C (CA) Adams +McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207A"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #78 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 1023IM396 78C (CA) Williams III"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #17 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 DEC220239 17B (CA) Tomaselli"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #18 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAR230182 18B (CA) Renaud (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #18 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KILLADELPHIA #34 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 1223IM296 34A (CA) Alexander (W) Barnes"
NEW!
KILLADELPHIA #34 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr H 1:100 foil Image Comics 2023 0823IM293 1H Bertram 231207B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cvr F DC Image Comics 2022 OCT223273 1F (CA) Campbell"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 MAY230290 2A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SAVAGE DRAGON #266 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 MAR230178 266A (W/A/CA) Larsen"
SAVAGE DRAGON #266 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:50 Image Comics 2024 2E GI JOE 1123IM276 (CA) Dragotta"
DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:50 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN Classic Collection HC DC Image Comics 2022 JUL228083 (CA) Capullo"
BATMAN SPAWN Class ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEGAN LIVES #1 2nd ptg Bronze variant Image Comics 2020 JUN208297 (A/CA) Adlard"
NEGAN LIVES #1 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #7 Cvr A Image Comics 2022 APR220233 7A (CA) Aguillo (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #7 Cvr A ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Trailbreaker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON