All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview

Transformers News: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview

Thursday, July 16th, 2009 8:27AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 26,130

All Hail Megatron Coda is set to come to stores next Wednesday, July 22nd (according to IDW's July Newsletter). So this week we have a 5 page preview of this piece of extension to the original AHM series, issue #13.

Of particular note is the return of fan-favorite Transformers artist Don Figueroa to the G1 Transformers universe again.

You can see the five page preview at ENI pop culture network's Transformers section (Tformers).

The preview shows early years of Optimus Prime's and Ironhide's relationship, and the impact that Ironhide has had on the great Autobot leader.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Preview

The other half of the issue is focused on Starscream, and you can see a preview page (uncolored). In this part of the book, the Decepticons are "probing the mysteries of the Autobot matrix of leadership", according to IDW's description of AHM Coda #13.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Preview

And here's what Transformers writer Simon Furman had to say at his blog about AHM #13. Click the link to read.

Seibertron.com for all of your Transformers news and resource needs.

Vector Sigma Database
Comprehensive Photo Galleries
Most Recent Transformers News
Credit(s): MyYoung23, Tformers.com, various IDW sources, Simon Furman's blog
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956209)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 8:37am CDT
I gotta ask, was AHM really that bad? I'm hearing some bad stuff about it and wanted to get the TPB of it as I didn't keep up with the series.

I just read Spotlight Cliffjumper and was less than enthused and it was authored by Shane also.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956220)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on July 16th, 2009 @ 8:53am CDT
This looks COOL! Don's gone and changed his art style too; I like it! With the movie-verse comes the universal acceptance that prime does indeed have a mouth.

Don't know what to say about the one page Decepticon preview tho...
B-)
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956231)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on July 16th, 2009 @ 9:22am CDT
First Gen wrote:I gotta ask, was AHM really that bad?

The fact that we're getting these four extra issues should really answer that question for you.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956234)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 9:26am CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
First Gen wrote:I gotta ask, was AHM really that bad?

No, it really doesn't. Extending a story arc isn't exactly a new thing and the concept behind AHM is something thats been a very long time coming. And Marvel consistently puts out pure crap weekly, why should IDW be any different?
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956244)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on July 16th, 2009 @ 9:56am CDT
First Gen wrote:Extending a story arc isn't exactly a new thing

First Gen wrote:and the concept behind AHM is something thats been a very long time coming.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956253)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:11am CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:Except that's not what "Coda" is doing. Despite what IDW might want to push in its "AHM was popular so we're extending the series" angle, it's little more than a naked and blatant attempt to make Shane's fanfiction connect to the brillance of the past three years of Furman's work. To put it another way, it's akin to taking a piece of paper, shredding it, and then using duct tape and good wishes to try and put it back together.

Well since you put it that way.....

Darth Bombshell wrote:So basically what you're saying is that IDW has been wanting to put out a tale that makes this look good by comparison for a while?

Well, Dreamwave wasn't that bad. I enjoyed those comics, just the art sucked IMHO. And I meant the idea of Megatron winning the war, per se, and taking rule and all that as a concept.

I have yet to read the arc and want to, but if you think its bad then I won't, but if you say go ahead and give it shot, I most likely will.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956254)
Posted by Dead Metal on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:15am CDT
Um, Ireally dislike the way the art looks. And Prime's mouth.
I think this is the first time I actually dislike something done by Don.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956257)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:20am CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Um, Ireally dislike the way the art looks. And Prime's mouth.
I think this is the first time I actually dislike something done by Don.

Oh God........ :?
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956263)
Posted by MYoung23 on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:27am CDT
Can anyone tell me who Boxcar and Undertow are? Undertow looks like he could be Seaspray in a Cybertronian form.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956272)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:47am CDT
MYoung23 wrote:Can anyone tell me who Boxcar and Undertow are?

Original characters.

Dead Metal wrote:And FG, people stated that Shane's work on the Spotlights are waaaaaaaaaay better than AHM.

First Gen wrote:Oh God........ :?

Hey, compared to AHM, they are good. Then again, compared to AHM, anything's good.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956276)
Posted by Dead Metal on July 16th, 2009 @ 10:49am CDT
Darth Bombshell wrote:
MYoung23 wrote:Can anyone tell me who Boxcar and Undertow are?

Original characters.

First Gen wrote:Oh God........ :?

Yes even the Beast Within was a far better read than AHM.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956287)
Posted by Seibertron on July 16th, 2009 @ 11:34am CDT

I miss the old days of comic books, to be honest. I miss the days when writers wrote individual issues or story arcs that were just long enough to tell a story ... not fill a certain number of issues or meet the quota necessary for a trade paperback. The new style of comic books makes me yearn for the comic books from the 80s and 90s when good story telling was still around. Now everything feels stretched out and boring to me. Panels of artwork that are too big. Stories that could have been told in 2 or 3 issues are dragged out for 6 issues, or 12+ issues in the case of AHM. I miss the days when a story arc was a really big deal (such as the Underbase Saga from the Marvel comics series). I miss the days of fast moving plots that tried to tell as much story as possible in 22 pages.

Sigh ... is it just the quality that's lacking these days or am I just out of touch with comic books?
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956289)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on July 16th, 2009 @ 11:41am CDT

Darth Bombshell wrote:Despite what IDW might want to push in its "AHM was popular so we're extending the series" angle, it's little more than a naked and blatant attempt to make Shane's fanfiction connect to the brillance of the past three years of Furman's work. To put it another way, it's akin to taking a piece of paper, shredding it, and then using duct tape and good wishes to try and put it back together.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956303)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 12:10pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Ugh. I still don't understand how the boring and disappointing AHM series warranted an extra four issues. I was really looking forward to this series ending so that we could move on to something else. Also not a fan of this "movie" style artwork creeping into regular Transformers comics. To be blunt ... the artwork above is not that great compared to what I'm used to seeing from IDW. Guido Guidi's detailed cartoon style and EJ Su's unique art style are the definitive TF artists in my book.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956328)
Posted by Skice on July 16th, 2009 @ 12:57pm CDT
Damn that art is terrible! Ack, it hurts mine eyes! Don what happened to your art? His art is usually good but this is just.... shit, total shit. I loved the All hail series but I think I'll just skip this issue just based on the art alone, That and I haven't even read #12 yet. Seriously though if all of the coda's art will be like this I'll have to skip them all.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956370)
Posted by Seibertron on July 16th, 2009 @ 1:43pm CDT
First Gen wrote:Its really disappointing to see the story arcs go this way, and no you're not out of touch. It seems that when prices went up quality went way down. Why are we paying 3.99 USD for these anyway? Only Marvels top writers and artists pull that for an issue.

I still think that the comic book industry made a mistake by going the route of uber-fancy looking books. How in the world can kids afford comics now? I'd like to see the comic industry sacrifice some of the quality with their books and have a lower price than have such expensive books.

It's funny (ironic?) how Marvel cancelled the Transformers comic in 1990 because it wasn't selling enough at the time but now their lead titles like Spiderman, X-Men, etc sell only about 1/3 of the copies that Transformers was doing at that point.

Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956390)
Posted by First Gen on July 16th, 2009 @ 2:08pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I'd also like Transformers to have one series that's based off the toy lines, whether it's the Classics line or whatever. There's no correlation now between products available and the comic book stories. Yes, you read that correctly. I'd like Hasbro to have a way to whore out a new product via the comics once again. Hopefully with IDW's rumored ongoing Transformers series that is supposed to start in the fall, maybe we'll get some of that.

Yes! I'd love a comic based off the Classics/ Universe line. You'd think this would be a blatant obvious given the popularity of the line.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956398)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 16th, 2009 @ 2:14pm CDT
I am currently re-reading the TPBs Primal Scream, Matrix Quest, All Fall Down, and End of the Road. I love these issues, Simon Furman's first stories are my favorites of all the comics stories. So much so, I actually went out today and bought a Powermaster Prime toy because of it. I was raised on this stuff, and nothing will ever be better. (Though War Within came close.)
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956419)
Posted by AutobotTrainer on July 16th, 2009 @ 2:55pm CDT
I'll put this in, feel at peace, and then be on my way.

Simon Furman's take on the TF comic universe has most recently been (and most likely still is) without a consistent focus. I find it interesting that the attacks on AHM all seem to come from some strange, adverse reaction to allowing variance in the "Transformers canon". However, if we heard the same story told over and over gain, there would be complaints about a lack of complexity to the TF Universe.

The personal issue I have with Furman's direction in the "-ation" series was that the storytelling seemed at many times childish and low-end. I appreciated some of the new concepts on how the Decepticons operated as a military unit, and the dynamics between the Autobots, but the human characters and the motivations behind why the characters took action was , in a word, shallow. Furman's stories seemed to speak to a strange demographic. Were these stories best for preteens? The 18 - 25 males? Old washed up 30 year old Transformers fanatics? I had a hard time finding the "voice" in the Furman/IDW arc. It always bothers me when writers would put more time into creating new and poorly developed plot devices (Ore-13, whiny Carly, for example) instead of using some real talent by leveraging underused and under examined character motivations and relationships (tell us more about the relationship between the Seekers. What does being a leader of the Autobots truly mean, etc.). That's what I appreciated about IDW's ballsy move to create AHM. It was a STRECH. It was a RISK. That's what even a mediocre publishing company does: it pushes the envelope once in a while. They dare to hit the reset button.

I appreciate McCarthy's attempt to tell a story using plot lines that still exist from 20+ years ago. The seekers still as F-15's? Awesome. Why do they have to be F-22's? They are advanced, sentient warrior-robots for frick's sake. They could transform to monkeys on stilts and still destroy humanity. I appreciate AHM for it's boldness, successes and short comings. The artwork was spectacular. The destruction and bloodshed refreshing. The slow pace was regrettable, but not deserving of this damnation. The stupid robot bugs on Cybertron were deserving of an eye-roll. But overall, AHM was new while being familiar, dark yet direct. I am appreciative of the fact that it was an independent story arc. I also hope that IDW makes an attempt at something similar again: new, risky and using different writers and artists.

I'll end by saying I'm thankful that IDW makes Transformer comic books exist, thankful for McCarthy & Guidi's work, and thankful for Furman's dedication to continuing the Transformers story.
Re: All Hail Megatron #13 Coda- 5 Page Preview (956425)
Posted by AutobotTrainer on July 16th, 2009 @ 2:58pm CDT
Oh, one more thing:

Prime's creepy mouth makes him look like a child molester.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #235 - Pre-Holidaze
"Pre-Holidaze"
Posted: Sunday, November 24th, 2019

Buy "TRANSFORMERS 2010 OPTIMUS PRIME McDonald’s Happy Meal Toy Fast SHIPPING" on EBAY
Buy "2015 HASBRO HERO MASHERS *TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON w/SKYWARP*  MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers X-Transbots Ollie G1 Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION - BUMBLEBEE (H79)" on EBAY
Buy "transformers studio series optimus prime Bumblebee Movie" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Age of Extinction Deluxe Figure Decepticon Lockdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Galvatron Robots Devil Gigatron and Armada Megaton w/ Mini-con" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Motorcycle Lot chromia arcee" on EBAY