This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Masterpiece Star Saber Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Masterpiece Star Saber Discussion Thread

Postby SkyWarpt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Motto: "Having kids…the perfect excuse to be a kid"
Weapon: Scatter Blaster
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:Kinda feels more like a power ranger megazord than a transformer to me. :-?

You mean, Super Sentai mech ;) Not surprising, since Transformers took a more traditional Japanese turn after Headmasters, especially with Victory.

Didn't he exist before Power Rangers?
SkyWarpt
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 1
Buy from SkyWarpt on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: Infinity

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
SkyWarpt wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:Kinda feels more like a power ranger megazord than a transformer to me. :-?

You mean, Super Sentai mech ;) Not surprising, since Transformers took a more traditional Japanese turn after Headmasters, especially with Victory.

Super Sentai, the source material for Power Rangers, goes all the way back to 1975, or rather 1979 when the mechs were introduced. ;)
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Skill: 5

Postby wilcosu35 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
SkyWarpt wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Super Sentai, the source material for Power Rangers, goes all the way back to 1975, or rather 1979 when the mechs were introduced. ;)

i dunno, star saber has a large physical sword like most super sentai mecha, but his looks feel more like one of the transforming gundams, with the mouthplate, antenna and the bell-bottom legs. no to mention the use of red, blue and white with yellow accents.
'Met grijze worst, lekker warm, formaat afgeschoten kinderarm.
Wordt in Utrecht zeer terecht, al eeuwenlang het brood belegd'
wilcosu35
Headmaster

Postby Flashwave » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
wilcosu35 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
SkyWarpt wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

i dunno, star saber has a large physical sword like most super sentai mecha, but his looks feel more like one of the transforming gundams, with the mouthplate, antenna and the bell-bottom legs. no to mention the use of red, blue and white with yellow accents.

I don't really see either right off, He's too clunky for what I think of as being a Gundam, there have been plenty of blocky Gundam mechs, but the quintessential Gundum robots to me are far more humanoid in appearence, lithe in the limbs, and armor fairly obviously being added onto a frame. I can sorta see hints and elements in the combined form's mask or Saber's wing shield, though. and when I think Megazord, I think something more along the lines of the Gestalts but again, blockier and more solid vehicle kibble. Bt then, my only experience with Megazords have been the train from the 90s (That I actually never owned myself) and the Solar Zord (?) train a decade later which as compartments in its arms and legs that are conviently minicon sized. ;)
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Skill: 9

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 am

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Star Saber's look was based on Gundam as that was the most popular show/toyline in Japan at the time. Ya know it's getting close to release time and I'm getting really nervous, what if there is some horrible design flaw like MP Rodimus that just ruins the toy for 95% of collectors?
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Official Images - Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-24 Star Saber

Postby Va'al » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
For once, Hisashi Yuki is not the source of an extensive look at the lovely and soon to be released Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-24 Star Saber. Thanks to the Dengeki Hobby website, we get a full look at the various parts of the figure, from the Brain of Courage, to Saber to the V-Star and all the various combinations and accessories that come along with the bot. We have seen some of these shots in various formats before, but check them all out mirrored below in case you missed some!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Super Megatron » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Motto: "Smashing Optimus Prime toys is the freedom of all sentient beings."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
The more I see this figure, the more I want to get it. It's an awesome fig for the most kickass Autobot leader ever.

Engineering-wise, I'm impressed by how they managed to make the head turn with the Brainmaster feature AND a large head put over the small head while the large head is on an articulated arm.
Super Megatron
Vehicon
News Credits: 16
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity

Postby shajaki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
with all yuki has shown us, youd think theres nothing left to see, or left to hype.

guess not!
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Flashwave wrote:
wilcosu35 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
SkyWarpt wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

I don't really see either right off, He's too clunky for what I think of as being a Gundam, there have been plenty of blocky Gundam mechs, but the quintessential Gundum robots to me are far more humanoid in appearence, lithe in the limbs, and armor fairly obviously being added onto a frame. I can sorta see hints and elements in the combined form's mask or Saber's wing shield, though. and when I think Megazord, I think something more along the lines of the Gestalts but again, blockier and more solid vehicle kibble. Bt then, my only experience with Megazords have been the train from the 90s (That I actually never owned myself) and the Solar Zord (?) train a decade later which as compartments in its arms and legs that are conviently minicon sized. ;)
How's about we try this kind of comparison? Star Saber's design is to Gundam what Gridman's design was to Ultraman.

The influence is there, but it's just not the same. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8

Re: Official Images - Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-24 Star Saber

Postby SkyWarpt » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Va'al wrote:For once, Hisashi Yuki is not the source of an extensive look at the lovely and soon to be released Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-24 Star Saber. Thanks to the Dengeki Hobby website, we get a full look at the various parts of the figure, from the Brain of Courage, to Saber to the V-Star and all the various combinations and accessories that come along with the bot. We have seen some of these shots in various formats before, but check them all out mirrored below in case you missed some!

Take away the attatchment to character (because I'm in no way attached to Star Saber) this may be the coolest MP in the line.
SkyWarpt
Headmaster Jr

Postby Crystiallic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Now, just add a Victory Leo and this will be perfect.
Crystiallic
Mini-Con

Postby Desslok2201 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 pm

For all the awesome that this and MP-10 are, they really are leaving a large hole in the line for decpticon leaders.
Desslok2201
Targetmaster

Postby Cyberstrike » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
That is an awesome looking toy.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Re: Official Images - Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-24 Star Saber

Postby shajaki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
SkyWarpt wrote:Take away the attachment to character (because I'm in no way attached to Star Saber) this may be the coolest MP in the line.
yup. theyve seriously pulled out all the stops for this figure. chosen by the fans, and treated with the utmost care and attention.

Last edited by shajaki on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby cramoptimus maximus » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Motto: "**** happens!"
Weapon: Battle Blades
Its a great figure, I love it, but I dont know why...

I am a completist, and I have all of the Takara MP's, including funky GOLD megatron, but I am not familiar with Star Saber, I dont have that special bond with it that comes directly from the cartoon and my childhood. Nevertheless, Its coming to be part of my collection, and I am sure it will be very special, but somehow, it just does not feel like an MP figure. It doesnt look like the transformation is very complex, it does not so much transform then just come together with other pieces to make a bigger robot to make a bigger robot. Maybe thats what feels weird to me... I am sure the feel and quality of it, as well as its cartoon and character accuracy makes it and qualifies it as an MP and so it is.

I kinda felt the same when the diecast content of the figures went out the window, prior to MP 10, I felt that a master piece figure ought to have a ton of diecast and weigh, well, a ton. But I got used to the change, and can see why that was necessary as well as having a good size scale, etc. Lets hope that this figure marks another great evolution for the masterpiece series.
cramoptimus maximus
Mini-Con
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Firepower: 10+

Postby Cyber Bishop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
.....wow.... that is all...... :shock:
Not a sheeple.
Think for yourself, don't let the magic TV box and social media do the thinking for you.
Question EVERYTHING!!
Just because you have a youtube review channel doesn't make you special.
No, I am not friendly online or in real life.
I look forward to attending a Botcon only to settle matters with idiots in person.
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 103
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Postby Tsutsukakushi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Think this is Takara's best work.
Tsutsukakushi
City Commander
News Credits: 4

Postby Convoy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 pm

I can't stop gushing over this figure. By only poring over all the great images I imagine I'll be transforming this guy a lot.
The ONLY THING that could make him better is if TakaraTomy planned for Victory Leo.
If Victory Saber happened my heart might stop. (I just hope Victory Leo isn't exclusive as only a boxed set for Victory Saber with Star Saber.)

It may have been on a Twincast I heard someone suggest that the Japanese Transformers series should have been imported to the US/exported from Japan during the Gundam/Macross boom.
I can understand the lack of connection people have with Star Saber. If the fourth season of G1 wasn't such an absolute stinker, if my desire to keep G1 going wasn't so strong, and if I didn't enjoy anime as much as I did when it was important, I still might care about this MP because of how amazing it looks.
My Primax fanon ends after KISS Players, Trigger and The Battle of the Star Gate.

R.I.P. Generation One

Then there's Drift, Windblade, and properly decoed reissues.
Oh yeah, and Alpha Bravo and Rook and whoever. 8-}
Information wants to be free.
Convoy
Fuzor
News Credits: 5

Postby SkyWarpt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 am

Convoy wrote:I can't stop gushing over this figure. By only poring over all the great images I imagine I'll be transforming this guy a lot.
The ONLY THING that could make him better is if TakaraTomy planned for Victory Leo.
If Victory Saber happened my heart might stop. (I just hope Victory Leo isn't exclusive as only a boxed set for Victory Saber with Star Saber.)

Maybe a 3rd party will jump on Victory Leo
SkyWarpt
Headmaster Jr

Postby fenrir72 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
SkyWarpt wrote:
Convoy wrote:I can't stop gushing over this figure. By only poring over all the great images I imagine I'll be transforming this guy a lot.

Speculation but I believe Tomy will have to build one.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 am

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
I may have asked this before but what's up with the short sword blade? I assume it's for Saber but did saber ever use the sword in the show? I also just noticed something, are there two nosecones? I see a size difference between the nosecone used as a hilt, and the one Saber has as a shield and in jet mode.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Firepower: 10

Postby MGrotusque » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:54 am

Does the combined figure have an Ab crunch?? It looks like it does.

That should be established as the next benchmark in Transformer articulation. I'm MORE than stoked that ankle tilts have become common place but the next step in evolution is the AB CRUNCH :michaelbay:

The ladies love a good ab crunch....just sayin >:oP
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Ironhidensh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:27 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
I'm kinda sad. First Masterpiece I have no desire to get (that isn't a repaint). Makes my wallet happy I guess. Probally because I known thing of this character and have no attachment whatsoever.

I'd like to see the results of a Hasbro MP fan poll.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Firepower: 10+

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Convoy wrote:My Primax fanon ends after KISS Players, Trigger and The Battle of the Star Gate.
Meaning... it ends before season 3 begins? :???:

fenrir72 wrote:
SkyWarpt wrote:

I fear that some 3rd party is already planning a Victory Leo to go with this, knowing that since Takara won't be doing a Victory Leo soon enough people will be all over the third party one and jump on it before Takara even gets theirs off the ground.

chuckdawg1999 wrote:I may have asked this before but what's up with the short sword blade? I assume it's for Saber but did saber ever use the sword in the show? I also just noticed something, are there two nosecones? I see a size difference between the nosecone used as a hilt, and the one Saber has as a shield and in jet mode.
The smaller sword blade and smaller nosecone are indeed meant to be the blade and hilt for a smaller sword for Saber to wield, while the bigger blade and bigger nosecone are the blade and hilt for the Saber Blade wielded by Star Saber in his "Battle Up!" form.

Ironhidensh wrote:I'm kinda sad. First Masterpiece I have no desire to get (that isn't a repaint). Makes my wallet happy I guess. Probally because I known thing of this character and have no attachment whatsoever.

Wouldn't happen since Masterpiece is Takara's baby. Hasbro doesn't make MPs. Only time they did was with the Masterpiece Offshoot Targetmaster that came with Hasbro's Rodimus, but that figure only vaguely resembled Firebolt at all, much less how he looked in the cartoon.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Speed: 7

Postby fenrir72 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Sabrblade wrote:
Convoy wrote:My Primax fanon ends after KISS Players, Trigger and The Battle of the Star Gate.
Meaning... it ends before season 3 begins? :???:

fenrir72 wrote:
SkyWarpt wrote:

I fear that some 3rd party is already planning a Victory Leo to go with this, knowing that since Takara won't be doing a Victory Leo soon enough people will be all over the third party one and jump on it before Takara even gets theirs off the ground.

chuckdawg1999 wrote:I may have asked this before but what's up with the short sword blade? I assume it's for Saber but did saber ever use the sword in the show? I also just noticed something, are there two nosecones? I see a size difference between the nosecone used as a hilt, and the one Saber has as a shield and in jet mode.
The smaller sword blade and smaller nosecone are indeed meant to be the blade and hilt for a smaller sword for Saber to wield, while the bigger blade and bigger nosecone are the blade and hilt for the Saber Blade wielded by Star Saber in his "Battle Up!" form.

Ironhidensh wrote:I'm kinda sad. First Masterpiece I have no desire to get (that isn't a repaint). Makes my wallet happy I guess. Probally because I known thing of this character and have no attachment whatsoever.

Wouldn't happen since Masterpiece is Takara's baby. Hasbro doesn't make MPs. Only time they did was with the Masterpiece Offshoot Targetmaster that came with Hasbro's Rodimus, but that figure only vaguely resembled Firebolt at all, much less how he looked in the cartoon.

Well, the fans better make sure to get Starsaber sold out else there's no incentive to make one (V Leo)for Tomy.

This btw is addressed to all fans out there.........support the 1st party first fellas. Sure a few years wait would kill us but in the end, an official upgrade is better over a 3rd.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Speed: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #6 DC Comics JAN233405 (A/CA) Owen (W) Cohen"
BATMAN & SCOOBY-DO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LOONEY TUNES #277 DC Comics 2024 0124DC157 (W/CA) Fridolfs (A) Pope"
NEW!
LOONEY TUNES #277 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 0324DC131 1A Perez"
NEW!
CRISIS ON INFINITE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUSTICE LEAGUE Vol 2 Villains Journey NEW 52 tpb DC Comics 0613DC116 Williams"
JUSTICE LEAGUE Vol ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #411 Facsimile Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 0124DC162 Blank Sketch"
NEW!
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #136 Cvr D DC Comics 2023 0423DC004 136D (W) Zdarsky (CA) Artgerm"
BATMAN #136 Cvr D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1070 Cvr F 1:50 DC Comics 2023 0123DC061 1070F (CA) Jones"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0723DC206 1A (CA) Perez"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ACTION COMICS #1054 Cvr B Superman DC Comics 2023 0223DC029 1054B (CA) Sandoval"
ACTION COMICS #105 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #798 DC Comics 2004 (CA) Jock (W) Gabrych + McCarthy 230915A"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPERBOY + RAVERS #1 DC Comics 1996 (A/CA) Pelletier + Davis 200610A"
SUPERBOY + RAVERS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Batman LEGENDS OF DARK KNIGHT #182 DC Comics 2004 (CA) Haberlin 230915A"
Batman LEGENDS OF ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEATHBLOW #1 DC Comics 2006 (CA) Platt (W) Azzarello (A) D'Anda 240317A"
NEW!
DEATHBLOW #1 DC Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1071 Cvr E 1:50 foil DC Comics 2023 0223DC051 1071E (CA) Jones"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Stripes" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON