This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events

Get the latest Transformers related Convention and Event forum news and information. Join in discussions with fellow attendees right here on Seibertron.com.

Moderator: Club and BotCon Forum Staff

Re: BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events

Postby Rated X » Fri May 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Im skipping this year. I didnt like the pasadena vibe back in 2011. Ill attempt to buy a non attendee set but im not gonna kill myself staying glued to a computer screen. If I cant get one, ill just get it on ebay and help some poor scalper pay his monthly electric bill. And I dont see nothing nerdy about the shirt. Its black and has a nice throwback G1 style drawing. Just rock some black sweatpants and a fresh pair of Nikes and that shirt can go anywhere. A shirt doesnt make someone look nerd. Not having swag is what makes someone look nerd.
Last edited by Rated X on Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Diem » Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Registered! Primus Package + assemble custom class figure.

This toy is just "Ginrai". The old "Fire Guts" toy deco is being used as his standard form deco this time. While he can likely still power up for his attacks, he'll be an orange & red bot on fire this time instead of a red & blue one on fire. There is no need to refer to his non-powered form by his attack powered form name this time.

Sorry Sabr but I'm calling foul on this. All we know so far is that canon-wise the toy is just called Ginrai, which isn't especially meaningful (unless we're all calling Tracks "Turbo Tracks" nowadays). Until the comic comes out I don't think we can call it; but I see it going one of three ways:

A) This character's origin is unrelated to Masterforce and he has always been orange - sure, he's plain Ginrai

B) This character is Masterforce Ginrai or has an analogous origin, and is now permanently or temporarily orange - then he's bloody Fire Guts Ginrai.

C) This character's origin is unrelated to Masterforce but the orange represents a powered up form - then unless they name him something different he's still bloody Fire Guts Ginrai.

While I appreciate that the letter of the law here is that his name is just Ginrai the spirit of law shows that he is deliberately designed to be intentionally evocative of a specific incarnation of the character Ginrai.

This all said I look forward to arguing with you in person! See you there man.
Diem
City Commander
News Credits: 217

Postby Sabrblade » Fri May 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
It's the Wings Universe, so the Japanese cartoons don't exist in this continuity. He's even given an original character bio in the BotCon brochure:
AUTOBOT KNIGHT GINRAI – He is the gruff, pragmatic and downright paranoid military leader of the Autobots/Maximals. An old-school warrior “Bot of Action”, Ginrai has earned the rank of Knight Commander. A veteran of the old conflicts, he’s not entirely comfortable with the peace, constantly waiting for the “other shoe to drop”.
So Option B is out.

I'm leaning towards Option A since we see him seemingly casually orange here:

No glowing aura effect or anything to signify a powered up form.

Not like he's seen here, which is him powered up:

So we have two pics in which he is orange, one of him not glowing/fired up, and the other of him glowing/fired up. Suggesting that he's orange no matter what.

Though, let's not kid ourselves here, since he obviously wasn't orange when using his attack in Masterforce, either. He was just engulfed in orange flames without an actual color change to his body. :P

Diem wrote:This all said I look forward to arguing with you in person! See you there man.
LOL, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, too. This is gonna be an awesome BotCon. :DANCE:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby mooncake623 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:10 am

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
Rated X wrote:Im skipping this year. I didnt like the pasadena vibe back in 2011. Ill attempt to buy a non attendee set but im not gonna kill myself staying glued to a computer screen. If I cant get one, ill just get it on ebay and help some poor scalper pay his monthly electric bill. And I dont see nothing nerdy about the shirt. Its black and has a nice throwback G1 style drawing. Just rock some black sweatpants and a fresh pair of Nikes and that shirt can go anywhere. A shirt doesnt make someone look nerd. Not having swag is what makes someone look nerd.

Haha. yea I'm going to do the same. Ebay if i cant get it on the site.
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Windsweeper » Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 am

What I like about this set is that how much Ferak looks like my KO oversized white Cyclonus. Always nice when a repaint is an actual new character.

Love the new head on Scorponok. I'd love to see it on my old G1 Scorpy.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 am

Windsweeper wrote:What I like about this set is that how much Ferak looks like my KO oversized white Cyclonus. Always nice when a repaint is an actual new character.
Technically, he's no more new a character than Devcon. He was in the Marvel G1 comics issue "The Smelting Pool!" and reappeared in the IDW comic mini-series "Last Stand of the Wreckers".

