This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events

Get the latest Transformers related Convention and Event forum news and information. Join in discussions with fellow attendees right here on Seibertron.com.

Moderator: Club and BotCon Forum Staff

Re: BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events

Postby mooncake623 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 am

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:
Mkall wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Anyway -- https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/443390204586389504

For everyone who wants that character EVERYONE knows of and really needs an update, don't worry, he is on his way...

It's going to be Hot Rod isn't it?
I'm hoping for Devcon. :D

Just rewatched "the gambler" last night... Really want a Devcon now. That alt mode is sick!

lol Also smokescreen really gambled away Prime huh? SMH
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby El Duque » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Samantha Newark, the voice of G1's Ariel, has been announced as the latest BotCon 2014 special guest. She joins the previously announced Jack Angel, Susan Blu, Hal Rayle, and Michael McConnohie.

SAMANTHA NEWARK's voice-over work incudes the original Transformers cartoon series as the voice of "Ariel", the pink robot gunned down by the Decepticons and who was later rebuilt into "Elita One" in the classic episode "War Dawn". She also voiced "Elise Presser", the human, geek to the core high school girl on a quest to build a robot in the episode B.O.T. and voiced the role of Zamojin Empress in the episode "The face of Nijika".

Samantha also starred as "Jem" and as “Jerrica” in the beloved cartoon series "Jem and the Holograms". Other voice work includes the British voice of Peter Pans Mother in the feature film "Hook", vocals in the anime classic "Project Ako" as well as many radio and TV commercials. Samantha is also an accomplished Singer/Songwriter with her original songs and vocals featured in hit TV shows such as "Vampire Diaries", "Smallville" "America's Next Top Model", "The Ellen Show" and her dynamic voice has also been featured in hit blockbuster game titles such as "God of War", "Twisted Metal Black", "Everything or Nothing", and "Wild Arms 3".
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Well that was unexpected. The voice of Ariel from "War Dawn", Elise Presser from "B.O.T." and the present day Zamojin Empress from "The Face of the Nijika".

Oh, and her biggest role Jem.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Dagon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Really pulling out all the stops for the 30th anniversary, huh?

Let's get the voice actress from that one episode. Such a mainstay of the franchise. Oh yeah, and let's have a box set of characters from one or two panels from the comic in the 90s.

Lol.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 2
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Skill: 10+

Postby ScottyP » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
You know what's cool about that announcement? It's someone different. That's always welcome. Very cool!
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 pm

ScottyP wrote:You know what's cool about that announcement? It's someone different. That's always welcome. Very cool!
I've give her that. Someone new is usually interesting for spreading more stories about the past. :D

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Dagon wrote:Really pulling out all the stops for the 30th anniversary, huh?

Let's get the voice actress from that one episode
...considered by many fans to be THE greatest keynote of the American G1 cartoon for presenting its origin for Optimus Prime, his conflict with Megatron, and the Great War.

My thoughts exactly!

Of course, she's most relevant as Jem, so maybe this is a sign that Hasbro hasn't given up on reviving that franchise? Their first stab at it kind of died down, but the HUB started rerunning it weekday mornings again. Any word as to what keeps hampering them, or is that under wraps for legal reasons?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Bumblevivisector wrote:

...considered by many fans to be THE greatest keynote of the American G1 cartoon for presenting its origin for Optimus Prime, his conflict with Megatron, and the Great War.
As well as the single worst episode of G1 that featured some of the worst animation errors ever, the most heinous human sidekicks ever, some of the weakest toy advertisement strategies ever, and the most outrageously ludicrous plan Megatron ever conceived.

And the episode that turned Perceptor into a Geisha woman. :P

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Sabrblade wrote:As well as the single worst episode of G1:P
What's that you say? They also got Morgan Lofting to attend and discuss Prime Target? ;)

Just to clarify, given the sheer amount of errors one must forgive to enjoy pretty much any Sunbow ep, I grade on a scale of "reasonable benefit of the doubt". For example, if the whole musical-language had actually been planned out, and they'd thrown in one line of pseudo-science about how the Eurythman harmonics can somehow travel through space, Carnage in C-Minor could've worked as intended.

Considering Swindle is an iconic character entirely because so many fans' blurry memories of B.O.T. have it focusing more on his wheeling and dealing, it's seriously not a stretch to say that if just a few minutes of high school antics had been handed over to him instead, B.O.T. could even be an above average episode.

Prime Target, on the other hand, just had such a wrong-headed premise from the get-go that the only "if" I can ever muster for it is, "If anyone without Flint Dille's carte blanche had submitted this turd, it would've been flushed long before it hit the storyboards." For me, there is no other contender for worst Sunbow ep, and B.O.T. somehow being considered to bear that title instead strikes me as an odd hindsight contrivance; I'd never heard it mentioned as such until just a few years ago, and nearly half the episodes from the first 2/3 of season 2 are more painful to sit through.

But back on topic,
Sabrblade wrote:And the episode that turned Perceptor into a Geisha woman. :P
Hmm, thanks to Windblade, that ep's actually quite topical again, ain't it? Yep, Samantha Newark is a pretty good get this year.
Last edited by Bumblevivisector on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Bumblevivisector wrote:For me, there is no other contender for worst Sunbow ep, and B.O.T. somehow being considered to bear that title instead strikes me as an odd hindsight contrivance; I'd never heard it mentioned as such until just a few years ago, and nearly half the episodes from the first 2/3 or season 2 are more painful to sit through.
Most look to this for B.O.T.'s "worst episode" candidacy (check out the Notes section, especially).

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Motto: "Small things aren't worth being mad over."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
Bumblevivisector wrote:maybe this is a sign that Hasbro hasn't given up on reviving that franchise?

You know what franchise they should revive? Robotix! I loved that show!
TheLocalBard! My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TheLocalBard

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander
News Credits: 18
Alt Mode: Transmetal Insect and Helicopter
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:
Bumblevivisector wrote:maybe this is a sign that Hasbro hasn't given up on reviving that franchise?

Just so happens that that show does exist in the TF multiverse. :-B

Why, Compu-Core is even a Vector Sigma node. :o)

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Most look to this for B.O.T.'s "worst episode" candidacy (check out the Notes section, especially).
Right, exactly what I meant. Lays out a good case in print, but it somehow never adds up to be that bad when I actually go back and watch the pre-Movie eps.

The intangible that text can't capture is a certain feel: maybe it was the Jem models being used reenforcing the greater Sunbow community, or the teenagers' plot looking like something from a random contemporary Saturday Morning cartoon (Kidd Video, maybe?), but it makes the Transformers seem to inhabit a complex world/universe with a lot of stuff going on at once (didn't we wish all of our favorite childhood cartoons could actually overlap wherever possible?) You got that feel in spades after The Movie, and in the multiple threads of the US/UK comics, but hardly ever in the pre-Movie toon, with it's gimmick-centric plots precisely chiseled to ignore inconvenient elements of other episodes. The only prior eps that ever gave me that feeling were The Ultimate Doom and Revenge of Bruticus, and I always liked that season 2 at least managed to end with the same feel, even if it was through sheer nuttiness.

One thing everyone can agree on though, is that B.O.T. had to have suffered exceptionally hasty last-minute edits. If some confusion even made its way into the recording session, Ms. Newark's insight's into it could be the most interesting part of her panel (on the off-chance she remembers anything specific from 3 eps 29 years ago). Did Earl Kress ever talk about it before he passed on? Is the script revealed by Metrodome posted anywhere online?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:

Just so happens that that show does exist in the TF multiverse. :-B

Why, Compu-Core is even a Vector Sigma node. :o)
Meaning Skalorr is an aspect of Cybertron, right? So is that one bad guy literally that universe's Shipwreck?

Glad to know it's still a different planet in different continuities, since it could easily exist in or after Sunbow's 2006.

As for reviving Robotix, I think what sunk it back in the day was that the cartoon was so good it made you want to get all the figures and have them bash the slag outta' each other, occasionally with an opponent's severed leg! But the expense and complexity of the toys made that next to impossible. If they simplified it into a non-electronic, Construct-Bots-esque toyline though, that might just fly.

Has the show gotten an R1 DVD release yet? I'd love to have that whole brief series, plus the far more forgotten Lionel Power Masters and Max Steel Robo Force: The Revenge of Nazgar on DVD. Don't remember who owns that last one, but Flint Dille wrote the one-off episode.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster

Postby Dagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 am

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Bumblevivisector wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

Of course, she's most relevant as Jem, so maybe this is a sign that Hasbro hasn't given up on reviving that franchise? Their first stab at it kind of died down, but the HUB started rerunning it weekday mornings again. Any word as to what keeps hampering them, or is that under wraps for legal reasons?

I suppose, if that makes you feel better. I guess, personally speaking, I'd need to have some actual support for the idea that War Dawn is 'considered by many fans to be THE greatest keynote' of the G1 cartoon. That would at least make this seem less like grasping at straws, and if she was really that big of a draw I'd imagine the announcement would maybe reference the episode more prominently than it mentions she was the voice of Jem. I'm not trying to argue the narrative importance of the episode, nor am I making a claim for a better, more important episode, but there hasn't been any word that Welker or Cullen will be there, and I doubt anyone can make an argument that those two voice actors are less iconic for the franchise than a minor G1 character.

And, at any rate, this isn't Jemcon, so I'm not sure that her turn as Jem is really supposed to wow anyone.

*EDIT: I also don't have any personal issue with this guest, in case it seems like I'm just grumpy. I guess I just think a bit character's voice actor is that impressive.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 2
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Skill: 10+

Postby Tranzilla » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Henry921 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Mkall wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Anyway -- https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/443390204586389504

For everyone who wants that character EVERYONE knows of and really needs an update, don't worry, he is on his way...

It's going to be Hot Rod isn't it?
I'm hoping for Devcon. :D

I have a feeling Devcon (if the reveal) will be from Generations Scourge. Body styles are really close.

Assuming the rumor about Energon molds is true, this may finally come to light:

Speaking of using Energon molds...

