This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: ReGeneration One #97 Preview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: ReGeneration One #97 Preview

Postby Va'al » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:20 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
This week, IDW Publishing brings out several offerings for the comics fans out there. We begin with a look at issue 97 of ReGeneration One, and the arrival of Jhiaxus on Cybertron - to find out more, check out the preview below, and come back tomorrow for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers Regeneration One #97

Simon Furman (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Andrew Wildman, Guidi (c)

DARK FORCES RISE! JHIAXUS—the mysterious senator who deleted himself from Cybertronian history—is back… but as friend or foe? RODIMUS PRIME is forced to question the motives of Primus himself—does he drag the AUTOBOTS into a war they can’t win… or side with an “enemy” who seeks only one thing: universal order?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:

• Continuing the original TRANSFORMERS comic book series!
• The COUNTDOWN to # 100 continues—only 4 issues remain!
• Variant cover by Geoff Senior!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: ReGeneration One #97 Preview

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:29 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Looks promising. Hopefully Furman picks it up a bit and there's a fight between Rodimus and Jhiaxus that lasts more than a page.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Va'al » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:29 am

Oh, it picks up.. ;)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Script (W)Rap - Transformers: ReGeneration One #97

Postby Va'al » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:39 am

Wordsmith Simon Furman has updated his blog with the usual Script (W)Rap for this week's issue of ReGeneration One! Do you have what it takes to be teased a little further until tomorrow's release of the title? See what he has to say below, and check out his blog here.

Can it be? Is that the final countdown I hear, as Regeneration One ticks towards its 100th — and final — anniversary issue? Oh yes, issue #97 (and part 2 of the final story arc of the series that kick-started everything TRANSFORMERS is today) hits the stands this week (Wednesday December 18th). The War to End All Wars continues, as the mysterious (and long-absent) Senator Jhiaxus makes his presence felt. And how! If you’d prefer to have no more tantalising teasers (and the odd spoiler) thrown your way, then cease and desist now. If you’d like your appetite whetted even further, read on. Okay, so we all know Rodimus Prime has a bunch of stuff he needs to fix (as revealed in our revelatory issue #0), and chief among them is a certain Cybertronian senator who not only deleted himself from Cybertronian history & everyone’s memory but also stole vital secrets (of life and death no less) from the Underbase mainframe. Phew, and now he’s back. But does he come as friend or foe? How does Rodimus Prime deal with a force committed to the grounding Cybertronian principle of Universal Order? Is there other stuff going on too? Of course… and, as usual, Grimlock and the Dinobots are in the thick of things. Since they rose from the underground depths of Cybertron, no one’s quite known what to do with the planet’s primordial ancestors. Well, the new Cybertronians of Jhiaxus’s second generation empire do. And the only thing standing between them and a total purge of these ancestors are the Dinobots! Oh yes, and there’ s the return of a certain… well, why spoil everything? Go see for yourself. You’ll be happy you did. Full preview for the issue can had here.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 am

Va'al wrote:Oh, it picks up.. ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. So far it's been more miss than hit.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby Va'al » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 am

Rodimus Prime wrote:

Well, I think it did. I'd be curious to see what you think too, once the review is posted tomorrow! :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 am

Va'al wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:

Well, I think it did. I'd be curious to see what you think too, once the review is posted tomorrow! :D

Can't wait. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick up my copies until Friday. :BANG_HEAD:
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

IDW Transformers: ReGeneration One #97 Review

Postby Va'al » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:45 am

Gee, axe us
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

DARK FORCES RISE! JHIAXUS—the mysterious senator who deleted himself from Cybertronian history—is back… but as friend or foe? RODIMUS PRIME is forced to question the motives of Primus himself—does he drag the AUTOBOTS into a war they can’t win… or side with an “enemy” who seeks only one thing: universal order?

Because what could go wrong..?

Story

And here he is. Been teased for some time now, we've been developing a back story, dealing with the aftermath of the battle with Galvatron (while Optimus keeps building things in Oklahoma, as you do) and the primordial Cybertronians settling in - and there's quite a message going on with that plot, too - and now, Simon Furman brings Jhiaxus slap bang in the middle of it.

Surprise, he's a show-off

And he seems nice enough, if you ignore the thick, constant judging of everything on Cybertron, and the fact that his minions are terrifying and evil, and he's insanely rational and evil and supervillain-esque. Have I mentioned the minions are terrifying and evil? And racist/specieist? Surely the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree..

See? Evil

Rodimus Prime deals with Jhiaxus, who goes in full-on explanation mode - yet, still works, quite nicely, too. He's been set up to be an arrogant, learned, self-centred ex-senator, and that's exactly what his character is like. And there seems to be a reason behind all his power, too.

He's backed up by Hasbro!

I'm impressed. Furman plays well with his fairly expanded cast, while never losing sight of the threat posed by Jhiaxus. The Dinobots are brought in for a "subplot" of sorts, that ties in with the rest, we get to look at the continuation of the Fort Max plot, even if just for a glimpse, and the conclusion is very very fan-worthy

Art

Guido Guidi is still on art duties, with Stephen Baskerville inking the gorgeous linework. I still sometimes forget that this is not Wildman at his best, as Guidi has done an amazing job at emulating the style while still keeping his own touch in the art. The more organic characters look brilliant, and Jhiaxus' face is something to be in awe.

Because faces

As for colours, JP Bove once again delivers some stunningly chromed and slick paintjobs to absolutely everything, from organic technobirds to possessed giant robots to gold-shining faces and rubble, guns, skies and more. I'm still not sure how he does what he does, but does it he does, and does it well.

Sublime, dahling

Chris Mowry's letters do a great job of helping out with the more action-based sequences, too, without ever getting in the way of the artwork - which is always a good thing. And make sure you take a look at all the covers: other than Andrew Wildman's classic A cover, Guidi's Fortress Maximus is a thing to behold, and Geoff Senior's cover is a fun as always!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Ok, this was really fun. Furman's dialogue can get a little our of hand, especially reading this and Dark Cybertron together, but it still fits the characters. The action in this one is well-plotted and justified, and the storyline looks very promising. And I really hope other readers get the kick I got at the two revelatory point in the issue

Next: Another good plan

I'm running out of things to say about the artwork, though it never ceases to amaze me. This is what most older readers will remember from the earlier days, with the new injected into it. It's shiny, it's gritty, it's beautiful, it's face-y and it's all due to the more or less Italians (and Baskerville). Yes, I just went there.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: + out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #4 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics OCT231207 4C (CA)Ossio"
Masters Universe F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv ENDLESS SUMMER Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics JUN231430 Flores"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT SPLINTERED FATE #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 JUN231481 1A (CA) Verdugo"
TMNT SPLINTERED FA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #121 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 Ninja Turtles JUL210490 121RI (CA) Alleyne"
TMNT #121 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 JAN231644 1A (CA) Sakai"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2023 SEP221740 1RI (CA) Deodato"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #1 Cvr D RI 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 1D 1RI (CA) Federici"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #2 Cvr C IDW Comics JUL229233 2C (CA) Barravecchia"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Best of LEATHERHEAD #1 IDW Comics 2022 Mutant Ninja Turtles SEP221731"
TMNT Best of LEATH ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr E Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230208 1E (CA) Tao (W) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FCBD 2022 TMNT IDW Comics JAN220006 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (CA) Campbell"
FCBD 2022 TMNT IDW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKELETOR vs HE-MAN Masters of the Universe Minis MOTU SDCC Comic-Con 2013 New"
SKELETOR vs HE-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MASTERS UNIVERSE REVELATION #4 Cvr A Dark Horse Comics 2021 AUG210312 4A MOTU"
MASTERS UNIVERSE R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #4 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 OCT221763 4C (CA) Chi"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON