This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Michael Bay Talks Transformers Sequel and More

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Postby Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:07 pm

Buttz wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:
Buttz wrote:ah crap. I hope he goes and does one of the "couple things... on the horizon" and they hire someone- ANYONE - else for the sequel.

Your opinion is wrong.

The movie kicked ass.

Thousands of Transformers fans at BotCon and around the world are in support of my statement (See above).

Millions of dollars have been made in like, oh, two days, which also goes a long way to saying your opinion is wrong.

Credit where credit is due.

Bay made an excellent movie and did the Transformers modern day justice.

The same could be said of Episode 1 when it came out. But now that time has passed and reality has sunk in, not even the most die-hard fan can justify Jar Jar.

I can. It was an alien species from the gungan planet that spoke in a manner other than what we are used to seeing. Plain and simple. Not everything has to be so complex that it riddles the mind.
Robinson
Gestalt
News Credits: 11

Postby Rodimus_Prime13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:07 pm

"bay didnt write the script, bay has nothing to do with the underdevelopment of characters"

This is not true. The Director decides what gets cut. Along with the Producers to some degree.

I have rarely seen a Scriptwriter pleased with the end resault of what happens to a movie after the time limit of how long a movie is allowed to be gets imposed.
Rodimus_Prime13
Micromaster

Postby Rodimus_Prime13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:10 pm

"You mean this batman movie?"

No, I mean the movie with Micheal Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

But that movie was accurate to what the comic book was like at the time.
Rodimus_Prime13
Micromaster

Postby Briggs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:11 pm

1337W422102 wrote:If he wants to direct, fine. Just cut the goddamn shakycam already! What the hell's the point of having such detailed characters if you can't even see them fighting clearly?

THat was pretty much my only issue.

But again, wel, for me atleast, maybe it was cheaper to make that sorta shot then it was to show a longer, or bigger scene of them fighting (even if Bay does like to shoot stuff like that)

Still though, I wanted to see more full bot on bot action, not just someones fist and someones chest plate or something.. haha.. but oh well. In the end I don't care. I just wanted to see Ironhide transform.
Briggs
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Rodimus_Prime13 wrote:"You mean this batman movie?"

No, I mean the movie with Micheal Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

But that movie was accurate to what the comic book was like at the time.

I was being sarcastic :grin:
Last edited by Robinson on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robinson
Gestalt

Postby Rodimus_Prime13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 pm

I tottally agree with Briggs. The action was almost impossible to keep track of. Some people think this lead to a "Wow, so much action" reaction.

Instead it makes you think "What the hell just happend? Am I in a bottle?"
Rodimus_Prime13
Micromaster

Postby Maju Garzett » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:16 pm

Shadowman wrote:No, no it was not. To think anyone would ever take such a ridiculous concept such as this seriously, is madness.

Madness?... THIS IS SPARTA!!

Seriously, like Seibs said a couple of days ago, anyone who thinks that Transformers exist for another reason except to make money is sadly mistaken. So they would never take something serious that's doing fine as it is.
Maju Garzett
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Re: One more thing I forgot to add.

Postby Briggs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:16 pm

Rodimus_Prime13 wrote:
Optimus Prime is the major light of this movie. He is the only character that was at least a shadow of himself.

Ohhhh I don't know if I agree with that. I can look at each movie autobot and see STRONG resemblances in characterization to their G1 counterparts (which mind you, they didn't HAVE to do, but they did, and i assume they did it for us, as we are the only people who are going to remember that Ironhide was headstrong, Ratchet was a nerd, Bumblebee was heroic and hung out with spike, and Jazz was mr smooth cool guy who didnt have much to do with actual *jazz*, but with whatever music was cool in that decade)

In the end, to each his own i suppose.
Briggs
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Buttz wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:
Buttz wrote:ah crap. I hope he goes and does one of the "couple things... on the horizon" and they hire someone- ANYONE - else for the sequel.

Your opinion is wrong.

The movie kicked ass.

Thousands of Transformers fans at BotCon and around the world are in support of my statement (See above).

Millions of dollars have been made in like, oh, two days, which also goes a long way to saying your opinion is wrong.

Credit where credit is due.

Bay made an excellent movie and did the Transformers modern day justice.

The same could be said of Episode 1 when it came out. But now that time has passed and reality has sunk in, not even the most die-hard fan can justify Jar Jar.

So, if one movie is good, future movies aren't allowed to improve?

What you said really has no relevance. I'd love it if Transformers 2 or 3 was better than 1. Why shouldn't I?

That wouldn't mean that the first movie didn't rock as well.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Rodimus_Prime13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:23 pm

"Ohhhh I don't know if I agree with that. I can look at each movie autobot and see STRONG resemblances in characterization to their G1 counterparts (which mind you, they didn't HAVE to do, but they did, and i assume they did it for us, as we are the only people who are going to remember that Ironhide was headstrong, Ratchet was a nerd, Bumblebee was heroic and hung out with spike, and Jazz was mr smooth cool guy who didnt have much to do with actual *jazz*, but with whatever music was cool in that decade)"

How many times have you EVER heard Irohide ask permission to kill a human in G1? This was probably the most glaring difference for me. I remember opening my mouth saying "what?" when I heard that. His voice didn't suit him either. Irohide was like the drill seargeant of the Autobots.

Bumblebee was never a good fighter at all. Yet in this movie he did great.

Jazz was a great fighter. And he got taken out like a mosquitio. Jazz also had tons of cool and usually useful things to say. This Jazz was barely noticeable.

Ratchet was pretty much dead on.
Rodimus_Prime13
Micromaster

Postby Rodimus_Prime13 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:25 pm

Oh.... and one more thing.

Ratchet was not a Nerd. He was a doctor.

Perceptor was the Nerd. :)
Rodimus_Prime13
Micromaster

Postby Skowl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I was as much a skeptic of Bay's ability to direct Transformers as the next guy, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised, and left the theatre on opening night with a big smile on my face, with that alone he has earned the right to direct another.

If Transformers goes on to become another one of these Hollywood trilogies, it would be good - in terms of style and presentation - to keep the same director throughout. You start changing things around and, well, you end up with X-Men 3...

... 'nuff said.
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby tacogrande » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:45 pm

No what I think he's saying is people liked Episode 1 at first but now realize what a crapfest it was.

Transformers is definitely at maximum hype right now. Give it about 10 years and people will be digging into it like they're doing the 1986 movie now.

I also think I like the 86 movie more than this one, though I really liked this new one. There was no characterization in the robots. Overall I think the 86 movie had memorable moments like Megatron vs. Prime, whereas this one had some holy sh*t moments but never anything that would really stand out. Hopefully the sequels do better with this. But then again I saw the 86 movie before I ever saw the cartoon and I thought that Prime entrance and death scene was the coolest thing ever, and I had no idea who he was.

Basically if they're going to keep going for the human element over the robots, we're not really going to care for any of the transformers themselves. But the way this movie ended it seems like they may switch the perspective for a sequel.
tacogrande
Fuzor
News Credits: 2

Postby Prowl76 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Motto: "Can't live by logical thinking alone."
Weapon: Wind Funnel Producing Laser
Bay did a great job on this film. The critics are being way too harsh. Expectations for some were very unrealistic. Face it, no matter who made this movie people would have a problem and find fault in it. I hope he does the second film.
Prowl76
Godmaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Klozminded-G1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Robinson wrote:

I don't, he did a good job. He needs to do the next one to keep the flow.

I agree 100%. Bay proved himself in my eyes.

65ish million in two full days? GO TRANSFORMERS!!!!
Klozminded-G1
Micromaster

Postby opjet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:30 pm

carm down people it was a great movie i like the people who seen it like it it's making money i see now wrong so carn down 1 in all
good man
opjet
Micromaster

Postby First Gen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Counterpunch wrote:

Your opinion is wrong.

Only CP could say that and be completely right.

I just cant reiterate enough how tee'd off I am with Prime getting his ass handed to him.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 pm

First Gen wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:

Your opinion is wrong.

I just cant reiterate enough how tee'd off I am with Prime getting his ass handed to him.

It happenend in 86 too.
Robinson
Gestalt

Postby First Gen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Robinson wrote:
First Gen wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:

Your opinion is wrong.

It happenend in 86 too.

CP being right or Prime getting his ass handed to him? I'll go with the former, cuz the latter just isn't true.

Prime would have one had Hot Rod gotten in the way. And he still had enough in him to send Megs flying off in broken shambles to a delighted Starscream.

So while I normally agree with you on these posts, I can't now.

First Gen
Faction Commander

Postby First Gen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Prime would have won if a new toyline wasn't coming out. Thats the real reason he lost that fight.

First Gen
Faction Commander

Postby Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:52 pm

First Gen wrote:
Robinson wrote:
First Gen wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:

Your opinion is wrong.

It happenend in 86 too.

CP being right or Prime getting his ass handed to him? I'll go with the former, cuz the latter just isn't true.

Prime would have one had Hot Rod gotten in the way. And he still had enough in him to send Megs flying off in broken shambles to a delighted Starscream.

So while I normally agree with you on these posts, I can't now.

CP may have been right about something in 86.

Before Hot rod got in the way prime had his ass handed to him, e was cut, broken and shutting down.
Robinson
Gestalt

Postby Megatron Wolf » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
What we need in the next one is either let some one else direct but still have bay on hand or let bay do the next and then let some one else direct so we can see who does it better. Bay did a good job on this one. Could've been better but it could've been a lot worse to. But i would like to see some one else take a shot at it. A good director though. Not that moron who fraked up Resident Evil and AVP or the idiot who did Blood Rayne. A real Director.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+

Postby decepticonjon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Megatron_Wolf wrote:What we need in the next one is either let some one else direct but still have bay on hand or let bay do the next and then let some one else direct so we can see who does it better. Bay did a good job on this one. Could've been better but it could've been a lot worse to. But i would like to see some one else take a shot at it. A good director though. Not that moron who fraked up Resident Evil and AVP or the idiot who did Blood Rayne. A real Director.

sounds like we need to get john mcteirnan out of retirement? :grin:
Mykltron wrote:Surely it's not THAT hard to train monkeys... Is it? Maybe the monkeys were trained by monkeys who hadn't been trained properly.

G1Blaster wrote:Saying an album is ten times better than St. Anger is like saying you'd rather be hit in the head with a bat instead of kicked in the nuts.
decepticonjon
Godmaster
News Credits: 5

Postby Kimmer » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:23 pm

here's a thought, get a director who actually knows about tf's or even is a fan and will listen to the longtime and very knowledgeable fanbase instead of just trying to change every freaking thing that made them great just to put their own stamp on things. if this doesn't happen then hopefully there will be a remake of some kind in the future like they're doing with the hulk and batman flicks. the bottomline is i'm hoping this "version" is one and done.
Kimmer
Combiner

Postby Blozor » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
I'd like to disagree. As a fan it was an embarrassment. As a non-fan, it was fun but otherwise completely forgettable, like any other Michael Bay movie. It has ZERO repeat viewing potential. In less than five years it will be in the $5.88 bin at Wal-Mart like Godzilla. In ten years, it will be remembered as something botched to compare other possible movie botches to, like Godzilla. It is, in essence, a Michael Bay movie — disposable pop like a Britney Spears song. Ultimately, I'd rather watch the 1986 movie than this one more time.

Now Granted, he was probably needed to do do a movie of this magnitude, but please, oh God, PLEASE let's get better writers in for the sequel. I want to see character development and a lot more screen time for the robots to develop their personalities. Their characterizations were written in almost as an afterthought. In fact, the Transformers were written in almost as an afterthought, and the movie was NAMED AFTER THEM. And it would be nice if their voices weren't all almost exactly alike.

I know this isn't the movie review thread, but I was holding out hope that this would be something good and I was sorely disappointed, and I wanted to respond to the gripes presented in this thread specifically.
Blozor
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATTRAP Transformers Beast Machines Mega Class complete Hasbro 2001 230615A"
RATTRAP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIME DIRECTIVE #3 Vol 1 Dreamwave Comics 2002 G1 Autobots Mini-Bot"
Transformers PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TWIN TWIST Transformers G1 Jumpstarters complete + instructions 1985 220807A"
NEW!
TWIN TWIST Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers UNICRON #6 Cvr B 1st Printing IDW Comic 2018 AUG180713 6B (CA) Raiz"
Transformers UNICR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SNARL + TYRANNITRON Transformers G1 Action Masters Hasbro UK 1990 New 230303A"
NEW!
SNARL + TYRANNITRO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #8 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUL210496 8A (CA) Griffith"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #16 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 MAR220506 16RI (CA) Stone"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MPG-06 KAEN Transformers Masterpiece G1 Trainbots Raiden Hasbro 2024 New"
NEW!
MPG-06 KAEN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OUTBACK with gun Transformers G1 Mini-Bot complete Hasbro 1986 240109A"
NEW!
OUTBACK with gun T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers G2 DECEPTICON MADNESS Flip 'n' Fun Activity Pad 1993 230418A"
Transformers G2 DE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Megatron Transformers Legacy Core Class G2 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
Megatron Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT ROD Transformers The Movie G1 Retro reissue Walmart exclusive 2023 New"
HOT ROD Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Ravage(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Galvatronus" on AMAZON