This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Seibertron.com Interviews Sarah Stone

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Seibertron.com Interviews Sarah Stone

Postby Va'al » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Thought we were gone for long? We are always here, lurking, waiting, and pestering IDW Publishing creators until they agree to sit down and graciously talk to us about what they're doing with the Transformers! We have a really recent newcomer to the franchise, comics and Seibertron, so please extend a warm welcome to the artist behind the soon to appear Windblade mini-series: Sarah Stone!

Va'al - Sarah, it's a pleasure to be able to have a chat with you, thanks again for agreeing to do this! My first question, as has been with everyone we've interviewed, is the following: where did it all begin? What was your first encounter with our favourite Robots in Disguise?

Sarah - Hello Va'al, it is my pleasure. Thank you for inviting me!

Image by Madman Entertainment

It all began with Beast Wars for me. I was a little too young to experience G1 in all its glory, so by the time I was old enough to watch TV on my own, Beast Wars was what was on. I remember that it was absolutely incredible for me because I was obsessed with dinosaurs so it played right to my interests. I had just seen Jurassic Park so dinosaurs were my world. I wanted to be an archaeologist or draw dinosaurs for the rest of my life, so robot dinosaurs just blew my mind. Actually come to think about it, maybe this was the beginning of my love for the 'cons since I clearly preferred the Predacons.

Va'al - Another of my generation! I had no idea what Transformers really were in terms of fiction, other than the Beast Wars series. Was that your only exposure to the franchise though? Were you interested enough to track down older comics, did you spring for some of the toys?

Sarah - I never heard anything about the comics back then unfortunately, and didn't do much looking into it, though I kind of randomly remember having a Dinobot toy. He probably had lots of fun with all my other dinosaur toys (poor dude was all alone).

Transformers sort of dropped off of my radar after Beast Wars, I'm sad to say. The Michael Bay movies put them back on my radar, but I was left sort of wanting. I was considerably more interested in the robots than the human characters, so sadly even after the movie I fell off the Transformers train again. It wasn't until I discovered Transformers Prime that I fell off the deep end and rediscovered my intense love for the world again. Through the Prime fandom I ended up finding out about IDW's More Than Meets the Eye, and Robots in Disguise and well... now I'm ruined forever.

Va'al - This is getting eery now, that sounds very similar to my own experience - though I had a few more toys back then! Before we move into the comics, though... What was it in particular about the Transformers: Prime animated series that caught your eye? The stories, the artwork/animation, the characters, something else?

Sarah - Haha, that's crazy! Hmm, It was a combination of a lot of things I think. The sort of more organic designs, the darker tone, great writing, really expressive animations... it was like a quadruple combo to everything I didn't even know I wanted.

I think after watching one episode I ended up marathoning every episode I could get my hands on in a single night. The team did a fantastic job sucking me into the world and I was insatiable. I wanted more - I had to know more about these characters and their history.

Va'al - Binge-watching is apparently a good thing, under some aspects. Do we endorse it? Not necessarily. But still... So where did you head to find more? Was it the two ongoing series by Barber and Roberts and the respective artistic teams, or did you go via some other fiction first?

Sarah - Yeah, the ongoings were my next target. I had some friends that were kind enough to lend me some trades to read while I was traveling, and honestly it was becoming a little hard for me to go anywhere on the internet without bumping into awesome fan art (read: spoilers) of both series, so I knew I had to get on board fast or else I was going to get everything second-hand.

But outside the comics I started retroactively checking out the other series like Transformers: Animated and G1 just out of growing fondness for all of the characters. I'm also currently mid playthrough on Fall of Cybertron but I'm stuck because it makes me so motion sick! It's really the saddest thing.

Va'al - So you did effectively branch out as much as possible! That is impressive, even I haven't got into the games yet. Too focused on the comics. And life, I suppose. Who would you say your favourite character, present or past, in any part of the fiction, would be? And why?

Sarah - Gosh that's hard, I have so much love for so many of them. I guess I always end up having a soft spot for Starscream in almost any incarnation. I just have a thing for the really slimy, insufferable ones.

He's such a fascinating mix of horrible yet sympathetic, but always entertaining. He'll stir up trouble anywhere you inject him, and I love him for that. I really can't choose. I'm loving the IDW Robots in Disguise/Dark Cybertron one right now.

Va'al - I think a lot of fans have a soft spot for Starscream, to some extent. Voice actors notwithstanding. So now we know about you as a fan, let's find out about you as an artist! How did you start out, personally? How did you first venture into artistic endeavours?

Sarah - I've always been drawing, at least as long as I can remember holding pencils and crayons. As a kid I always drew my favorite video game characters and cartoons, before I even knew that was a thing. I grew up with so many animated movies, especially Disney movies, I dreamed of working for them and being an animator. I was fortunate and my parents were always extremely supportive and provided me with Photoshop and even a Wacom tablet at an early age.

It only took a few forays into dabbling with hand drawn and 3d animation before I realized that I am actually a terribly impatient person. Working on a few seconds of animation could take weeks, and an illustration I could finish in an evening or two, so I started slowly gravitating toward illustration as I got older.

Va'al - And if Disney was your influence and aspiration for the animation that never was, what would you say the influences are in your illustration work?

Sarah - That's a tough one, I always feel like I have a hard time pinpointing influences because I'm honestly inspired by so much. Concept art for games and movies have always found space on my shelf in art books, and there are just so many amazing illustrators putting their work up on the net, and I've had the privilege of working with many -- I'm constantly inspired. But I also love taking cues from some more classic work, like J.C. Leyendecker and my recent discovery of Richard Macdonald.

When it comes to illustrating Transformers though, some of the concept art that comes out of Jagex for Transformers Universe has really inspired me to push the rendering of metal and the different materials the bots are made of. And when it comes to the comics, I have to admit being a huge fangirl for Milne and how expressive his bots are. I can only hope to be able to bring life to them in a similar way.

Va'al - Well, I think the time has come to ask *the* question -- how did you make it to not only IDW, but your own mini-series with Mairghread Scott? Did you pitch? Were you selected?

Sarah - I really believe it's because I'm the luckiest girl on the planet, it's really kind of a crazy road. Mairghread had actually messaged me once on Tumblr to tell me that she loved the human Soundwave [see above - V.] illustration I did, which, knowing that she was a writer for Prime and being a fan, was enough to just make my day. Or week. I was really happy.

It wasn't until I was tabling at a comic convention over a year later that the stars aligned and Mairghread and her husband actually bumped into my table, entirely by accident. I tried not to freak out at her too much, and they both actually invited me to help out on a project pitch that they were looking for an artist for. I very excitedly obliged and kept in touch with them over the next month or so while we worked together, and one day Mairghread gave me a call and said something like, "Hey we're kind of looking for someone to work on something Transformers related... would you like me to throw your name in the hat?"

I said yes, of course, and I submitted some work and did a test page, and I suppose they liked it enough to take a chance with me. I'm eternally grateful to Mairghread for putting me under the eyes of the powers that be, and also to all the guys at IDW for giving me this chance.

Va'al - Wow, that does sound like a really lucky set of coincidences - but from what we've seen, they are working with the skills and output which is already of a really high standard. What's the most exciting part of working for IDW, on Transformers, and for a new character?

Sarah - Aside from the obvious of just working of something I absolutely adore (I used to draw this stuff just for fun, you mean I get paid to do it now?), I think it's just such an incredible time to be involved with what IDW is doing for Transformers. The stuff that Barber, Roberts, and Mairghread are doing is just really exciting, and it is crazy to be a part of it, even in the smallest way.

Windblade is just a puzzle piece (but hopefully a really cool puzzle piece) of an awesome picture they are painting, and I'm just really humbled to be working on it. It seems like kind of a cheesy answer, but I really am stoked.

Va'al - Surely you're the one painting it, and they're setting up the canvas! Sarah, may I say personally I am really looking forward to the new mini-series, and I know quite a few our readers are too. Before we let you get back to making art, and me to hunt down another creator to question, any final words to round off your first interview for the fandom?

Sarah - And thank you too, Va'al! It was really a pleasure, thank you for having me. I just want to say thank you to everyone who's been supporting and pre-ordering the mini-series, It means the world to me and I hope I don't let you down. If anyone's interested in seeing more of my stuff, you can check me out on my blog or DeviantART, or say hello on Twitter!

We will find out more of Sarah's work as Transformers: Dawn of the Autobots - Windblade hits. If you want to make sure you get your hands on this, and the other two ongoings - check out how to preorder the issues here! Thanks again for sticking with us for another interview on Seibertron.com, keep your optics tuned in, as there is still much much more to come.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Seibertron.com Interviews Sarah Stone

Postby hinomars19 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:49 am

Motto: "never forget what you don't know"
Weapon: Blunt Force Battle Clubs
I've always enjoyed the work of female artists more, it's why I gravitated to Manga so quickly as soon as I knew of it's existence. Love or hate the concept, that human Soundwave is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. And I don't mind the concept as long as it's done right! :D

I also like how the internet and fanart has led her to this job. She has talent, more artists out there deserve to be involved in the franchise, so it's awesome one like her finally actually got the break!

IDW, Hasbro, find more of these people. Please. The work deserves it.

Cheers Va'al!
hinomars19
Targetmaster
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10+
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby Mindmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Huzzah, another Starscream lover!
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby MINDVVIPE » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:43 am

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
She has a nice art style, but I don't like the vehicle art so far. Just doesn't look exciting to me. Hopefully that's only the case with Windblade.
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Va'al » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 pm

It's nice to see people who did not grow up with G1 getting involved, as they clearly have a different perspective on the characters and franchise.

It was really weird finding the parallels between Sarah's introduction to Transformers and my own! :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Optimizzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Motto: "One look at me and you're lost."
Weapon: Requiem Blaster
wow. she looks so young. Her art is nicely done. I'm not a fan of manga primarily because of the visual conventions they use. So long as she stays away from that, I will be quite happy. :)
I have been into transformers since 1984.
While I love G1 I also love new innovations and takes on the characters.
I prefer official Hasbro releases of stuff for the most part
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese original Transformers media or designs.
It's easier for me to say which are my LEAST favorite toy lines: Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise.
TFCon List: Classics Skywarp, General Optimus, BW Airrazor, Transmetal Tarantulus, Alternity Prime, Fire Convoy
Optimizzy
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Intelligence: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby Mindmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Va'al wrote:It was really weird finding the parallels between Sarah's introduction to Transformers and my own! :D

You two were meant for each other. :x 

Optimizzy wrote:wow. she looks so young.

ಠ_ಠ

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Va'al » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Mindmaster wrote:
Va'al wrote:It was really weird finding the parallels between Sarah's introduction to Transformers and my own! :D

You two were meant for each other. :x 

Naah, we're the same person. Except for the skillz and a contract with IDW.

Optimizzy wrote:wow. she looks so young.

ಠ_ಠ

You're a baby, rookie.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Mindmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Va'al wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:ಠ_ಠ

You're a baby, rookie.

Oh, yeah? Well... you're a wizard, Harry! [-(

Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby hinomars19 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Motto: "never forget what you don't know"
Weapon: Blunt Force Battle Clubs
Va'al wrote:It's nice to see people who did not grow up with G1 getting involved, as they clearly have a different perspective on the characters and franchise.

It was really weird finding the parallels between Sarah's introduction to Transformers and my own! :D

Who could not get hooked on Transformers after seeing the charisma that is Beast Megatron? :D
It is good that the franchise keeps getting fresh blood and the ideas and perspectives that come with it.
I can't help but smile when I see someone's jumping on point was Beast Wars, I think it really was a good show, and showcased everything that keeps Transformers what it is; Good characters, a clear balance between the good and bad guys (in characterization, importance and power) a sense of fun and not taking it's premise too seriously but delivering good serious stories and arcs, and toys that really surprised you-'whoah that Gorilla is now a robot??!'
Also, I can always salute a Jurassic park fan! I hope she continues throughout IDW's TF titles :D
hinomars19
Targetmaster
Endurance: 10+
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby Downbeat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Motto: "Can't think and I'm feeling fine."
Weapon: Electro-Disruptor
This is great! Can't wait to buy Windblade and support her work.
Downbeat
Minibot
Speed: 9
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 3

Postby Diem » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:01 pm

I enjoy the art. It's clean without lacking in detail.
Diem
City Commander
News Credits: 217

Postby daningotham » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Awesome interview, thanks for that. I am fairly new to this site but I am really happy I discovered it. It's awesome. Glad to see there are so many other Transformers fans out there.
daningotham
Mini-Con

Postby BadFlipKC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm really excited for this, I can't wait to see what they've come up with!
BadFlipKC
Mini-Con
News Credits: 4

Postby kaijuguy19 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:38 pm

It's awesome that the first ever series she watched was Beast Wars. That was the show I grew up on too. Her art is pretty amazing too so it'll be a treat to see her art in a full issue. :D
kaijuguy19
Minibot
Watch kaijuguy19 on YouTube

Postby Vicalliose » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:07 am

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
I was considerably more interested in the robots than the human characters, so sadly even after the movie I fell off the Transformers train again.
Through the Prime fandom I ended up finding out about IDW's More Than Meets the Eye, and Robots in Disguise and well... now I'm ruined forever.
These words make my day. I may pick it up for the art, even if I utterly hate everything about Windblade with a massive burning fury. Besides, the art is probably the best part about the comic. Maybe it's not amazingly detailed, but the style pretty much fits in with the Mary Sue abomination the comic is all about, and it makes Windblade's design look slightly less completely horrible. Dunno about them bishounen 'male' bot designs though...

OHSNAP! THEY ALSO DREW THE ONLY SKIES OF ARCADIA FAN ART THAT ISN'T TERRIBLE OR GAY VYSE/GILDER SHIPPING. TOO BAD IT'S JUST AIKA AND VYSE IN A PHOTOBOOTH. :lol:
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 AUG221551 1A (A/CA) Rosanas (W) Kelly+Lanzing"
STAR TREK #1 Cvr A ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #1 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2022 JAN220999 (CA) Noto"
Star Wars HAN SOLO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK #5 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 DEC221412 5B (CA) Marron (W) Kelly + Lanzing"
STAR TREK #5 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK DISCOVERY ADV IN 32ND CENTURY #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 JAN220476 1A"
STAR TREK DISCOVER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #3 Cvr ZC 1:10 FOC Dynamite Comics DEC228479 3ZC (CA) Haeser"
GARGOYLES #3 Cvr Z ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars BOUNTY HUNTERS #22 Traitor Marvel Comics 2022 FEB221028 (CA) Renaud"
Star Wars BOUNTY H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars DARTH VADER #23 var Marvel Comics 2022 MAR221105 (CA) Okazaki (W) Pak"
Star Wars DARTH VA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr M 1:40 Dynamite Comics NOV220595 2M (CA) Fleecs + Forstner"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #3 var Marvel Comics 2022 MAR221102 (CA) Uesugi"
Star Wars HAN SOLO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STAR TREK DEFIANT #4 Cvr D RI 1:10 IDW Comics MAR231641 4D 4RI (CA) Unzueta"
STAR TREK DEFIANT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #5 Cvr J 1:20 virgin Dynamite Comics FEB230521 5J (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #5 Cvr J ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Wars HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #1 var Marvel Comics 2022 JAN221000 (CA) Shalvey"
Star Wars HAN SOLO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #7 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney APR230452 7D (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #7 Cvr D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Star Trek Strange New Worlds SCORPIUS RUN #5 Cvr D 1:10 IDW Comics OCT231347 5D"
Star Trek Strange ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Alpha Bravo Figure" on AMAZON