This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex vs. Hasbro Metroplex Comparison Images

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex vs. Hasbro Metroplex Comparison Images

Postby El Duque » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:43 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Still having trouble deciding between Hasbro's Titan Class Metroplex and Takara Tomy's TG-23 Metroplex? TF Yuki has tweeted some images of the two side by side. The Takara Tomy version sports some additional painted details, a chromed face, and comes with an extra large red gun, but are these differences enough to merit the additional import costs? Check out the images mirrored below.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Takara Tomy TG-23 Metroplex vs. Hasbro Metroplex Comparison Images

Postby GuyIncognito » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 am

I think the dark "runways" on the Hasbro version look way better.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
News Credits: 12
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Postby MagnetarPrime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:55 am

Motto: "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Carl Sagan"
When Metroplex was first announced I could not wait to add him to my collection and I wanted to get both Hasbro and Takara :grin: , I already have the Hasbro version and now just waiting for my Metroplex Takara pre-order to arrive soon :michaelbay:
MagnetarPrime
Minibot
Watch MagnetarPrime on YouTube
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby SJ21 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Wow. When I got the Hasbro version of this guy I thought to myself "he looks kind of bland."

Now seeing the comparison shots, I was wrong. The Takara one looks downright boring.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Godmaster
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Gearslide » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 am

Motto: "Go with the flow"
Weapon: No Weapon
Kind of an unfair comparison, considering that the Hasbro version doesn't seem to have it's stickers applied...

Still, Takara's looks a little better in Robot mode, but the Hasbro version looks WAY better in both city and vehicle modes.
Gearslide
Combiner
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 1
Skill: 9

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Gearslide wrote:Kind of an unfair comparison, considering that the Hasbro version doesn't seem to have it's stickers applied...
Neither of them do.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 435
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby megatronus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I have a Hasbro Metroplex on preorder at BBTS, but I still think there's a reasonable chance he'll end up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's in 6 months for $50. :ic$:

Hopefully that's where my 2nd and 3rd versions come in, so I can display in all 3 modes, and make sure robot 'Plex gets two (or 3!) red guns!! :DANCE:

I was thinking about getting Takara's 'Plex, but I figure all the sticker sets slated to come out (ennes, reprolabels, etc.) will remedy the overly white torso/upper thighs that plague Hasbro's version.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby Gearslide » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

Motto: "Go with the flow"
Weapon: No Weapon
Sabrblade wrote:
Gearslide wrote:Kind of an unfair comparison, considering that the Hasbro version doesn't seem to have it's stickers applied...
Neither of them do.

I thought the Takara version didn't come with stickers? I thought it was all paint apps on it.
Gearslide
Combiner
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 1

Postby Rated X » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:45 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
The white runways on the Takara version make it look like a KO. I pity the fool who spent 150 bucks just to get a 2nd gun. Ill buy that 3rd party gun coming out.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Gearslide wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Neither of them do.

I thought the Takara version didn't come with stickers? I thought it was all paint apps on it.
It has both. Some of the same stickers as Hasbro's, and some paint apps either replacing the other Hasbro stickers or just adding color to where their was none on Hasbro's.

For instance, the red stripe on his left torso is a sticker on Hasbro's, but painted on Takara's. While the orange circles on his shoulders are painted on painted on Takara's, but are left uncolored completely on Hasbro's.

Yet, both versions have stickers for their runway arrows.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 435
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Firepower: 7

Postby Mindmaster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Takara's Metroplex wins in robot mode. Hasbro's Metroplex steals tge show with his vehicle and base modes. I'll still probably end up going for the Hasbro release over Takara's due to funds.
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby Metrosuplex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:32 am

Motto: ""Nothing so liberates the heart as when a fool awakens from his folly.""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Gearslide wrote:Still, Takara's looks a little better in Robot mode, but the Hasbro version looks WAY better in both city and vehicle modes.

Ehhh, I don't really see how Takara is better in any way. If you live in Japan, sure, get the cheaper Takara one locally. But for everyone else, I only see a chrome face as the primary difference. Really, a lazy job by Takara, IMO. >:oP

megatronus wrote:I have a Hasbro Metroplex on preorder at BBTS, but I still think there's a reasonable chance he'll end up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's in 6 months for $50. :ic$:

Hopefully that's where my 2nd and 3rd versions come in, so I can display in all 3 modes, and make sure robot 'Plex gets two (or 3!) red guns!! :DANCE:

I was thinking about getting Takara's 'Plex, but I figure all the sticker sets slated to come out (ennes, reprolabels, etc.) will remedy the overly white torso/upper thighs that plague Hasbro's version.

+1. All 3 modes in display would be nice - I'm torn between city and robot modes. I'd love to use him as I originally wanted: a base for my legions. But then again, he realy looks best in Robot mode (although, I'm not sure how anyone has a shelf or display stand that can support a 2 ft tall robo! :roll: ).

The 3rd party labels will be nice... but I'm putting on my Hasbro labels, so... what do I do later? I hope it doesn't involve peeling off Hasbro stickers to apply new ones... screw that noise. I'd rather do some custom painting - mud splashes, rust, battle damage.

$50 'Plex in TJ Marshaxx.... hmmm... :-? No. Not seeing it happen.
1) Metro will probably have a limited production run to begin with (i.e. BBTS STILL doesn't have it in stock)

2) As far as I know, only TRU is carrying this guy locally. Maybe Target will later, but that's an unknown. TRU does not sell inventory to the discounters as often as Target or other stores presumably do - I guess I have no concrete basis for this statement, other than how TRU seems to carry 5 yr old toys with no discounts. Or, for a better example, look at their $250 Millenium Falcon - only recently "dropped" to $199.98, AND still a no-show at discounters. I think Metro will be like that - possibly a small drop @ TRU, but highly unlikely as a discount store toy.

3) As far as I know, the discount stores do not carry toys worth $100+ originally. Like I said, I think those have a smaller production run and never make it to discount stores.

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. The problem is if Metro hits $50 (and we will most likely know by Black Friday/Thanksgiving, at earliest), you can bet your @$$ he will be sunspot hot and will not last in stores for more than a few seconds - every scalper on this side of the universe will swoop in on him with divine fury.

Ergo, buy him while he's available now (hopefully with coupon), cause IMO he won't be easy to find at a discount store.
Words from the wise:
GuyIncognito - "MetroSUplex, do you understand inflation? I'm guessing not."
Metrosuplex
Combiner
Intelligence: 9
Firepower: 8

Postby Nemesis Destron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 am

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
megatronus wrote:I have a Hasbro Metroplex on preorder at BBTS, but I still think there's a reasonable chance he'll end up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's in 6 months for $50. :ic$:

I doubt that will come to pass but what trip it will be if it does. :P

I think Takara's Metro does a better homage to the G1 and I really dig his center chest than that of Hasbro's. :VEHI:
Nemesis Destron
Gestalt
News Credits: 2

Postby megatronus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 am

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Metrosuplex wrote:Ehhh, I don't really see how Takara is better in any way. If you live in Japan, sure, get the cheaper Takara one locally. But for everyone else, I only see a chrome face as the primary difference. Really, a lazy job by Takara, IMO. >:oP

The painted details & extra gun are the main attractions for me, not the chromed face. It's hard to see those painted details in pics because there's so much 'Plex - the apps get lost. But they're there, and look great. Just not great enough to pay $120 more.

Metrosuplex wrote:$50 'Plex in TJ Marshaxx.... hmmm... :-? No. Not seeing it happen.
1) Metro will probably have a limited production run to begin with (i.e. BBTS STILL doesn't have it in stock)

2) As far as I know, only TRU is carrying this guy locally. Maybe Target will later, but that's an unknown. TRU does not sell inventory to the discounters as often as Target or other stores presumably do - I guess I have no concrete basis for this statement, other than how TRU seems to carry 5 yr old toys with no discounts. Or, for a better example, look at their $250 Millenium Falcon - only recently "dropped" to $199.98, AND still a no-show at discounters. I think Metro will be like that - possibly a small drop @ TRU, but highly unlikely as a discount store toy.

3) As far as I know, the discount stores do not carry toys worth $100+ originally. Like I said, I think those have a smaller production run and never make it to discount stores.

1) I think BBTS is working on their restock/second shipment - correct me if I'm wrong, but they already had a huge quantity in. Unless that was only for SDCC?

2) It's not a TRU exclusive; it may show up elsewhere, as you say. But, regardless of that, discounters like T.J Maxx & Marshall's buy product directly from manufacturers. It's a matter of whether Hasbro can sell its stock to other retailers first. If not, it may show up at a discounter.

