5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Friday, April 23rd, 2021 12:04pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 22,253

Greetings Seibertronians! PreviewsWorld have uploaded a five page preview of the upcoming IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3, which we're pleased to share with you now!

PreviewsWorld wrote:(W) Brian Ruckley (A/CA) Bethany McGuire-Smith
As preparations for the escape ships continue, Wheeljack and Hound work to move what remains of the A'ovan population and habitat to a safe location for evacuation. Unfortunately, the Insecticons are insatiable and a caravan full of Cybertronian and organic life is too good a meal to pass up.

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Transformers News: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3

Don't forget you can get comics like this from the Seibertron Store! Either the latest releases or back issues if that's what you're after!

Have you been keeping up to date with this miniseries? What do you think of it so far?

Shout out in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!

Credit(s): Previews World

Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102799)
Posted by BumbleDouche on April 23rd, 2021 @ 2:05pm CDT
Good grief, that artwork is horrendous! Very lazy & sloppy-looking.
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102814)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 23rd, 2021 @ 7:47pm CDT
I wouldn't call it sloppy, but it could be more lively.
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102821)
Posted by BumbleDouche on April 23rd, 2021 @ 11:13pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:I wouldn't call it sloppy, but it could be more lively.

I'm sorry, but while I agree it could be more lively, my main complaint is still the sloppiness!

The action shots are messy with lines everywhere - there's no consistency to the shapes or forms between panels & some of the details aren't even drawn in properly, with unfinished half-lines scrawled in all over the place! It looks like any bits that might have called for extra detail were deemed too hard & so purposely drawn small or just scribbled on in the vague hope that either the colorist might hide the laziness, or that they might go unnoticed alongside the large, boring blanks of bland, nothing backgrounds. There are small attempts at detail on some of the bots, but in these instances, areas of incomplete lineart result in poorly defined borders where it's obvious the colorist has been forced to fend for herself in trying to fill in & make sense out of whatever the artist was trying to convey! If half-assing your work so badly that you rely totally on the next person to pick up your slack isn't sloppiness, I don't know what is!

Look at Panel 3 on Page 2: what the heck is going on with Kickback's legs? You could argue that it's not an important detail - the main point of the panel is still clear - but is that really the level of quality we've come to expect from IDW, from professional comic book artists? Just look at Bombshell's head in... well, any of it really, but particularly Panel 1 of Page 4: it took me a while to even register that it was supposed to be Bombshell in the first place! Aside from it's questionable shading & shape, it looks like he's wearing a helmet within another helmet - which is bizarre - and his trademark "headdress" is no longer trademark or even a headdress - in that it's completely unfamiliar & now more like part of a backpack rather than attached to his head. On top of that, the shape of the protrusions seem to alternate between panels, sometimes appearing blade-like, at other times more like the familiar, cylindrical shapes of old.

Overall, it just seems like there's a lot of empty space on the page, and where there isn't empty space, we get what looks like something very hastily drawn with very little attention to detail. A similar argument could be made for the Beast Wars book, although I'd at least venture to say the lines in that book are more confidently drawn. Combine the two, add the lackluster dull-fest that is the current ongoing and we have a trifecta of disappointment from IDW! It may well be that Alex Milne, Casey Coller, Guido Guidi, etc. are difficult, high-class art acts to follow, but surely we can do better than this?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think even Ramondeli would be an improvement - at least his ultra gritty detail does help hide the fact that he can't draw lol.

- END RANT -
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102825)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 24th, 2021 @ 1:10am CDT
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102829)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 24th, 2021 @ 2:45am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Well I don't claim to be any kind of expert, I just know what I like. I'm a huge fan of the original Marvel G1 art, especially Guidi and Wildman. Alex Milne is pretty good as well. This style? While I don't find it repulsive like Geoff Senior' style, it does leave something to be desired. It's too simple and flat. But at least the colors are decent. If it was a good story, the art would be good enough to give a pass. But I haven't even read any of this get, on the chance that it's like the main ongoing and is boring.

While I've not read this one either, I'm more on the side that the fact this is a miniseries (4 or 5 issues) the pacing should be a lot faster to match so if they made it as boring as the ongoing...well that would be an achievement of sorts.
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102835)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 24th, 2021 @ 7:49am CDT
All I know is Brian Ruckley hasn't impressed me so far. I might get the TPB once the series is done, depending on how the story turns out. That's the approach I'm taking to all TF comics these days.
Re: 5 Page Preview of IDW Transformers: Escape Issue #3 (2102917)
Posted by BumbleDouche on April 25th, 2021 @ 10:53am CDT

Yeah, art is always subjective, which is usually why I don't say anything. I think you're probably right about the story - if that aspect were OK, we'd let the art slide. Probably how Ramondelli & Geoff Senior keep getting work lol. When both art and story are seriously lacking, it really draws attention to all the faults...

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Kre-O A6950 Scorn Street Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Computron! Scattershot strafe lightspeed afterburner nosecone" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TFSS 4.0 Spinster   Thunder Mayhem TFCC Targetmaster Subscription" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Hotrod, Cogman, Stinger lot" on EBAY
Buy "RARE Transformers The Last Knight Cyberfire COGMAN 1-Step Turbo Changer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Premier Deluxe Crosshairs, C7 Corvette 2016 Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Siege Autobot HOUND Earthrise WFC G1 MISB lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hound - Siege War for Cybertron BNIB" on EBAY