Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Sunday, May 18th, 2014 3:40am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 31,245

While we wait for this week's release of IDW Transformers: Windblade issue #2, Amazon.com have uploaded a listing for the collected trade paperback of the mini-series (for now) by Mairghread Scott and Sarah Stone. It will apparently be released on 14th October 2014, and is currently priced at $14.04, with 104 pages. A coincidence? Quite probably. There is no image as yet, so enjoy the four Sarah Stone covers once again below!

In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from - and what does her secret mean to the future of the Transformers?

Transformers News: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Transformers News: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Transformers News: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Transformers News: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB

Credit(s): Amazon.com

Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575152)
Posted by STngAR on May 18th, 2014 @ 10:25am CDT
I really hope we are still going to get the toy of her. Also I like all the art work we've seen so far.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575196)
Posted by RiddlerJ on May 18th, 2014 @ 1:45pm CDT
I predict that the last issue will have Starscream and Windblade slapping each other, then embracing in a passionate kiss.

Or have I been watching too many Cheers episodes again. :oops:
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575667)
Posted by Va'al on May 20th, 2014 @ 2:58am CDT
One new comic coming out this week with IDW Publishing, and it's the second issue of the Transformers: Windblade mini-series, part of the Dawn of the Autobots era! Check out the full preview below, and head back here tomorrow for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: Windblade #2 (of 4): Dawn of the Autobots
Mairghread Scott (w) • Sarah Stone (a & c)
CYBERTRON UNDER FIRE! Someone is out to kill WINDBLADE—but discovering who means turning to some less-than-savory ’Bots. Can WINDBLADE trust her informants enough to stake her life on them? And who will she turn to when the events of DARK CYBERTRON come back to haunt them all?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
DAWN OF THE AUTOBOTS continues!
What is the secret history of WINDBLADE—and what does that mean for the future of Cybertron?
Variant Cover by Marcelo Matere!

Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575673)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on May 20th, 2014 @ 3:58am CDT
This comic fascinates me to no end - they're playing with themes of patriarchy and gender-based inequity in a context where sexuality is (supposedly) not an issue, raising a lot of questions about the dynamics between the characters (specifically, Starscream and Windblade). It's interesting to read this, and ponder how many preconceptions are painted onto the situation by the reader, and how many actually come from the writer.

That part where Starscream prods her injury made me wince, but it also made my skin crawl. While the pain from the newly repaired wound was tangible, I know that the creepiness I felt came with the dominating violation of personal space. I also appreciate that Windblade's predicament is socially generated. Starscream's bigger than her, but he's not Overlord - if he'd done something like that to Arcee she would have torn him apart, and Windblade (being a main character in a Transformers comic) could probably tear him apart too, but she's putting up with all of it because he's protected by the society they're operating within.

So, it doesn't stand as an example of gender inequity (with only two women on Cybertron, that doesn't really make sense), but it serves well as an allegory for it.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575729)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 20th, 2014 @ 9:09am CDT
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575743)
Posted by ILL-Star on May 20th, 2014 @ 10:12am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Who's that guy with the body-type (or at least the head design) of Prime Beat hunters Deluxe Ratchet?

That's Longtooth. He's a Cameraman for Circuit.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:EndoftheBeg ... gtooth.jpg
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575906)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on May 20th, 2014 @ 9:40pm CDT
I really don't care for how Rattrap is being characterized so far..
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575932)
Posted by Heckfire on May 21st, 2014 @ 12:48am CDT
Doctor McGrath wrote:I really don't care for how Rattrap is being characterized so far..

Gotta say, I agree wholly...Rattrap is my favorite TF character, and seeing him turned into this sniveling, toadying, villain wanna-be really darkens what is possibly my favorite period on any TF comic run. I can only hope that, like the Rattrap I know and love from before, this version is simply playing the long con, working his way into Starscream's good graces before revealing he was trying to pry the Silver (er, Red?) Snake out of his position of power for the betterment of all.

Rattrap is like Doc Holiday in "Tombstone," he's the dark agent who sides with the heroes because he can do the things the heroes can't or, more likely, won't. This...thing...in these comics isn't Rattrap, or it's Rattrap before he came to the side of the heroes at best. Of course, everybody probably has one or two characters that they might not agree with the IDW versions...I can't imagine the Japanese fans who voted for a Masterpiece Star Saber figure would be too pleased with the religious fascist from MTMTE either.

Amusing that the best version of a post-BW Rattrap would be the Internal Affairs agent that homages him in the Wild Cards mosaic novel, Fort Freak.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575943)
Posted by Va'al on May 21st, 2014 @ 3:06am CDT
*REC
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

FAT TANKOR, clearly

Story

Aaand we're back on Cybertron, as Windblade recovers from the first issue's explosion, abruptly waking up to the reality of Cybertron and its somehow democratically elected ruler Lord Starscream, and aide Rattrap. Indeed, both her and the other Camien Chromia start digging for proof of ..well, anything. This is Starscream after all.

That kinda sums up the setting

After a fairly painful and actually quite visually uncomfortable moment between the two opposing main characters, Windblade does set with Chromia to investigate the happenings from issue #1, and find out from Metroplex, Ironhide and others what might help them - stumbling across an adorable and well-rounded Waspinator.

At Maccadam's, where else

The dialogue works very well, and there are definitely distinctive voices for different characters, other than the obvious Wazzzzpinator quirks (and he really does shine in this issue, finally a proper, not-exclusively comical look at his character). Starscream gets creepier, Chromia gets tougher, and Windblade has some good, moving moments with Metroplex, too.

*This* is Chromia

Another solid issue, if a little slower compared to the opening one. It feels more like a legal-procedural with political intrigue, with a significant emotional and personal take on some of the key players, and all the better for it in places, less punchy in others.

Art

The artwork, on the other hand, and as fully expected, is still quite marvellous. Sarah Stone's composition of the panels does some really great work in terms of border employment and perspectives, making 'camera angles' more so than initially expected, for example, and sliding in some really really cool shots - and transformation sequences.

"Too close, a little too close"

The colours, of course, do wonders to complement the artwork, and all still at the hands of Stone. But I want to take some time to look at Chris Mowry's lettering, after Scott pointed out something last month: Metroplex's multifaceted speech is due to Mowry's excellent handiwork. And it is magnificent.

See? Magnificent

So yes, the artistic team nails it truly and squarely. And that includes the truly great covers, with the main version by Stone, an amazing Alex Milne and Priscilla Tramontano variant, with a steadfast, defiant Camien, and a haunting continuation of last week's MTMTE #29 incentive by Marcelo Matere and Tramontano again - in the post thumbnail!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The writing is really, truly good, alternating a great dialogue with steady monologue, and bringing out some touching moments of interaction between characters, especially Metroplex and his Cityspeaker. The final sections feel like a tremendous teasing build-up to what's to come next month - and, in fact, that's exactly what they are.

Because Scott is an evil mastermind

I was conflicted about whether the slower pacing would hinder the full enjoyment of the issue, especially compared to last month. On re-reading the story once more, however, and taking in every single panel slowly, the emotional, empathetic, compassionate qualities of Windblade shine onto the often misused Waspinator and resonate with Metroplex, without it ever being too much of an aside. Slower? Yes. But also really quite moving. Bring on the next issue.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: ½ out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1575949)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on May 21st, 2014 @ 3:43am CDT
Heckfire wrote:

I imagine this is probably the case, given he'd been fighting as an Autobot before the truce. I have a feeling Rhinox will be involved in it too, given he's the only Thrilling 30 character I can think of not in the IDW universe, and if he were introduced, he'd probably have been fighting on the same planet as Rattrap.

I would be more interested, though, in seeing events in the series actually change him into the hero he was in Beast Wars. In Beast Wars, Rattrap had a sort of anti-hero thing going on - he didn't fight honorably, he spied on allies and needled them to test their loyalty, and while he could be incredibly brave, it was only when everything hinged on him - not so much because it inspired courage, as much as it was that Rattrap pragmatically wasn't going to waste his heroics on something trivial. He belonged on Firefly, really.

But his odd mishmash of heroics and selfishness, betrayal and bravado, and his long list of martial and espionage skills, just always begged the question - WHERE THE HECK DID HE COME FROM? Although this is not the same universe as Beast Wars, I hope the evolution of this character gives us some idea of how the original Rattrap became the unique character he was.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1576181)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 21st, 2014 @ 10:26pm CDT
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1576255)
Posted by Va'al on May 22nd, 2014 @ 5:10am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:While I really like the way Starsceam is being written by. Scott, I kinda wish he wasn't being portrayed as the sole bad guy here. Granted, we're only two issues in, but that's half-way now. I want to see his side of this tale; I would totally by "The Starscream Version", you know what I'm sayin'?

Well, we are getting some of that in MTMTE, are we not? Plus, pretty much all of RID pre-DC was about him. :D

The perspective in this series is Windblade and Chromia's, mostly, and they're very much new to the whole planet and its ways. Through their eyes, Starscream, and Rattrap, are the sole bad guys!

That's how I read it, anyway. Obviously welcome to disagree. ;)
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1576298)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 22nd, 2014 @ 9:35am CDT
Va'al wrote:

That's how I read it, anyway. Obviously welcome to disagree. ;)

Okay, so looking back at the RID comic, you're right: a lot of it was about Starscream. As for the current MTMTE, we really only got that one scene where they took a recess from the trial. I guess it counts.

And yes, the perspective is something I need to keep in mind. This is "Transformers: Windblade" after all, so I know it needs to focus on her. I just really want to see more of Starscream as drawn by Sarah Stone. :D
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578860)
Posted by Va'al on June 2nd, 2014 @ 11:35am CDT
The folks over at comics distribution sub-site PREVIEWSworld were able to have a chat with IDW Publishing's Transformers writer Mairghread Scott, focusing on the Windblade mini-series which is now halfway through its run. Check out below some snippets, and head here for the full thing!

PREVIEWSworld: In putting together your story, what helped you get in the mood to draw this series? What resources or Transformers history did you draw from to help you visualize where you wanted to go with this series?

Mairghread Scott: Well, I always keep a running soundtrack for whatever I’m writing to help capture the right mood and this was no exception (MIA, Katy Perry and Franz Ferdinand got looped a lot on my iPad), but Sarah Stone, Windblade’s artist, really brought an expressiveness and vibrancy to the characters that I just kept trying to live up to. We drew on everything from Cheers to anime, to Star Trek TNG to try and give each character their own unique attitude and personality and Sarah’s art is all about both. We also tried hard to give them a level of grace and fluidity to their movements. Just because they’re robots, doesn’t mean they’re…you know, robots, and we really tried to push the envelop on both the human and alien aspects of the brand. In terms of lore, I really tried to reframe my brain to that of a newcomer with this series, to make sure I never assumed, “Oh, everyone knows this.” I also wanted to show off all the aspects of Transformers that I love so much: humor, political drama, really unique and challenging fight sequences and a total explosion of different sizes and shapes when it comes to the characters.

[...]

PREVIEWSworld: Will you be hitting the convention scene this year? And how can people get in touch with you using social media?

Mairghread Scott: I’m currently signed up for Bot Con and San Diego, but if I end up going to more I’ll be sure to mention it on Twitter and Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/blog/mscottwrites).
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578877)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 2nd, 2014 @ 12:21pm CDT
Speaking of Windblade, I recently stumbled across this:

Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578915)
Posted by Bounti76 on June 2nd, 2014 @ 3:05pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Speaking of Windblade, I recently stumbled across this:

Hahahahaha!! TOO true.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578922)
Posted by Shadowstream on June 2nd, 2014 @ 3:32pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Speaking of Windblade, I recently stumbled across this:

Hahahahaha!! TOO true.

Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578928)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 2nd, 2014 @ 3:50pm CDT
Shadowstream wrote:Doesn't make her any less exempt from the ridicule as far as I'm concerned. At least Hot Rod wasn't our own damn fault.
True, but at least Windblade, unlike Hot Rod and Drift, wasn't hyped as the greatest thing ever made that we all should totally fall head over heels in love with.

By comparison, Windblade's promotion and introduction have been vastly more tame and humble.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578946)
Posted by Shadowstream on June 2nd, 2014 @ 5:05pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

True, but the only reason it works out like that by comparison I feel has more to do with the huge difference in the transformers franchise between then and now, since there's just so much on the table coming of of the franchise at this point. Even so I still find Windblade overhyped within the realm she's meant to stand in.
Re: Amazon.com Pre-Order - IDW Transformers: Windblade TPB (1578977)
Posted by Blurrz on June 2nd, 2014 @ 10:15pm CDT
Buy

A

Drink

Or

Leave

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "** 2014 - WINDCHARGER Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class **" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DINOBOT SLUG NEW IN BOX" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Heroes Of Cybertron: Generation One Collection Grimlock." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Deluxe DINOBOT SLUDGE Figure Hasbro 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Masterpiece Generation 1: MP-08 Grimlock Robots Action Figu…" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 WRECK-GAR Lot For Parts With Gun, Vintage Takara 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Lot of Transformers Omnibot OVERDRIVE, Brawn, And Wheelie For Parts" on EBAY