Monday, July 31st, 2017 8:42am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Counterpunch   Views: 21,959

For those that are not looking forward to making minor but permanent adjustments to their Titans Return Trypticon, another less invasive method of repair has been identified.

Toy Dojo, via their Facebook page (and YouTube page), has provided a video of how to work Trypticon's hip springs that returns a full range of motion while not requiring any permanent change to the figure.

I personally tested this method. It works, though it took me about twice as long repeating the compression per spring as stated in the video. When reassembled, it did not appear to work right off. I had to get past the 1st notch, then it ratcheted perfectly.

I opened the hips back up to make sure I had not damaged them and everything was fine. There was no hint of damage or warping of the inner cross piece. This method works with some patient testing. We encourage you to try this method before making permanent changes to your Trypticon.

Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1900956)
Posted by MadProject on July 31st, 2017 @ 8:56am CDT
to avoid to do permanent changes, I got a weaker replacement spring.
But I tried this method too, and it looks like it works.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1900960)
Posted by ZeroGFrame on July 31st, 2017 @ 9:13am CDT
MadProject wrote:to avoid to do permanent changes, I got a weaker replacement spring.
But I tried this method too, and it looks like it works.

Where'd you find the spring, and what kind was it? I was thinking of doing this, but there's a lot of measurements for springs. Wasn't sure if a hardware store would carry them (haven't checked yet).

^_^
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1900965)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on July 31st, 2017 @ 9:40am CDT
ZeroGFrame wrote:
But I tried this method too, and it looks like it works.

^_^

I was able to find a suitable spring at Menards if you are in the midwest. I found a single spring that when cut in half works pretty good.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1900969)
Posted by ZeroGFrame on July 31st, 2017 @ 10:05am CDT
No Menards around me but I can look at some similar places. Thanks!
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1900979)
Posted by xymox on July 31st, 2017 @ 10:36am CDT
I don't have a problem with the legs per se (because he'll forever stay in Dino-mode) - but rather the chest panel. Its warped and won't stay closed. Not sure how to go about fixing this - about to resort to tape on the inside. Rather disgusted I spent $149 on this and need to do this...
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901004)
Posted by Tyrannacon on July 31st, 2017 @ 11:57am CDT
Okay, I have to admit. I really like this method a lot better due to the simplicity of it and the not having to cut the springs. I hope I don't have to do this when I go to get Trypticon, but I did save the video for future reference so I can come back to it in case I need it.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901053)
Posted by DeathReviews on July 31st, 2017 @ 2:30pm CDT
I cut my springs before I saw this, but not by much. A pair of needle nose pliers allow you to re-bend the cut end of the spring so it won't gouge the plastic when you re-insert, and you can still insert cardboard or other forms to padding to thicken the resistance if you think the hips rotate too easily afterwards. My figure can still easily support it's own weight on its legs. All is well.

There are also many who seem to be having trouble with the front chest panel feeling warped on the right side and not closing in place. Poster putty or tape can help, but yeah, that's unfortunate. Also, my Trypticon came missing one of the foot spurs. Luckily, only some mild threats to the distributor were necessary before they agreed to send out a replacement part.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901076)
Posted by Ravage XK on July 31st, 2017 @ 4:33pm CDT
Little tip, to save the springs digging into your fingers put them under your heel and use your foot to compress them.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901094)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on July 31st, 2017 @ 6:03pm CDT
Once you're done squeezing those springs you'll be able to crush a cantaloupe with your bare hands.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901112)
Posted by Qwan on July 31st, 2017 @ 7:46pm CDT
Great to hear there's a much safer way to fix Tryp's hips (fun to write, even more fun to say)! Even better if more recent production batches don't have the issue in the first place. I feel a little disappointed that I and others had to go through the whole process of heavily modding the figure originally, but I guess better to fix an issue than leave it unaddressed. (Not quite as good as not having an issue in the first place, but still.)

And yeah, I've had slight chestplate issues on both my Typs, but seemingly the polar opposite to that of others'. The chestplate doesn't seem to sag or warp from what I've noticed, but it is a devil to open - to the point that I'm far more likely to pull Full Tilt and his attachment point off of the green plastic flap, than I am to end up actually getting the flap to open. Who knows. :???:
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901147)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on July 31st, 2017 @ 11:34pm CDT
Takara please take notice of the chaos we fans are currently enduring! :-( :BANG_HEAD: :HEADHURTS: :BOOM:

Takara only you have THE TOUCH to make things right on a long awaited figure like Trypticon! :VEHI:
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1901546)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 3rd, 2017 @ 1:39am CDT
Well, I finally unboxed, stickered, assembled, transformed, and posed my Trypticon!

The right hip is already busted. :BANG_HEAD: It no longer ratchets, but rather "mushes" into place. It only took a few clicks for it to break too. It's not affecting Trypticon's ability to stand up too badly, though it takes more finesse with the right hip. The left hip is fine and ratchets perfectly.

For a quick overview of my evening, I started unboxing Trypticon, soon after getting home from work, right before about 8:00 PM. I finished just after 1:00 AM. At least four of those hours were spent applying stickers. My take on the stickers: overdone and underwhelming. They really don't add a lot of fun or detail to the figure, at all. A few key stickers would have been nice, or just putting some paint apps in a few choice areas to break up the larger swaths of gray and purple plastic. 158 tiny little sticker details were not needed. I will say that the directions for applying the stickers were largely fine and error free, if you pay close attention, have good visual special skills, and don't get too hung up on the numbering. Sometimes, you have to do the other sticker in a pair than what is indicated, but it's not hard to figure out on shape alone, most of the time. The one error I did see in the directions were for some "headlight" stickers that go near the underside tip of Trypticon's tail. The directions seem to point to random areas to place these, while it's quite obvious they're supposed to go in the four perfectly sized little rectangular indents further down than the diagram indicates. The only frustrating stickers were the smaller, squarish ones that just seem to go randomly on large areas of smooth plastic, rather than having a nice little molded area to fit inside.

The transformations were fine. Not too complicated, and largely intuitive, though unlike with smaller figures, I did follow the directions step by step to ensure I didn't break anything on a $150 figure. (HA!) I love the city mode, A.K.A. "Nemesis Command." That name is amazing. Kudos, Hasbro! The "spaceship" mode is fine, but Kaiju mode is where it's at! He looks fantastic, even if he's a little bit shorter than Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. Those teeth are MEAN and ready to rend some metal (or plastic)!

I'm going to try calling up Hasbro (repeatedly if necessary) and get them to send me a replacement right leg, or at least materials to reassemble a functional hip on my own. No way and I returning the figure now, having put FOUR HOURS into stickering him up. I can cope with redoing one leg, maybe two (if it really came to that), but not the entire figure.

By the way, my batch number is "71241." I have a feeling there is no "safe" batch to find. Either every leg is a ticking time bomb, waiting to self-destruct, or there is a random assembly issue, where something doesn't get set just right during production, causing some legs to catastrophically fail, but not others, due to some as yet undetected and stochastic production/assembly error.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902456)
Posted by Cr33per on August 6th, 2017 @ 6:01pm CDT
Got my Trypticon a few days ago. The batch number was 71331, the hips didn't seem overly tight and i was able to rotate them without any damage to the joint. Still just to be on the safe side I took out the springs and repeatedly compressed them (for about 10-15 minutes each), and then compressed the springs fully for about an hour and a half.Once reassembled the hip ratchets rotate easily and still support the weight with no issues.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902673)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 7th, 2017 @ 9:57pm CDT
I finally got my Tryp out of his box. I'm both compressing the hip springs and putting in some lithium grease.

Holy giant dino excrement, these springs are huge! The pics really do not do them justice!

In other news, I must have gotten one of the early batches. No tabs on my tail ramp, and the chest piece that Full Tilt attaches to is a bit warped. Looks like some clear nail polish and gently heating with a heat gun are in my future...
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902694)
Posted by Emerje on August 8th, 2017 @ 12:59am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:By the way, my batch number is "71241."

Cr33per wrote:The batch number was 71331

Seibertron wrote:My Trypticon's code is 71461.

And Seibertron said his didn't have any issues. I wonder if the higher batch numbers have fixed some of the problems?

Emerje
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902729)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 8th, 2017 @ 8:46am CDT
My batch number looks like 71331. The embossing is really hard to read on mine...
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902869)
Posted by Cr33per on August 8th, 2017 @ 9:42pm CDT
Emerje wrote:You other two, did both of yours have the ramp tabs like Seibertron's or were they tab-less like mordhelm's?

Emerje

Mine doesn't have the tabs.
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1902906)
Posted by Emerje on August 9th, 2017 @ 3:35am CDT
Cr33per wrote:

Emerje

Mine doesn't have the tabs.

Interesting. Jake, does yours have tabs? That could be an indication of when the tabs started.

Agamemnon, is yours missing the tabs, too? You have the same batch number as Cr33per.

Emerje
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1903187)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 9th, 2017 @ 4:51pm CDT
Emerje wrote:
Cr33per wrote:

Emerje

Mine doesn't have the tabs.

Emerje

Yep, no tabs on the tail ramp. Not even a bump to indicate a short shot.

Other issues:

Like someone else mentioned, the door/chest piece that Full Tilt attaches to was warped. Badly. (I wish I had taken pictures.) Some well monitored heating with a hair dryer and some gently flexing/massaging, and the door is much straighter now. It actually clips into its home properly now, and stays there. (If any of you want to try this, just be very careful to not overheat and over flex the plastic. I have had quite a lot of experience with plastics and heat guns.)

Also mentioned was that one leg sits just a bit away from the body in starship mode. Mine had that issue too. I completely disassembled that hip and discovered that one set of gear teeth are assembled 90 degrees off from ideal, resulting in a strange angle to the affected ratchet joint. That was even more of a bugger to deal with than the big hip joint/spring as there are other springs, and many gears to different ratchets... Ack, I cannot believe the work I have put into this brand new toy... And, I haven't even begun stickering...

Here is a bit of advice if anyone wants to disassemble the hip area more than just dealing with the big ratchet issue. Get some lithium grease. It will help hold some of the ratchet gears in place while reassembling. Plus, it will allow the gears to work better, while still holding properly for poses.

I'll know in a couple of days when I finish with the stickers and completely assemble everything whether my fixes were ultimately successful. The minor testing I've done so far is promising...
Re: Alternate Repair Option for Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon (No Cutting Required) (1903239)
Posted by firefox91 on August 9th, 2017 @ 9:06pm CDT
I bookmarked this thread while I waited for the arrival of my Trypticon from BBTS. Regretably, I didn't go through and read the entire thread to see the alternative fix of just squeezing the springs. I went ahead and cut 1 spring in half and just left it at that. No cardboard, grease, shaving, etc. It definitely needed something because the joints were practically locked. It would have broken for sure. With the modification it's much more comfortable to work with the legs but they are probably too loose now. Not so much that he won't stay in place, but it could use some more firmness. I might compress the other spring and reinstall it then work with some cardboard or something on the other joint.

That said, I recommend people try compression before cutting.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Starscream & Waspinator" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME BLIGHT Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager 6 inch Action figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Voyager Decepticon Blitzwing complete w/extras" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager Figure IN HAND!! MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War 4 Cybertron Kingdom Voyager WFC-K27 Rhinox IN HAND" on EBAY