Would love to see Energon Jetfire as Technobot Scattershot (already close in color scheme) and Slugslinger (with new head) as Strafe. Could probably redo Cybertron Ransack as Afterburner and repurpose Universe Swerve as Lightspeed. All we need is our favorite drill guy, Nosecone, and viola...TECHNOBOTS!!!!
Tranzilla
Minibot

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Josh Burcham having some more fun - https://twitter.com/jcburcham/status/443529245441003520

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Flux Convoy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 am

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
Ferak is purple. Henkei Cyclonus, which wasn't released stateside, is a purple that he has never been in any of his fiction appearances. What's the issue Pete? Last I checked Cyclonus doesn't have a red face or highlights either. If you aren't going to do the character the proper justice, don't do it. Grey is better than white but it's still wrong.
:BOT:
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby El Duque » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
It would seem that Tornado from this year's BotCon Pirates vs. Knights set has discovered Facebook. So far he's shared a selfie and and a couple of data logs, which can be found here and here. Probably worth dropping by his page and liking to get additional updates:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tornado- ... 8939844774

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Deadput » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:29 am

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Ummm well that's something.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Skill: 5

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 am

That first log was taken directly from the the first 2014 issue of the TCC magazine, issue #55. It was the first piece of official word that confirmed that the pirate toys would likely all be Squadron X members in addition to Cannonball.

I'd wager a guess that the second log will be included in the next issue, so this is a surprise to see this kind of magazine content posted publicly online ahead of its magazine issue publishing.

Though, reading over the second log and then rereading the first log again, it kinda sounds like the "we" from Squadron X that Tornado mentioned Cannonball had invited to join his crew might be referring to just him and Ferak, rather than all of Squadron X. If that's the case, then...

Well, that'd leave the pirates as being almost as much an open book as the knights currently are. :|

Also, anyone remember "Apelinq's War Journals" from the 3H days? This feels a lot like that was, only in print form instead of online.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Tornado has updated his Facebook with a third log entry:

https://docs.google.com/a/unicron.com/file/d/0B_AaAWT6x2NmaTJOekpPUzVNRm8/edit

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Va'al » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Fellow Seibertron.com user Sabrblade has pointed us once more towards the new Facebook page for one of the BotCon set characters, Tornado, who is apparently uploading datalogs about the StarSeekers leading up to show, as reported yesterday. Start reading it below, and keep on reading here or here!

Star Seeker Saboteur Tornado

Aboard the Tidal Wave

Personal Journal – Date index 284.756.13

As we all know, it’s just my nature to be...curious. Being a saboteur, I like to take things apart; I like to figure things out. The Captain speaks of this big bounty that he has planned (“The biggest heist yet!”), and that we will be informed about it when the time is right (i.e. when he’s good and ready.) While I normally don’t have any trouble distracting myself with work, this has got me more curious than usual. The Captain, while normally quite pleasant in his own sadistic way, seems almost… giddy.

I’ve been doing a little digging in the ship's computers. Too easily, really. (They're pirates, aren't they? Surely they know about guarding their loot, even if its digital.) A few nanokliks of effort, and I’ve gained access to the Captain’s Log. Hmm. Disappointing. Some rambling about transwarp that borders on the incoherent – at least for me – but nothing solid about the overall plan. He’s playing it close to the torso plate, as usual. Scrap. Oh well, might as well get something useful out of this. Let's see what he's got to say about the day that Ferak and I joined his crew. It'll be good to know what kind of impressions we made and if the Captain's welcoming smile was actually that...
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Minor update to Tornado's Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=736152739752394&id=735228939844774&stream_ref=10

I don't think that our new navigator (Does he have a name? I've only heard him referred to as "Navigator"...) knows how to talk about anything other than star charts and gravitational currents.

He engaged me in conversation again at the refueling station (he calls it a "cafeteria"). I made the mistake of acknowledging his existence. This led to an EXTENDED explanation of...something. Blast if I could follow - CAN follow - if it isn't the dull material it's the gibbering method of his communication.

Hmm. The hum of the engines has developed a subtle chatter. One of the floric valves may be misaligned. I don't know how to fix something like that, only make it worse. I'll have to remember to tell Ferak...

By The One! The navigator is still talking! He didn't even notice I had stopped paying attention and he is still waving his scaly reptilian tongue with each passing syllable. I wonder if removing the appendage would silence his discourse...

As a reminder, this Navigator is this organic lizard guy:

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Dr. Caelus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Thinking about it, I kind of hope the reptile is a transformer, some form of beast former with a saltwater crocodile alternate mode, named "Navy-Gator".
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Convention and Event Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #285 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUN210467 285RI Anderson"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 231208Y"
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE AND THE TRANSFORMERS #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe 230915K"
GI JOE AND THE TRA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #60 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Furman (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #13 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010F"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926F"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #14 Marvel Comics 1986 (W/CA) Budiansky (A) Perlin 231010H"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #18 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #16 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Kaminski 231010L"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE AND THE TRANSFORMERS #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe 230915J"
GI JOE AND THE TRA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926P"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #17 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010N"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #282 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 FEB210449 282B Williams II"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #28 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Akin (W) Budiansky 231010F"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Skrapnel and Reflector Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON