Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Rogue-Primal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:12 am

Motto: "I hate Decepticons but Autobot traitors are the worst."
Weapon: Particle Beam Rifle
I wanted to create a thread where we can share stories about those times you've bought a figure only to find out it had a quality control issue?

Here are some of mine
1- Power of the Primes Landmine: This one was one the most annoying cases i've had since i like him as a character. Bought him at a Toys'R'us and bought him and me and my friend went to a hamburger joint nearby. While i was eating and was unpackaging him. (i often open before getting home), i found out that i got one with bad shoulder joint because of plastic deficiency on the yellow plastic. So i went back and got him exchanged for a Submarauder figure the same day (which is a decent figure). Took me a week to buy a new Landmine and found one without bad joints.

2- War For Cybertron Siege Stakeout & Red Heat: Had a few annoying joint problems with Red Heat's hip balljoints although my friend warned me about them but i had hoped i didn't have the same bad luck but a bit of paperwad inside the joints made Red Heat more stable.

3- 2007 Movie Deluxe 1974 Camaro Bumblebee: The locking mechanism for keeping the car hood locked tight in vehicle mode never worked properly for me even if i did everything corectly. I never had one from any second production runs that got this fixed. So mine had "hair trigger" sensitivity and even if i left it untouched it would've untransformed at some point ranging from a few hours days or even looking at him causing him to unfold, fall off a shelf or knock something over.

Whats your stories of breakage or other problems?
User avatar
Rogue-Primal
Vehicon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Iceland
Alt Mode: White Lamborghini Murcielago with black stripes
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 6

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby SpikeyTigertron » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:43 am

Rogue-Primal wrote:I wanted to create a thread where we can share stories about those times you've bought a figure only to find out it had a quality control issue?

Here are some of mine
1- Power of the Primes Landmine: This one was one the most annoying cases i've had since i like him as a character. Bought him at a Toys'R'us and bought him and me and my friend went to a hamburger joint nearby. While i was eating and was unpackaging him. (i often open before getting home), i found out that i got one with bad shoulder joint because of plastic deficiency on the yellow plastic. So i went back and got him exchanged for a Submarauder figure the same day (which is a decent figure). Took me a week to buy a new Landmine and found one without bad joints.

2- War For Cybertron Siege Stakeout & Red Heat: Had a few annoying joint problems with Red Heat's hip balljoints although my friend warned me about them but i had hoped i didn't have the same bad luck but a bit of paperwad inside the joints made Red Heat more stable.

3- 2007 Movie Deluxe 1974 Camaro Bumblebee: The locking mechanism for keeping the car hood locked tight in vehicle mode never worked properly for me even if i did everything corectly. I never had one from any second production runs that got this fixed. So mine had "hair trigger" sensitivity and even if i left it untouched it would've untransformed at some point ranging from a few hours days or even looking at him causing him to unfold, fall off a shelf or knock something over.

Whats your stories of breakage or other problems?



Weird ball joints, i'm not sure i'd really file under QC, especially for something as small as micro/prime/head masters.


The SS Camero Bee, and Siege Starscream chest were known issues, but I've never seen them as "deal breakers".


Probably the worst QC issues I've had is with paint/sticker wear on various figures. A lot of the Prime Wars Trilogies had dodgy ball joints, but that still seems like part/parcle of the balljoint technology.
SpikeyTigertron
Pretender
Posts: 797
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Here's one people might not think about as much, but can a thorn in my particularly OCD eye for detail: mismoldings. Basically when parts come out warped, have excess plastic (flash), or even worse, parts have molded "dents" in them, possibly because of air pockets trapped between the two halves of any given set of molds.

I have... quite a few of those actually. I must have the same luck as that one reviewer who keeps complaining about loose hip joints. :BANG_HEAD:

But my personal worst QC, one that made me exchange a figure only to have it break some time later? PCC Skyburst. My first copy had two of the same lower legs. Fine, exchanged it, it was good. Some time later, the ball joint sockets started cracking and bam, broken. Weak plastic? Limbs moving in directions they shouldn't for the sake of the modes? Who knows, all I know is Power Core Combiners is a personal QC nightmare. His redeco Darkstream, Searchlight and his redeco Windburn, Steelshot's partner Beacon and Leadfoot all suffered breakage. :-(
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17780
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Omegatron. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am

Motto: "When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
I've had a few toys with frozen joints.

I had a Sky Lynx with one of his rear knee joints reversed, preventing it from going into combined-mode shoulder position, and a Siege Shockwave with a thigh that wouldn't rotate. Both of these got returned for replacements.

One of the HFGs that came with my UW Computron had part of its thumb reversed, which stopped the thumb from folding flat in either direction. It still works as a hand though so I didn't bother returning it.
User avatar
Omegatron.
Micromaster
Posts: 91
News Credits: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:19 pm
Location: England
Alt Mode: Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby carytheone » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I'm sure I have others, but the one that bugs me the most is CW Bonecrusher. One of the pins that hold his toes one is inserted at an angle and is sticking out. It doesn't cause much of an issue, but just annoys the hell out of me. The worst part is that it's not like I could have just gone swapped that one figure. I've had a few nasty paint flaws that's caused me to return figures as well.
User avatar
carytheone
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9496
News Credits: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Rogue-Primal » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Motto: "I hate Decepticons but Autobot traitors are the worst."
Weapon: Particle Beam Rifle
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I have... quite a few of those actually. I must have the same luck as that one reviewer who keeps complaining about loose hip joints. :BANG_HEAD:


Baltmatrix? I think hip joints really have it out for him. I remember when he reviewed BW Generations Rhinox (the tan anniversary one) had really bad knees too.
User avatar
Rogue-Primal
Vehicon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Iceland
Alt Mode: White Lamborghini Murcielago with black stripes
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 6

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Zeedust » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Motto: "Nothing says more about us than the futures we left behind."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Studio Series Rampage. I bought one and the joint on the right shoulder was completely floppy. SO I returned it and got another one. Thatone had a completely floppy hinge where the left arm folds into the torso for transformation. So I took THAT one back, got a third one, which had the same problem as the first one. The fourth one ALSO had the same problem as the first one. Finally, I'm on my fifth, maybe sixth, Rampage (I lost track), and it has some looseness in the left side hinge, but not as much as Rampage number two did... SO I decide screw it, this is probably as good as I'm going to get.


My first thought when the Skipjack listing was revealed was "Oh no, not again." Seriously, if I have to go through this again with the yellow one, my Devastator's just gonna have a red leg, because I don't want to do that again.

EDIT: Also, my SS Long Haul doesn't fit together properly in vehicle mode, and I just got CW Devastator today and my Hook has two left hands. I have bad luck with Constructicons in general, apparently.
Zeedust
City Commander
Posts: 3073
News Credits: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 pm
Buy from Zeedust on eBay
Alt Mode: Uncategorized techno-organic ground vehicle
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Rank: N/A
Courage: 2
Firepower: 6
Skill: 3

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Rogue-Primal » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 am

Motto: "I hate Decepticons but Autobot traitors are the worst."
Weapon: Particle Beam Rifle
A few more :RID-BOTS: minicon flaws. Minicon Draconis energon headpiece is too tight when your want to remove it. Tricerashot's horn cannons also get really stuck. One of regular red Slipstream arm bucklers just loves falling off.
Lastly black Bludgeon's tiny hands can be really loose sometimes.
User avatar
Rogue-Primal
Vehicon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Iceland
Alt Mode: White Lamborghini Murcielago with black stripes
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 6

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Rogue-Primal wrote:A few more :RID-BOTS: minicon flaws. Minicon Draconis energon headpiece is too tight when your want to remove it. Tricerashot's horn cannons also get really stuck. One of regular red Slipstream arm bucklers just loves falling off.
Lastly black Bludgeon's tiny hands can be really loose sometimes.


I got one in that department: Beastbox's armor. One of the upper arm pieces broke in half (possibly after a fall) and one of the "knuckle dusters" has a stress mark down the middle, and looks ready to break too.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17780
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Rogue-Primal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 am

Motto: "I hate Decepticons but Autobot traitors are the worst."
Weapon: Particle Beam Rifle
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Rogue-Primal wrote:A few more :RID-BOTS: minicon flaws. Minicon Draconis energon headpiece is too tight when your want to remove it. Tricerashot's horn cannons also get really stuck. One of regular red Slipstream arm bucklers just loves falling off.
Lastly black Bludgeon's tiny hands can be really loose sometimes.


I got one in that department: Beastbox's armor. One of the upper arm pieces broke in half (possibly after a fall) and one of the "knuckle dusters" has a stress mark down the middle, and looks ready to break too.


Just googled him. It's a really good design for a minicon ;)^ Tough luck with his arm design prone to being fragile.
User avatar
Rogue-Primal
Vehicon
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Iceland
Alt Mode: White Lamborghini Murcielago with black stripes
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 6

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Rogue-Primal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Rogue-Primal wrote:A few more :RID-BOTS: minicon flaws. Minicon Draconis energon headpiece is too tight when your want to remove it. Tricerashot's horn cannons also get really stuck. One of regular red Slipstream arm bucklers just loves falling off.
Lastly black Bludgeon's tiny hands can be really loose sometimes.


I got one in that department: Beastbox's armor. One of the upper arm pieces broke in half (possibly after a fall) and one of the "knuckle dusters" has a stress mark down the middle, and looks ready to break too.


Just googled him. It's a really good design for a minicon ;)^ Tough luck with his arm design prone to being fragile.


Not the arms themselves, rather the armor pieces that attach to them.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17780
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby MadProject » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:27 am

Weapon: Sword
luckily, I didn't have too many QC issues over the year.

PCC Searchlight:
my copy came with a leg broken right out of the box.

MP-09B Rodimus Prime (Black Version)
As all the copies of this MP, my as well suffered for the knee issue.

MP-44 Sparkplug minifigure
Not a main QC issue, but the Sparkplug minifigure on my MP-44 copy has one leg stuck in the balljoint (probably the paints fsed together in assembling) and any attempt to unstuck it is stressing the small balljoint, so to avoid breaking it I'm not moving it anyway.
User avatar
MadProject
Minibot
Posts: 180
News Credits: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:30 am
Location: Italy
Alt Mode: Armored truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I've thankfully not had that many QC issues, but there are a few quite notable ones.

SS Shatter and Selects Red Swoop are really fragile pieces with some pretty dang loose parts.

My CW Mirage has a knee fused in place, I cannot pose his knee, and I have tried everything.

One of my 3 Siege Reflectors came with 2 left feet, so he cannot transform into flight mode properly.

I think those are about it.
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
Posts: 18645
News Credits: 1522
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Zeedust wrote:Studio Series Rampage. I bought one and the joint on the right shoulder was completely floppy. SO I returned it and got another one. Thatone had a completely floppy hinge where the left arm folds into the torso for transformation. So I took THAT one back, got a third one, which had the same problem as the first one. The fourth one ALSO had the same problem as the first one. Finally, I'm on my fifth, maybe sixth, Rampage (I lost track), and it has some looseness in the left side hinge, but not as much as Rampage number two did... SO I decide screw it, this is probably as good as I'm going to get.


My first thought when the Skipjack listing was revealed was "Oh no, not again." Seriously, if I have to go through this again with the yellow one, my Devastator's just gonna have a red leg, because I don't want to do that again.

EDIT: Also, my SS Long Haul doesn't fit together properly in vehicle mode, and I just got CW Devastator today and my Hook has two left hands. I have bad luck with Constructicons in general, apparently.

Floppy hinges can be tightened. My Studio Series Rampage, on the other hand, has two identical small tread sections instead of a mirrored set like he should.

...Does the guy in my avatar count? :-D :-P
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am

Motto: "Scale is also like Starscream in the G1 movie in that it's bad comedy."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Henkei Classics Voyager Optimus. Paid 80$ for him new, opened him up, and the loosest joints, and the door panels kept falling off :BOOM:

Overall, really soured me on the Classics mold.
One's red one's blue sometimes I want to ask god why he's played this cruel joke on us
User avatar
Nathaniel Prime
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 954
News Credits: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Zeedust » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Motto: "Nothing says more about us than the futures we left behind."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Floppy hinges can be tightened. My Studio Series Rampage, on the other hand, has two identical small tread sections instead of a mirrored set like he should.


Even pinned ones?

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:...Does the guy in my avatar count? :-D :-P

I think we should count Gold Plastic Syndrome as its own thing, if only because this could otherwise turn into the GPS thread.
Zeedust
City Commander
Posts: 3073
News Credits: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 pm
Buy from Zeedust on eBay
Alt Mode: Uncategorized techno-organic ground vehicle
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Rank: N/A
Courage: 2
Firepower: 6
Skill: 3

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Zeedust wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Floppy hinges can be tightened. My Studio Series Rampage, on the other hand, has two identical small tread sections instead of a mirrored set like he should.


Even pinned ones?
Yup. Just make sure to wiggle them a bit while it's happening so that they don't fully freeze up. Or you can let them get stuck in place and then carefully wiggle them into motion again. Done it lots of times myself.

Zeedust wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:...Does the guy in my avatar count? :-D :-P

I think we should count Gold Plastic Syndrome as its own thing, if only because this could otherwise turn into the GPS thread.
Fair enough.
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Nathaniel Prime wrote:Henkei Classics Voyager Optimus. Paid 80$ for him new, opened him up, and the loosest joints, and the door panels kept falling off :BOOM:

Overall, really soured me on the Classics mold.


Mine was as tight as be. Either you got a lemon, or one of the many KO's of that mold.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17780
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Cyclonus.jpg



#-o
Image
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Gestalt
Posts: 2345
News Credits: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby william-james88 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:42 pm

Image
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

Image
User avatar
william-james88
News Admin
Posts: 26326
News Credits: 2766
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:01 am

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Ah yes, a shining example of Takara's occasionally lackadaisical attitude towards plastic durability in the Masterpiece line.
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby Emerje » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Motto: "*Shrug*"
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
As a kid the helicopter half of my Flywheels figure exploded out of nowhere. I hadn't had it for very long, but one day I was connecting the two halves, pushed down, let go as you're supposed to do and the ends of the helicopter flew off into different directions. There must have been a weak part in the plastic that couldn't take the force of the springs and the pressure of being pushed together.

Later my G2 Snarl had a leg just randomly fall off without any sign of it coming. He has a T shaped pelvis/hips that the thigh slides on to transform, but the "hip" sheered clean off the "pelvis". The hips aren't articulated, they just slide in and out without much friction so there was no reason for it to come off other than a plastic issue.

then there's the ones that could maybe have been avoided if they planned better like PM Optimus Prime's trailer hitch peg breaking off in Prime's feet or the ends of the Seeker Jet's gun tips snapping off like twigs.

More modern, Titan Trypticon, but not the legs or doors like most people have, but one of his shoulder canons just slides off freely. There's enough friction to hold it on and it'll hold positions, but it can be pulled off with ease.

Then there's Throne of the Primes Optimus Primal who has all the rigidity of a rag doll. All of his joints are loose, he can't even stand on his own and if I do get him to somehow balance it doesn't take much for his knees and hips to let go. No wonder why the tired old man comes with a chair.

Of course there's also MP Beast Megatron. Haven't had a chance to fix his hips yet so I'm just waiting for those to blow up on their own before I find the time.

Emerje
User avatar
Emerje
News Staff
Posts: 5419
News Credits: 135
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Maine
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby TF-fan kev777 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 pm

For me, the worst is when something break on the very first transformation. Enter Earthrise Grapple. Thankfully, I have one coming from Hasbro Pulse in a couple week at 20% off from the Black Friday deal. This one I bought out of impulse/impatience and was going to return the one from Pulse at full price to Target. No need now, as he went back to Target today and I'll just wait on and keep my one from Hasbro Pulse.

Grapple breakage.jpg
TF-fan kev777
Godmaster
Posts: 1934
News Credits: 26
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Motto: "Why is asking for a no-disassembly clay impression of a head seemingly such an extreme request?"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Oh dear... What exactly was it that broke? I can't tell for sure.
WANT:
HFTD Starscream clay head impression
Energon Optimus firetruck; super mode hat
Optimus Primal missiles, left back panel, mask
CW Dead End or Offroad HFG, Breakdown HFG
Armada Thundercracker missile
Armada Optimus front left trailer strut, cheekguards
ROTF Jetfire right "JTFR" Panel
Armada Downshift
RID Ultra Magnus missiles
Vector Prime Cyber Key
Armada Jolt, Thunderclash, Clench
RID Galvatron foot/dragon head, smol beast arms, 1x launcher/sword hilt
User avatar
ZeldaTheSwordsman
City Commander
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am
Alt Mode: someone who doesnt suck

Re: Worst Quality Control issues you've had with a Transformers toy?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Oh dear... What exactly was it that broke? I can't tell for sure.


One of the pegs on the base of the crane.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos and Crashbash (just heads)
- TR Ravage and Rumble (the red one)
- PotP Punch head
- CW Dead End, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, among others
- Spare PotP Volcanicus hands
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17780
News Credits: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA; Delft, the Netherlands
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Vortex(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #251 - Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill
Twincast / Podcast #251:
"Bob Lobclaw's Rumor Mill"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, May 24th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Crosshairs New MIB NIB MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Alternators 2004 Dead End - Dodge Viper SRT-10 (Complete)" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION BUMBLEBEE, Flip & Change 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Gdo Dead End" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Crosshairs" on EBAY
Buy "transformers age of extinction crosshairs" on EBAY
Buy "Target Optimus Prime Transforming Gift Card Transformers Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Armada Unicron with Dead End Mini Con Exclusive Figure 2003" on EBAY