This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: Age of Extinction Not a Reboot, Says Producer

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Transformers: Age of Extinction Not a Reboot, Says Producer

Postby ScoutBumblebee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:16 am

Motto: "Increase efficiency.... Or be terminated."
Weapon: Shoulder-Mounted Mega-Blast Missile Cannons
In an interview today with The Hollywood News, Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, producer of Transformers: Age of Extinction, made it clear that the fourth installment will not be a reboot. While he was mainly chatting about upcoming film Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Di Bonaventura was asked if he could share anything about the upcoming Transformers film. Specifically, if it will be a completely different story line, or if it would share past events with the other films.

Di Bonaventura states that while the film does have a whole new cast, and none of the human characters from the previous movies, it is a continuation. A continuation of an existing story line, in an existing story universe, just with fresh faces and a new story.

The Hollywood News]Image

See the full excerpt below:

It’s definitely not a reboot. It’s an interesting question about what you should call it. On a certain level it’s a continuation of the previous stories, in the fact that it acknowledges what has transpired before it. It acknowledges in the last movie, the destruction of Chicago, it’s actually something that carries through the sort of emotional repercussions of that, not unlike 9/11 has emotional repercussions in the real world. In a fantasy world there are repercussions to what occurred.

That plays into the movie, moving forwards with a totally different human cast, who doesn’t know anything about the other humans, it’s not a reboot, but a continuation, yet you’re continuing with a new cast and group of characters. It was a big decision to do that.
We miss our friends that we did the first three with, and they were great, and they probably could’ve done more. But the advantage of doing it this way is that it feels almost like a first movie. It’s a very different dynamic than I’ve seen in a movie, I’m very curious. I guess Star Wars did that a little bit, but not so close together, the way we’re doing it.’
OK, fine. More talk.
ScoutBumblebee
Fuzor
News Credits: 86
Buy from ScoutBumblebee on eBay
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction Not a Reboot, Says Producer

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 am

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword
Sounds pretty hype. Even if it is basically just the same thing we've heard before. I think this just puts it more in perspective. :michaelbay:
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:56 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
There are folks who still think it's a reboot? It taken place in the aftermath of Chicago's destruction from the last movie. Of course it's not a reboot.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Megatron Wolf » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 am

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
ok we get it its not a reboot, it should be a reboot though
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 10

Postby Autobot Megatron » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 am

Motto: "That's just prime..."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Do the Cybertronians really not count anymore? I'm so tired of hearing it's with no returning characters, yet we have at least Prime and 'Bee returning.
:BANG_HEAD:
Smelt it, I'm going to bed.
Autobot Megatron
Like Nemisis Prime, but cooler.
Autobot Megatron
Fuzor

Postby Burn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Sabrblade wrote:There are folks who still think it's a reboot? It taken place in the aftermath of Chicago's destruction from the last movie. Of course it's not a reboot.

I think it's less a case of "thinking" and more a case of "in denial and hoping".

'cause you know, they actually believe they're going to get what they want if they continue to complain about the movies.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 am

Burn wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:There are folks who still think it's a reboot? It taken place in the aftermath of Chicago's destruction from the last movie. Of course it's not a reboot.

I think it's less a case of "thinking" and more a case of "in denial and hoping".

'cause you know, they actually believe they're going to get what they want if they continue to complain about the movies.
Sad, but true.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 am

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
I find the comparison of a fictional event with 9/11 kind of... gross. Maybe its an apt analogy, but I don't like the fact that he had to go there to make his point. And I'm far from an american or fan of america.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby njb902 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am

MINDVVIPE wrote:I find the comparison of a fictional event with 9/11 kind of... gross. Maybe its an apt analogy, but I don't like the fact that he had to go there to make his point. And I'm far from an american or fan of america.

So you have no issue with the fictional war, but you draw the line at 9/11?
njb902
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby njb902 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am

MINDVVIPE wrote:I find the comparison of a fictional event with 9/11 kind of... gross. Maybe its an apt analogy, but I don't like the fact that he had to go there to make his point. And I'm far from an american or fan of america.

njb902
Gestalt

Postby primematrix1986 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:38 am

In other recent news, President Lincoln has been shot.
primematrix1986
Micromaster
Watch primematrix1986 on YouTube
Buy from primematrix1986 on eBay
Strength: 10+

Postby primematrix1986 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:38 am

Seriously though, I think we get it now. This movie is almost like part one.....yet, its part four in the franchise. I have compared it to Star Wars sense the continuity has been discussed. Its a whole new start, yet the past matters. Lets just hope that this movie doesn't ruin a new trilogy..... :michaelbay:
primematrix1986
Micromaster
Watch primematrix1986 on YouTube
Buy from primematrix1986 on eBay
Strength: 10+

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 pm

njb902 wrote:

I didn't draw any lines, I just think it's lame to compare a fake event intended to entertain with a real event that cost real lives, all because they need to try so hard to impose emotion into a fantasy movie.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby njb902 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:11 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:
njb902 wrote:

I didn't draw any lines, I just think it's lame to compare a fake event intended to entertain with a real event that cost real lives, all because they need to try so hard to impose emotion into a fantasy movie.

So things that cost lives, like wars.
njb902
Gestalt

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm

njb902 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
njb902 wrote:

Too bad you don't understand me, I thought you were capable. Forget I said anything.

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt

Postby njb902 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:
njb902 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
njb902 wrote:

Too bad you don't understand me, I thought you were capable. Forget I said anything.

No I understand what you're saying perfectly. 9/11 was a particular incident that generates a image for people of the one time event that killed upwards of 3, 000 people. So the comparison in or with fiction bothers you.
njb902
Gestalt

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Autobot Megatron wrote:Do the Cybertronians really not count anymore? I'm so tired of hearing it's with no returning characters, yet we have at least Prime and 'Bee returning.
:BANG_HEAD:
Smelt it, I'm going to bed.

I think the fact that the robots are not considered returning characters speaks volumes about how these movies were written and conceived. The Transformers are about as relevant as characters as the asteroid in Deep Impact.

Transfans seriously need to stop supporting these travesties.
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Postby Burn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Transfans seriously need to stop supporting these travesties.

I should stop being entertained because YOU'RE not entertained? Image
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:38 pm

No matter how much we fans wish it weren't so, the Transformers in these movies are considered mere special effects products rather than starring role characters. They're non-human, nonexistent objects created by computer animation in a live action work that does feature real human stars, so they aren't looked on as being the stars of the films.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Burn wrote:
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Transfans seriously need to stop supporting these travesties.

I should stop being entertained because YOU'RE not entertained? Image

I mean, if you enjoyed the last two ... uh, go nuts I guess?

My comment was more aimed at fans who find the movies are terrible, but keep seeing them either out of a misplaced hope they'll improve or a weird sense of obligation. Which has been my experience. It's clear that the people making these movies don't care about the characters we care about. Actually, it's pretty clear that they don't care about any characters, period, but they especially don't care about the Transformers.
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Postby ScoutBumblebee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Motto: "Increase efficiency.... Or be terminated."
Weapon: Shoulder-Mounted Mega-Blast Missile Cannons
I guess the way it seems to a lot of people is that, with an entirely new cast of people, that it must be a reboot. Folks who are interested in seeing the movies, but not necessarily interested in Transformers, see the Cybertronians as special effects because they aren't people. Unfortunate, but true.
OK, fine. More talk.
ScoutBumblebee
Fuzor
News Credits: 86
Buy from ScoutBumblebee on eBay
Strength: 4
Firepower: 9

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BOULDERCRASH Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
BOULDERCRASH Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Deluxe Predacon Hasbro 2022"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEEDLENOSE + SUNBEAM + ZIGZAG Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe 2023 New"
NEEDLENOSE + SUNBE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K38 RED ALERT Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Walgreens 2021 New"
WFC-K38 RED ALERT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OVERRIDE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Voyager 2022 New 231203A"
OVERRIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TARANTULAS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Predacon Spider Hasbro 2022 New"
TARANTULAS Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEAD END Transformers Legacy Deluxe Stunticon Menasor Hasbro 2022 New"
DEAD END Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERTRON Transformers Legacy United Voyager Class Prime Hasbro 2024 New"
THUNDERTRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLUDGEON Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Hasbro 2023 New"
BLUDGEON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANTAGONY Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2023 New"
ANTAGONY Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JHIAXUS Transformers Legacy Voyager Class G2 Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK NOW**"
JHIAXUS Transforme ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON