This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

The Voice of Prime: Garry Chalk Interview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

The Voice of Prime: Garry Chalk Interview

Postby Va'al » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Our friends at Madman Entertainment group were able to recently sit down and have a chat with voice actor Garry Chalk, the voice of Optimus Prime in the Unicron Trilogy and Optimus Primal in Beast Wars and Beast Machines. He talks about his early days, and how he got into the business, the difference between the two roles, the evolution of the industry and more! Check out the embedded video below.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: The Voice of Prime: Garry Chalk Interview

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:04 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
I like the guy, he's hella talented, and mainly the reason (along with David Kaye) why I love Beast Wars so much, but it looks like he's letting himself go a little there... Still, I wouldn't mind meeting him at a convention sometime, haven't had the chance yet.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:20 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I bet this interview will be included on Madman's Armada DVD set, which begs the question of why they could get this bonus feature on their DVD set while Shout! Factory couldn't (or wouldn't). :-?

Garry describes the difference between his portrayals of Primal and Prime, saying that Primal was more family-like and fatherly, able to get mad and frustrated and feel more human, while Prime was more militaristic like a military leader who does things military-like. Based on past interviews, It's no secret as to which role he enjoyed and which role he did not like much at all. :P
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
While I really do love that Peter Cullen is still able to perform as O.P. in so. Jch media, I really do wish they would get Gary Chalk to voice Prime in the next installment (the cartoon, that is.)
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Can't wait to see the ones they'll have with him for the Energon and Cybertron releases, those will be utterly amazing and hilarious to watch.

Giant Lizard? Calling it, Godzilla.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby welcometothedarksyde » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Motto: "My anaconda don't..."
Dammit, why do all the Beast Wars voice actors have to be such cool people. Even though he doesn't know everything about the franchise he still seems to enjoy having been a part of it.
welcometothedarksyde
Combiner
News Credits: 5
Watch welcometothedarksyde on YouTube

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
welcometothedarksyde wrote:Dammit, why do all the Beast Wars voice actors have to be such cool people. Even though he doesn't know everything about the franchise he still seems to enjoy having been a part of it.

He does!
He also collects Optimus figures. :D

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Dead Metal wrote:Can't wait to see the ones they'll have with him for the Energon and Cybertron releases, those will be utterly amazing and hilarious to watch.
I'm not expecting Madman to have separate Garry Chalk interviews for all three series since this one seemed to cover Garry's TF work in a general overview manner rather than specifically covering his Armada work.

But one thing I'd like to hear from him would be an explanation for yawning performance of "Monoptimus Prime" in the Armada episode that debuted Thrust and Jetfire. What was he thinking speaking every line in that episode with zero traces of any kind of emotion? Even his worst performance in Energon looked like a masterpiece compared his performance in that episode. :BANG_HEAD:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Speed: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Emerje » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Man, I would love an episode, special, movie, anything that would be able to get Peter Cullen and Garry Chalk working together.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 229
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby BumbleDouche » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:33 am

Motto: "The right to think & behave stupidly is a privilege too often abused."
Weapon: Tissue Demolecularization Gun
I always remember spotting his live-action performance in the Watchmen movie... I wasn't looking directly at the screen at the time, but when I heard his voice I instantly turned around. A welcome surprise!
"Megatron is the proof that tyranny is the finest form of government, under the right tyrant."
BumbleDouche
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Fighter Jet
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cover B IDW Comic Book 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 5B (CA) Whitman"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 6B (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT SLUDGE Transformers Studio Series 86-15 Movie Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
DINOBOT SLUDGE Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E18 AIRWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E18 AIRWAVE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Movie Anniversary Edition Optimus Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON