This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - Peter Cullen Talks About Optimus Prime

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - Peter Cullen Talks About Optimus Prime

Postby Va'al » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
In an article published on USA Today, legendary Transformers voice actor Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime since the first iteration of the Transformers (though not all of them since), including the upcoming Age of Extinction version, gave some background information on the big bot's personality. Check it out below!

Optimus Prime has undergone quite a few vehicular makeovers in the past 30 years of Transformers projects, yet his earnest and heroic voice has never wavered, thanks to Peter Cullen.

For the big-budget Transformers: Age of Extinction, the actor once again reprises the role he's been playing since the 1980s Transformers cartoon. Now Prime and his Autobots have a new human ally (Mark Wahlberg) but they are in conflict with the evil Decepticons as well as the U.S. government.

"He is exactly who he was from the very original concept," Cullen says of Prime. "I've always felt a hero should have the qualities that are inspiring and helpful and fatherly and at the same time (be) courageous. I don't see those character traits changing at all."

Transformers is more than a lifetime gig as a transforming big rig for Cullen. It's also a family affair: His son Clay is a stuntman on Age of Extinction, and Cullen's brother Larry, a Marine who served in the Vietnam War and died in 2011, continues to be the inspirational foundation for Optimus' steady and strong tone.

"Though Larry's gone," Peter Cullen says, "he lives on in my mind as Optimus Prime because he was my hero."
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - Peter Cullen Talks About Optimus Prime

Postby Superwheeljack » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Motto: "The problem with loyalty to a cause is, that the cause will always betray you"
Weapon: Accelerator Rifle
Optimus seems to have lost hope in humanity… I think he's changed.
"This isn't how the story's supposed to end."
—Smokescreen giving a middle finger to the tried and true leadership inheritance patterns.

"You do know that I vanquished Cliffjumper, don't you?"
"Big whoop. I snuffed Hardshell."
—Starscream finally gets his "I killed Cliffjumper" boast shut down by Miko.
Superwheeljack
Vehicon
News Credits: 34
Watch Superwheeljack on YouTube
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:08 pm

always feel a bit sorry for peter as try as he might with whatever script he's given by the writers - bay clearly doesnt see prime the same way he does.in fact im having a hard time believing bay knows what a real hero is period.

maybe ill be surprised by the new film but i cant help thinking itll take a new director before we get to see the prime of the comics and season 1 on the big screen.

i hope cullens still about and gets the chance to deliver a honest to goodness inspiring prime speach on the big screen at some stage in the future. but so far nothing bays done can even match his animated death scene from the 80s. which is unforgivable considering the money thrown at the live action films writers.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Motto: "I wish I could hate you to death."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
partholon wrote:always feel a bit sorry for peter as try as he might with whatever script he's given by the writers - bay clearly doesnt see prime the same way he does.in fact im having a hard time believing bay knows what a real hero is period.

maybe ill be surprised by the new film but i cant help thinking itll take a new director before we get to see the prime of the comics and season 1 on the big screen.

i hope cullens still about and gets the chance to deliver a honest to goodness inspiring prime speach on the big screen at some stage in the future. but so far nothing bays done can even match his animated death scene from the 80s. which is unforgivable considering the money thrown at the live action films writers.

Honestly, after some thought, I would blame the writers more than I would blame Bay. Since TF4 has new writers, I feel a little more optimistic. I still expect it to be an explosion fest with little character development (I blame Bay for THAT), but at least there won't me any more d*ck and fart jokes like in RotF.
TheLocalBard! My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/TheLocalBard

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander
News Credits: 18
Alt Mode: Transmetal Insect and Helicopter
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
Weapon: Sword
partholon wrote:always feel a bit sorry for peter as try as he might with whatever script he's given by the writers - bay clearly doesnt see prime the same way he does.in fact im having a hard time believing bay knows what a real hero is period.

Prove it.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
News Credits: 37
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Alt Mode: The entire universe
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 pm

end of the day its bays film.

he calls the shots on the final form of the script. i tend to give ROTF a pass cause thanks to the writers strike it was basically all bay anyway and it was his idea to go with the twins the way they did.

in fairness to the guy he did seem to take notice of the flak they got on the dick and fart jokes ans while still to bloody long dark of the moon was a good step up from that.

i dont wish to sound too negative, i enjoy the films for what they are and bay is undeniably a fantastic action movie director. the flow of the films is very exciting visually . but theres NO character in em for the bots n cons. its all image.

they really should be on a par with stuff like the avengers on that front. where you get the feel of a genuine ensemble cast with their own back stories and motivations. as opposed to prime and what ever random collection of bodies named after characters we all know but they look and act feck all like.

TBH at this stage i reckon the only way well get that is in direct to video flims with marvel or something . prehaps adapting the classic stories ala what DC has been doing with its characters. cause right now i reckon the studios see TF live action films as a cash cow that theyll keep as close to what weve seen so far as they can as it nets em a billion a go.
partholon
Headmaster Jr

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
Prove it.

simple.

revenge of the fallen. when opitimus prime tracked down and executed a defeated opponent by shooting him in the head.

to paraphrase a quote from the franchise "thats not prime".

bay had the autobots acting like a death squad FFS. thats how megatron does things.

and thats before you get to the whole "face ripping " stuff later on.
partholon
Headmaster Jr

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Motto: "If my first sacrifice wasn't enough, maybe you would prefer to pay with your funky blood."
partholon wrote:end of the day its bays film.

he calls the shots on the final form of the script. i tend to give ROTF a pass cause thanks to the writers strike it was basically all bay anyway and it was his idea to go with the twins the way they did.

in fairness to the guy he did seem to take notice of the flak they got on the dick and fart jokes ans while still to bloody long dark of the moon was a good step up from that.

i dont wish to sound too negative, i enjoy the films for what they are and bay is undeniably a fantastic action movie director. the flow of the films is very exciting visually . but theres NO character in em for the bots n cons. its all image.

they really should be on a par with stuff like the avengers on that front. where you get the feel of a genuine ensemble cast with their own back stories and motivations. as opposed to prime and what ever random collection of bodies named after characters we all know but they look and act feck all like.

TBH at this stage i reckon the only way well get that is in direct to video flims with marvel or something . prehaps adapting the classic stories ala what DC has been doing with its characters. cause right now i reckon the studios see TF live action films as a cash cow that theyll keep as close to what weve seen so far as they can as it nets em a billion a go.

Maybe if you actually look past just the images that show up on the screen, youll find the characters.

partholon wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Prove it.

simple.

revenge of the fallen. when opitimus prime tracked down and executed a defeated opponent by shooting him in the head.

bay had the autobots acting like a death squad FFS. thats how megatron does things.

So what? You expected him to let Demolisher continue to terrorize the planet? Maybe you missed the part in the animated movie when Optimus swept through Autobot City, murdered all those Decepticons, then proceeded to beat Megatron, and attempt to execute him on the spot. Again, you expect Optimus to let Decepticons run rampant on Earth? No. He's supposed to exterminate them before they become an even bigger problem.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:08 pm

he's the leader of an army.

the MORAL leader of an army. ya mightve noticed he DIDNT execute megs in the animated film cause thats not what a hero does to a hepless opponent. hence why his had was forced by hot rods intervention.

demolisher was defeated. all they had to do was pack him up and lock him away on their island base. and seeing as he had Intel on the fallen THAT would actualy make sense.

but no its punisher prime with a bullet to the head cause bay thinks thats cool.

and it is, its a bad ass moment, but its not optimus prime

bay has yet to portray prime the way cullen describes him. in fact he's yet to portray him in a way that wouldnt mark him a war criminal if he was a human doing the same stuff to human opponents.

and on the characters front.

you REALLY think he's captured ratchets character? name ONE bot he treats as a doctor over the entire trilogy? he doesnt even lift a finger to examine primes corpse in the second film.

if you changed the names of the entire supporting cast of bots the story would still make the exact amount of sense that it does now.

if you dubed the name "twinblade" for instance over every appearnce of sidesipe in the franchise it wouldnt change a thing about the character. in fact you could happily walk away convinced it was an entirely new character.

ironhides meant to be primes best friend and he dies entirely unremarked by him in the third film. that couldve been good emotional ammo for primes fight with sentinel but nothing was done with it.

the character arcs in these films are soley about the humans. not the transformers.
Last edited by partholon on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partholon
Headmaster Jr

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:16 pm

partholon wrote:he's the leader of an army.

the MORAL leader of an army. ya mightve noticed he DIDNT execute megs in the animated film cause thats not what a hero does to a hepless opponent. hence why his had was forced by hot rods intervention.

demolisher was defeated. all they had to do was pack him up and lock him away on their island base. and seeing as he had Intel on the fallen THAT would actualy make sense.

but no its punisher prime with a bullet to the head cause bay thinks thats cool.

bay has yet to portray prime the way cullen describes him. in fact he's yet to portray him in a way that wouldnt mark him a war criminal if he was a human doing the same stuff to human opponents.

you REALLY think he's captured ratchets character? name ONE bot he treats as a doctor over the entire trilogy? he doesnt even lift a finger to examine primes corpse in the second film.

if you changed the names of the entire supporting cast of bots the story would still make the exact amount of sense that it does now.

ironhides meant to be primes best friend and he dies entirely unremarked by him in the third film. that couldve been good emotional ammo for primes fight with sentinel but nothing was done with it.

the character arcs in these films are soley about the humans. not the transformers.

He didn't kill Megatron, because Hot Rod got in the way.

So, in exchange for putting Demolisher down in probably one of the most humane ways to terminate an enemy in war, it would have been just fine to harbor a prisoner of war for no reason? And if he ever got lose? Imagine the damage he would cause at the base. He'd likely even call in reinforcements and give away the Autobot's base of operations. And how is shooting someone in the head a war crime? Keeping an enemy as a POW like that is a war crime. They'd probably just leave him in a cage to starve to death.

In terms of Ironhide being Optimus's best friend, why do you think Optimus was so pissed off at Sentinel? Optimus has never been the kind of person to show his emotions so blatantly. When he blew Sentinel's face off, that was payback for Ironhide.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby partholon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 pm

ya mean like over the previous two years when demolishor was free to do just that but cringed in hiding from an autobot death squad instead like the rest of his kind ?

its not the autobots job to exterminate the decepticons, that'd make em just like them. its their job to stop them. prime in these films has been acting just like grimlock would if HE was running the autobots.

hot rod "got in the way" cause he was written that way as character device- cause flint dille and ron fridman knew they couldnt have prime execute a defenceless megatron without killing everything that makes him a heroic character.

but a guy using an autobot as sheild weilding a hidden weapon he was inching toward while lying his ass off. THAT guy you can kill.

bays prime in dark of the moon knew nothing of what happned to ironhide and just went on a psychopathic killing spree and actually threw away a chance a peace with the deceps .

and what planet are you on if you think shooting an unarmed combatant in the head isnt a war crime.

there are people in JAIL for that sort of thing right now.
partholon
Headmaster Jr

Postby ricemazter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
SlyTF1 wrote:
partholon wrote:
Maybe if you actually look past just the images that show up on the screen, youll find the characters.

SlyTF1 wrote:
Prove it.

simple.

So what? You expected him to let Demolisher continue to terrorize the planet? Maybe you missed the part in the animated movie when Optimus swept through Autobot City, murdered all those Decepticons, then proceeded to beat Megatron, and attempt to execute him on the spot. Again, you expect Optimus to let Decepticons run rampant on Earth? No. He's supposed to exterminate them before they become an even bigger problem.
[/quote]

In Autobot City the Decepticons were an invading force, and were killed by Optimus while they were still up and kicking, I.E. while they were still threats. Even with Megatron in that scene you can argue he was still a threat, especially after seeing what happened when Hot Rod intervened. Also, kup was the one who advocated for the execution, which Optimus didn't remark on, simply holding him at gun point.

Meanwhile in RotF, demolisher was completely immobile before Optimus executed him on the spot after making a witty quip. That is not something I would expect from Optimus as I've known him. Heck our law enforcement agencies tend to frown on gangster style executions, why shouldn't Optimus? Really the Autobots as a whole are uncharacteristically brutal throughout the entire movie series, like in DotM when the wreckers rip that Decepticon pilot out of his ship and literally quarter him in the most painful fashion possible, or again in DotM when Optimus pretty much does the exact same thing Megatron did to him in the 1986 moive, only this time Megatron was the merciful one.

It's not like the brutality is expressed for any sort of character driven reasons either. Like in Prime, it's actually brought up a few times that Prime should have killed Megatron multiple times, but didn't out of mercy, and it's actual a big bit of dynamism when he decides to confront Megatron and kill him at the end of season 1. In Bay's films I suspect that the Autobots callously execute members of their own species for the sake of onscreen spectacle, rather than making any commentaries on the characters themselves.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby ricemazter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
SlyTF1 wrote:

So, in exchange for putting Demolisher down in probably one of the most humane ways to terminate an enemy in war, it would have been just fine to harbor a prisoner of war for no reason? And if he ever got lose? Imagine the damage he would cause at the base. He'd likely even call in reinforcements and give away the Autobot's base of operations. And how is shooting someone in the head a war crime? Keeping an enemy as a POW like that is a war crime. They'd probably just leave him in a cage to starve to death.

In terms of Ironhide being Optimus's best friend, why do you think Optimus was so pissed off at Sentinel? Optimus has never been the kind of person to show his emotions so blatantly. When he blew Sentinel's face off, that was payback for Ironhide.

In our wars, summary execution of POWs is a war crime. We can't just kill a wounded enemy because we feel like it, the Geneva convention terms were written to prevent that sort of thing. Even POWs wounded in battle are supposed to be given medical treatment and not just put down because it would be inconvenient to house them. Shooting someone in the head during a conflict between able bodied combatants isn't a war crime, but summary executions are. Even knowing the kind of danger that Decepticons present, you'd think that someone with Optimus' supposed moral high ground would recognize that's a pretty bad thing to do to someone.

It actually might be a pretty neat commentary on the horrors of war given that both the Autobots and Decepticons in these movies afford themselves pretty much the same level of battlefield courtesy, but given that it's never brought up in the films at all and that all the promotional materials we get keep acting like these are the classically moral characters we all know and love I doubt this is the case.
ricemazter
Fuzor

Postby autobot1979 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm

ya mean like over the previous two years when demolishor was free to do just that but cringed in hiding from an autobot death squad instead like the rest of his kind ?

its not the autobots job to exterminate the decepticons, that'd make em just like them. its their job to stop them. prime in these films has been acting just like grimlock would if HE was running the autobots.

hot rod "got in the way" cause he was written that way as character device- cause flint dille and ron fridman knew they couldnt have prime execute a defenceless megatron without killing everything that makes him a heroic character.

but a guy using an autobot as sheild weilding a hidden weapon he was inching toward while lying his ass off. THAT guy you can kill.

bays prime in dark of the moon knew nothing of what happned to ironhide and just went on a psychopathic killing spree and actually threw away a chance a peace with the deceps .

and what planet are you on if you think shooting an unarmed combatant in the head isnt a war crime.

That is when you are wrong...
Demolishor was a treat for autobots and humans, is not worth of living a being like that.
Prime could never make a deal with Megatron, He is a mercenary, doom , bringer, thats would kill his own mother.
Sentinel was about to kill Prime, so He is never more trustful .What Prime should do? Forgive him? After Ironhide`s death? AfTER they tried to kill all the autobots by Strscreem? And tried destroys earth and make human kind as slaves? Does Sentinel deserved to live??
Its all fantasy , but in places like BRAZIL where day by day police fight crime organized, is a war, or you kill or you die!
autobot1979
Micromaster

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:29 pm

partholon wrote:ya mean like over the previous two years when demolishor was free to do just that but cringed in hiding from an autobot death squad instead like the rest of his kind ?

It is their job to exterminate them. It doesn't make them just like the Decepticons. The only difference between the Autbots and Decepticons, anyway is that Decepticons will go to extreme measures to get what they want. Neutralizing a threat is not an extreme measure. And how the hell wouldn't Optimus know about what happened to Ironhide? You don't think someone would have told him what that huge pile of rust out in front of the base was? Also, Optimus would never accept a truce with the Decepticons. Why should he after all they've done?

Anyway, I think that was done to show how war changes people. Optimus started off begging for peace, and Megatron started off being ruthless. And at the end of DOTM, they had both basically taken each other's positions. It's irony.

ricemazter wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

In our wars, summary execution of POWs is a war crime. We can't just kill a wounded enemy because we feel like it, the Geneva convention terms were written to prevent that sort of thing. Even POWs wounded in battle are supposed to be given medical treatment and not just put down because it would be inconvenient to house them. Shooting someone in the head during a conflict between able bodied combatants isn't a war crime, but summary executions are. Even knowing the kind of danger that Decepticons present, you'd think that someone with Optimus' supposed moral high ground would recognize that's a pretty bad thing to do to someone.

It actually might be a pretty neat commentary on the horrors of war given that both the Autobots and Decepticons in these movies afford themselves pretty much the same level of battlefield courtesy, but given that it's never brought up in the films at all and that all the promotional materials we get keep acting like these are the classically moral characters we all know and love I doubt this is the case.

In real life, you don't get the chance to take the "moral high ground." Movie Optimus is more of a realistic interpenetration of what Optimus Prime was. It's kill one to save thousands.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Woah, what happened to this topic? :O

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander

Postby ricemazter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
SlyTF1 wrote:
It is their job to exterminate them. It doesn't make them just like the Decepticons. The only difference between the Autbots and Decepticons, anyway is that Decepticons will go to extreme measures to get what they want. Neutralizing a threat is not an extreme measure. And how the hell wouldn't Optimus know about what happened to Ironhide? You don't think someone would have told him what that huge pile of rust out in front of the base was? Also, Optimus would never accept a truce with the Decepticons. Why should he after all they've done?

Anyway, I think that was done to show how war changes people. Optimus started off begging for peace, and Megatron started off being ruthless. And at the end of DOTM, they had both basically taken each other's positions. It's irony...

...In real life, you don't get the chance to take the "moral high ground." Movie Optimus is more of a realistic interpenetration of what Optimus Prime was. It's kill one to save thousands.

In a realistic interpretation, Optimus would have been tried as a war criminal for not taking the moral high ground (heck Impactor was tried and imprisoned for doing exactly what Prime does here). As a character he's supposed to be the hero, moral archetype that we all should look up to which includes mercy. I think someone else already mentioned that this version of Prime is more akin to the Punisher than anything else, who is not a heroic character. I'd be fine with this portrayal of Prime if the needs of the many thing was actually explored in the movies, like it was in the Prime TV show. But here, the brutality is exploited for spectacle without any serious attempts at building these characters.

In terms of saving people though, Prime isn't very good at that here either as he decides to follow a plan that engages a dangerous fugitive in a highly populated area, probably resulting in the injury or death of a couple hundred along the way. Again, if this issue was explored at all, I'd be fine with it, yet they still choose to characterize Prime as this figure for all that is good and just despite not doing that in his actions.

It would be nice if the movies themselves appreciated the ironies they keep creating, but the Autobots and Decepticons in these things started off the way they are and keep up their brutal ways throughout.
ricemazter
Fuzor

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:55 pm

ricemazter wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

Anyway, I think that was done to show how war changes people. Optimus started off begging for peace, and Megatron started off being ruthless. And at the end of DOTM, they had both basically taken each other's positions. It's irony...

...In real life, you don't get the chance to take the "moral high ground." Movie Optimus is more of a realistic interpenetration of what Optimus Prime was. It's kill one to save thousands.

In a realistic interpretation, Optimus would have been tried as a war criminal for not taking the moral high ground (heck Impactor was tried and imprisoned for doing exactly what Prime does here). As a character he's supposed to be the hero, moral archetype that we all should look up to which includes mercy. I think someone else already mentioned that this version of Prime is more akin to the Punisher than anything else, who is not a heroic character. I'd be fine with this portrayal of Prime if the needs of the many thing was actually explored in the movies, like it was in the Prime TV show. But here, the brutality is exploited for spectacle without any serious attempts at building these characters.

In terms of saving people though, Prime isn't very good at that here either as he decides to follow a plan that engages a dangerous fugitive in a highly populated area, probably resulting in the injury or death of a couple hundred along the way. Again, if this issue was explored at all, I'd be fine with it, yet they still choose to characterize Prime as this figure for all that is good and just despite not doing that in his actions.

It would be nice if the movies themselves appreciated the ironies they keep creating, but the Autobots and Decepticons in these things started off the way they are and keep up their brutal ways throughout.

Tried as a war criminal in a one sided war? Who would hold the charges against him? Megatron? Doubtful.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby Mindmaster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:Woah, what happened to this topic? :O

That's what I want to know...
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 8
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
wait so how has primes character not changed? last i checked he never executed a defeated enemy, never condoned death squad mentality or actions, never said anything like "kill them all" and not once did he rip someones head off up until bayformers. Prime went from being an actual hero to a borderline decepticon. Killing in the heat of battle is one thing but to gun down a helpless adversary who cant defend themself at all is not heroic. Id expect that from megatron or an anti-hero like spawn or deadpool but optimus prime no way in hell, i dont even think he would have killed megatron in the 86 movie because it just goes against what he stands for. He doesnt even show any kind of remorse for the lives hes taken. Optimus protects life he doenst destroy it, and thats just one of the many things wrong with bayformers.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby T-Macksimus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Y'all are just pissy because Prime is finally "humanized". You think Peter's brother was never placed in a difficult situation during his combat times? Do you honestly think that you have the right to attribute characteristics to this fictional, iconic character more so than the man who voices the character, who gives life to Prime and basically channels anothers soul into the essence of this character?

Get your asses shot at, have the lives of a platoon of soldiers or, better yet, the lives of 7 billion innocent bystanders forced to deal with a war YOU brought into their backyard and try to tell me you won't do WHATEVER it takes to make it end. You'd kill your own men, your own family members to save 7 billion lives and you'd let that decision torture your soul until you drew your last breath but you'd still make the same damn call. THAT is the kind of dedication a Marine has and THAT is what Cullen is drawing on for inspiration to give voice to Prime. A brother whom he loved dearly and whose loyalty and dedication to his family and his country was unyielding.

What WE think Prime should be doesn't mean jack-sh** compared to that. I salute Peter, I salute his brother and honor him by accepting Prime for how he his in any story. If Peter has an issue with how Prime is portrayed by the writers or any director, you can damn well bet he's going to stand up and say something about it. The whole thing falls apart if he decides to walk out at any point. Bay knows it, the writers know it and you can bet your whole bot collection on the fact that Cullen knows the power he commands too.
This whole damn thread spiraled out of control needlessly and senselessly. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Lets get back to paying Peter some respect and just leave it at that!
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt
News Credits: 1

Postby ricemazter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tried as a war criminal in a one sided war? Who would hold the charges against him? Megatron? Doubtful.

The point is that if this Optimus matched the heroic and just Optimus that has been established as a character by years of transformers continuity, and in text by these movies, he shouldn't be commiting war crimes at all. Megatron, on the other hand would have executed Optimus, as that's what the decepticons have been doing for years, and is their established character trait.

For the sake of argument though, the Autobots would have tried him as they, again take the moral high ground. Autobot war crimes against the Decepticons were tried in an Autobot court run by the Aequitas computer in the comics. That's how Impactor was shipped off to Garrus 9 after summarily executing Squadron-X.
ricemazter
Fuzor

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:37 pm

T-Macksimus wrote:Y'all are just pissy because Prime is finally "humanized". You think Peter's brother was never placed in a difficult situation during his combat times? Do you honestly think that you have the right to attribute characteristics to this fictional, iconic character more so than the man who voices the character, who gives life to Prime and basically channels anothers soul into the essence of this character?

Get your asses shot at, have the lives of a platoon of soldiers or, better yet, the lives of 7 billion innocent bystanders forced to deal with a war YOU brought into their backyard and try to tell me you won't do WHATEVER it takes to make it end. You'd kill your own men, your own family members to save 7 billion lives and you'd let that decision torture your soul until you drew your last breath but you'd still make the same damn call. THAT is the kind of dedication a Marine has and THAT is what Cullen is drawing on for inspiration to give voice to Prime. A brother whom he loved dearly and whose loyalty and dedication to his family and his country was unyielding.

What WE think Prime should be doesn't mean jack-sh** compared to that. I salute Peter, I salute his brother and honor him by accepting Prime for how he his in any story. If Peter has an issue with how Prime is portrayed by the writers or any director, you can damn well bet he's going to stand up and say something about it. The whole thing falls apart if he decides to walk out at any point. Bay knows it, the writers know it and you can bet your whole bot collection on the fact that Cullen knows the power he commands too.
This whole damn thread spiraled out of control needlessly and senselessly. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Lets get back to paying Peter some respect and just leave it at that!

My point, exactly.
I Am.
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube

Postby ricemazter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
SlyTF1 wrote:
T-Macksimus wrote:Y'all are just pissy because Prime is finally "humanized". You think Peter's brother was never placed in a difficult situation during his combat times? Do you honestly think that you have the right to attribute characteristics to this fictional, iconic character more so than the man who voices the character, who gives life to Prime and basically channels anothers soul into the essence of this character?

My point, exactly.

I don't think anyone here was criticizing how Peter Cullen portrays Optimus Prime or saying that the emotion he puts into the character is anything less than a sincere reflection of him channeling his personal hero, his brother, into his art form. However, Peter Cullen has voiced Prime through numerous iterations of the role, whether it be the fun romp that was G1 or the Bayformers franchise, and each interpretation can be analyzed as significantly different from the one before.

I don't see why we can't calmly discuss the merits of one particular interpretation over the other, and give criticism on a movie where criticism is due. Attributing characteristics to characters and reflecting on their actions is a big part of how we get at the core of a fictional world and the creative center that artists like Cullen add to them.

If anything, I dislike how Bay and the writers have handled these characters, and can still find room to appreciate Cullen's heartfelt performance. I too would like to salute him and his brother while maintaining my criticisms of these films and character portrayals.
ricemazter
Fuzor

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

T-Macksimus wrote:Get your asses shot at, have the lives of a platoon of soldiers or, better yet, the lives of 7 billion innocent bystanders forced to deal with a war YOU brought into their backyard and try to tell me you won't do WHATEVER it takes to make it end. You'd kill your own men, your own family members to save 7 billion lives and you'd let that decision torture your soul until you drew your last breath but you'd still make the same damn call. THAT is the kind of dedication a Marine has and THAT is what Cullen is drawing on for inspiration to give voice to Prime. A brother whom he loved dearly and whose loyalty and dedication to his family and his country was unyielding.

Wait, I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you're implying that a solder would just as easily kill his own mother as he would an enemy solder if the lives of others were at stake. That doesn't exactly fill me with comfort, but again, I'm not sure I read it right.

Groovy
Fires_Of_Inferno
City Commander

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #32 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231222L"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0923IM465 6B (CA) Ward (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BEAST WARS ANNUAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 FEB220440 (CA) Miller"
Transformers BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM897 (CA) Fornes (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #1 3rd ptg Im ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210456 1B (CA) Padilla"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of OPTIMUS PRIME #1 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210461 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 4D GI JOE 0124IM250 (CA) Clarke (W) Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #3 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 3A (CA) Thomas"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 1B GI JOE 1023IM260 (CA) Aja (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr B Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 SEP210479 10B (CA) Williams II"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM323 6E (CA) Quinones"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926O"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231010J"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #22 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 BOLD NEW ERA 22B APR200730 (CA) Griffith"
TRANSFORMERS #22 C ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Series PK Bruticus Action Figure	B3899" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Autobot Topspin and Freezeout" on AMAZON