3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs

3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs

Thursday, February 24th, 2011 10:49am CST

Categories: Toy News, Sponsor News, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 41,200

Do you have a collection of G1 figures? Do you still have the Tech specs, and if so are they still intact?
Well if you don't, or they're no longer very pretty, then there is a solution!
A new 3rd party company by the name of "Atomic Laser" has sent us the following e-mail containing information on their first product:
A new third party offering is now available.

An entire 1984 set of reproduction Technical Specification Cards

Digitally recreated from the ground up as new super clean high resolution artwork. The art has been fine completely revamped. Color matching ensures consistency throughout every card in the set. Some fine tuning of graphical elements helps to really bring the whole set together as well. For example, all of the "coding" that obscures the power levels is done in the same style for all the cards.

This set is intended a a neat clean pristine collection of cards to accompany the original '84 toys. Certain artwork, like Bluestreak's, has been edited to resemble the actual toy. (Bluestreak is silver instead of Blue etc..)

Digitally Remastered
High Resolution Printing
Laminated for longevity

A special offer is being extended for the first ten buyers as well. The price per set of 28 cards in box with decoder is normally $34.95 however the first ten units will be sold for only $24.95.

This is the first of many new offerings to come from Atomic Laser!

You can visit their website by clicking here, you can even order the tech specks directly from them by going to the "toys" part of their website or you can order them from seibertron.com sponsor BigBadToyStore by clicking here!

Credit(s): Atomic Laser, bbts.com

This article was last modified on Thursday, February 24th, 2011 5:44pm CST

Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186522)
Posted by First-Aid on February 24th, 2011 @ 11:18am CST
This is a great idea, but this is WAY too close to copyright infringement. I've been looking for something like this for ages, but I'm worried what Hasbro may do. It's one thing to remake their figures without using their names, but this is a flat out rip off of their idea...especially if the names and pictures are the same as the original toys art.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186530)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on February 24th, 2011 @ 11:48am CST
...or I could just print them on cardstock using my printer.

This is one of those situations where I feel the word "Pass" is most appropriate.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186552)
Posted by Mkall on February 24th, 2011 @ 12:29pm CST
If I collected G1, I might see the value, but I don't so it's a pass.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186571)
Posted by Amelie on February 24th, 2011 @ 12:54pm CST
Really, really cool.

Really, really expensive.

If I could, I would, but I can't, so I won't.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186632)
Posted by T-Macksimus on February 24th, 2011 @ 2:24pm CST
I've got to agree with First-Aid. This is a very cool idea for those folks who no longer have their G1 Tech Specs/Cards (I'm not one of those folks) but unless the entire front of the package is one huge disclaimer written in bold print and sporting a picture of the sellers face firmly puckered to a Hasbro Executives ass, these guys are in for a world of trouble.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186659)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 24th, 2011 @ 2:53pm CST
Yeah, cuz Hasbro still uses this style of tech spec today. What's that? They haven't for, I dunno, ever? I don't see these being an issue for them. Oh and seriously, these are freaking rad.
:BOT:
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186682)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on February 24th, 2011 @ 3:31pm CST
Amelie wrote:Really, really cool.

Really, really expensive.

If I could, I would, but I can't, so I won't.

Ditto
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186716)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on February 24th, 2011 @ 4:42pm CST
Already been said. Interesting, but too expensive and a pass for me.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186721)
Posted by robofreak on February 24th, 2011 @ 4:55pm CST

I do smell a potential lawsuit with this, but at the same time Hasbro hasn't done anything about the other bootlegs so I don't think they'll do anything about this. If anything I don't think they actually care. I'm pretty sure that reprolabels doesn't bother them either.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186745)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on February 24th, 2011 @ 5:48pm CST
robofreak wrote:They are cool and a nice way to spruce up a collection, but it's at this point in the hobby that I question what the fandom is doing. There's obviously enough people buying G1 KO's that it's turned into the mess that we see today.

I really don't understand why Hasbro doesn't do something to stop those bloody KO's, surely it would be in their interests to do so???
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186750)
Posted by robofreak on February 24th, 2011 @ 5:55pm CST
The reason Hasbro can't really do much about it is because of copyrights I think. I stand to be corrected on this. I know the reason for it is explained in tfwiki.

Basically the actual rights to the G1 designs have expired so Hasbro can't bother with them. After a certain amount of time has passed, the ability for anyone to produce makes it free game.

There has to be a work around though. Hasbro probably isn't actually affected by it though.

Anyways, let's not turn this into a ethics issue here. Let's try to focus on the tech spec themselves. It was partially my fault for doing that.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186838)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 24th, 2011 @ 8:45pm CST

Why would they even bother with this? This isn't anything Hasbro is pursuing or making an attempt to reestablish. They have issued cease and desist orders to Reprolabels in the past(Or so we've been told). As far as I can recall, it was only about stickers sets that were supposedly harmful to the brand. Stuff like supporting smoking and smoking ads. It's why they don't sell the Diaclone Wheeljack set anymore. From my understanding, Reprolabels and 3rd party products are fairly safe. Safe until they start hitting the hundred plus dollars mark that is.
:BOT:
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186874)
Posted by robofreak on February 24th, 2011 @ 9:42pm CST
Flux Convoy: That's why I said they won't do anything about it. It's too small scale for them to really care.

That and looking at the price of the tech specs and talking to a couple friends in the printing business. This is most likely a break even operation.

I saw the creator made a post on TFW about wanting someone to do a video review of these. I think it would be better to do a standard write up for these since there's nothing that's worth showing on a video unless these can combine into Papertron or something.

Mini rant that I'll later turn into a thread. I hate video reviews. I would much rather read a review that has pictures. I base my opinions off those a lot better than on a video.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1186884)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on February 24th, 2011 @ 10:02pm CST
I don't get the freakout about copyright infringement here. You know what's worse? Faith Leader. Know what else is worse? The Quints, both Arcees, City Commander, Defender, all the various Energon Cubes, the "high quality" KOs, and every other thing mentioned throughout this section of the forum.

Anyhow, the price is balanced with the fact that this is all the tech specs from that line. Too bad I don't collect them ...
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1187033)
Posted by Astronopolis on February 25th, 2011 @ 11:44am CST
Whats with all the OMG INFRINGEMENT LAWSUIT talk? they're no longer used anymore, they have been altered from their original state, and they're CARDS.

ok rant over.

these are pretty BA, i can see these accompanying a nice Classics collection. Not a bad price really since you get an entire set, theyre all laminated and presumably printed on quality cardstock. I might get these down the line when i get a nice display going
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1187282)
Posted by Skyfire77 on February 25th, 2011 @ 9:29pm CST
Black Bumblebee wrote:...or I could just print them on cardstock using my printer.

This.

28 Specs for $35 + S&H?
You can fit probably five or six of them on a sheet of photo paper, and that's what, $2 a sheet?
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1210610)
Posted by El Duque on April 18th, 2011 @ 7:32am CDT
If you purchased Atomic Laser's G1-TSC-84 Reproduction Technical Specifications Card Set you'll be pleased to know they will be releasing sets for the 1985 line-up as well.

This set is volume 1 in a two part set for year 1985. Digitally recreated from the ground up as new super clean high resolution artwork. The art has been fine tuned. Color matching ensures consistency throughout every card in the set. The "coding" on this set is done in the 1985 style.

This is intended a a neat clean pristine collection of cards to accompany the original '85 toys. Certain artwork, has been edited to resemble the actual toy. (Proper toy colors on Astrotrain, Omega Supreme etc...) Digitally Remastered High Resolution Printing Laminated for longevity. Red Decoder is included.

Volume one is available for advance preorder at their website: Atomic Laser

According to their facebook page there will also be a booster pack that includes tech specs for the Powerdashers, Onmibots, and Reflector.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1210626)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 18th, 2011 @ 8:54am CDT
I would so love to order a set of both '84 and '85. They could be useful for a quick reference for roleplaying. I still have that large poster that lists every single TF from the '80s.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1210663)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on April 18th, 2011 @ 11:01am CDT
Skyfire77 wrote:

This.

28 Specs for $35 + S&H?

It's really not that bad. $1.25 a card. Look on eBay at the originals tech spec cards and you are spending anywhere from $0.20 to $4 more per card. Then these are enhanced quality, assumable to be printed on decent materials and laminated. I doubt they are making any money on this and they are saving you money on replacing the originals. Printing supplies are expensive, and making these yourself would be time consuming. Between man hours and supplies, I guarantee you it's cost you more in the end.

I've barely got a G1 collection, mostly consisting of reissues and a couple of vintage minibots so I've got no real interest in these, but they aren't a bad price at all.
Re: 3rd Party Reproduction G1 TechSpecs (1210718)
Posted by gothsaurus on April 18th, 2011 @ 1:32pm CDT
Being a bit OCD, it's nice to have them all match in size, weight, and style... not to mention having the art tweaked to match the actual figures, etc.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #256 - Netflix and Siege
"Netflix and Siege"
Posted: Tuesday, August 4th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Botcon 2013 Rainmaker Exclusive Deluxe Hotlink Figure Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BATTLE CORE OPTIMUS PRIME Combiner Wars Voyager White 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager Class Autobot Infinitus & Sentinel Prime 100%" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars CW Voyager Class Technobot Scattershot MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars KO Blast Off" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Scattershot Figure Box#1" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers RODIMUS PRIME Generations Titanium Die-cast Series 2006 OPEN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Barricade Takara Tomy Hasbro" on EBAY