All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK

All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK

Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 8:57am CDT

Category: Company News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 13,135

The BBC has just reported that all UK Toys R Us stores are closing. This is due to no buyer willing to purchase this subsidiary. We had reported that it had fallen into administration and now we know officially of the chosen outcome and time frame.

We know the US is getting ready for a liquidation of their own but no official decision has been made yet. You can click here for the latest news on the US and Canadian front.

Here are the key points from the BBC article:

All Toys R Us stores in the UK are expected to close in the next six weeks following the chain's collapse into administration.

The BBC understands that attempts to find a buyer for the US retailer's 100 stores in the UK have failed.

Twenty five stores have either closed in recent days or are due to shut by Thursday.

The collapse will put more than 3,000 people out of work as a dismal period for the retail sector continues.

Transformers News: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK

Credit(s): BBC

Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946103)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 14th, 2018 @ 9:13am CDT
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946136)
Posted by Big Grim on March 14th, 2018 @ 1:42pm CDT
Damn shame. They're an institution!
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946149)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on March 14th, 2018 @ 2:51pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I'm going to be heading to my local either today or tomorrow. Not expecting to find anything great though. Still feels odd that they'll all be gone.

Not quite all gone I must add. Toys 'R Us has a quite a few stores in Asia, especially in Japan and they seem to be doing more than fine right now. I wonder what would happen to those stores.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946180)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 14th, 2018 @ 5:45pm CDT
The news just broke: Toys R Us will be closing all 800 US stores.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946181)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 14th, 2018 @ 5:51pm CDT
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946187)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:30pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-stores/index.html

Damn.
So TrU will remain only in Canada and Asia? :-(
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946188)
Posted by Burn on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:33pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:

Damn.
So TrU will remain only in Canada and Asia? :-(

FYI, TRU Australia isn't part of the TRU Asia group. >:oP
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946189)
Posted by Qwan on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:34pm CDT
[UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal has a quote from Chief Executive David Brandon on the matter of Toys R Us stores in other countries. Brandon says that the company is likely to liquidate in France, Spain, Poland and Australia, and has plans to sell its Canadian, Central European and Asian arms. The only real light in the tunnel here is the prospect of purchase; the company is currently attempting to find a buyer for a 'package' of sorts, comprised of its Canadian branch along with 200 US stores. Other countries' stores may also find themselves saved if a buyer happens to come along - Brandon has said that "all anyone has to do is offer one dollar more” than liquidation firms - but this is still not anywhere near a guarantee that Toys R Us stores are safe anywhere in the world.]

Sad news today, Seibertronians. After months of tension regarding its fate since September last year, Toys R Us has finally made the decision to sell or close all of its US stores, as reported by CNN. This comes not long off the heels of their postponed decision on Monday, but now we know the answer for certain and it's not a heartening one.

Employees have already been notified by the company's CEO, as the Wall Street Journal reports. There is not yet any word on how this will affect Toys R Us' business in Canada and other countries, though with Toys R Us expected to close all UK stores in the coming weeks as well, things aren't looking too good for the brand at large.

From a more Transformers-centric perspective, it's also unclear how this will affect Toys R Us-exclusive figures like the extremely recent Studio Series Thundercracker, and fans' attempts to acquire them. There's a lot of uncertainty going around right now, but with such a huge change as this, it's only to be expected that many things are in flux with no clear direction or solution.

Share your thoughts below in the Energon Pub if you have any perspectives on this issue, and you can be sure that Seibertron.com will be on hand to report on any further developments to this situation and its multitude of loose ends. Until next time Seibertronians, don't take your toys for granted.

Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946192)
Posted by Ultra Markus on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:47pm CDT
giphy.gif
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946193)
Posted by Qwan on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:48pm CDT
So yeah, dang. Growing up mostly in a rural part of Australia it's not like I've had a whole lot to do with Toys R Us, but I did used to visit relatives in America with my family about once a year, and trips to the nearby Toys R Us were always a memorable highlight. Titanium Rodimus (a toy I still like to this day); Animated Cybertronian Optimus, Ratchet and Arcee; even a couple non-Transformers like the Glatorian Mata Nui and some weird all-terrain Hot Wheels vehicle; I have clear memories of picking up each and every one from that huge child-haven full of toys.

It is just a retail company, and not even a very popular one at that, but TRU was probably a big part of a lot of people's childhoods and it does strike a bit of a chord with me to see it go. Seems I'm overly sentimental about this, eh? Ah well... I'm guessing the big news now is going to be how TRU Canada/Australia/Asia etc. are affected by this - there's no way they're coming out totally unscathed, at least.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946194)
Posted by Quantum Surge on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:50pm CDT
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946196)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:53pm CDT
Burn wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:

Damn.
So TrU will remain only in Canada and Asia? :-(

FYI, TRU Australia isn't part of the TRU Asia group. >:oP

Close enough. [-(

Still, hope your TrU stay open.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946197)
Posted by ebonyleopard on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:54pm CDT
I guess I have to grow up. I was a ToysRUs kid. So many different kinds of toys that I could play with. From bikes to trains to video games, they were the biggest toy store there is. I guess I have to grow up, oh baby now that I did, I can longer be a ToysRUs Kid. :-( :(
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946198)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:57pm CDT
In other news my childhood died today. So I gues we have to grow up.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946199)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on March 14th, 2018 @ 6:58pm CDT
Quantum Surge wrote:I don't want to sound like I am brushing off a concern on the fate of a famous store, but at least there is a chance that stuff like any exclusives TRU sold (like Masterpieces and Thundercracker) can be sold in more commonly found stores. I don't think Target or Walmart would have issues with selling the upcoming MPM-5 and 6 Barricade and Ironhide or maybe bring out the Predaking gift set.

I think the more likely scenario is that the ones that already hit shelves will just be obscenely rare.

As I recall, though, MPM Ironhide was never officially slated to be a TRU exclusive. Like... To the point where people pointed out that the packaging didn't have the 'exclusive' stamp. Maybe Hasbro has been anticipating this. Or. I'm remembering this entirely wrong.

Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946200)
Posted by Burn on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:11pm CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:I'm just worried, now, that Amazon exclusives will take its place. I f***ing hate Amazon.

I hate exclusives in general, regardless of what store/website they're sold at/on
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946201)
Posted by Questworld12 on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:23pm CDT
For me it is a sad day. I was a Toys R Us kid. Reading the holiday catalog and circling what I would want. As you grow older, you start to realize their prices were higher than most. I started to head elsewhere but still never forget that feeling of heading to the store and being surrounded by toys. I can still remember standing in line for Nintendo Wii and talking to the manager. Hunting for MP-10 at every local TRU. Finally finding him and using a coupon to save some money.

I don't know what the future holds. Hate shopping online but that might be what I have to do. My local stores never change or restock their items. I wonder what this closing would do for other smaller toy lines? If GIJoes are not in the stores now...I don't think they will ever be.

Thanks for all the nostalgia and memories, Toys R Us.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946202)
Posted by ebonyleopard on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:24pm CDT
Whelp, I guess I'll be getting home from work a whole lot sooner now.
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946203)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:24pm CDT
Burn wrote:

But... But... that PREMIUM feel? :(

Seriously, Exclusives suck ass. Especially when they are overpriced and/or badly distributed. Not counting when the thing is an exclusive of a store that ISNT EVEN IN YOUR FREAKING COUNTRY! :BOOM:
Re: All Toys R Us Stores Are Expected to Close Within 6 Weeks in the UK (1946204)
Posted by william-james88 on March 14th, 2018 @ 7:25pm CDT
Masterpiece toys will probably just be sold through online vendors. This is currently what is happening with the only generation one style masterpiece toy coming out this year, prowl.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Recycling Truck Rare" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Netflix Quintesson Deseeus Army Drone NEW-IN HAND" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition Berserker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Used Build A Bear Transformers Optimus Prime Bear Mask Flips Over Head 17'" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Movie B-127 Deluxe Class Studio Series SS-70" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime MOSC" on EBAY