3) I'm not sure Millenium Falcon is a great example - it's more than twice as expensive as 'Plex, and the box is 6 times larger. That presents a lot of challenges. That said, I've seen expensive playsets and figures show up at discounters - that's how I got my Cybertron Primus (!). And that was 6 or 7 years ago. Since then, the discounters have shown greater willingness to expand their toy departments and buy Transformers outright, as evidenced by their Black Friday pushing of movie figures.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, or even likely. But "reasonable chance" is, I think, a good descriptor. ;)

Metrosuplex wrote:But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. The problem is if Metro hits $50 (and we will most likely know by Black Friday/Thanksgiving, at earliest), you can bet your @$$ he will be sunspot hot and will not last in stores for more than a few seconds - every scalper on this side of the universe will swoop in on him with divine fury.

Ergo, buy him while he's available now (hopefully with coupon), cause IMO he won't be easy to find at a discount store.

That's why I'm getting one now! :x

Thank goodness there are 3 T.J. Maxx's and 3 Marshall's in the are I frequent. If he shows up there, I'm gonna know it.

:michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby Deathscythetransform » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 pm

I'M F-ing glad I grabbed the hasbro version. :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE:

he's way better than the takara version! :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN:
Deathscythetransform
Minibot
Watch Deathscythetransform on YouTube

Postby frogbat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
i just got my hasbro version and i'm reaaaaally digging him. It's like xmas 1987 again. Besides already costing an arm and a leg due to importation... I wouldn't have been able to afford the takara version. But honestly the only thing I like better is the 2nd gun, the rest doesn't do it for me. I am disappointed to find a paint splash from the open shoulder helipad going over the breast missile.

My main comparisons are with the original g1 toy... obviously as you'd expect the new guy does lots better but I feel something were better executed on the g1 version. These include the hidden should cannons, the arms that shorten and the car ramp. The g1 version also had a car launching mechanism. The hands not hiding away doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I now actually want to buy a couple of legends figures to go with him...
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Intelligence: 7
Firepower: 5

Postby dragons » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm

People tell me they wouldnt buy metroplex hes to big to put anywhere but hes sold out at toysrus when we get him in stock
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Arctorro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
megatronus wrote:1) I think BBTS is working on their restock/second shipment - correct me if I'm wrong, but they already had a huge quantity in. Unless that was only for SDCC?
I've had the retail version in hand for some time now and he was purchased from BBTS. They must've got, at least, a small shipment of him and are restocking.

william-james88 wrote:So that would also be the case for Predaking, who is also six members.
Arctorro
Godmaster
News Credits: 10
Speed: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Postby xyl360 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah, this definitely didn't change my mind about getting the Takara version. The preorder stays.

I must admit that the Hasbro version looks way better in carrier mode though as those dark runways look far better than the plain white ones on the Takara version, at least in these photos they do. Of course, he's staying in bot mode on my shelf so the alt modes aren't really a factor in which one I'm getting.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
xyl360
City Commander
News Credits: 2

Postby stevescustoms » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:05 pm

I think they both look great. I however, like the Hasbro version better for a change.
stevescustoms
Mini-Con

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 230427A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon OFFICIAL TRADING CARDS Pack 2011 Hasbro New DOTM"
Transformers Dark ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LA15 GRIMLOCK Transformers Lost Age Extinction AOE Takara Power Battlers New"
LA15 GRIMLOCK Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEMOLISHOR Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109T"
NEW!
DEMOLISHOR Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Age Extinction Legion Class Movie AOE 2014 New 220427A"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Flip Change DRIFT Transformers Age Extinction Robots Disguise AOE 2014 210930A"
Flip Change DRIFT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Age Extinction One-Step complete AOE Hasbro 2014"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 220420A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers HD-DVD Movie 2007 Two-Disc Special Edition Set starring LaBeouf+Fox"
Transformers HD-DV ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Movie 2007 Burger King Kid's Meal Fast Food Premium 2007"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Robot Heroes OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Movie Series Revenge Fallen ROTF 211023A"
Robot Heroes OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS (variant) Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Deluxe complete + more 221013A"
SKIDS (variant) Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE FALLEN Transformers Revenge Fallen ROTF Voyager complete Hasbro 2009 240109R"
NEW!
THE FALLEN Transfo ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Hot Rod and Firedrive" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside and Blunderbuss" on AMAZON