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby shajaki » Sat May 10, 2014 7:21 am

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
ScottyP wrote:Yeah, bagged sets are sold out apparently. Crazy quick!
wait what? the loose sets are sold out? arent those for the non attendees, which can register for another week?
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby mooncake623 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 am

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
shajaki wrote:
wait what? the loose sets are sold out? arent those for the non attendees, which can register for another week?

No those are extra sets that you can buy and resell. Non-attendees gets a box set too. the bag sets is $100 cheaper.
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10

Postby Midnight_Fox » Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 am

Motto: "The Midnight Fox comes in the night,
always in shadow, never in sight."
Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Bagsets are also so you can open the figs while keeping your box MiB.
Midnight_Fox
Godmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3

Postby shajaki » Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 am

mooncake623 wrote:
shajaki wrote:
No those are extra sets that you can buy and resell. Non-attendees gets a box set too. the bag sets is $100 cheaper.
*phew*
still debating if im going to sign up and buy it from the source, or just get it from ebay.
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
shajaki wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:
shajaki wrote:
*phew*
still debating if im going to sign up and buy it from the source, or just get it from ebay.

And buy from scalpers? No way, my advice is to wait a few years for the prices to drop, or to look for members who are splitting up their sets and selling at cost.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Intelligence: 9
Skill: 5

Postby shajaki » Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 am

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
shajaki wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:
shajaki wrote:
*phew*
And buy from scalpers? No way, my advice is to wait a few years for the prices to drop, or to look for members who are splitting up their sets and selling at cost.
this is one of those sets i fear wont drop... like the beast wars figures.

the attendee sets up right now, how many boxed sets can you buy? anyone out there wanna buy a second... for me?
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Box Set Group Shot

Postby Va'al » Sat May 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Just to show off a little more, the official BotCon 2014 Facebook page has uploaded an image of the exclusive box set from this year's Pirates vs Knights theme. Not only do we get another look at the brilliant Robby Musso artwork, we also have a group shot of all the figures included! Check out below Devcon, Ferak, Scorponok with Olin Zarak, Fire Guts Ginrai and Cannonball, and of course, the box.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Box Set Group Shot

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Va'al wrote:Check out below Devcon, Ferak, Scorponok with Olin Zarak, Fire Guts Ginrai and Cannonball, and of course, the box.
:BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Va'al » Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
I'll call it what I want to call it. I care not for your fiction. [-(
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Mkall » Sat May 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
I look at this set and I see noting but awesome homages across the 30 years. I cannot wait to see the attendee exclusives.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Speed: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby MGrotusque » Sat May 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Rated X wrote: Just rock some black sweatpants and a fresh pair of Nikes and that shirt can go anywhere. A shirt doesnt make someone look nerd. Not having swag is what makes someone look nerd.

If you say so dude. :lol:
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Firepower: 9

Postby MGrotusque » Sat May 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Diem wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Registered! Primus Package + assemble custom class figure.

This toy is just "Ginrai". The old "Fire Guts" toy deco is being used as his standard form deco this time. While he can likely still power up for his attacks, he'll be an orange & red bot on fire this time instead of a red & blue one on fire. There is no need to refer to his non-powered form by his attack powered form name this time.

Sorry Sabr but I'm calling foul on this. All we know so far is that canon-wise the toy is just called Ginrai, which isn't especially meaningful (unless we're all calling Tracks "Turbo Tracks" nowadays). Until the comic comes out I don't think we can call it; but I see it going one of three ways:

A) This character's origin is unrelated to Masterforce and he has always been orange - sure, he's plain Ginrai

B) This character is Masterforce Ginrai or has an analogous origin, and is now permanently or temporarily orange - then he's bloody Fire Guts Ginrai.

C) This character's origin is unrelated to Masterforce but the orange represents a powered up form - then unless they name him something different he's still bloody Fire Guts Ginrai.

While I appreciate that the letter of the law here is that his name is just Ginrai the spirit of law shows that he is deliberately designed to be intentionally evocative of a specific incarnation of the character Ginrai.

This all said I look forward to arguing with you in person! See you there man.

Plus Fire Guts is just way cooler than plain old Ginrai. Just let it happen Sabrblade. Don't get too worked up about it man.
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Firepower: 9

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 10, 2014 1:23 pm

It's not about the fiction, it's about the integrity of toy publicity.

It's like when people refer toys of Strika and Tankor as "Stryka" and "Tankorr", and consider those the official names.

Journalistic honesty/authenticity and that stuff. :PEACE:

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Rated X » Sat May 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
MGrotusque wrote:
Rated X wrote: Just rock some black sweatpants and a fresh pair of Nikes and that shirt can go anywhere. A shirt doesnt make someone look nerd. Not having swag is what makes someone look nerd.

Ive worn transformer shirts to bars and strip clubs and met girls. Its called self confidence. Guess not being a nerd also helps too.
Rated X
Banned
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Sabrblade wrote:It's not about the fiction, it's about the integrity of toy publicity.

It's like when people refer toys of Strika and Tankor as "Stryka" and "Tankorr", and consider those the official names.

Journalistic honesty/authenticity and that stuff. :PEACE:

In all honesty, the site hardly ever gives the proper trademarked names of the figures, only the boxset. And judging from the faint names on the side, it looks like we're going the 2006 route:

"Pirate Cannonball"
"Pirate Ferak"
"Pirate Scorponok"
"Knight Devcon"
"Knight Ginrai"
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Intelligence: 9
Skill: 5

Postby It Is Him » Sat May 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Rated X wrote:
MGrotusque wrote:

Ive worn transformer shirts to bars and strip clubs and met girls. Its called self confidence. Guess not being a nerd also helps too.

Girls at strip clubs don't care what you look like as long as you give them money. Besides, you're a nerd. You have hundreds of posts on a message board about cartoon robots, and could probably name everyone that was released 1984. Own it. It's cool. I'm a nerd, too, and it's okay. You can do it with whatever swag is, but you are still a nerd and that's not a bad thing.
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Diem » Sat May 10, 2014 4:30 pm

It Is Him wrote:
Rated X wrote:
MGrotusque wrote:

Girls at strip clubs don't care what you look like as long as you give them money. Besides, you're a nerd. You have hundreds of posts on a message board about cartoon robots, and could probably name everyone that was released 1984. Own it. It's cool. I'm a nerd, too, and it's okay. You can do it with whatever swag is, but you are still a nerd and that's not a bad thing.

"I've worn a T-shirt I purchased without irony at a convention about children's toys that are transforming alien robots and met girls. It helps that I'm not a nerd."

Just kidding Rated. But your swag must be stronger than mine. I could maybe pull in a logo shirt, possibly the BotCon 2011 shirt but not this nerdy beauty. Unless the girl was nerdy or a nerd-lover too, but that's not really the point.
Diem
City Commander
News Credits: 217

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 10, 2014 6:47 pm

It Is Him wrote:Besides, you're a nerd. You have hundreds of posts on a message board about cartoon robots, and could probably name everyone that was released 1984. Own it. It's cool. I'm a nerd, too, and it's okay. You can do it with whatever swag is, but you are still a nerd and that's not a bad thing.
Preach it, brother! ;)^

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby YoungPrime » Sat May 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Which ones are Knights and which are Pirates?

Looks like only Scorpinok is a Con though
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Convention and Event Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #135 2nd ptg DC Comics 2023 0323DC857 (W) Zdarsky (CA) Jimenez"
BATMAN #135 2nd pt ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #40 2nd ptg Marvel Comics 2020 JAN208947 (CA) Ottley 231222P"
NEW!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1 Marvel Comics 2023 JUN230883 (CA) Silva (W) Phillips"
SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WEBSPINNERS Tales of Spider-Man #2 with Sinister Six Marvel Comics 1999"
WEBSPINNERS Tales ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #30 var Marvel Comics 2021 JUL210675 (CA) Garron"
MILES MORALES SPID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #1 Lunar Retailer Appreciation Foil DC Comics 1222DC860 (CA) Campbell"
SUPERMAN #1 Lunar ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERMAN #1 Cvr P 1:100 DC Comics 2023 DEC222898 1P (CA) Campbell (W) Williamson"
SUPERMAN #1 Cvr P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #136 Cvr B DC Comics 2023 0423DC002 136B (W) Zdarsky (CA) Quesada"
BATMAN #136 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #1 var Deadpool Marvel Comics 2022 NOV210850 (CA) Liefeld 220928"
SHE-HULK #1 var De ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BEN REILLY SPIDER-MAN #1 1:10 design Marvel Comics 2022 OCT211022 (CA) Jurgens"
BEN REILLY SPIDER- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1073 Cvr B DC Comics 2023 0423DC197 1073B (CA) Jones"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20 Marvel Comics 2023 DEC220758 (W) Kelly (CA) Romita Jr"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #10 Spider-Man Marvel Comics 2022 FEB220997 (CA) Segovia (W) MacKay"
MOON KNIGHT #10 Sp ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Symbiote Spider-Man Crossroads #1 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2021 (CA) Del Mundo"
Symbiote Spider-Ma ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON