This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Free Comic Book Day - Transformers vs G.I. Joe Interview with Tom Scioli and John Barber

Postby Va'al » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The official website for Free Comic Book Day, the book crossing event taking place on the first Saturday of May every year, has just uploaded a series of interviews with the creators of their free comic books 2014 - which includes IDW Publishing's Transformers vs G.I. Joe! Read part of the interview with writer and artist Tom Scioli and co-writer John Barber, and check out the whole piece here.

FCBD: For those who might be new to your comic book, give a quick rundown. What can we expect to see in terms of story and art?

Tom Scioli (writer/artist/colorist/letterer): "It’s the first chapter of TRANSFORMERS VS. G.I. JOE. It tells the story of the first encounter between the G.I. JOE team and the TRANSFORMERS of CYBERTRON. It’s got the scale and action of a summer superhero blockbuster, but with the unlimited budget that only the comics medium can provide. There’s a space battle. There’s an assault on an underground COBRA base built on the ruins of the ancient city of Koh-Buru-Lah. There are cool science fiction ideas, like the Doomsday Seed. The story culminates in a massive aerial battle between planes, helicopters, jet packs, and giant killer machines from space. We also establish the relationships between the characters in a compelling, sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes tragic manner. There are character origins, deaths and lasting consequences. It’s a story that readers will never forget."

John Barber (co-writer/hanger-on): "Yeah, Tom hit it right on the head. This is such a unique and different take on the characters—really honoring the past but pushing the comics aspect out there further than ever… there’s stuff you can literally only do in comics, and Tom’s pulled off a lot of storytelling bits that I’ve never seen before. But the story is really non-stop, relentless action. Funny, touching, thrilling… usually in the same panel."

FCBD: What has been your favorite part of book or character to tackle?

Tom: "I really enjoyed the research process. Having grown up in the eighties, I had a certain level of familiarity with the characters, but in preparation for this series I dived headfirst into it. I read piles of comics, watched hours of cartoons and movies. It was intoxicating. The character of SNAKE EYES is the breakout character of G.I. JOE, so I had a lot of fun writing for him. He’s fun to draw, too. In a way he’s the original template for the ’90s Image-style characters—all pouches, straps, guns, grenades, mystery and attitude. I like STARSCREAM, too. It took a lot of practice to figure out his visual representation. He’s the one from the original cartoon that had the most interesting story. He’s the second banana, living and plotting in MEGATRON’s shadow. How did this envious, jealous, scheming social climber get to be the right hand man to somebody he hates? The one character that really made an impression on me above all in the old G.I. JOE comics is DR. VENOM. He’s kind of an obscure character. He’s profoundly evil, genuinely frightening, but darkly funny. He’s the representation of the banality of evil. He’s very ordinary looking in the operatically-costumed world of G.I. JOE. He is a lot of fun to write."

John: "For me, already get to play in the G.I. JOE and TRANSFORMERS sandboxes every day, editing G.I. JOE and a couple TRANSFORMERS comics and writing TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE. What’s been fun for me is coming at the characters from a totally different perspective… really coming at them from a unique point of view. I love this idea of approaching them in a grand, operatic tradition—the sense of scale is huge, and I the whole sense of story and of the construction of this world is so amazing and so wild, it’s a lot of fun to be a part of."

[...]

FCBD: Looking to the future of the book, is there anything you can tease about what's upcoming?

Tom: "We’re building toward a massive confrontation between the people of Earth and the people of CYBERTRON, a planet full of living, thinking, feeling, killer war-’bots."

John: "I can promise you this story doesn’t go the direction you think it’s going to go. There have been clashes between the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE in comics before, but there has never been anything like TRANSFORMERS VS. G.I. JOE."
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Tom Scioli And John Barber Talk ‘Transformers vs. G.I. Joe’ - Interview

Postby Va'al » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am

We saw an interview just last week with Tom Scioli and John Barber, creators of the upcoming IDW Publishing Transformers vs G.I. Joe comic, but Comics Alliance have also just posted their own interview with the two writer/artists! Check out snippets below, including a preview of some of the artwork, and read the whole thing here.

Transformers vs. G.I. Joe is a crossover that sells it self, but the downside of that is that it’s been done often enough that it can be difficult to get excited about the next version. Unless, of course, you tell me that it’s going to be co-written, drawn, and lettered by Tom Scioli, the man who wrote the line “Robot Dracula is an efficient torturer” and rendered all other comics obsolete. If you do that, you have my attention, and that’s exactly what they did when they announced that Scioli and John Barber were kicking off an ongoing series about the two teams, set to launch with #0 on Free Comic Book Day.

To find out more about how the project came together, I spoke to Scioli and Barber about how the project came together, Scioli’s massive pitch document, and how their life-long and relatively recent love of the comics influenced their storytelling. Believe it or not, I don’t think we talk about Destro at all.

ComicsAlliance: We’ve seen Transformers vs. G.I. Joe stories before, going all the way back to Marvel.

Tom Scioli: Right, once or twice.

CA: What made you each want to tackle the project in a new form, aside from just the idea that people love the Transformers and love G.I. Joe?

John Barber: At IDW, I think we wanted to do this for a long time, institutionally, just for that very reason — but we’d always sort of resisted it. Without anything interesting to do with it, there was no reason to do it. We have some G.I. Joe comics, we have the Transformers comics, I think they’re both pretty good… but if you’re going to combine them, you have to do something really different and really special. Knowing this year was going to be the 30th anniversary of Transformers and the 50th anniversary of the original G.I. Joe, we really wanted to do something with the two. We weren’t going to waste the opportunity, but if there wasn’t anything good to do, we didn’t want to do it. And then, enter Tom. [Laughs]

Tom Scioli: For me, I’m such a backseat driver with every movie I see. You almost can’t help it, once you get involved with writing, drawing or whatever. You start viewing the whole world that way. From day one of the Transformers movies, for me, it was like “okay, if I was doing the Transformers story, I’d do this, I’d do that,” and when John suggested doing a Transformers vs. G.I. Joe story, that was perfect. That’s exactly what Transformers kind of needs. The Transformers themselves were cool, but the humans never held up their end of the bargain, so having G.I. Joe be the humans, that’s perfect. They’re iconic, comics-y, sci-fi characters in their own right, so you finally have that missing ingredient.

[...]

CA: So how did you guys get together? Did you have to convince Tom that he should be drawing Transformers vs. G.I. Joe?

TS: It took no convincing at all. In fact, if I recall, John was vaguely apologetic about it, like “I don’t know if you’d like to do this or not, but…” and to me, of course, that sounds awesome. That’s right up my alley. Giant robots and quasi-superhero sci-fi army men. That’s perfect.

JB: The whole dirty secret of this is that Tom had emailed into IDW, and I was a big fan of his from Myth of 8-Opus and Godland. I was sitting there, and I don’t know how this train of thought got to me, but I was reading East of West, and looking at Nick Dragotta’s art, and thinking about how when he and Jonathan Hickman had done Fantastic Four, he was doing a little more of a Kirby thing. I’d emailed Tom that day about something else, and I thought, “you know what would be absolutely bananas? Doing this comic with Tom.”

TS: John had this elevator pitch of what he wanted this comic to be, and it sounded great. It was the sort of thing I could run with, and the ideas just kept coming. At that point, it was just sort of a “maybe.” Even though it wasn’t a thing yet, even though it was just a notion, I started thinking about things we could do. I’ve had that happen a couple of times, and I’d gotten to a point where I’d fight that impulse, but in recent years, I just let my imagination go where it’s going to go. I can do something with it. Even at that point, I was thinking “okay, if this ends up not happening, I can use some of this energy and some of these ideas somewhere else.” I’ve been working on a creator-owned sci-fi thing in the background, so if worse comes to worse, I can repurpose some of these ideas.

So I just kept going, and basically from the day John said it was something we could do, I’ve been working on it. So when it was finally something we were going to do, I had this huge thick stack of story that I dropped on John.

JB: You came in gangbusters, and it was all cool stuff. The floodgates opened, and I think it really helped that you were coming in as a fresh set of eyes.

TS: I think you’re right. To have this enthusiasm for the material. You’re a longtime fan and you’ve been working on it, and you still have an enthusiasm, but it’s probably not as white-hot as it was when you were a kid first discovering it. It’s nice to have a balance of someone who has the experience and knowledge of this stuff, and then someone whose head is currently exploding with how great it is.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:30 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Wow! The colors on those last two pics are so vibrant and lively (as opposed to the more drab, faded colors of the Optimus/Megatron pic) that it really does look like something straight out of the Silver Age.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 435
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

Postby rpetras » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
I really want to be excited by this series, but the art style really turns me off.

I get that it is emulating the silver age, but I was very glad when the prevailing comic art style changed away from this.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
News Credits: 1
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby CaptainMagic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:25 pm

I have to admit, Scioli's enthusiasm could be contagious enough to make me give this series a shot. Plus, the first issue's free, so what the heck? I am really confused why he chose to draw this thing in a 60s style, though. Why not go for the 80s and double up on nostalgia for the right time period, rather than jumping back twenty years to a time many fans probably won't care about? Oh well, it looks bad in some place and cool in others, so I guess we'll call it art.
CaptainMagic
Micromaster

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm

CaptainMagic wrote:I have to admit, Scioli's enthusiasm could be contagious enough to make me give this series a shot. Plus, the first issue's free, so what the heck? I am really confused why he chose to draw this thing in a 60s style, though. Why not go for the 80s and double up on nostalgia for the right time period, rather than jumping back twenty years to a time many fans probably won't care about? Oh well, it looks bad in some place and cool in others, so I guess we'll call it art.
To pay homage to legendary comic scribe Jack "The King" Kirby.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby 1984forever » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 pm

:BOOM: No to silver age Transformers!
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Dead Metal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Sabrblade wrote:
CaptainMagic wrote:I have to admit, Scioli's enthusiasm could be contagious enough to make me give this series a shot. Plus, the first issue's free, so what the heck? I am really confused why he chose to draw this thing in a 60s style, though. Why not go for the 80s and double up on nostalgia for the right time period, rather than jumping back twenty years to a time many fans probably won't care about? Oh well, it looks bad in some place and cool in others, so I guess we'll call it art.

Which is still just wrong. It looks nothing like Kirby's artwork. In fact it barely looks like Silver Age to begin with, yea sure Silver Age looked kinda primitive and had bad colouring, but it didn't look this inept. The characters where drown with sharper detail and more realistic proportions than this.
This whole paying homage is just an excuse for bad artwork while firing everyone up for retro homages to convince them this is something worth having.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby robotmel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 am

Motto: "I once pooped an Energon Cube!"
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
Looking forward to this series and where it goes!

The Transformers and G.I. Joe back in love again! :grin:
ROBOTMEL'S WANTS LIST! :BOT: PM ME PLEASE!
Classics/Generations - 25th Ann Unicron, YotS Omega Supreme
Alternity - Ultra Magnus, Dai Atlas, Saber
IDW Transformers (2009 Ongoing) - #22b (VF/NM)
MARVEL Generation 2 - Halloween Special (VF/NM)
robotmel
Gestalt
News Credits: 14
Buy from robotmel on eBay
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Skill: 8

Postby BumbleDouche » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:11 am

Motto: "The right to think & behave stupidly is a privilege too often abused."
Weapon: Tissue Demolecularization Gun
Dead Metal wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Which is still just wrong. It looks nothing like Kirby's artwork. In fact it barely looks like Silver Age to begin with, yea sure Silver Age looked kinda primitive and had bad colouring, but it didn't look this inept. The characters where drown with sharper detail and more realistic proportions than this.
This whole paying homage is just an excuse for bad artwork while firing everyone up for retro homages to convince them this is something worth having.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a reason few (if any) modern comics emulate this kind of aesthetic: it is bland, dreary, poorly/lazily drawn & depressingly coloured. Also I'm skeptical of the rationality behind trying to emulate an era of comic book history that preceded the franchise being depicted. In those old days, comics were looked down upon as the lowest rung of the reading ladder, a medium accused of adversely corrupting the young target audience - who were supposedly children ONLY.

As such, artists were quick, simple & efficient, adhering to boring "set standard" designs (e.g. in some old comics, the faces of several characters look EXACTLY the same). This was done to the point of blandness because artists were not necessarily interested in the content or the medium, they just needed a job! Some writers/artists didn't even use real names on their work so as to dissociate themselves from the social stigma surrounding comics at the time, perhaps thinking that admitting their involvement would negatively impact their future career choices. The medium was considered sub-standard drivel aimed at children, & therefore unimportant, except as a vehicle through which to advertise & sell toys.

But when those supposedly "sub-standard, mentally deficient" children became comic-loving ADULTS, the industry exploded with writers & artists who genuinely LOVED their work & as a consequence GREATLY improved the medium. The question then becomes WHY would anyone WANT to go BACK to a time when characters are introduced in a way that reads like a toy catalogue? Modern comics are, by comparison & in general, FAR superior in that they are tightly drawn, consistent between panels, well written & talk about issues & ideas that can be engaging & entertaining for older audiences, but still be broad enough to appeal to younger audiences.

The advances in printing technology alone have helped enormously in this endeavour, introducing rich palettes of colour, of which an artist can CHOOSE his colours to best get his or her point across to the reader in direct association with the written text. Ever wonder why so many enemies of Spider-Man are green & purple? Because there were limited colours available to print with (& they couldn't use red & blue since that was on Spidey).

It has always been my opinion that comics are the best way to introduce children to reading, both by what is said & what is left UNSAID on the page. It takes a skilful artist to be able to do this, but by limiting their colour palette, you are denying the artist access to the full creative freedom afforded to them by current technology. By going backwards with something THIS ugly, you're not encouraging new readers to pick up a comic that LOOKS like it was written 60 years ago.

From the excerpts I've seen here, I see no evidence of anything original or particularly creative about this series. For these reasons & those mentioned above, I think this series in particular is a WRONG step BACKWARDS. I simply see no logic behind PURPOSELY retrograding the comic medium to a bygone era of inferior quality writing, drawing & colouring... At least, not in the Transformers universe (others, like Spider-Man, perhaps, but not Transformers).

In closing: peace through tyranny! :CON:
"Megatron is the proof that tyranny is the finest form of government, under the right tyrant."
BumbleDouche
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Fighter Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10

Postby rpetras » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Man!

I thought my two lines were harsh. ;)
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby BumbleDouche » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

Sorry - I'm a stickler for quality control
"Megatron is the proof that tyranny is the finest form of government, under the right tyrant."
BumbleDouche
Vehicon

IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Another Interview with John Barber and Tom Scioli

Postby Va'al » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am

Comics and entertainment news website Comic Book Resources also wanted a piece of the Tom Scioli/John Barber pie, and add themselves to the list of interviews about the upcoming IDW Publishing Transformers vs. G.I. Joe series, set to debut in May, with Free Comic Book Day. Read on below for some snippets and more preview pages from the free issue, and head here for the whole interview.

CBR News: John and Tom, aside from the obvious implications of the title, what exactly is "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe" all about?

Tom Scioli: We're pretty close to figuring that out ourselves. So far it looks like each issue is going to be a complete "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe" epic that, when taken together, will add up to a multi-chapter mega epic. We've got a really good plot going. Figuring out the tone is the next big challenge. How serious, how funny, how topical.

I did a couple of passes, color thumbnail comics in a style similar to [Scioli's creator-owned series] "Satan's Soldier." In those tests, the tone ended up being in the neighborhood of [Scioli's other creator-owned series] "American Barbarian" and "Satan's Soldier." John is bringing a 21st century version of Classic '60s Marvel tone. I think we'll really nail it down when we find a tone that isn't "AmBarb," isn't '60s Marvel, isn't Alan Moore, isn't Frank Miller, but a tone that is "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe" -- a tone that is unique and specific to the demands of this particular story.

What's it about? Change or die. It's about a big universe where people build crazy, wild, awesome things and use them to kill each other. I'd like to shepherd the characters to a place where they don't want to kill each other anymore, but I don't know if they'll ever get there or not.

So far, the script for this first issue, which we're close to finishing, is the best thing I've ever worked on. I've spent more hours per page on this than anything I've done before, and the results are better than I could've imagined.

John Barber: Yeah, what Tom said. I came into this with a certain idea of where we were heading, and we've wound up somewhere way, way, way better.

The basic idea of the series is that the G.I. Joe team has been fighting COBRA for some time, but just when they think they've defeated their foe, everything blows up to the next level -- and the Cybertronians arrive.

We'll see the origins of our heroes; we'll see first meetings and secret pasts. This is the ground floor of an astounding new reality, here.

[...]

Tom, your style is very cosmic and Kirby-esque in nature, so is it safe to assume "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe" will be on a grand, cosmic scale?

Scioli: "Transformers" is a grand, cosmic thing to begin with. "G.I. Joe" is a heightened, sci-fi, 20 minutes into the future version of military adventure. Today's military technology is sci-fi by any reasonable definition, so it does kind of push things in that direction.

Early drafts were extremely serious, hard sci-fi, with absurdist touches and pitch black dark humor. John's brought a little more of a sense of adventure and fun to it. We're folding all of that stuff together and hammering it into what feels like a real, breathing universe from which we can pluck any story we need.

Barber: I think it's fair to say "grand and cosmic" yeah -- maybe "expanding" is another good word.

Merging two major properties like these is something IDW is clearly not taking lightly. How did this idea get started, and how long has it been in development?

Scioli: Months, it seems. When John first floated the idea, I started getting the wheels turning, even before it was confirmed as a thing. I can't help it. I used to fight that urge. Don't work on that, there's no point. I decided not to fight it. If your imagination goes somewhere you'd rather it not, don't fight it, let it happen and see where it goes. So I didn't fight it.

To make this as good as it needs to be, I couldn't wait to get the final okay before I start working. Doing this story one issue at a time just wasn't going to work, so even though I wouldn't advise working on a job you don't yet have, I don't think I'd have gotten the results I wanted if I figured the story out in issue-long chunks, one bit at a time. I knew from past experience, for best results I had to envision what I wanted my entire run to be and then figure out the story as a whole, before I even started work on Issue #1. It's foolishness, but the kind of foolishness you need to create great art.

Barber: At IDW, we'd been interested in doing a "Transformers"/"G.I. Joe" crossover series for a while, but it had to be the right thing. It had to be something really unique and interesting, not just some sort of a cash-grab. 2014 is the 30th Anniversary of "Transformers" and the 50th Anniversary of the original "G.I. Joe" line, so it seemed like we had to do something. But we've got existing comics universes that are pretty clearly not set in the same world. We were trying to figure out what would work and not just feel, well, inessential.

Then Tom emailed in out of the blue, and I'm a big fan of Tom. We started talking about another thing, about Tom doing a cover for another series -- and one day I just thought of Tom doing "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe." So I emailed him, and he was interested -- and I kinda inserted myself into the proceedings as co-writer, which is me kinda staying out of the way and then trying to steal the glory later

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby BumbleDouche » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Utter garbage.
BumbleDouche
Vehicon

Postby daningotham » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I will be picking this up for sure. I loved the Transformers and G.I.Joe comics in the 80s. Not getting my hopes up that it will be as good as those but I will still check it out.
daningotham
Mini-Con

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm

MegaDump wrote:Utter garbage.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

And this has "crazy Silver Age fun" written all over it. :D

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby 1984forever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 pm

We will NEVER get a decent G1 comic from IDW! They are obsessed with publishing garbage! These are the last days, my friends. There won't be a 40th anniversary because the Transformers franchise will be completely destroyed in less than 10 years!
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 pm

84forever wrote:We will NEVER get a decent G1 comic from IDW! They are obsessed with publishing garbage! These are the last days, my friends. There won't be a 40th anniversary because the Transformers franchise will be completely destroyed in less than 10 years!
Cool story, bro.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Burn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Art is bad, I don't expect the story to be any better.

Hopefully His Awesomeness Rob Liefeld takes over the art.
Heck I'd settle for John Romita Jr. ... anything's better than that.

84forever wrote:We will NEVER get a decent G1 comic from IDW! They are obsessed with publishing garbage! These are the last days, my friends. There won't be a 40th anniversary because the Transformers franchise will be completely destroyed in less than 10 years!

Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Go-Faster-Wings » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm loving this. This art is great, and I love this writing. I am really looking forward to this!!!
Go-Faster-Wings
Mini-Con
Watch Go-Faster-Wings on YouTube

Postby BumbleDouche » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Go-Faster-Wings wrote:I'm loving this. This art is great, and I love this writing. I am really looking forward to this!!!

Said no-one, ever.
BumbleDouche
Vehicon

Postby TheCrookedMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Motto: "I like blocky rehashes."
I think that people who don't appreciate Kirby, Steranko, and Ditko's work aren't going to understand or like this. These pages could have been ripped from New Gods, Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD, or Shade, the Changing Man. I'm really looking forward to it.
TheCrookedMan
Mini-Con

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

TheCrookedMan wrote:I think that people who don't appreciate Kirby, Steranko, and Ditko's work aren't going to understand or like this. These pages could have been ripped from New Gods, Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD, or Shade, the Changing Man. I'm really looking forward to it.
So, you would argue that this really is evocative of Kirby's work and not a poor attempt at imitating his work?

(fyi, I do agree that it is Kirby-esque)

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby TheCrookedMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Motto: "I like blocky rehashes."
I think this post on his Web site makes it clear how much he intends this as an homage to Kirby.

http://www.tomscioli.com/?p=229

Also, see his entire Godland series.
TheCrookedMan
Mini-Con

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm

TheCrookedMan wrote:I think this post on his Web site makes it clear how much he intends this as an homage to Kirby.

http://www.tomscioli.com/?p=229

Also, see his entire Godland series.
I know and recognize the intention, but others beside myself would argue that the intention was not met with satisfactory results, hence a lot of the scorn these TF/Joe covers from Scioli keep getting.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan BUMBLEBEE Transformers Rescue Bots 2015 yellow muscle car 201217a"
Rescan BUMBLEBEE T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEDIX DOC-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2012 Playskool 191206a"
MEDIX DOC-BOT Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan HEATWAVE Fire-Bot Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2019 Fire Truck"
Rescan HEATWAVE Fi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Playskool Racing Truck New"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Dinobots Hasbro 2022 New"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Earthspark Warrior Class Hasbro 2023 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Earthspark Warrior Class Hasbro 2023 New"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Earthspark Warrior Class Hasbro 2023 New"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2023 New"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHIEF CHARLIE BURNS + RESCUE CUTTER Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool"
CHIEF CHARLIE BURN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan BUMBLEBEE Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Playskool 2020 Offroad vehicle"
Rescan BUMBLEBEE T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOIST TOW-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2012 Playskool 191206a"
HOIST TOW-BOT Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Feature Bot HEATWAVE FIRE BOT action figure Transformers Rescue Bots 2015 New"
Feature Bot HEATWA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON